Forums/Armchair-GM

Wild Bill strikes early again

Created by: Schmidty2go
Team: 2020-21 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 25, 2021
Published: Feb. 25, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Billy makes two big moves to finally bring home a #1 Center for a franchise that has never had one. Moves both picks this year (that could be lottery picks) and moves out of the first round of a D-heavy draft. He also solves his expansion draft plans as Kahkonen & Addison allow the Wild to move on from Talbot and Dumba.
Trades
MIN
  1. Pinto, Shane [Reserve List]
  2. 2022 1st round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
Ottawa can't be in rebuild forever, and have an available D protection spot with the 7-3-1. They added 6 prospects in the first two rounds of the 2020 draft, so they use some assets to add backend scoring while its RHD prospects continue to develop which don't look ready.
OTT
  1. Dumba, Matt
Additional Details:
Wild get a needed young Center who can win the dot. They also open up flexibility to go into the expansion draft with a 7-3-1 plan as Addison looks like the real deal for next year.
MIN
  1. Eichel, Jack
Additional Details:
Buffalo needs a change of scenery, this isn't working. With Cozens looking to be legit, Eichel's 10m salary will be better divided across players that can help now and 2 picks to continue to build from below.
BUF
  1. Fiala, Kevin
  2. Khovanov, Alexander
  3. Talbot, Cam
  4. 2021 1st round pick (MIN)
  5. 2021 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Wild offer 2 1st round picks that could be lottery. A young dynamic goal scorer in Fiala. A legit starting goalie, something Buffalo has been lacking. And a big young center prospect who is almost NHL ready.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$76,757,757$0$925,000$4,742,243
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$4,100,000$4,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, C
UFA - 1
C, RW
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1
C
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 25, 2021 at 10:52 p.m.
Quoting: Caerii
I would have loved to grab Dawson Mercer or Lukas Reichel at 15 last year, but realistically, the player we get with their pick this year is probably going to be roughly the same quality. However, with this year's pick, there's also a chance that it could be much better (top 10), so I'll take that.

I’m thinking that pick will be Wallstedt range...
Feb. 25, 2021 at 10:52 p.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
I’m not sold we can make the cap work...

Assuming Fiala would be part of the deal, and we could move Dumba in a different deal (or hell, maybe part of the Eichel deal), we could make the cap work.

It just wouldn't leave us a lot of room to upgrade anywhere until Parise or Zuccarello were gone.
jnowariak liked this.
Feb. 25, 2021 at 10:55 p.m.
Quoting: Caerii
Assuming Fiala would be part of the deal, and we could move Dumba in a different deal (or hell, maybe part of the Eichel deal), we could make the cap work.

It just wouldn't leave us a lot of room to upgrade anywhere until Parise or Zuccarello were gone.

Which doesn’t make us more likely to win a cup. Patience and a vision.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 25, 2021 at 10:58 p.m.
Quoting: OutCold13
Wow this is a impressive thread, like 3 pages. Wild aren't getting Eichel, and this wouldn't be the offer to do it. Talbot is a nice goalie for the Wild but Sabres would showcase the holes in his game. Ultimately Eichel ends up in LA or NY. Rangers and Kings have a lot of nice prospects Wild won't be able to out bid them. Watching the Kings now I think they offer Byfield and a bit more and see what happens. Kings are actually within range of a playoff spot and Eichel might put the Kings over the top for the 4 seed.
Last thought if Wild were to make a offer for Eichel, it probably starts with Rossi and Wild 21 and 22 first and then keep adding. Wild would probably need to move Dumba for cap space and assets to include in the deal, IMO.

I know Eichel is the sexy one, but I’d like to hash out the Dumba deal more. I’d hate to banish him to OTT but the move makes sense.
Feb. 25, 2021 at 10:59 p.m.
Wow this is a impressive thread, like 3 pages. Wild aren't getting Eichel, and this wouldn't be the offer to do it. Talbot is a nice goalie for the Wild but Sabres would showcase the holes in his game. Ultimately Eichel ends up in LA or NY. Rangers and Kings have a lot of nice prospects Wild won't be able to out bid them. Watching the Kings now I think they offer Byfield and a bit more and see what happens. Kings are actually within range of a playoff spot and Eichel might put the Kings over the top for the 4 seed.
Last thought if Wild were to make a offer for Eichel, it probably starts with Rossi and Wild 21 and 22 first and then keep adding. Wild would probably need to move Dumba for cap space and assets to include in the deal, IMO.

Agree with everything you said, although i do hope our gm has the stones to stick to his guns if its byfield or laf/kk. Many sabres fans, myself included, thought the worst crime of the ror trade was taking stl 4th best prospect. Hes awful, like just awful, but you cant teach tall. Hope you guys get a franchise center soon, it sucks wandering the desert, these guys never hit the market- trade or ufa, and its a bugger to hit on one out of the top 5.
OutCold13 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2021 at 11:04 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
I know Eichel is the sexy one, but I’d like to hash out the Dumba deal more. I’d hate to banish him to OTT but the move makes sense.

I would hope Dumba could return this but I don't really see a reason for Senators to do it, they know they suck and won't be contending so why pay Dumba's salary and wait 2 weeks. If they did this it would be the off-season. IMO.
jnowariak liked this.
Feb. 25, 2021 at 11:07 p.m.
I would hope Dumba could return this but I don't really see a reason for Senators to do it, they know they suck and won't be contending so why pay Dumba's salary and wait 2 weeks. If they did this it would be the off-season. IMO.

Oh definitely. It’s more the idea and whether it’s a reasonable return for both sides. For what it’s worth, I hate NoDak. And by proxy am suspicious of NoDak prospects. It took me years to come around to Parise.

I want a trade everyday so I am in no position to say do this now or 3 months down the road.
OutCold13 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2021 at 11:09 p.m.
Way off
Feb. 25, 2021 at 11:14 p.m.
Schmidty2go

LA will struggle with Cap Space as they have to sign Iafallo + 6 UFA's with 24m (which will only be 14m with Eichel. In addition, they have an aging Quick with no really backup... so he's right back into a losing team with no goalie. Yes, they have better prospects but if they are traded away to get him... then there isn't much coming to help him.

MTL has all the assets, just no Cap Space. They could put together a very serious offer if they wanted... Caufield, Poehling, etc. They also have 14 picks in the 2021 draft lol

NYR have some good prospects but I am not sure they are willing to trade most of them and 6 our of their top 7 are defenseman. Is Buffalo going to take 3 D prospects instead? Doubtful

I will be interesting to see where he ends up. Thanks all for your input into this trade thread.
OutCold13 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2021 at 11:17 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Oh definitely. It’s more the idea and whether it’s a reasonable return for both sides. For what it’s worth, I hate NoDak. And by proxy am suspicious of NoDak prospects. It took me years to come around to Parise.

I want a trade everyday so I am in no position to say do this now or 3 months down the road.

That fighting hawks symbol is among the worst in sports. I always want trades too, but I'm hoping once the Wild are real contenders that will die down some.
jnowariak liked this.
Feb. 25, 2021 at 11:19 p.m.
That fighting hawks symbol is among the worst in sports. I always want trades too, but I'm hoping once the Wild are real contenders that will die down some.

I really hope we don’t turn into the leafs.
OutCold13 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2021 at 11:27 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: Schmidty2go
LA will struggle with Cap Space as they have to sign Iafallo + 6 UFA's with 24m (which will only be 14m with Eichel. In addition, they have an aging Quick with no really backup... so he's right back into a losing team with no goalie. Yes, they have better prospects but if they are traded away to get him... then there isn't much coming to help him.

MTL has all the assets, just no Cap Space. They could put together a very serious offer if they wanted... Caufield, Poehling, etc. They also have 14 picks in the 2021 draft lol

NYR have some good prospects but I am not sure they are willing to trade most of them and 6 our of their top 7 are defenseman. Is Buffalo going to take 3 D prospects instead? Doubtful

I will be interesting to see where he ends up. Thanks all for your input into this trade thread.

Kings have that cal Peterson, who they are high on and rightfully so, he has looked pretty good everytime I see him play.
Definitely right the cap will play into this equation, but Eichel gets 10mil AAV so that will be a factor for any team that goes after him. The price will be interesting, but Eichel wanting out and the flat cap will drive down his value also GMs won't want to put huge holes in their current lineups, otherwise risk having Jack pout in a Buffalo 2.0 situation.
Schmidty2go liked this.
Feb. 25, 2021 at 11:28 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
I really hope we don’t turn into the leafs.

There are worse things then having Matthews and Marner on your team. J/k I know what you mean.
Feb. 25, 2021 at 11:39 p.m.
With Norris and Stuzzle looking to be legit, you going to play Pinto as your 3C?

pinto has a much higher celling than norris
Feb. 26, 2021 at 12:57 a.m.
The 2022 draft is going to be very strong at the top. Zero chance Ottawa parts with their lottery ticket. And to anyone saying the pick might not be in the lottery, adding Matt Dumba doesn't transform last place into a playoff position. Sens fans expect a step forward next year and hopefully that step is playoff contention, Dorion will no doubt make some moves but Pinto and a 2022 first is an overpay.
Feb. 26, 2021 at 9:56 a.m.
We've been "hoping" for 20 years for a #1 Center.... need to stop hoping and move the assets to get him. Those other teams can offer more prospects, but not the same amount of draft capital or are in any better shape than the Wild. I think the Wild are closer than LA, and I am not sure the Canes are even interested. The Rangers are, and have good prospects but have said they won't move Laf or Kakko... so then how good is the rest of the prospects they can offer?

Look I'm in full agreement, the fact we haven't had a 1C in the 20 years we've been a franchise is laughable. I just don't think we can compete with the teams I mentioned. Sure we have draft capital, but LA has 3 stud centers in their system to offer while we only have 1 and Eichel is only 24 so it doesn't matter how close they are (plus they are winning games), NYR has some stud winger prospects (they'd be crazy to not offer Kappo IMO) and maybe even a 1C to give them while we only have 1 stud winger we should consider moving for Eichel (Fiala, I'd rather have Kaprizov), and Carolina is always in the mix for good players and they have a ton of good players/assets.

And again, you have to keep Eichel happy. If you give up all that you better be damn sure we win games and consistently make the playoffs which probably won't happen until Boldy, Rossi, and our other prospects are on the team so Eicel would need to be patient (which he clearly is sick of doing, understandably).
Feb. 26, 2021 at 10:49 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: TanSor
Look I'm in full agreement, the fact we haven't had a 1C in the 20 years we've been a franchise is laughable. I just don't think we can compete with the teams I mentioned. Sure we have draft capital, but LA has 3 stud centers in their system to offer while we only have 1 and Eichel is only 24 so it doesn't matter how close they are (plus they are winning games), NYR has some stud winger prospects (they'd be crazy to not offer Kappo IMO) and maybe even a 1C to give them while we only have 1 stud winger we should consider moving for Eichel (Fiala, I'd rather have Kaprizov), and Carolina is always in the mix for good players and they have a ton of good players/assets.

And again, you have to keep Eichel happy. If you give up all that you better be damn sure we win games and consistently make the playoffs which probably won't happen until Boldy, Rossi, and our other prospects are on the team so Eicel would need to be patient (which he clearly is sick of doing, understandably).

I'm a firm believer in staying the course for Minnesota. The biggest challenge will be navigating the Parise and Suter contracts as they decline, but they have some good prospects and with players like Kaprizov and Fiala looking like they'll be stars, why go after a big fish like Eichel that comes with a huge contract? Let's pretend they make the deal in this ACGM, how do you afford Kaprizov and Fiala if you could get them signed through their prime to good contracts with $10m Eichel, $7.5m Suter, Parise, and Spurgeon, $6m Brodin and Zucc? That's around half your cap tied up in those players and you still need to pay Fiala, Kaprizov, Erickson Ek soon and potentially Kahkonen, Addison, Rossi, Boldy after that before all of those deals come off the books. The cap isn't going to go up significantly for another 2-3 years I'd think.
TanSor liked this.
Feb. 26, 2021 at 3:24 p.m.
Schmidty2go
Quoting: JayTea
I'm a firm believer in staying the course for Minnesota. The biggest challenge will be navigating the Parise and Suter contracts as they decline, but they have some good prospects and with players like Kaprizov and Fiala looking like they'll be stars, why go after a big fish like Eichel that comes with a huge contract? Let's pretend they make the deal in this ACGM, how do you afford Kaprizov and Fiala if you could get them signed through their prime to good contracts with $10m Eichel, $7.5m Suter, Parise, and Spurgeon, $6m Brodin and Zucc? That's around half your cap tied up in those players and you still need to pay Fiala, Kaprizov, Erickson Ek soon and potentially Kahkonen, Addison, Rossi, Boldy after that before all of those deals come off the books. The cap isn't going to go up significantly for another 2-3 years I'd think.

It's a fair question, which is why I had the Dumba deal in here... to clear that 6m and also sent Fiala on the Eichel deal. My concern is Fiala has had almost a half a season of good play... I am really concerned he will want north of 7m and I am not comfortable paying him that with what he has shown for how long he has shown it. So to me moving Fiala out (and Dumba in the other deal) gives us more than enough room for Eichel and paying K97 plus those others.

As far as staying the course... what happens if Rossi isn't the #1 C next year? The UFA's gone, Boldy won't be up here next year... so we have even more holes and only a little cap space. You waste valuable years of K97. Additionally, It's critical we move Dumba to lower the investment on the backend. You need to get Suter to waive his NTC for the expansion draft to protect Soucy. But in the end we need to make some moves because it's unlikely we'll find that #1C/#2C in this upcoming draft as it's D-Heavy and we don't need D replacements for a few years with our current core.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll