Forums/Armchair-GM

Hall-in with Kuznechkin

Created by: Eli
Team: 2020-21 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 2, 2021
Published: Mar. 2, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Eichel is not going anywhere at a price that makes sense. Next idea.

How much of a favorite is this team to win this year's Stanley Cup? Is it worth it, given how slowly a couple of the Rangers' prospects have been developing? If not, what balances things out?
Trades
TOR
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (BUF)
  2. 2023 7th round pick (NYR)
NSH
  1. 2021 7th round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Hall, Taylor ($4,000,000 retained)
BUF
  1. Buchnevich, Pavel
  2. Johnson, Jack
  3. 2022 1st round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Chara, Zdeno
Additional Details:
He signed cheap to get a shot at the title with Ovechkin, I think.
WSH
    include, above.
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$73,308,221$0$8,142,500$8,191,779
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Washington Capitals
    $5,288,462$5,288,462
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $11,642,857$11,642,857
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $0$0
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $5,350,000$5,350,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $1,550,000$1,550,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,425,000$2,425,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$730,000$730K)
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    G
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $874,125$874,125
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Nashville Predators
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    Taxi Squad
    $825,000$825,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    G
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    C
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 2, 2021 at 3:02 p.m.
    You'd have to give more to get Dermott out of Toronto. He's a young, solid 3rd pairing option who has looked at times like he will grow into a 2nd pairing. Beyond that, being bait for Seattle in a spot that the Leafs can easily replace is worth more to the team than a 3rd round pick.

If you wanted one of Toronto's 3rd pairing left d for a 3rd round pick, the more realistic option is Lehtonen as he's not an RFA.
    Eli liked this.
    Mar. 2, 2021 at 3:09 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: Byrr
    You'd have to give more to get Dermott out of Toronto. He's a young, solid 3rd pairing option who has looked at times like he will grow into a 2nd pairing. Beyond that, being bait for Seattle in a spot that the Leafs can easily replace is worth more to the team than a 3rd round pick.

If you wanted one of Toronto's 3rd pairing left d for a 3rd round pick, the more realistic option is Lehtonen as he's not an RFA.

Lehtonen works. He had a strong start. The Rangers' blue line really gets fixed in two to four more weeks, whenever Trouba gets back.
    Mar. 2, 2021 at 3:26 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Would rather keep my first overall pick from last year and try to sign Ovie from free agency for free.

It's about as unlikely as Ovechkin waiving his NTC.
    Radu47 and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
    Mar. 2, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
    Props for creativity, but Caps aren't trading Ovie.
    Mar. 2, 2021 at 3:43 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: justaBoss
    Would rather keep my first overall pick from last year and try to sign Ovie from free agency for free.

It's about as unlikely as Ovechkin waiving his NTC.

Ovechkin's m-NTC has a secret list of eight teams he can be traded to. So as casual fans without access, there's no reason not to speculate on what he'd be worth to any team that (a) is in a big city (b) looked like a playoff team in the offseason, and/or (c) has another Russian superstar Ovechkin might want to try playing with.

If the Rangers take out their second-highest rookie scorer (and 30th in the NHL), what would they put in, instead? It looks like a lot of pieces, but you figure there's a 1st for max retention on Ovechkin, Schneider (late 1st, too soon to tell if he's any good) for dumping two bad contracts, Chytil for Vrana, and Lafreniere for Ovechkin. You think WSH goes lower than that? Read this chart carefully: http://www.nhl.com/ice/rookies.htm?fetchKey=20212ALLSRSAll&sort=points&viewName=summary and then tell me what NYR adds instead.
    Mar. 2, 2021 at 3:55 p.m.
    Go Preds
    Nashville accepts
    Eli liked this.
    Mar. 2, 2021 at 3:55 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: Eli
    Ovechkin's m-NTC has a secret list of eight teams he can be traded to. So as casual fans without access, there's no reason not to speculate on what he'd be worth to any team that (a) is in a big city (b) looked like a playoff team in the offseason, and/or (c) has another Russian superstar Ovechkin might want to try playing with.

If the Rangers take out their second-highest rookie scorer (and 30th in the NHL), what would they put in, instead? It looks like a lot of pieces, but you figure there's a 1st for max retention on Ovechkin, Schneider (late 1st, too soon to tell if he's any good) for dumping two bad contracts, Chytil for Vrana, and Lafreniere for Ovechkin. You think WSH goes lower than that? Read this chart carefully: http://www.nhl.com/ice/rookies.htm?fetchKey=20212ALLSRSAll&sort=points&viewName=summary and then tell me what NYR adds instead.

Seeing that Rangers aren't exactly a playoff team at the moment, and their biggest weakness is their center, spending overly much their youngsters on a 35 year old pending UFA winger is probably the stupidest thing possible they could do.

They have no reason to go after the guy, nor have WSH any reason to trade Ovechkin.
    Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
    Mar. 2, 2021 at 5:15 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Some people like to argue. They'll see you trade some wing prospects for an all-star center with a recent 80 point season, plus a rental on a wing, and tell you it's bad because the team needs help at center. The above team has depth at center. That's what makes it a contender.
    Mar. 2, 2021 at 7:33 p.m.
    Emotionally in 2018
    How are you a Caps fan
    Eli liked this.
    Mar. 2, 2021 at 9:22 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: krakowitz
    How are you a Caps fan

Strategery.
    Mar. 3, 2021 at 7:45 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Seeing that Rangers aren't exactly a playoff team at the moment, and their biggest weakness is their center, spending overly much their youngsters on a 35 year old pending UFA winger is probably the stupidest thing possible they could do.

They have no reason to go after the guy, nor have WSH any reason to trade Ovechkin.

The above Rangers have two #2 centers and a bunch of #4 centers. Adding a #1C in Kuznetsov gives them good center depth. Adding Ovechkin and Hall to a roster that already has Panarin, Kakko, and Kreider gives them insanely good wing depth. Their goalies are fine. Their blue line needs life support until Trouba gets back, but that's easy. Read the above roster, and not just the trades, and tell me a slumping, beat-up Pit or an Ovechkinless WSH can make the playoffs this year ahead of them? They're in. They're contenders.

If the Rangers keep what they have, they'll draft 11th overall, accidentally passing Vancouver, NSH, and Ari as those teams sell off pieces and NYR doesn't. Is that worth throwing away a chance at the Cup?

This is a terrible trade for the Caps, but it gets them three recent 1st round picks who you can't quite call busts yet, and one 1st in the upcoming draft. Compared to the possibility of losing Ovechkin as a UFA, it's not great, but it's something.
    Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:07 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    The above Rangers have two #2 centers and a bunch of #4 centers. Adding a #1C in Kuznetsov gives them good center depth. Adding Ovechkin and Hall to a roster that already has Panarin, Kakko, and Kreider gives them insanely good wing depth. Their goalies are fine. Their blue line needs life support until Trouba gets back, but that's easy. Read the above roster, and not just the trades, and tell me a slumping, beat-up Pit or an Ovechkinless WSH can make the playoffs this year ahead of them? They're in. They're contenders.

If the Rangers keep what they have, they'll draft 11th overall, accidentally passing Vancouver, NSH, and Ari as those teams sell off pieces and NYR doesn't. Is that worth throwing away a chance at the Cup?

This is a terrible trade for the Caps, but it gets them three recent 1st round picks who you can't quite call busts yet, and one 1st in the upcoming draft. Compared to the possibility of losing Ovechkin as a UFA, it's not great, but it's something.

Terrible trade for Caps my ass. If it's so bad, why even suggest it? Because long-term Caps are winning so much here it isn't even fun.

It reminds me of the Forsberg for Erat trade, with the multiplier of 10.

Let WSH keep their Russians. NYR will keep their youth and build through it slowly. They have no hurry to succeed.
    Mar. 4, 2021 at 6:37 a.m.
    Who adds what?
    Terrible trade for Caps my ass. If it's so bad, why even suggest it? Because long-term Caps are winning so much here it isn't even fun.

It reminds me of the Forsberg for Erat trade, with the multiplier of 10.

Let WSH keep their Russians. NYR will keep their youth and build through it slowly. They have no hurry to succeed.

Cool. WSH will just contend this year, and NYR can hope that Lafreniere is actually good. Honestly, if you don't like Russians, swap out Laf for Kravtsov, who seems more on track right now to be good at pro hockey. Writing people off because of their nationality is dumb.

Erat was never good, and got his numbers blown up by getting huge minutes on a bad team. If you want a parallel, look at how some people still think Deangelo has positive value. smile
    Mar. 4, 2021 at 7:54 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    Cool. WSH will just contend this year, and NYR can hope that Lafreniere is actually good. Honestly, if you don't like Russians, swap out Laf for Kravtsov, who seems more on track right now to be good at pro hockey. Writing people off because of their nationality is dumb.

Erat was never good, and got his numbers blown up by getting huge minutes on a bad team. If you want a parallel, look at how some people still think Deangelo has positive value. smile

That won't be an issue. Laffy will turn out just great.

I have nothing against Russians, the players you offered to NYR just happened to be from there. Well, aside from LaDue, but he brings nothing to the exchange.
    Mar. 4, 2021 at 8:07 a.m.
    Who adds what?
    That won't be an issue. Laffy will turn out just great.

I have nothing against Russians, the players you offered to NYR just happened to be from there. Well, aside from LaDue, but he brings nothing to the exchange.

Chara's in there, too, if you keep reading. And he's having a pretty good year. You can add to either side, or change what you want, but when this board just has people saying, "no. bad. wrong," all the time, we don't make anything happen, and it isn't as fun. Can you tell me what you think a rental of last year's Richard trophy winner should cost, or what five years of a #1C who's off to a slow start is worth? Or what Chara at league minimum is worth? Ladue, I know, isn't much. But I think Ovechkin is worth an A+ prospect, which Lafreniere might or might not still be, and then retaining half on his contract is worth another late 1st, which is where Schneider comes in. Five years of Kuznetsov is only worth a prospect and a late 1st, this week, because he had a slow start to this year. Then I have the Caps just throwing in Chara, and taking two bad contracts for free. Or do you still give Deangelo positive trade value after he physically attacked a teammate, following a game where he was individually -5?
    Mar. 4, 2021 at 9:06 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    Chara's in there, too, if you keep reading. And he's having a pretty good year. You can add to either side, or change what you want, but when this board just has people saying, "no. bad. wrong," all the time, we don't make anything happen, and it isn't as fun. Can you tell me what you think a rental of last year's Richard trophy winner should cost, or what five years of a #1C who's off to a slow start is worth? Or what Chara at league minimum is worth? Ladue, I know, isn't much. But I think Ovechkin is worth an A+ prospect, which Lafreniere might or might not still be, and then retaining half on his contract is worth another late 1st, which is where Schneider comes in. Five years of Kuznetsov is only worth a prospect and a late 1st, this week, because he had a slow start to this year. Then I have the Caps just throwing in Chara, and taking two bad contracts for free. Or do you still give Deangelo positive trade value after he physically attacked a teammate, following a game where he was individually -5?

Ovechkin's value to WSH is more than anything any team would be willing to give for the guy. WSH wants at least an A+ prospect, but no team is willing to give this much for a 36 year old pending UFA winger who's numbers have declined from what they were year ago. I don't think there's any reasonable comparable to this, but maybe the Martin St. Louis trade from Tampa to Rangers, but with a bit less coming from NYR since it's only a one year matter. It's the only recent enough example of a top level player being traded at such age. In this case, maybe Ovie for Kreider+Schneider+2022+1st.

Kuznetsov is the most valuable piece from WSH here imo due to term, position and contract. But I wouldn't move Laffy for the guy. Maybe Strome+Robertson+1st+2nd.

Chara's 43 year old bottom pair D with a full NMC. He won't be moving, and even if he did, he'd probably net a 3rd like any depth D.

But as said in the first place, NYR is not in position to make such exchange. And neither is WSH. So I don't really get the point in these teams moving assets.

And yes, if I'm WSH I'd absolutely decline a Kuzy+Ovie for Kreider+Strome+Schneider+Robertson+1st+1st+2nd exchange, but that's around apt value if you ask me.

Deangelo and Smith suck, but NYR wouldn't involve them in the trade anyhow. Deangelo will be bought out at summer and Smith is walking, probably both of them taking the next step of their careers in KHL.
    Mar. 4, 2021 at 9:16 a.m.
    Who adds what?
    Ovechkin's value to WSH is more than anything any team would be willing to give for the guy. WSH wants at least an A+ prospect, but no team is willing to give this much for a 36 year old pending UFA winger who's numbers have declined from what they were year ago. I don't think there's any reasonable comparable to this, but maybe the Martin St. Louis trade from Tampa to Rangers, but with a bit less coming from NYR since it's only a one year matter. It's the only recent enough example of a top level player being traded at such age. In this case, maybe Ovie for Kreider+Schneider+2022+1st.

Kuznetsov is the most valuable piece from WSH here imo due to term, position and contract. But I wouldn't move Laffy for the guy. Maybe Strome+Robertson+1st+2nd.

Chara's 43 year old bottom pair D with a full NMC. He won't be moving, and even if he did, he'd probably net a 3rd like any depth D.

But as said in the first place, NYR is not in position to make such exchange. And neither is WSH. So I don't really get the point in these teams moving assets.

And yes, if I'm WSH I'd absolutely decline a Kuzy+Ovie for Kreider+Strome+Schneider+Robertson+1st+1st+2nd exchange, but that's around apt value if you ask me.

Deangelo and Smith suck, but NYR wouldn't involve them in the trade anyhow. Deangelo will be bought out at summer and Smith is walking, probably both of them taking the next step of their careers in KHL.

I don't hate it. A top six of Vrana-Backstrom-Wilson, Kreider-Strome-Oshie still pushes for this year's playoffs, though, so it's harder for the Rangers to be sure they get a spot, to say nothing of having one less great forward line when they get there. With my trade, they're in, and they're heavily favored to win. I can see how, as a Stars fan, that would bother you. smile
    Mar. 4, 2021 at 9:19 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    I don't hate it. A top six of Vrana-Backstrom-Wilson, Kreider-Strome-Oshie still pushes for this year's playoffs, though, so it's harder for the Rangers to be sure they get a spot, to say nothing of having one less great forward line when they get there. With my trade, they're in, and they're heavily favored to win. I can see how, as a Stars fan, that would bother you. smile

Rangers are still on the retooling process. They made it clear a while back that they will be rebuilding, and the rebuild's far from complete.

From DAL fan's pov, this trade means nothing to me. We suck so bad right now that we're not making the playoffs. In terms of their roster, a complete sh*tshow like CHI is better than us. A retool of our own is looming in the future.
    Mar. 4, 2021 at 9:24 a.m.
    Who adds what?
    Rangers are still on the retooling process. They made it clear a while back that they will be rebuilding, and the rebuild's far from complete.

From DAL fan's pov, this trade means nothing to me. We suck so bad right now that we're not making the playoffs. In terms of their roster, a complete sh*tshow like CHI is better than us. A retool of our own is looming in the future.

You think so? I counted Dallas out too early a few years ago, and learned they can be a pretty good team in the second half of the season. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're back in the Finals.
    Mar. 4, 2021 at 9:40 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    You think so? I counted Dallas out too early a few years ago, and learned they can be a pretty good team in the second half of the season. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're back in the Finals.

I certainly hope so, but with the injuries piling up at our top forwards added to the fact that we've struggled with scoring for years now topped with this division being defensively so tough, I'm not optimistic. Plus we tend to choke out against weaklings like CHI or DET. Props to Hawks honestly, they've made through tough opponents with good chemistry and their top players performing admirably well, but their roster is still comparably very, very thin.

Something big would need to happen for Dallas to break this losing streak. Our last 10 games are like 1-6-3 or something. Nothing to be proud about.
    Eli liked this.
    Mar. 4, 2021 at 10:16 a.m.
    No one commented on the trade with Buffalo.
    I would have expected either a Ranger or Sabre fan would say something.
    That trade would actually help Buffalo this year.
    Buchnevich, would be a great addition to the RW and PK
    Johnson, Dahlin is Buffalo's only LHD.
    2022 1st, always nice to have.
    If this was offered, and I was the Sabre GM, I would take it.
    Skinner Eichel Reinhart
    Olofsson Staal Cozens
    Mittelstadt Lazar Buchnevich
    Signing Hall to $8,000,000 was a huge error.
    Skinner, Hall, Olofsson someone had to be the odd man out. Krueger picked Skinner.
    Eli, GMTD and Bostonbruins liked this.
    Mar. 4, 2021 at 10:33 a.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: gretzkyghosts
    No one commented on the trade with Buffalo.
    I would have expected either a Ranger or Sabre fan would say something.
    That trade would actually help Buffalo this year.
    Buchnevich, would be a great addition to the RW and PK
    Johnson, Dahlin is Buffalo's only LHD.
    2022 1st, always nice to have.
    If this was offered, and I was the Sabre GM, I would take it.
    Skinner Eichel Reinhart
    Olofsson Staal Cozens
    Mittelstadt Lazar Buchnevich
    Signing Hall to $8,000,000 was a huge error.
    Skinner, Hall, Olofsson someone had to be the odd man out. Krueger picked Skinner.

Thanks. Yeah, Johnson's too slow to do much at evens, but he can also help out on PK if you don't ask him to leave the zone. With McCabe out, I thought he might be a good temporary fix.
    gretzkyghosts and GMTD liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll