Forums/NHL Trades

(TOR/CBJ) - Lehtonen for Vehvilainen

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 12, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Saskleaf
Tell that to @Miles_Togo . He's convinced they suck at developing prospects.

maybe don't tag the insane people
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: mondo
maybe don't tag the insane people

I was just arguing with him in another thread and thought he would benefit from someone else's opinion with more hockey knowledge than me.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
Josh
Fair trade in my books, seems like a risk for Jackets though cause it’s not looking like Mikko will break out in the NHL. But you never know this could bite the Leafs in the a**
Mar. 12, 2021 at 5:07 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: RKLW
Fair trade in my books, seems like a risk for Jackets though cause it’s not looking like Mikko will break out in the NHL. But you never know this could bite the Leafs in the a**

He was good in the games he played - he just wasn't good enough to solidify a position over Dermott. I can see him overtaking Del Zotto on Columbus.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 5:14 p.m.
Canes fan
Vehvilainen just can't seem to get it to work out. Lehtonen actual has some solid potential to play a bottom 4 D role.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 5:15 p.m.
Canes fan
Jarmo can't stay away from finns.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 5:18 p.m.
Josh
He was good in the games he played - he just wasn't good enough to solidify a position over Dermott. I can see him overtaking Del Zotto on Columbus.

Yeah I see what you mean, I’m looking forward to see what h does for the Jackets, I wanted him to succeed in TOR but we didn’t need him.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 5:36 p.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
Farewell Finnish Bobby Orr
Mar. 12, 2021 at 5:50 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
The way I'm rationalizing this trade is that Lehtonen wasn't going to break into the team long term and Dubas wants to keep his agent happy by selling him to a team who will play him. I think he's a lot better than a below 0.900 AHL goalie but a 27 year old defenseman with no prior NHL experience isn't a high sell and you take what you get. Marlies also need a goaltender since the Leafs ones keep falling apart.

Toronto still has Sandin and Marincin for the depth options.

Would you have preferred Kivlenieks??
Mar. 12, 2021 at 6:02 p.m.
Meh
Tell that to @Miles_Togo . He's convinced they suck at developing prospects.

Hey remember when I said that this pure idiotic fantasy that every single other Leafs fan on here had that a bunch of NHL ready D would be super happy to not play would
in reality cause problems and that at least one D would be demanding a trade before the trade deadline?

As always I was completely right and as always the people who spend all of their time in a fantasy land (like you) were completely wrong.

This was a stupid signing, by an organization that fails to use the most basic common sense, fails to properly evaluate where players fit together, and promises players roster spots when they shouldn't.

And what did they get for this dumb signing?

A player who demanded out after 9 games and after having been promised a spot which the team failed to come through on and it will have damaged their Euro free agent pipeline going forward (which might actually save this management team from itself).

A player who did not deserve to be on the roster blocked Sandin and Liljegren from being able to compete for the #7 spot or from getting into games despite both of them having essentially maxed out their development in the AHL. Definitely damaging the relationship Sandin and possibly damaging the relationship with Liljegren too.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 6:33 p.m.
On value I think the leafs lose, because I think he has value as depth in place of injuries.

That being said I presume this deal was done as he wasn't getting much playing time and the leafs want to keep being attractive to future European free agents and they can say: look we couldn't get a guy playing time so we accommodated him and traded him where he could.

Given the leafs cap woes in the near future keeping that well open is key
Mar. 12, 2021 at 6:45 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Miles_Togo
Hey remember when I said that this pure idiotic fantasy that every single other Leafs fan on here had that a bunch of NHL ready D would be super happy to not play would
in reality cause problems and that at least one D would be demanding a trade before the trade deadline?

As always I was completely right and as always the people who spend all of their time in a fantasy land (like you) were completely wrong.

This was a stupid signing, by an organization that fails to use the most basic common sense, fails to properly evaluate where players fit together, and promises players roster spots when they shouldn't.

A player who demanded out after 9 games and after having been promised a spot which the team failed to come through on and it will have damaged their Euro free agent pipeline going forward (which might actually save this management team from itself).

A player who did not deserve to be on the roster blocked Sandin and Liljegren from being able to compete for the #7 spot or from getting into games despite both of them having essentially maxed out their development in the AHL. Definitely damaging the relationship Sandin and possibly damaging the relationship with Liljegren too.

he couldn't win a spot over dermott. maybe take up fiction writing if you're going to be so unbearably dramatic.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 6:45 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
plus future starter potentially in the works

Dubas now has 4 potential starters in the system

Will probs take over as the marlies starter. Will be watching him very closely

Saying they have 4 potential starters in the system is a stretch even if you include Andersen and Campbell.
Alfie11, Saskleaf and BCAPP liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 7:44 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Remember when Leaf fans were saying Lehtonen was a future top pairing defender?

I know I was so wrong about him. I didn't think he was a top pairing though...
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 7:57 p.m.
Imagine being a prospect for a low market NHL team behind a solid NHL duo in Korpi and Elvis then being told you are now the goaltending messiah that will lead The Toronto Maple Leafs to the promised land :-D
Mar. 12, 2021 at 8:04 p.m.
Go leafs go

I don't disagree it was a weird signing. It was a no risk move to add depth but it wasn't a need.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 10:10 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk
andersen definitely walks

After putting stellar numbers for a team with a third of a respectable Dcore for years, while beeing bashed on constantly? I'm shocked.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 10:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

yes but than Covid happened and we never got a proper training camp nor preseason. He never got an opportunity to prove he could be an NHL dman. If he came next season after Seattle for sure he would have made the team and been in our top 6 but Covid ruined that.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 10:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Rangsey
Imagine being a prospect for a low market NHL team behind a solid NHL duo in Korpi and Elvis then being told you are now the goaltending messiah that will lead The Toronto Maple Leafs to the promised land :-D

Who knows maybe he will help us shutout Edmonton again next time we meet
Mar. 12, 2021 at 10:30 p.m.

For arguments sake he still could become a top pair Dman. Not likely but not impossible.
Mar. 12, 2021 at 11:51 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
Fair Deal, but not the best look for TOR. Lehtonen could have signed anywhere. The fact that things didn't work out isn't 100% on TOR. It's not 100% on Lehtonen either. It's a mixture, but for any Euro signing...it will be at least a factor to consider. Why not join a different organization with a proven track record or turning Euro's into proven NHLers.

It's actually a good look for Toronto, and part of the reason European free agents keep signing with us.

They all get a fair shot at making the roster when they come over.
If they can't make the regular roster, a trade gives them a second chance.
Lehtonen is a UFA next year, he needs earn a contract, not sit it the press box.
A lot of GM's would just stash him in the minors / taxi-squad for playoff depth.

That would be a bad look for Toronto though.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 13, 2021 at 12:03 a.m.

he couldn't win a spot over dermott. maybe take up fiction writing if you're going to be so unbearably dramatic.

I don't disagree it was a weird signing. It was a no risk move to add depth but it wasn't a need.

Miles Togo ... LMAO ... they turned a free defensemen into a free goalie prospect.

THE HOROR!

And they didn't damage any piplelines lol.

Euros are all promised a chance to make the roster, and then a trade if they don't make it (ie - a second chance somewhere else).

That's why they all want to sign here.
Saskleaf and oneX liked this.
Mar. 13, 2021 at 2:04 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: drewjenkins
Miles Togo ... LMAO ... they turned a free defensemen into a free goalie prospect.

THE HOROR!

And they didn't damage any piplelines lol.

Euros are all promised a chance to make the roster, and then a trade if they don't make it (ie - a second chance somewhere else).

That's why they all want to sign here.

I agree.
Mar. 13, 2021 at 6:53 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: drewjenkins
It's actually a good look for Toronto, and part of the reason European free agents keep signing with us.

They all get a fair shot at making the roster when they come over.
If they can't make the regular roster, a trade gives them a second chance.
Lehtonen is a UFA next year, he needs earn a contract, not sit it the press box.
A lot of GM's would just stash him in the minors / taxi-squad for playoff depth.

That would be a bad look for Toronto though.

I actually agree that it could be worse. It can always be worse.

I imagine a pretty standard conversation occurred. Player- I just want a fair shot and an opportunity to prove myself.
GM- the best players play. Everyone gets a fair shot.

Then plays 9 games out of 28 and thinks to himself...ive been in less than a third of the games...why did I ever come here? Its a very real thought and neither side is 100% wrong.

Yes hes a pending UFA. Guess what, he was last year too. Thats my point. Look at the Hawks. 7 or 8 Euros getting multi million dollar contracts the last few years. That's an example Euro's can look to and see a track record of something working out. Not sorry you didn't even get to play in 1/3 of our games.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 13, 2021 at 7:05 a.m.
Buljujarvi
Quoting: jpsnow13
After putting stellar numbers for a team with a third of a respectable Dcore for years, while beeing bashed on constantly? I'm shocked.

im not bashing him in the least. this move makes me think Andersen wants out as opposed to the team wanting Andersen to leave. why would they aquire yet another goalie? it makes no sense. this summer they signed Dell even though they have a capable backup... it might not mean anything but thats my hypothesis.
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit