SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

St. Louis Blues signed Jordan Binnington (6 Years / $6,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 12, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
made sense as Markstroms contract should be the standard for goalie extensions in this flat cap era.

One does not simply, compare Markstrom to Binnington
Mar. 12, 2021 at 12:31 p.m.
While the statistics/ performance projections don't really justify the contract, I don't really mind it. This contract weights more about the money earned rather than future considerations relative to other contracts. Carrying a team to a Stanely Cup can justify a pretty big contract IMO.
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 1:01 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I am laughing my head off now.

This guy’s temper has been a detriment to the team, and has regressed ever since winning a cup, now they’re giving him a long-term contract until he’s 34.

This is the same situation with Murray, except Binnington is older. (At least Ottawa gave Murray 2 fewer years though) Terrible signing by the Blues.

Keeping him in the net in the playoffs over Allen, then trading Allen for nearly nothing, and now he’s signed for over $3 million more per year than Allen on their extensions while Jake is playing better, is a series of bad decisions by the Blues.

You are stuck with prices contract. I'd be hesitant to laugh at others goalie contract situation.

Price is a hall of famer but everyone ages and that contract may very well be the second worse goalie contract (Bob) within 1-2 years
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 1:02 p.m.
Dude has been a league average or just below league average goaltender for the last two years.

The NHL history is littered with guys who come in hot for half a season or so and don't turn into much. Seems an overpay....
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 1:16 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Edited Mar. 12, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: Oley49
Yeah Winning the Stanley Cup with Binnington was just Terrible. Allen played one good year with the Blues out of the past 4. They made the right move imo.
Id rather Binnington with this contract over Price at 10.5m lol

Montreal fans talking trash about terrible goalie contracts is the peak of irony
sensonfire and Oley49 liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 1:17 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
After the last Stanley cup win in 2015, Seabrook played ok for about 2 or 3 seasons and had a couple of playoff runs before the wheels fell off the bus.

What can you do? frown

Nobody can predict what happens in 5 years, certainly not Stan Bowman.

I can't even predict what I'll be having for breakfast tomorrow :/

But it was entirely predictable that the wheels would fall of the bus, just not when. The Seabrook contract helped guarantee there would not be a 4th ring.

If you want to build a longterm contender, you need to be, much as I dislike them, the Patriots. They sold high on key pieces to get the parts for the next championship, let stars walk. That is how you keep winning. Not by spending high percentages of your cap space on declining (or soon-to-be) stars.
SadSensFan14 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 1:39 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: LostFlow
But it was entirely predictable that the wheels would fall of the bus, just not when. The Seabrook contract helped guarantee there would not be a 4th ring.

If you want to build a longterm contender, you need to be, much as I dislike them, the Patriots. They sold high on key pieces to get the parts for the next championship, let stars walk. That is how you keep winning. Not by spending high percentages of your cap space on declining (or soon-to-be) stars.

I certainly agree that Brent Seabrook is not the only reason for 3 Stanley Cup championships coming to Chicago because there were 20 other players for each Cup win.

I also agree that Brent Seabrook is replaceable.

Where I disagree with probably most people that voted no on here is over whether Jordan Binnington is replaceable for St. Louis.

Let's say you refuse to give Binnington this extension, which everybody seems to hate on here.

Binnington then walks out on the Blues in the offseason as a UFA.

Who replaces Binnington as the starting goalie for the Blues next season?

Ville Husso?

Sometimes, you need to hand out a bad contract to keep a winning team together.

As you probably know from other bad signings from the past, it's part of the business.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 2:08 p.m.
torontos finest
I certainly agree that Brent Seabrook is not the only reason for 3 Stanley Cup championships coming to Chicago because there were 20 other players for each Cup win.

Where I disagree with probably most people that voted no on here is over whether Jordan Binnington is replaceable for St. Louis.

Let's say you refuse to give Binnington this extension, which everybody seems to hate on here.

Ville Husso?

As you probably know from other bad signings from the past, it's part of the business.

The problem isn't that the Blues re-signed Binnington. I think that was an inevitability. The problem is they gave him major money and long term when he's been trending downwards. Not catastrophically downwards, but enough to be concerned if the deal will be worth it.

I hope for the Blues sake that he stays as a 0.910 - 0.920 goaltender and doesn't do what Jones did and just forget how to play as soon as the deal kicks in. I think they could've gotten the price and term down on this one though.
sensonfire and Trickster liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 2:32 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
I think this contract will be pretty bad in these next few years.😬😬
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 2:35 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I am laughing my head off now.

This guy’s temper has been a detriment to the team, and has regressed ever since winning a cup, now they’re giving him a long-term contract until he’s 34.

This is the same situation with Murray, except Binnington is older. (At least Ottawa gave Murray 2 fewer years though) Terrible signing by the Blues.

Keeping him in the net in the playoffs over Allen, then trading Allen for nearly nothing, and now he’s signed for over $3 million more per year than Allen on their extensions while Jake is playing better, is a series of bad decisions by the Blues.

Totally agreed. This was very bad.
Kotkaniemi15 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 3:38 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Definitely bit too much and term and money.
Blues should have held strong and held out till he agreed to 4 year deal IMO.
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 6:02 p.m.

Ville Husso?

The same thing a bunch of teams will be considering this summer.

Look at binnington (now gone), Andersen, Raanta.

Perhaps trade for Kuemper. Perhaps Sorokin if Varlamov keeps a firm grip and he wants out.
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 5:53 a.m.
Robert Thomas Szn
Pain.
Jul. 6, 2021 at 10:22 p.m.
Bedard23
Giving 6 years to the next Johnathan Cheechoo…..
Feb. 21, 2023 at 3:25 p.m.
feelsbadman
this guy single handily ruined the 22-23 Blues XD

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit