Forums/Armchair-GM

Moves made before the TDL

Created by: MisstheWhalers
Team: 2020-21 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 6, 2021
Published: Mar. 8, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Brings the D up to respectability and provides some much needed depth for the playoffs.

Yes that's how I'd make the lines, three lines that could produce and gives Appleton a chance in the top 6.

Would be willing to add a bit to the Savard and Murray deals but I think they're close as is.

Let me have it in the comments section but let's keep them constructive, thanks!
Trades
CBJ
  1. Gawanke, Leon
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Gawanke is a RHD prospect in his second pro season in the AHL.
WPG
  1. Jankowski, Mark
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Lowry, Adam
  2. 2022 6th round pick (WPG)
NJD
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (WPG)
  2. 2023 5th round pick (WPG)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$77,782,024$0$0$3,717,976
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 8
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,062,500$1,062,500
RD
UFA - 1
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Taxi Squad
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000 ($175,000$175K$175,000$175K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 8, 2021 at 8:38 p.m.
I like the lines a lot, scheif is awful in the dot, might as well play the two stronger C’s in that position. It’s time to limit wheelers minutes, while also balancing 3 lines. I like Appleton in the top 6, guy was a stud in the AHL putting up points. Deserves a chance to do it at the NHL level.
MisstheWhalers and arafay liked this.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 8:38 p.m.
I know more than you
I don't think you understand how bad Jankowski is. Having said that, that's a steal and a half for the Pens
arafay liked this.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 8:39 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Mar. 8, 2021 at 8:41 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Mar. 8, 2021 at 8:42 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Mar. 8, 2021 at 8:44 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Dpellz90
I don't think you understand how bad Jankowski is. Having said that, that's a steal and a half for the Pens

Watching Lowry play hockey makes me want to jump off a bridge, if I could deal him for a 2nd I'd view that as a massive win.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 8:45 p.m.
I know more than you
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Watching Lowry play hockey makes me want to jump off a bridge, if I could deal him for a 2nd I'd view that as a massive win.

Jankowski isn't spectacular by the eye test, but his results will want to make you pull your eyes out
Mar. 8, 2021 at 8:47 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: tsyls
I like the lines a lot, scheif is awful in the dot, might as well play the two stronger C’s in that position. It’s time to limit wheelers minutes, while also balancing 3 lines. I like Appleton in the top 6, guy was a stud in the AHL putting up points. Deserves a chance to do it at the NHL level.

That was my thinking exactly and let's face it, Scheifele is a winger, he plays like a winger, sucks defensively and can't win a draw to save his life, he's a winger!.. Lol
tsyls liked this.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 8:52 p.m.
I like the Savard deal, I wouldn't touch the Pittsburgh deal (but I know you hate Lowry Winking with Tongue Out) and I'm not sure on Murray. Murray is a healthy scratch on Jersey, so he may be around the same level as Beaulieu now. But other than the Lowry deal, those are the types of pickups the Jets would likely make.
arafay and Wpgman liked this.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 9:11 p.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please

Before the Divisions were realigned I was thinking a Lowry trade could be done between the Leafs and Jets similar to what you proposed here. Lowry for Engvall. Jets save some money to be able to upgrade their defence.

Comparing the 2 players:
SIMILARITIES - they are both 6'5", both LH shots, both are typically below 50% at the faceoff dot.
DIFFERENCES - Lowry has snarl, if horrible offensively. Engvall is snake bit right now but has shown himself okay offensively at the NHL level, really good skater, plays the body a bit better now but has never been in an NHL fight.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 9:29 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Windjammer
I like the Savard deal, I wouldn't touch the Pittsburgh deal (but I know you hate Lowry Winking with Tongue Out) and I'm not sure on Murray. Murray is a healthy scratch on Jersey, so he may be around the same level as Beaulieu now. But other than the Lowry deal, those are the types of pickups the Jets would likely make.

Its not so much about my dislike of Lowry, it's about selling high on him and opening up cap space to improve the defense and I wouldn't be surprised if that Penguins 2nd is an early 2nd rounder.
It's far more important to improve the defense then keep around a 4th liner.

Well the Devils are scratching Murray but playing Subban meanwhile the Jets arent scratching Beaulieu, I'm not gonna judge Murray on the decisions of another dinosaur coach.

Pretty sure R.Murray and Savard were getting some tough assignments last season in Columbus, if Murray could be acquired for something like this I'd way rather make a deal like this for a couple picks then sell a bunch of better/more valuable pieces for Ekholm.

I think this is fair for Savard, he's having a rough season, wouldn't trade a 1st for him.
Windjammer liked this.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 9:36 p.m.
I like Lowry tbh, I always have (as a high end 4c who could play up in case of injury) so I won’t get into that.

As for the rest, I think it’s a little bit much for savard (though that’s cause I really like gawanke). Overall, good value on the trade for what the jets need. A small over pay though imo. Very small that I wouldn’t really care though.

As for Murray, I don’t like what he’s brought to jersey. The injuries have really taken a toll on him and he’s not confident, he’s slowing down in terms of foot speed, and he’s simply not physical. I don’t really want him here. I’d be looking at moving that first for ekholm instead. It’s not a very deep draft anyway so it’s ok imo.

Overall, I do think that we don’t need to make many rentals other than a partner for JoMo and possibly a guy like ekholm if we can win those sweepstakes. I honestly think heinola will be coming up for the playoffs and that Maurice probably wanted to play him but chevy said no cause of his elc slide (evident by his usage in his one game). Similar to Roslovic in 2018, he will be up for the playoffs imo.

As for appleton in the top 6? Yes please. At the expense of wheeler moving down just when he’s playing better, no thanks.

I’d do something like Connor-schiefele-ehlers
Bennet (what are you waiting for chevy)-dubios-wheeler
Copp-stastny-appleton
Perreault-Lowry-Lewis
I know it still doesn’t give appleton top 6 mins but it takes him away from the offensively challenged duo of copp and Lowry (which is weird how that’s only the case when they are together). Also, it gives him a line he can drive alone. I think that if the jets play Appleton’s development right, he could become a solid, play driving, 50-60 point winger.
tsyls liked this.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 9:51 p.m.
Wpgman
Lowry has the one dimension that only he has on the forward group- toughness so I wouldn't trade him especially if we are making a playoff run.

Savard would be a good addition. Not sure if he is 1st line but would improve the right side. I hope Chevy seriously is interested in Ekholm and he and Pionk would be a better 1st pair than Morrissey and Savard. If Savard is not traded for then a cheap option could be Hamonic. Forbort and Poolman on the 3rd pairing.

Murray just isn't on my radar.
WheEhlers and arafay liked this.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 9:53 p.m.
Lines are good. I like the idea of switching it up to this degree to see what could work.
Love the Savard deal. I think hes the best option for the Jets.
Don’t mind the Murray deal at all. Wouldn’t be surprised if the re-acquire Kulikov for the playoff run, even though I’d want to kill myself if they did.
I also know how much you hate Lowry, but there’s just no chance they trade him. And if they did, they’d re-sign him after this season. But I like the idea of keeping Lowry. I think the Jets could acquire a winger at the deadline (Pearson?Dzingel? someone from a Canadian team that’s out of it) and run the deepest 4 C’s in the league with capable wingers. Let’s say it’s Dzingel
9-55-26
81-13-27
RD-25-22
85-17-23
If you can shore up the D like you have with your trades and this F group, you’re in really good shape.
arafay liked this.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: arafay
I like Lowry tbh, I always have (as a high end 4c who could play up in case of injury) so I won’t get into that.

As for the rest, I think it’s a little bit much for savard (though that’s cause I really like gawanke). Overall, good value on the trade for what the jets need. A small over pay though imo. Very small that I wouldn’t really care though.

As for Murray, I don’t like what he’s brought to jersey. The injuries have really taken a toll on him and he’s not confident, he’s slowing down in terms of foot speed, and he’s simply not physical. I don’t really want him here. I’d be looking at moving that first for ekholm instead. It’s not a very deep draft anyway so it’s ok imo.

Overall, I do think that we don’t need to make many rentals other than a partner for JoMo and possibly a guy like ekholm if we can win those sweepstakes. I honestly think heinola will be coming up for the playoffs and that Maurice probably wanted to play him but chevy said no cause of his elc slide (evident by his usage in his one game). Similar to Roslovic in 2018, he will be up for the playoffs imo.

As for appleton in the top 6? Yes please. At the expense of wheeler moving down just when he’s playing better, no thanks.

I’d do something like Connor-schiefele-ehlers
Bennet (what are you waiting for chevy)-dubios-wheeler
Copp-stastny-appleton
Perreault-Lowry-Lewis
I know it still doesn’t give appleton top 6 mins but it takes him away from the offensively challenged duo of copp and Lowry (which is weird how that’s only the case when they are together). Also, it gives him a line he can drive alone. I think that if the jets play Appleton’s development right, he could become a solid, play driving, 50-60 point winger.

I just don’t think they'll ever give Gawanke much of a shot so cash him in rather then using more draft capital to get Savard is my thinking, also I loaded up the first three rounds of the 22 draft to restock the cupboards with.

Pretty sure an NJ fan on here said Murray was playing well, had one bad game then was scratched for 5 games and they lost all of them.. Lol

If this is all it took for Murray I'd do it, really don't care about giving a 1st for Ekholm, it's whatever else it might take that concerns me. (Vesa, Samberg, etc?)
arafay liked this.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 10:10 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Wpgman
Lowry has the one dimension that only he has on the forward group- toughness so I wouldn't trade him especially if we are making a playoff run.

Savard would be a good addition. Not sure if he is 1st line but would improve the right side. I hope Chevy seriously is interested in Ekholm and he and Pionk would be a better 1st pair than Morrissey and Savard. If Savard is not traded for then a cheap option could be Hamonic. Forbort and Poolman on the 3rd pairing.

Murray just isn't on my radar.

Lowry is just too hit or miss with his toughness, some games he's a physical beast and others he's invisible, also he and Copp have been terrible since reunited.

I'd rather see affordable but good D acquisitions then a selling the farm trade, how much more then a 1st is Ekholm going to cost?
Mar. 8, 2021 at 10:15 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: hwjw
Lines are good. I like the idea of switching it up to this degree to see what could work.
Love the Savard deal. I think hes the best option for the Jets.
Don’t mind the Murray deal at all. Wouldn’t be surprised if the re-acquire Kulikov for the playoff run, even though I’d want to kill myself if they did.
I also know how much you hate Lowry, but there’s just no chance they trade him. And if they did, they’d re-sign him after this season. But I like the idea of keeping Lowry. I think the Jets could acquire a winger at the deadline (Pearson?Dzingel? someone from a Canadian team that’s out of it) and run the deepest 4 C’s in the league with capable wingers. Let’s say it’s Dzingel
9-55-26
81-13-27
RD-25-22
85-17-23
If you can shore up the D like you have with your trades and this F group, you’re in really good shape.

Kulikov was the Jets best dman in the playin against Calgary and honestly he was pretty decent last season, would be hilarious if they traded for him.
The meltdown amongst the fanbase would be fun to observe.. 😂

I know they won't trade Lowry, there was no other way to create cap space though without paying extra for retention or paying someone to take Perreault, didn't want to do either.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 10:22 p.m.
Kulikov was the Jets best dman in the playin against Calgary and honestly he was pretty decent last season, would be hilarious if they traded for him.
The meltdown amongst the fanbase would be fun to observe.. 😂

I know they won't trade Lowry, there was no other way to create cap space though without paying extra for retention or paying someone to take Perreault, didn't want to do either.

That is the thing about Murray... he does not come cheap against the cap.
I think Chevy stands pat with the forward group though, will likely add someone on the backend. I think this week is huge to see how the Jets stack up against Toronto. If they can hang, you can bet Chevy is going to do all he can to give the boys a boost with an addition or two on the backend.
Wpgman and masterjuddi liked this.
Mar. 8, 2021 at 10:50 p.m.
Wpgman
Lowry is just too hit or miss with his toughness, some games he's a physical beast and others he's invisible, also he and Copp have been terrible since reunited.

I'd rather see affordable but good D acquisitions then a selling the farm trade, how much more then a 1st is Ekholm going to cost?

If we didn't have Lowry, who is the enforcer? As long as the forward group is healthy we are fine.

The defense is the weakness. Ekholm will still have a year left so he is not a rental. Willing to opened the wallet. Nashville would be looking for players they would not have to protect in expansion so a 1st and Vesalainen. If Hamonic is willing to come and play for the Jets then he should be cheap. Hamonic would give more toughness that the defense needs.
masterjuddi liked this.
Mar. 9, 2021 at 1:46 a.m.
I just don’t think they'll ever give Gawanke much of a shot so cash him in rather then using more draft capital to get Savard is my thinking, also I loaded up the first three rounds of the 22 draft to restock the cupboards with.

Pretty sure an NJ fan on here said Murray was playing well, had one bad game then was scratched for 5 games and they lost all of them.. Lol

If this is all it took for Murray I'd do it, really don't care about giving a 1st for Ekholm, it's whatever else it might take that concerns me. (Vesa, Samberg, etc?)

Fair enough on gawanke. He’s still a couple of years away from being nhl ready (at least the amount the jets want from going guys) anyway.

Yes I know which NJ fan you are talking about. I don’t disagree either, he has been good. But he hasn’t been playing at a top 4 level imo. As I said, heinola is likely coming up for playoffs anyway so I don’t think it’s necessary.

I feel like a lot of people are expecting a first and a couple of top prospects for ekholm and I simply don’t see that happening. I think a good comparable is the muzzin trade. Maybe go a bit higher than that but overall, that’s probably what we’re looking at. Based on that, I think a first and Stanley should put us near the top of the running. Now add a little piece to put it home. Anyway, unless it’s a gross overpay, i haven’t seen any ekholm trades with a better starting point than a 1st and a high end prospect like Stanley.

Man, isnt it wonderful that the jets drafting is really starting to pay off now. Like look at the depth EVERYWHERE!! Especially on d-prospects. Really wish we had more prospects on the wings though, but we have plenty of those in the nhl so it’s ok.
hwjw liked this.
Mar. 9, 2021 at 10:22 a.m.
I like the deals except for the Lowry one. He's been pretty good and I think his style of play fits the playoffs
I like adding Murray, but it might not cost that much. The guys been a healthy scratch recently. I think 5 straight games
Mar. 9, 2021 at 11:46 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
If we didn't have Lowry, who is the enforcer? As long as the forward group is healthy we are fine.

The defense is the weakness. Ekholm will still have a year left so he is not a rental. Willing to opened the wallet. Nashville would be looking for players they would not have to protect in expansion so a 1st and Vesalainen. If Hamonic is willing to come and play for the Jets then he should be cheap. Hamonic would give more toughness that the defense needs.

Who cares, Jankowski is the same size, good enough, Savard adds size to the lineup as well, just doesn't seem like Chevy has any interest in Hamonic.
Mar. 10, 2021 at 12:01 a.m.
MisstheWhalers

Who cares, Jankowski is the same size, good enough, Savard adds size to the lineup as well.
Fair enough on gawanke. He’s still a couple of years away from being nhl ready (at least the amount the jets want from going guys) anyway.

Yes I know which NJ fan you are talking about. I don’t disagree either, he has been good. But he hasn’t been playing at a top 4 level imo. As I said, heinola is likely coming up for playoffs anyway so I don’t think it’s necessary.

I feel like a lot of people are expecting a first and a couple of top prospects for ekholm and I simply don’t see that happening. I think a good comparable is the muzzin trade. Maybe go a bit higher than that but overall, that’s probably what we’re looking at. Based on that, I think a first and Stanley should put us near the top of the running. Now add a little piece to put it home. Anyway, unless it’s a gross overpay, i haven’t seen any ekholm trades with a better starting point than a 1st and a high end prospect like Stanley.

Man, isnt it wonderful that the jets drafting is really starting to pay off now. Like look at the depth EVERYWHERE!! Especially on d-prospects. Really wish we had more prospects on the wings though, but we have plenty of those in the nhl so it’s ok.

I like Gawanke too, just doubt they'll give him a legit chance to crack the lineup. I mean if they trade for Savard and don't send Gawanke for him and manage to sign Savard when does Gawanke ever make the team? If Sbisa didn't get claimed would Stanley have gotten in a game?

Playoff games count against an ELC so unless there's a major amount of injuries I doubt we see Heinola in a Jets jersey for the rest of the season.

Yeah I've been saying for awhile they have a lot of D prospects, it's center and now wing prospects where they're lacking, Chisholm has looked really good with the Moose btw.
arafay liked this.
Mar. 10, 2021 at 12:42 a.m.
Who cares, Jankowski is the same size, good enough, Savard adds size to the lineup as well.

I like Gawanke too, just doubt they'll give him a legit chance to crack the lineup. I mean if they trade for Savard and don't send Gawanke for him and manage to sign Savard when does Gawanke ever make the team? If Sbisa didn't get claimed would Stanley have gotten in a game?

Playoff games count against an ELC so unless there's a major amount of injuries I doubt we see Heinola in a Jets jersey for the rest of the season.

Yeah I've been saying for awhile they have a lot of D prospects, it's center and now wing prospects where they're lacking, Chisholm has looked really good with the Moose btw.

I don’t think playoff games count in the 10 games needed to burn a year off an elc. I’m going to check that though and get back to u.

Chisholm has looked excellent. I had heard he was a good skater but man, he’s incredible. Only guys I’m more excited for right now are heinola and perfetti.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Mar. 10, 2021 at 12:50 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
I don’t think playoff games count in the 10 games needed to burn a year off an elc. I’m going to check that though and get back to u.

Chisholm has looked excellent. I had heard he was a good skater but man, he’s incredible. Only guys I’m more excited for right now are heinola and perfetti.

Yeah Chisholm's an excellent skater, strong smooth stride and good with the puck.

So far in the games I've watched Samberg and Chisholm have been more impressive then Heinola and Perfetti with the Moose, barely notice Perfetti to be honest, Berdin has been solid as usual.
arafay liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll