Forums/Armchair-GM

Nylander

Created by: Mediumyeet
Team: 2021-22 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 11, 2021
Published: Mar. 11, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I wrote this as a reply in the comments but here is why I think the leafs would have interest in this trade.

Their offense is one of the best in the league with or without nylander. He is a bit of a perimeter player that isn’t strong defensively or along the wall but he makes up for a lot of that with offensive ability. But the leafs have some of the best forwards in the league so that offensive ability isn’t quite as important as it would be if they didn’t have Matthews Tavares and Marner. Schmidt is a mobile puck moving defenseman that can play match up minutes and is great in transition. That creates more team speed for Toronto and gives them arguably one of the best d cores in the league creating an extremely well balanced team.

Edit: they also add a goalie that has excelled at every level he’s played at. He is undersized but still a very strong goalie prospect that probably has a ceiling of a mid tier starter but could be a good backup or tandem goalie. And they get a draft pick out of it.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$8,000,000
3$7,000,000
5$5,250,000
2$1,050,000
2$1,000,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
1$3,000,000
1$900,000
4$3,000,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Dermott, Travis [RFA Rights]
TOR
    Tanner Pearson 50% retained at this years deadline
    VAN
      Seattle

Canucks don’t have anyone good exposed in expansion. Seattle likely won’t be up against the cap so they take beagle for one season as 4th line C that can win faceoffs, kill penalties, provide some leadership.

Other options are likely Holtby, Roussel, Lind, Macewan. If they take lind or macewan then the Canucks don’t sign Laughton.
      Buyouts
      Recapture Fees
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$81,500,000$78,213,025$648,780$1,050,000$3,286,975
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
      $925,000$925,000
      RW, LW
      RFA - 3
      $7,000,000$7,000,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 3
      $5,875,000$5,875,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      C, LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $6,962,366$6,962,366
      RW
      UFA - 3
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 5
      $4,125,000$4,125,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      $2,550,000$2,550,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,225,000$1,225,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $900,000$900,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,050,000$1,050,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $825,000$825,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $8,000,000$8,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 6
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      G
      UFA - 5
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      LD
      RFA - 1
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RD
      NTC
      UFA - 3
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 2
      $900,000$900,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      Taxi Squad
      $3,000,000$3,000,000 ($1,875,000$2M$1,875,000$2M)
      LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 1:49 a.m.
      Hockey247
      buddy you're trading for william nylander. this doesn't get you nylander. it may get you alex nylander, sure, but not william,
      Brian2016 liked this.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 1:52 a.m.
      Xx_Zegras46_xX
      Oh boy. Get ready
      Mediumyeet liked this.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 1:56 a.m.
      Quoting: Hockey247
      buddy you're trading for william nylander. this doesn't get you nylander. it may get you alex nylander, sure, but not william,

Depends whether you think Schmidt is a top 3dman or not. IMO he is. He’s been Canucks 2nd best dman and he was Vegas go to guy in his time there. He played 22-26mins a night last year in the playoffs for Vegas
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 2:04 a.m.
      Hockey247
      Quoting: Mediumyeet
      Depends whether you think Schmidt is a top 3dman or not. IMO he is. He’s been Canucks 2nd best dman and he was Vegas go to guy in his time there. He played 22-26mins a night last year in the playoffs for Vegas

give me a reason why leafs make thus trade?
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 2:12 a.m.
      Edited Mar. 11, 2021 at 2:24 a.m.

Their offense is one of the best in the league with or without nylander. He is a bit of a perimeter player that isn’t strong defensively or along the wall but he makes up for a lot of that with offensive ability. But the leafs have some of the best forwards in the league so that offensive ability isn’t quite as important as it would be if they didn’t have Matthews Tavares and Marner. Schmidt is a mobile puck moving defenseman that can play match up minutes and is great in transition. That creates more team speed for Toronto and gives them arguably one of the best d cores in the league creating an extremely well balanced team.

Edit: they also add a goalie that has excelled at every level he’s played at. He is undersized but still a very strong goalie prospect that probably has a ceiling of a mid tier starter but could be a good backup or tandem goalie. And they get a draft pick out of it
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 2:13 a.m.
      Hockey247

your reasoning is strong actually. now leafs fans will overblow their player, so they're going to crucify you. gl.
      Mediumyeet liked this.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 2:19 a.m.
      your reasoning is strong actually. now leafs fans will overblow their player, so they're going to crucify you. gl.

Lol thank you. This trade would become even more valuable if Seattle ends up taking Holl in expansion but predicting that is honestly a crapshoot right now. My reasoning is about making the leafs a stronger all around team though I do recognize that nylander is a highly talented player and would also benefit the Canucks who are desperate for more secondary scoring.
      Hockey247 liked this.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 2:26 a.m.

Because this is what most TML ACGMS look like only in reverse....
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 2:26 a.m.
      Hakuna Matata
      Don't really want schmidt the man has not looked good this season and has been a mess n his own zone. It's a good thing Dubas didn't go through with the vegas deal as Brodie has worked out much better
      Brian2016 and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 2:33 a.m.
      Edited Mar. 11, 2021 at 2:47 a.m.
      Quoting: aadoyle
      Don't really want schmidt the man has not looked good this season and has been a mess n his own zone. It's a good thing Dubas didn't go through with the vegas deal as Brodie has worked out much better

He’s actually having a pretty good season. The pairing of him and Edler are 10th in the league in expected goals against. And their expected goals for vs goals against per 60 minutes is +1.14 which is also very strong. Brodie has been very good in Toronto though I’m not disputing that at all.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 3:00 a.m.
      Quoting: Riley816
      Because this is what most TML ACGMS look like only in reverse....

I don’t think it’s that far fetched. I gave the guy my reasoning for the trade from a maple leafs perspective. Also put that same reply in the description now
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 3:14 a.m.

Edit: they also add a goalie that has excelled at every level he’s played at. He is undersized but still a very strong goalie prospect that probably has a ceiling of a mid tier starter but could be a good backup or tandem goalie. And they get a draft pick out of it

The perimeter player b.s. has found its way to other teams fans, too... Interesting. Let's get this out of the way, the guy had more goals then anyone from in close last season, which is where he's scoring his goals this season, too. A season where he's on-pace for a 30 goal campaign over 82 games. Some talking head (would it surprise anyone if it was Dave Poulin, the clown?) in the media said it last season, all of the stats (Nylander's shot charts and goal charts for example) proved it wrong, but it caught on because Toronto has fans who fall asleep watching the first period then latch onto every dumb thing that gets said on Overdrive or Leafs Lunch or whatever. He has some compete issues now and again, his defense is fine for a winger but could be better, overall he's a very good player who has more to give. So, let's just stop the perimeter player garbage and move on. He literally plays on the wing. The perimeter is where he's supposed to be most of the time.

Now, I like Schmidt. A lot. I wanted Toronto to try and grab him when he was in Washington and enjoyed watching him bloom into a stud on Vegas. He was like 25 at the time. He'll be 30 this off-season, coming off a not-so-great year in Vancouver (so far)-- and you can say he's been their 2nd best D, Vancouver isn't very good so that isn't really selling me. His offensive numbers are fine though I think slightly down, his possession numbers are down, and every game I've watched with him I've thought "what the hell happened to Nate Schmidt?". Now he's good in other stats analytics and he still has his moments, so I'm going to call it a mixed bag, he hasn't been a disaster at least, but he's making 6M for four more years. That's 30-34 year old seasons. I just don't think a prime-age scoring winger is proper value for an ageing defenseman who might be just a T-4 guy right now. Now, that might be why you added a 2nd and a prospect goalie so I guess it depends on how high you are on DePietro and I'm lukewarm.

If I knew Schmidt was going to get back his top level VGK form the next four seasons I could be convinced but I'm not there.
      Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 3:32 a.m.
      Edited Mar. 11, 2021 at 3:38 a.m.
      Quoting: FrustratedToronto
      The perimeter player b.s. has found its way to other teams fans, too... Interesting. Let's get this out of the way, the guy had more goals then anyone from in close last season, which is where he's scoring his goals this season, too. A season where he's on-pace for a 30 goal campaign over 82 games. Some talking head (would it surprise anyone if it was Dave Poulin, the clown?) in the media said it last season, all of the stats (Nylander's shot charts and goal charts for example) proved it wrong, but it caught on because Toronto has fans who fall asleep watching the first period then latch onto every dumb thing that gets said on Overdrive or Leafs Lunch or whatever. He has some compete issues now and again, his defense is fine for a winger but could be better, overall he's a very good player who has more to give. So, let's just stop the perimeter player garbage and move on. He literally plays on the wing. The perimeter is where he's supposed to be most of the time.

Now, I like Schmidt. A lot. I wanted Toronto to try and grab him when he was in Washington and enjoyed watching him bloom into a stud on Vegas. He was like 25 at the time. He'll be 30 this off-season, coming off a not-so-great year in Vancouver (so far)-- and you can say he's been their 2nd best D, Vancouver isn't very good so that isn't really selling me. His offensive numbers are fine though I think slightly down, his possession numbers are down, and every game I've watched with him I've thought "what the hell happened to Nate Schmidt?". Now he's good in other stats analytics and he still has his moments, so I'm going to call it a mixed bag, he hasn't been a disaster at least, but he's making 6M for four more years. That's 30-34 year old seasons. I just don't think a prime-age scoring winger is proper value for an ageing defenseman who might be just a T-4 guy right now. Now, that might be why you added a 2nd and a prospect goalie so I guess it depends on how high you are on DePietro and I'm lukewarm.

If I knew Schmidt was going to get back his top level VGK form the next four seasons I could be convinced but I'm not there.

Fair comment on the perimeter player stuff. Some issues with compete level at times is probably a much better way to put things so I definitely agree there.

Good analysis of Schmidt as well though I would argue that he has played much better the past 10 or so games. I think he struggled to adjust to the new system and teammates with no preseason and limited practice time for the first 20 games of the season. Not to mention the Canucks team defense as a whole is extremely sloppy. Schmidt’s skating ability hasn’t declined so that is a very good sign. Now I do get the concern over his age but I don’t think he will decline over the next 3 seasons, the 4th season I could see decline creeping in. If the leafs can replace nylanders 30 goals with a 20 goal scorer at half the price or with someone like Robertson then I don’t think their offense will suffer. A top 4 of Reilly Brodie, Muzzin Schmidt would make the leafs a very difficult team to beat in the playoffs for the next 3 seasons. Not to mention guys like sandin or liljegren stepping in with more ice time if one of those guys start to decline a bit.

I think dipietro has potential to be a mid-tier starter but more likely to be a solid backup or tandem. Always good to have a few promising goalie prospects in the system to increase the odds that one of them becomes legit (think cbj with korpisalo, Elvis, kivlikiens). And then you also get a 2nd round pick (maybe it should be for the 2022 draft) so the leafs have the option to use it to acquire someone at the deadline.
      LGuy54 and FrustratedToronto liked this.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 4:25 a.m.
      Quoting: aadoyle

Yeah it's amazing how much better a guy like Brodie can play when he's slotted properly and has realistic expectations. Brodie and Muzzin are both solid.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 4:37 a.m.
      J. Toller
      Due to Hughes' current situation as a defender, I can't see him taking more than 6.5 mill this offseason. Not my bias as a Makar fan, but should he find a defensive edge next year, he won't be worth it.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 4:37 a.m.
      Trading Nylander for Schmidt would be like trading Nylander for a 3rd round pick. Which would be ridiculous since Dubas could've done that back in October. That's what VAN paid for Schmidt. His cap hit will lock down Dubas' ability to re-tool his roster if things don't work out in the playoffs. That being said, I'm definitely not opposed to trading Nylander.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 6:18 a.m.
      The value isn’t too bad to be honest. I would probably ask for a protected 1st instead, but that’s it. The only issue I have from a Leafs standpoint is in making this trade, your basically either forcing one of Reilly, Muz, Holl or Brodie off the roster or blocking Sandin or Lilly from graduating. Which is why I don’t see Nylander being traded for a top 4 defenseman. Otherwise I do like the value.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 8:08 a.m.
      tyler19
      YOU THINK YOUR GETTING NYLANDER FOR THAT LMAOOOO
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 10:37 a.m.
      SPRINGER IS A JAY
      Leafs would say yes to the Dermott deal if, you add a d-man cuz, Sandin, Lehtonen & Liljegren may not be ready to play in the postseason
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 11:51 a.m.
      Quoting: JToller1
      Due to Hughes' current situation as a defender, I can't see him taking more than 6.5 mill this offseason. Not my bias as a Makar fan, but should he find a defensive edge next year, he won't be worth it.

I’d be all for that. The cheaper the better. I went with chabot as comparable contract.
      JToller1 liked this.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 5:48 p.m.
      VanFan
      Quoting: Brian2016
      Trading Nylander for Schmidt would be like trading Nylander for a 3rd round pick. Which would be ridiculous since Dubas could've done that back in October. That's what VAN paid for Schmidt. His cap hit will lock down Dubas' ability to re-tool his roster if things don't work out in the playoffs. That being said, I'm definitely not opposed to trading Nylander.

Well this isn't accurate.

Trading Nylander for Schmidt (and lets not forget about DiPietro who instantly becomes your top prospect) is not like trading Nylander for a 3rd.

A more accurate statement would be, Trading Nylander for Schimdt would be like trading Nylander for Schmidt, Simmons, and TJ Brodie.

That deal was a cap related deal. Vegas was saying "crap we need to get rid of salary to sign Pete and Van said we got room, we like the player but were only giving you a 3rd to take the salary" To judge Schmidt's value as a 3rd round pick is Ludacris.
      Mar. 11, 2021 at 11:13 p.m.
      Quoting: VanFan10
      Well this isn't accurate.

Trading Nylander for Schmidt (and lets not forget about DiPietro who instantly becomes your top prospect) is not like trading Nylander for a 3rd.

A more accurate statement would be, Trading Nylander for Schimdt would be like trading Nylander for Schmidt, Simmons, and TJ Brodie.

That deal was a cap related deal. Vegas was saying "crap we need to get rid of salary to sign Pete and Van said we got room, we like the player but were only giving you a 3rd to take the salary" To judge Schmidt's value as a 3rd round pick is Ludacris.

Then why didn't Vegas trade him to someone else for much, much more than a 3rd? Why trade within their own normal division?
      Mar. 12, 2021 at 9:55 a.m.
      J. Toller
      I’d be all for that. The cheaper the better. I went with chabot as comparable contract.

That's fair

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll