Forums/Armchair-GM

eichel before expansion draft

Created by: Mediumyeet
Team: 2021-22 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 28, 2021
Published: Feb. 28, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Made a similar post earlier from Buffalo's perspective earlier. THIS TRADE IS DONE BEFORE THE EXPANSION DRAFT BUT AFTER THE SEASON

Buffalo rebuilds with a great haul of prospects for Eichel and gets Dumba which they can keep or flip for more prospects/picks.

Minnesota gets franchise C Eichel but gives up two really good prospects in Rossi and Boldy as well as one of their 2 1st round picks this year. They also trade Dumba as it makes the cap work and allows them to protect 7 forwards 3 d in the expansion. If they keep Dumba then they will probably have to pay Seattle not to take him or they will end up giving up Greenway or Eriksson Ek in the expansion.

If they wanted to protect Dumba in expansion they would have to protect: Parise (NMC), Zucc (NMC), Fiala, one of Ek or Greenway, Suter (NMC), Spurgeon (NMC), Brodin (NMC), Dumba.

In this trade they add Talbot, both of Buffalo's goalies are UFA right now. Minnesota adding Talbot helps with their cap space and they can run with Stalock, Kahkonnen. Minny also get's Lazar as a cheap 4th line roster player.

Minny now protects: Eichel, Parise, Zucc, Fiala, EK, Greenway, Foligno, Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, Kahkonen.

I assume Seattle then takes Hartman (RFA) or Rask. If they take Rask it gives Minny a bit more flexibility and they could probably sign Ek to a bit more term and AAV but I think Seattle would probably take Hartman.

Cap is tight but Minny is able to fill out the last couple of roster spots with some cheap signings. (PLEASE DON'T GET TO FOCUSED ON CODY CECI IT'S JUST A RANDOM CHEAP DMAN)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$750,000
5$7,000,000
1$750,000
7$6,500,000
1$750,000
1$3,200,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
1$900,000
Trades
MIN
    SEATTLE
    BUF
    1. Hartman, Ryan [RFA Rights]
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$68,666,667$0$940,000$12,833,333
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Minnesota Wild
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 5
    $750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $3,100,000$3,100,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $900,000$900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    C
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,650,000$3,650,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $7,575,000$7,575,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $725,000$725,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $785,000$785,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:12 p.m.
    Banned
    buf wants fiala
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:14 p.m.
    Yeah, they need a roster player back that is a forward. Their defense is fine. Plus it is too risky with Rossi due to his unfortunate covid symptoms.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:16 p.m.
    Not if they're trading Eichel. Trading Eichel is a decision to rebuild stock up on prospects. You build a new core around Cozens, Dahlin, Jack Quinn, Rossi, Boldy, Mittelstadt (to a lesser extent). Fiala doesn't make sense for Minnesota if they're getting Eichel to open up a cup window. Also if they add Fiala then there's no way Rossi is in the deal as well. Rossi would be more valuable to Buffalo after they just traded a franchise C.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:16 p.m.
    Not very attractive due to different factors.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:17 p.m.
    Quoting: sabresspoonz3737
    buf wants fiala

Not if they're trading Eichel. Trading Eichel is a decision to rebuild stock up on prospects. You build a new core around Cozens, Dahlin, Jack Quinn, Rossi, Boldy, Mittelstadt (to a lesser extent). Fiala doesn't make sense for Minnesota if they're getting Eichel to open up a cup window. Also if they add Fiala then there's no way Rossi is in the deal as well. Rossi would be more valuable to Buffalo after they just traded a franchise C.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:19 p.m.
    Quoting: Sabreshockey53
    Yeah, they need a roster player back that is a forward. Their defense is fine. Plus it is too risky with Rossi due to his unfortunate covid symptoms.

They don't trade Eichel in hopes of staying competitive in my opinion. They get Dumba so they can flip him for more prospects. And they build around a new young core. I don't think Rossi's issues with Covid make him risky.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:20 p.m.
    Quoting: SalamiCheese
    Not very attractive due to different factors.

Care to elaborate on those factors?
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:22 p.m.
    Quoting: Mediumyeet
    They don't trade Eichel in hopes of staying competitive in my opinion. They get Dumba so they can flip him for more prospects. And they build around a new young core. I don't think Rossi's issues with Covid make him risky.

I disagree. I would think they would want prospects picks and a 2nd or 3rd line forward that is under contract. A team like Vegas has all of that.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:26 p.m.
    Fiala
    Greenway
    Khovanov/Khusnutdinov
    Lottery protected 1st
    Bonino or Johansson for cap

Best I can do, sorry
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:32 p.m.
    Again, I don't see us giving you both Rossi and Boldy. It's one or the other. There is no package where you get both.

Slot Beckman in place of Boldy if you must but you're not getting both. I'm a broken record at this point.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:36 p.m.
    Care to elaborate on those factors?

We don't need Dumba, especially if we are trade Eichel for futures package. Rossi is questionable because of his health and we also didn't draft him, but we could. Talbot also has no value to us in this case.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:39 p.m.
    Quoting: Caerii
    Fiala
    Greenway
    Khovanov/Khusnutdinov
    Lottery protected 1st
    Bonino or Johansson for cap

Best I can do, sorry

This would make no sense. First off the deal is done after the season so johansson or bonino do nothing for the cap because they are UFA. Second, you’re giving up 2 good roster players plus you’re gonna have to protect dumba so you can only protect 4 forwards which means you’ll also lose foligno or Hartman. Minnesota would have eichel but they’d be a worse team overall. Buffalo would have greenway and Fiala but no C so likely still flounder for a few more years at which point Fiala will be in his late 20’s
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:41 p.m.
    This would make no sense. First off the deal is done after the season so johansson or bonino do nothing for the cap because they are UFA. Second, you’re giving up 2 good roster players plus you’re gonna have to protect dumba so you can only protect 4 forwards which means you’ll also lose foligno or Hartman. Minnesota would have eichel but they’d be a worse team overall. Buffalo would have greenway and Fiala but no C so likely still flounder for a few more years at which point Fiala will be in his late 20’s

Sorry mate, not giving up Dumba, Rossi, Boldy and a 1st. That's the best I can do.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 8:46 p.m.
    Quoting: Caerii
    Sorry mate, not giving up Dumba, Rossi, Boldy and a 1st. That's the best I can do.

That's fair. I'm just saying that your suggestion wouldn't make sense for either team. Makes both teams worse.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 9:05 p.m.
    We don't need Dumba, especially if we are trade Eichel for futures package. Rossi is questionable because of his health and we also didn't draft him, but we could. Talbot also has no value to us in this case.

Dumba would be for cap/expansion purposes from Minnesota's side. For Buffalo, they would protect him in expansion and then flip him for more picks/prospects after the expansion when teams don't have to worry about protecting him.

Rossi is expected to recover from Covid with time. Just because they picked Jack Quinn over him doesn't mean they don't like him it just means that they liked Quinn more. I'm sure they would have loved to take both of them. Consensus around the league is that Rossi is a valuable prospect.

Talbot is strictly for Minnesota cap purposes. Buffalo can sign Ullmark, let Hutton walk (he's 35), and then expose Talbot. If Talbot gets picked up then so be it and they can call up Ukko-Lukonnaen or circle back on Hutton or another free agent goalie to pair with Ullmark for now.

This package leaves Buffalo with a young core of players/prospects in Cozens, Dahlin, Jokiharju, Quinn, Rossi, Boldy, an additional 1st rounder plus whatever Dumba is flipped for (another 1st+prospect) or solid young player. I was looking at the flyers for specifically for a Dumba flip with Morgan Frost and a pick. But there will be a lot of interest in Dumba after the expansion especially because Buffalo would have the capspace to take back a short term bad contract to make it work if need be.
    gretzkyghosts liked this.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 9:16 p.m.
    Dumba would be for cap/expansion purposes from Minnesota's side. For Buffalo, they would protect him in expansion and then flip him for more picks/prospects after the expansion when teams don't have to worry about protecting him.

Rossi is expected to recover from Covid with time. Just because they picked Jack Quinn over him doesn't mean they don't like him it just means that they liked Quinn more. I'm sure they would have loved to take both of them. Consensus around the league is that Rossi is a valuable prospect.

Talbot is strictly for Minnesota cap purposes. Buffalo can sign Ullmark, let Hutton walk (he's 35), and then expose Talbot. If Talbot gets picked up then so be it and they can call up Ukko-Lukonnaen or circle back on Hutton or another free agent goalie to pair with Ullmark for now.

This package leaves Buffalo with a young core of players/prospects in Cozens, Dahlin, Jokiharju, Quinn, Rossi, Boldy, an additional 1st rounder plus whatever Dumba is flipped for (another 1st+prospect) or solid young player. I was looking at the flyers for specifically for a Dumba flip with Morgan Frost and a pick. But there will be a lot of interest in Dumba after the expansion especially because Buffalo would have the capspace to take back a short term bad contract to make it work if need be.

But this will be problematic, because we will need to protect Dahlin, Risto and Jokiharju or Borgen, if we go 4 - 4 - 1 in the expansion draft, but then we will have to protect Skinner and Okposo becuase NMC, as well as Reinhart and Olofsson, but then Mittelstadt will be left without protection, and he looks very good now. I like Rossi, but it's just a matter of his health and risks. We can't screw up with the top 6 C trading again. These are difficult moments and factors.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 9:22 p.m.
    But this will be problematic, because we will need to protect Dahlin, Risto and Jokiharju or Borgen, if we go 4 - 4 - 1 in the expansion draft, but then we will have to protect Skinner and Okposo becuase NMC, as well as Reinhart and Olofsson, but then Mittelstadt will be left without protection, and he looks very good now. I like Rossi, but it's just a matter of his health and risks. We can't screw up with the top 6 C trading again. These are difficult moments and factors.

Okposo doesn't have to be protected he has a modified NTC not a NMC. It would probably leave Eakin exposed. I would agree on the health issues if there seems to be a concern over him playing again but at the moment there doesn't seem to be any concern there. Buffalo would have to be allowed the opportunity to talk to Rossi's doctors and be pretty confident that there's no long term concern to his playing career.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 9:31 p.m.
    Okposo doesn't have to be protected he has a modified NTC not a NMC. It would probably leave Eakin exposed. I would agree on the health issues if there seems to be a concern over him playing again but at the moment there doesn't seem to be any concern there. Buffalo would have to be allowed the opportunity to talk to Rossi's doctors and be pretty confident that there's no long term concern to his playing career.

Well then we would just protect Dahlin, Risto, Borgen and Jokiharju (D). Reinhart, Olofsson, Mittelstadt and any other forward. Maybe it made sense to trade Dumba before the expansion draft, for sure there are teams that would be interested in Dumba and could easily protect him. Rossi's only question is health, if his forecasts are positive, then it is possible. Although Buffalo would definitely listen to all offers from different teams.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 9:34 p.m.
    Well then we would just protect Dahlin, Risto, Borgen and Jokiharju (D). Reinhart, Olofsson, Mittelstadt and any other forward. Maybe it made sense to trade Dumba before the expansion draft, for sure there are teams that would be interested in Dumba and could easily protect him. Rossi's only question is health, if his forecasts are positive, then it is possible. Although Buffalo would definitely listen to all offers from different teams.

Ya fair enough. If they could make it a three team deal right away that would be even better.
    SalamiCheese liked this.
    Feb. 28, 2021 at 10:03 p.m.

Looking at it more, I think there is a good chance that Skinner will waive his NMC for the expansion draft which would allow Buffalo to protect Reinhart, Oloffson, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Jokiharju, Risto, Borgen, Dumba.

Dumba's value would go way up after the expansion because there are very few teams that don't have an issue with D protection if they take on Dumba prior to the expansion.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll