SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

St. Louis Blues signed Jordan Binnington (6 Years / $6,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 11, 2021 at 7:50 p.m.
sensonfire
Edited Mar. 11, 2021 at 7:58 p.m.
If a key player/goalie on your team played a big role in bringing home the Stanley Cup, you make sure he's taken care of before he threatens to walk out on you as a UFA.

There are some players/goalies that have made millions of dollars off of their teams and they won diddly squat.

Moral of the story.

I voted yes.

Like if you did too.
Catch and fucckadmins liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 7:51 p.m.
Quoting: BluesFan81
They weren't gonna get any better goaltender on the market for cheaper than this so it makes sense short term at least.

Mrazek would have been a better option at a cheaper rate. Even in the short term it doesn't make sense. Hofer and/or Ellis should be ready in a couple years.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 7:52 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I did watch all of the games (other than maybe one or two in the 2nd round), and he was good, but he wasn’t any better than any of the other 3 cup winning goaltenders I’ve watched for the entire playoffs (Murray x2, Holtby, & Vaseilesky).

He was lights out except for game 3 against Boston. If not for him, Blues would have lost.
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 7:55 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Canes are probably keeping the guy.

Hofer's interesting, but not yet NHL ready I reckon.

The goalie market next year is meh imo, which is why they probably just decided to ink Binnington long-term.

Not something I would've personally done though.

I understand wanting to secure a spot for a few years, but dang. Hofer has a few years and so does Ellis (both look very strong), but 6 years cuts into that.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 7:57 p.m.
Quoting: Chopper02
I understand wanting to secure a spot for a few years, but dang. Hofer has a few years and so does Ellis (both look very strong), but 6 years cuts into that.

I get what your'e saying but they're could be just as much risk with letting Binnginton walk and then you're stuck with a bunch of prospects who may not pan out. I know it's early but look at Husso so far.
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 8:14 p.m.
CbjSabresDucks
Quoting: TheNorthStar
Price is a bit steep, but it was only two years ago where he practically carried the Blues to the playoffs and Stanley Cup. I'd say he deserved the money after his really good first season.

the "he deserved his money after a good season multiple years ago" narrative in sports is so bad. i know some people deserve to be paid more than they have been but this is a buisness
Saskleaf and doogiski liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 8:14 p.m.
CbjSabresDucks
Quoting: sensonfire
If a key player/goalie on your team played a big role in bringing home the Stanley Cup, you make sure he's taken care of before he threatens to walk out on you as a UFA.

There are some players/goalies that have made millions of dollars off of their teams and they won diddly squat.

Moral of the story.

I voted yes.

Like if you did too.

lol because Seabrook turned out great
Kotkaniemi15 and doogiski liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 8:26 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Bdawwwgy1
lol because Seabrook turned out great

I bet those 3 Stanley Cup rings on his fingers are shining brighter than diamonds in the sky wink

The Stanley Cup and delivering profit to the shareholders should be the only two things that matter in NHL hockey.

Nothing else.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 8:36 p.m.
That’s the price to pay for a Cup. I voted no simply because he has struggled to prove he’s a good starter and when you currently have a 908% I wouldn’t give you a 6x6
sensonfire and doogiski liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 8:42 p.m.
Jinx god
This contract will age more poorly than Markstrom's.
capfriendlyaccount, Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 8:48 p.m.
CbjSabresDucks
I bet those 3 Stanley Cup rings on his fingers are shining brighter than diamonds in the sky wink

The Stanley Cup and delivering profit to the shareholders should be the only two things that matter in NHL hockey.

Nothing else.

right but when you sign a player based solely on his PAST cups.. bad idea
capfriendlyaccount, sensonfire, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: BluesFan81
I get what your'e saying but they're could be just as much risk with letting Binnginton walk and then you're stuck with a bunch of prospects who may not pan out. I know it's early but look at Husso so far.

Husso is an example of waiting too long on a prospect. He should have been brought in a couple of seasons ago. I'd even be okay with a 4 year term and working those other guys in. This contract has buyout written all over it.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 9:01 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Bdawwwgy1
right but when you sign a player based solely on his PAST cups.. bad idea

After the last Stanley cup win in 2015, Seabrook played ok for about 2 or 3 seasons and had a couple of playoff runs before the wheels fell off the bus.

What can you do? frown

Nobody can predict what happens in 5 years, certainly not Stan Bowman.

I can't even predict what I'll be having for breakfast tomorrow :/
Mar. 11, 2021 at 9:06 p.m.
This is a contract that will likely be regretted by next season, if not this one. This is just real bad.
Kotkaniemi15, A_Habs_fan, Jeuck75 and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 9:50 p.m.
If a key player/goalie on your team played a big role in bringing home the Stanley Cup, you make sure he's taken care of before he threatens to walk out on you as a UFA

So the Caps should have overpaid Holtby 5 months ago because he helped them win the Cup 3 years ago and has been an average G since?
doogiski liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 10:03 p.m.
sensonfire
Edited Mar. 11, 2021 at 10:09 p.m.
Quoting: bhavikp27
So the Caps should have overpaid Holtby 5 months ago because he helped them win the Cup 3 years ago and has been an average G since?

How much was Holtby asking from the Caps?

I will say this.

If a player who is a pending UFA gets greedy and demands a king's ransom as if he's the only reason for the Cup win when there are at least 20 other Cup champions in need of a hard-earned salary, "you take care of him" and put him out to pasture IMO.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 10:09 p.m.
GoJetsGo
This is a weird one. Goalies are really random, so it's really tough to predict exactly how this will age. He could bounce back next season and play fantastic, but the likelihood is that his numbers will average out over the contract to be a mid tier goaltender.

However, 6×6 is a lot for that, and when you throw in an NTC, this is definitely not a good contract. His current contract is probably around what he deserves. However, it might not be quite as bad as some people are saying.
sensonfire and TheNorthStar liked this.
Mar. 11, 2021 at 10:57 p.m.
Go leafs go
Some will probably come back here 3 years from now and roast me, but right now this is an overpay, and too much term. Bad contract, he's a good starter but not an elite goaltender.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 3:10 a.m.
NoCupsForCanada
This will be an interesting deal to watch age. The AAV seems about right. But the term is probably 1-2 years too long for my taste.

My wife is originally from STL so we watch a LOT of Blues hockey. Binner isn't exactly setting the world on fire right now, but Husso probably isn't NHL starter material, so what options did they really have?

I feel like this guy will always be judged against his rookie year. Which is reasonable, but he was always going to regress from that season. I really don't think anyone reasonably expected him to keep up that pace. People also seem to love to overlook the fact thst he backstopped this team to a ring. Last I checked, that's the entire point of this exercise.

Also let's not get revisionist about Jake Allen's time with STL. The guy was frustratingly inconsistent and lost the starter job largely because he seemed like a complete head case in net. I'm glad to see he's bounced back, but St Louis was always going to move on from him.

It's amazing to see what a difference a year makes too. Last year I thought the Faulk deal looked absolutely terrible. Now he looks like a centerpiece of that D core, even with that ridiculous mustache...
Mar. 12, 2021 at 3:42 a.m.
This contract is so bad that it makes the Matt Murray deal look good. Binnington is older than Murray and got an extra 2 years. Why? He's an average to slightly below average Goalie on a better than average defensive team.
A_Habs_fan and doogiski liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 3:56 a.m.
The main argument I'm seeing from Blues fans is that since JB won the Cup and was great in the process, he deserves this massive extension. Why, from an organizational standpoint, would you pay someone for past work when almost everyone agrees that Binnington's best days are behind him?
Mar. 12, 2021 at 9:10 a.m.
This might end up the way Martin Jones and his contract ended up - few great years and since he got new contract, it has been skyfall.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 9:40 a.m.
Canes fan
Binnington's a bust. This contract will haunt them for years.
Jeuck75 liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 10:07 a.m.
exo2769
This is a bad deal. Just look at the rookie stats for goalies this year. Kaapo Kahkonen, Vitek Vanecek, Kevin Lankinen, Igor Shesterkin, Alex Nedeljkovic, Ilya Sorokin, Jake Oettinger....That's SEVEN rookies playing as well or better than Binnington. It's not hard to find goalies in the NHL today.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/rookies.htm
Jeuck75 liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
Oley49
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I am laughing my head off now.

This guy’s temper has been a detriment to the team, and has regressed ever since winning a cup, now they’re giving him a long-term contract until he’s 34.

This is the same situation with Murray, except Binnington is older. (At least Ottawa gave Murray 2 fewer years though) Terrible signing by the Blues.

Keeping him in the net in the playoffs over Allen, then trading Allen for nearly nothing, and now he’s signed for over $3 million more per year than Allen on their extensions while Jake is playing better, is a series of bad decisions by the Blues.

Yeah Winning the Stanley Cup with Binnington was just Terrible. Allen played one good year with the Blues out of the past 4. They made the right move imo.
Id rather Binnington with this contract over Price at 10.5m lol
TheWolfe, sensonfire and Rom liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit