Forums/Armchair-GM

Logan Brown Plz

Created by: jnowariak
Team: 2020-21 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 2, 2021
Published: Mar. 3, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Something’s gotta give. OTT gets a player in Rask and MIN takes on Stepan’s salary and we get Brown for the trouble. Perhaps the master plan in OTT is 4D chess, but it sure looks like they are giving up on him.
Trades
OTT
  1. Rask, Victor
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (MIN)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$76,802,757$0$1,635,000$4,697,243
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$710,000$710K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,100,000$4,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 2
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 3
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, C
UFA - 1
C, RW
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1
LD/RD
UFA - 1
C
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 3, 2021 at 5:56 p.m.
the sens arent in any cap trouble and Stepan's contract ends after this season so I don't see why they do this
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 5:57 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
stepan's out for the season
MisstheWhalers and sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 5:57 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Even if Stepan was healthy this makes zero sense for Ottawa.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 5:58 p.m.
Bet On It
Ottawa easily declines. This is not even remotely close, come on. 20 games ago, Rask was considered an awful replacement level player and was being considered as a cap dump. Stepan is going to ride the IR until the season ends. He doesn't need to go anywhere.

Brown is an incredibly talented player that Ottawa has ridiculously mishandled. They say they have a plan for him though, and that doesn't include trading him away for a terrible package including a 3rd liner that's overpaid.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 5:58 p.m.
sensonfire
As Sens GM, I take that and run.

Stepan suffered a shoulder dislocation and needs surgery. His season is over.

Also, I see that we're not retaining on Stepan, which is an added bonus.

Furthermore, we get a 3rd round pick back for basically free after spending a 2nd on him.

Rask is playing well on the 2nd line for Minnesota while Logan Brown is on the taxi squad.

If we don't have a spot for Rask on the Sens, we can always buy him out.

This is a win for Ottawa IMO.
jnowariak liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:00 p.m.
Quoting: Claebom
Ottawa easily declines. This is not even remotely close, come on. 20 games ago, Rask was considered an awful replacement level player and was being considered as a cap dump. Stepan is going to ride the IR until the season ends. He doesn't need to go anywhere.

Brown is an incredibly talented player that Ottawa has ridiculously mishandled. They say they have a plan for him though, and that doesn't include trading him away for a terrible package including a 3rd liner that's overpaid.

So what does it take to get this ridiculously talented player that the team doesn’t want to play in the NHL? And I added Stepan to take real money away from OTT, I heard the owner is cheap.
sensonfire and OutCold13 liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:03 p.m.
Edited Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:43 p.m.
Your proposal is flawed, it assumes Rask is a player and not a pure cap dump
jnowariak, sensonfire, csick and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:04 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
As Sens GM, I take that and run.

Stepan suffered a shoulder dislocation and needs surgery. His season is over.

Also, I see that we're not retaining on Stepan, which is an added bonus.

Rask is playing well on the 2nd line while Logan Brown is on the taxi squad.

If we don't have a spot for Rask on the Sens, we can always buy him out.

This is a win for Ottawa IMO.

Stepan is from MIN and can get team care for his rehab while he stays with family and MIN eats the difference in his real salary which I have to feel is a win for Melnyk.

I’m in the boat that Brown needs the shot and MIN can give it to him. He’s played with Formenton/Batherson? In Bellevue so I think he could hang with KK and Zucc. Getting Rask’s contract off for an asset would also be a win and if Brown doesn’t pan out then we paid OTT a 3rd to eat that last year of Rask’s contract.
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:10 p.m.
It'd cost Minnesota more to get Brown. If Rask and Stepan had the sane term and Stepan wasn't out for the year, maybe, but that's the case so MN would have to find another way to get Brown
csick liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:14 p.m.
Quoting: C21
It'd cost Minnesota more to get Brown. If Rask and Stepan had the sane term and Stepan wasn't out for the year, maybe, but that's the case so MN would have to find another way to get Brown

So what would you value him at?
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:14 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: jnowariak
Stepan is from MIN and can get team care for his rehab while he stays with family and MIN eats the difference in his real salary which I have to feel is a win for Melnyk.

I’m in the bot the Brown needs the shot and MIN can give it to him. He’s played with Formenton/Batherson? In Bellevue so I think he could hang with KK and Zucc. Getting Rask’s contract off for an asset would also be a win and if Brown doesn’t pan out then we paid OTT a 3rd to eat that last year of Rask’s contract.

On the flip side, I feel this is a bit of a loss for Minnesota for a few reasons.

Stepan's season is over. If GM BG wants Stepan, he can sign him to a team-friendly deal in the off season.

You're spending a 3rd round pick on Stepan when nobody else would except for Ottawa.

Once Stepan dislocated his shoulder, all his trade value was lost.

Rask is playing well and contributing to Minnesota's success this year.

Logan Brown can never crack the Sens lineup and is either on the taxi squad or in the AHL.

If he can't play for Ottawa, what makes you think he can play for Minnesota?

If I'm Guerin, I'm not doing this deal.

Sorry.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:17 p.m.
Rask is atrocious, he is purely a cap dump. He's currently shooting 33.3% and has a 47% CF% with 66% ozone starts. He's sheltered and overperforming, and still not even doing that well. Stepan is also making half as much actual money this year, and probably some of it gets covered by insurance on LTIR, plus Rask has an additional year. If you took Brown out the Sens still don't touch this with a ten foot pole.
csick liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:21 p.m.
This is truly terrible. Ottawa doesn't need to move Stepan's deal. It's half paid already, and the rest will be largely paid through insurance due to him being on LTIR. Even for a cheapskate like Euge, the savings are minimal, and it's not even saving money when you factor in the fact that they're on the hook for another season of Victor Rask.

This deal does nothing to help the team financially, it gives them no value in return for Logan Brown, and it saddles them with a dead weight contract for next year.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
So what would you value him at?

My guess is that to make this trade work (if it even could) MN would have to upgrade the 3rd to a 2nd and retain 1M/25% on Rask.
sensonfire, jnowariak, csick and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:39 p.m.
On the flip side, I feel this is a bit of a loss for Minnesota for a few reasons.

Stepan's season is over. If GM BG wants Stepan, he can sign him to a team-friendly deal in the off season.

You're spending a 3rd round pick on Stepan when nobody else would except for Ottawa.

Once Stepan dislocated his shoulder, all his trade value was lost.

Rask is playing well and contributing to Minnesota's success this year.

Logan Brown can never crack the Sens lineup and is either on the taxi squad or in the AHL.

If he can't play for Ottawa, what makes you think he can play for Minnesota?

If I'm Guerin, I'm not doing this deal.

Sorry.

Just so I’m clear, you think would be a no brainer win for OTT?

I put Stepan in as a favor to everybody involved. Stepan gets team care while he gets to be with his family and OTT saves a bit of cash. Rask is not great and his contract isn’t good, I would replace with Johansson if they wanted a shorter contract.

And I’m thinking Brown is getting the shaft in OTT for whatever reason and he’s a pt per game player in the AHL and he’s played on the top line with guys like Batherson. I think there’s 2/3 C in him with PP upside. And he’s young and cost controlled, which are 2 things MIN needs. He’d be thrown in the top 9 immediately and MIN gets time to figure out if he’s for real. If he doesn’t work, then we’re down a 3rd which is not much.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:40 p.m.
sensonfire
I have a feeling that a lot of people on here are overvaluing Logan Brown.

If he can't succeed with the Sens, what makes you think he can succeed with Minnesota?

Victor Rask is on the 2nd line in Minnesota with Kaprizov and Zuccarello and has played well recently.

Rask is contributing to the success of the Wild whereas Logan Brown is contributing nothing for Ottawa.

If we're concerned about money, we can always buy Rask out.

We get a 3rd round pick after spending a 2nd on Stepan when no one else would.

The Stepan experiment was a disaster in Ottawa but we get a 3rd round pick out of it?

I'm in the minority but I like this deal for Ottawa and absolutely hate it for Minnesota.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:42 p.m.
sensonfire

I put Stepan in as a favor to everybody involved. Stepan gets team care while he gets to be with his family and OTT saves a bit of cash. Rask is not great and his contract isn’t good, I would replace with Johansson if they wanted a shorter contract.

And I’m thinking Brown is getting the shaft in OTT for whatever reason and he’s a pt per game player in the AHL and he’s played on the top line with guys like Batherson. I think there’s 2/3 C in him with PP upside. And he’s young and cost controlled, which are 2 things MIN needs. He’d be thrown in the top 9 immediately and MIN gets time to figure out if he’s for real. If he doesn’t work, then we’re down a 3rd which is not much.

Please see my response below yours smile
jnowariak liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:44 p.m.
Quoting: C21
My guess is that to make this trade work (if it even could) MN would have to upgrade the 3rd to a 2nd and retain 1M/25% on Rask.

I’d retain 1 mil on him no question. I’m not sure I’d give a 2nd because it is a high risk high reward thing. I am pretty adamant that he could succeed in MIN, I think he’s got the skill to help Fiala.
C21 and sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:49 p.m.

Ottawa is not saving any cash. Rask’s salary this year is 4mil, and 4mil next year. Stepan’s salary this year is 2mil, and now that he’s on LTIR it will be even less. I’m not sure why @sensonfire is so keen to give Brown away for literally negative value when he’s still a very good prospect, but the post by @Claesson4Norris summarizes the Sens standpoint on this very nicely. If anything their point is even further justified by the fact that Stepan’s salary is not 6.5mil, it’s only 2mil, so Ottawa is actually taking on an additional 6mil in hard cash in this deal, more when you account for insurance covering part of Stepan’s salary lol. Ottawa loses in terms of value, they lose financially this year, they lose financially next year, and are saddled with a bum for longer. This is just atrocious for Ottawa. If Logan Brown gets dealt it will be for another high end prospect in a similar situation or as part of a package for a young roster player who can complement our rebuild.
jnowariak liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:54 p.m.
Please see my response below yours smile

That’s a perspective on the deal I hadn’t thought of. You’re looking at it as a 3rd and a player for Stepan and I’m looking at it as a 3rd for Brown. I don’t value Rask, you think differently. I think Brown is better than you do. I do think he’s expendable in OTT with Norris and Pinto so I hope MIN is in on him. Pt per game in the AHL as a 21 year old is some thing g to smog at for me.
C21 and sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:57 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Alfie11
Ottawa is not saving any cash. Rask’s salary this year is 4mil, and 4mil next year. Stepan’s salary this year is 2mil, and now that he’s on LTIR it will be even less. I’m not sure why @sensonfire is so keen to give Brown away for literally negative value when he’s still a very good prospect, but the post by @Claesson4Norris summarizes the Sens standpoint on this very nicely. If anything their point is even further justified by the fact that Stepan’s salary is not 6.5mil, it’s only 2mil, so Ottawa is actually taking on an additional 6mil in hard cash in this deal, more when you account for insurance covering part of Stepan’s salary lol. Ottawa loses in terms of value, they lose financially this year, they lose financially next year, and are saddled with a bum for longer. This is just atrocious for Ottawa. If Logan Brown gets dealt it will be for another high end prospect in a similar situation or as part of a package for a young roster player who can complement our rebuild.

I'm not keen on just giving Logan Brown away.

At the same time, I'm not sure he's still a very good prospect.

If he was, don't you think he would be in the lineup instead of being sent to the AHL?

I also don't think Victor Rask is a bum when he's on the second line with Kaprizov and Zuccarello and contributing to Minnesota's success as of late.

If anything, Logan Brown is more of a bum than Rask is :/

If we're concerned about another year of Rask next year, we can always buy him out.

Just my two cents smile
Mar. 3, 2021 at 6:59 p.m.
sensonfire
That’s a perspective on the deal I hadn’t thought of. You’re looking at it as a 3rd and a player for Stepan and I’m looking at it as a 3rd for Brown. I don’t value Rask, you think differently. I think Brown is better than you do. I do think he’s expendable in OTT with Norris and Pinto so I hope MIN is in on him. Pt per game in the AHL as a 21 year old is some thing g to smog at for me.

I'm looking at it as Rask, a 3rd and the opportunity of getting rid of Stepan in exchange for Logan Brown.

Stepan is worthless, if not negative value at this point.
jnowariak liked this.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 7:01 p.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
Ottawa is not saving any cash. Rask’s salary this year is 4mil, and 4mil next year. Stepan’s salary this year is 2mil, and now that he’s on LTIR it will be even less. I’m not sure why sensonfire is so keen to give Brown away for literally negative value when he’s still a very good prospect, but the post by Claesson4Norris summarizes the Sens standpoint on this very nicely. If anything their point is even further justified by the fact that Stepan’s salary is not 6.5mil, it’s only 2mil, so Ottawa is actually taking on an additional 6mil in hard cash in this deal, more when you account for insurance covering part of Stepan’s salary lol. Ottawa loses in terms of value, they lose financially this year, they lose financially next year, and are saddled with a bum for longer. This is just atrocious for Ottawa. If Logan Brown gets dealt it will be for another high end prospect in a similar situation or as part of a package for a young roster player who can complement our rebuild.

I must have looked at the wrong year in his contract breakout. You’re right, it is 2 mil. And if you wanted Johansson as a player or no player I’d still do it.

Brown isn’t getting a top prospect back. Any team that picks him up is gonna have to expose him or protect him. The Sens have tanked his value pretty hard. If I had to guess, his little revenge tour they hope he has is trying to boost his value rather than get him ready to play in the bigs.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 7:03 p.m.
I'm looking at it as Rask, a 3rd and the opportunity to get something of value for Stepan in exchange for Logan Brown.

Stepan is worthless, if not negative value at this point.

He’s got no value but he lives in Minnesota within driving distance to the Wild facilities. Putting him here is doing him a favor.
Mar. 3, 2021 at 7:38 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
It's a interesting idea. I think I like the deal the way you have it. If Brown can't cut it with Sens then he may just be a bust. The one possible change I would consider is possibly retain a small portion of Rasks salary. Lots of people are saying Rask is a bust but he has played well as of late, and he scores at a higher percentage than most because the puck comes off his stick differently.
jnowariak liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll