East Division Mid Season Update and Predictions

Created by: TheFlamingC
Team: 2020-21 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 13, 2021
Published: Mar. 13, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2132450 - Pre Season Edition
Boston Bruins - 14-6-4 with 32 points in 24 games, 4th in the division. I predicted 2nd with a first round exit. Still a possible outcome. Brad Marchand is having a great season with 31 points and everything else he brings to the table. The Perfection Line has been elite again and it has that name for a reason. Great two way play and utter dominance whenever on the ice. Bergeron has 24 in 24 and at 35, looks to remain a Selke contender, if not the Selke favourite. No signs of regression. David Pastrnak has taken a step forward this season IMO. 22 in 17 and is dominant whenever on the ice. Absolute freak of nature. I think David Krejci is having a good season as well. He is a good 2C on this team, but lets be honest, Boston's 2nd line is a little bit underwhelming. Not as much as its made out to be, but not Winnipeg level. Nick Ritchie is having a great season which is really helping this team out, especially with the lack of production from guys like Charlie Coyle and Jake Debrusk. Craig Smith has been effective but is a depth guy. DeBrusk and Coyle need to be more productive for this team long term. This team has great high end guys, some good supporting options and some good depth options, but I think they need to add another supporting piece and get more from DeBrusk and Coyle as mentioned. On D, Charlie McAvoy has been great this year and could potentially get Norris consideration. I've also been impressed by Zboril, Grezlcyk and Clifton this year. They have stepped up after the loss of Krug, I really like Clifton in particular. But in all honesty, as much as a pleasant surprise as they've been, they are nothing more than #4s. The D-core has one great d-men and a bunch of good d-men. Like the forwards, one more piece is necessary. In net, Rask and Halak is one of the best, if not the best tandem in the NHL. Both are more than capable NHL goalies and Tuukka is a guy that you can win a Cup with. No problems in net. Overall some great high end guys, they lack some supporting pieces however that would push this team over the top.
Buffalo Sabres - 6-15-4 with 16 points in 25 games. Dead last. I predicted 6th. Bit high but not an awful prediction. This team is a disaster though. Jack Eichel is out day-to-day and I see a trade this offseason. Hall will be traded at the deadline, Skinner is being scratched and there is really no reason for optimism with this team. I think the downward spiral will just get worse. Reinhart and Olofsson have been good, I guess. Thats a bright spot. And Dylan Cozens. Ive only watched him in 2.5 games, but have been super impressed with him. Star in the making and future face of this franchise once Eichel is gone. The forward group has talent but there are some deep underlying problems in the Sabres culture, that I think will prevent them from ever succeeding in a meaningful way, at least until they sort it out. On D, Dahlin is having a rough year from what I've seen. Risto has been good on the other hand. Hutton has been awful whereas Ullmark has been good. This team is just disastrous. It's a culture problem with Buffalo and I think they are headed for a rebuild within a rebuild. No success in sight. Moving on...
New Jersey Devils - 8-12-3 with 19 points in 23 games. 7th in the division. I predicted dead last. Not out of the realm of possibility but I think the Sabres got the Shane Wright and Connor Bedard drafts confused and having taken a stronghold of that spot. Hischier has been out most of the season, But Hughes has stepped up in his absence. Super impressed with his play whenever I watch him. Zacha has also emerged 6 years after the draft. He looks to be a good secondary option in the future. Sharangovioch had an impressive start but has teetered off as of late. Palmieri's play is really tanking his trade value as well. Not sure he'll land a 1st. Ty Smith has had an exciting start to his career and Damon Seversen is always a good option on D. The D core is decent overall. In net I like the Wood duo. Both are good goalies and I think Blackwood is a future top 10 goalie. Not amazing this year but I love his game. Overall, it's a bad team that has some exciting pieces between Hughes, Smith, Blackwood, etc.
New York Islanders - 17-6-4 with 38 points in 27 games. 1st place. I predicted 7th. Worst prediction this year, even worse than my Winnipeg prediction. They just find a way to win. Mathew Barzal is a bonafide star but past that, nobody else is a true superstar. I love Barzal's game personally. Eberle is a good player having a good year. Another guy who I like. Beauvillier has been underwhelming and I think he needs to step it up. Brock Nelson and Josh Bailey are both very good support players who I like. However Michael Dal Colle is horrific. Biggest bust of a draft that had Virtanen and Sam Bennett. And according to daily face-off, he's on the 2nd line? Yikes. JG Pageau is one of the best 3Cs in the NHL. On his wing Walhstrom has been good, but I think even he has more to give this year. This team has great forward depth and supporting players and one superstar. It's a good forward group but I don't see them winning a championship, especially with an indefinitely injured Anders Lee who is having a good year. They always prove me wrong though... On defence, Pulock is a top pair guy and Dobson is well on his way in the midst of a great season. Leddy is a 2-3 and having a terrific year and Pelech is a very good top 4. No problems on D and one of the most complete in the NHL. In net, Varlamov and Sorokin are a great tandem, with Varlamov being in the middle of a tremendous campaign. Sorokin is a backup though, not a long term solution. This team is very complete, but I think lacks one more superstar forward, maybe two.
New York Rangers - 11-12-3 with 25 points in 26 games. 6th place. I predicted 4th with a first round exit. Not going to happen this year. Kreider is having a good year. 19 points in 26 games. He's just being his usual self as expected. In the centre Mika Zibanejad is having an awful year. Supposedly a top 15C in the NHL and he has 11 points this year. Yikes. Huge reason the Rangers haven't lived up to potential. He needs to be better but he won't be this year. Buch on the RW has taken a huge step forward with 22 points this year. Realistically that just boosts his trade value at the TDL though. Artemi Panarin is having another great season, that was interrupted by a.... situation. He's the only true superstar forward on this team right now. Ryan Strome is having a great season, exceeding expectations with 19 points. ZHe does play with Panarin though but he's been a pleasant surprise for the Rangers. Colin Blackwell has been a terrific find for this team. Very good supporting player. I like the play from Chytil this season. He's been a good depth guy. Laffy has been disappointing to say the least. Looking like a depth player when everybody expected a superstar right away. It'll happen one day. I think Kakko has taken a step forward but another disappointing season thus far. Hope he can turn it around eventually. Not going to happen this year. The forward group has one star player and a bunch of over performing support players, a few support guys playing like their usual selves and some very disappointing future stars, or in Zibs case, one season wonders. It'll be great in a few years but we aren't there yet. Adam Fox is a terrific #1. Future Norris contender for sure. On his side, Lindgren is having a good year as well. Dependable top 4 guy. K'Andre Miller is having a successful rookie year. I predict he'll be a #1 someday. Trouba is a disappointment. Another awful year so far IMO. The Rangers really traded an entire top pairing for him. Imagine Miller-Fox, Heinola-Pionk. Thats 4 #1s on one team. Not meant to be. The d-core is solid but Trouba needs to be better. Shesterkin is having a great rookie season. As expected. Georgiev has been underwhelming however. They need him to step up but Shesty has been a dependable #1. Overall they need their young stars to progress and that's it. Just trust the process now. Not gonna work out this year but I see a powerhouse in 2 years.
Philadelphia Flyers - 13-8-3 with 29 points in 24 games. 5th place. I predicted 1st with a final 4 appearance. Still possible but I doubt they finish 1st. 1C Couturier is having a great year now that he's returned from his injury. Over a ppg and brings Selke defense. JVR is having one of if not his best years ever on the LW. 27 points in 24 games. If he can keep this up look out. Playing like a superstar right now. Farabee on the right side is having a tremendous season 22 points and is a borderline star. If not there already he will be one day. Scott Laughton is having a great year and is a tremendous support player. 15 in 21 and hard to play against. Kevin Hayes is a very good secondary player who gets over hated for his horrendous contract but he is playing like he's worth it. I love his game. Konecny is having a rough year. I think he'll rebound by playoffs though. He's a guy who will come alive come playoffs. Just his style of play. Future star, if not already a star. Then Voracek-Giroux 3rd line. Thats crazy depth. Both of them are former superstars and Giroux might still be there. Both are in the middle of strong campaigns. Then the Masterton duo Lindblom-Patrick on the 4th line. Crazy good 4th line. Those guys are middle six all day long. Patrick will never be worth his draft pick but he'll always be an impact NHLer. Both are very strong players and I like Lindblom's game in particular. Rock solid forward core filled top to bottom with star players, future stars and great support guys. I see no flaws with this forward group. On D, Provorov is a slightly overrated #1. I like his game but I don't see him as a Norris guy like others do. Past him, Sanheim is a good #3 and Phil Myers is impressive. Potential 2-3 guy right there. I love his game. Ghost is having a better year in my eyes and Gustaffson has been good. Like both of their offensive instincts. I see no flaws in this d-core either. Rock solid. In net, Carter Hart is having a horrible year. Elliott has been a capable backup on the other hand. I'm not worried about Hart though, he'll find his game. He's too good not to. In conclusion, this is a near perfect team IMO. I'd like more from Provorov and Hart MUST find his game for this team to succeed but past that, I see no flaws.
Pittsburgh Penguins - 16-9-1 with 33 points in 26 games. 3rd place. I predicted 5th place. Still quite possible. Crosby is having a good year, and is still a superstar but this year isn't up to his regular Crosby standards, lets be honest. Guentzel one his wing is a star with some great goal scoring touch. 23 points so far this year and I think you can say he's having a great season. Rust is having another good season with 19 points thus far. He's a great supporting player. Malkin had a rough start but has found his stride as of late. They need him to succeed this year. Kapanen has been a great addition to this squad. 18 points in 23 games and is a pleasant surprise for Pens fans. Their collection of depth players/support players being Teddy Blueger, Jared McCann, Brandon Tanev, Jason Zucker and ZAR have been effective this year, able to be put anywhere in the lineup and do well. Overall, I like this forward group. Has great star players with a great supporting cast. On D, Letang is having a great year and is still a bonafide superstar defence man. Marino is DTD right now but he's a great #2, I think well on his way to being a #1. Dumoulin and Pettersen do a good job of filling out the top 4 with both guys being effective #4 guys. Then the 3rd pair of Matheson-Ceci. The hired spies sent to score on the Penguins at all costs while still tricking the coach to keep them in the lineup. What an absolute disgraceful excuse of a defensive pair. I can't see how any team consistently dressing those two can succeed. In net, Jarry and DeSmith must be better. Very underwhelming. To be honest, I don't think either will ever be starters that you can win with. Overall this team has a very complete forward group, very complete top 4 and then a disastrous 3rd pair and a tandem that needs work this offseason.
Washington Capitals - 16-6-4 with 36 points in 26 games. 2nd place. I predicted 3rd with a second round exit. Still very possible. Ovi is still a superstar at 35. He hasn't had the point production but he is still an absolute force on the ice. Backstrom has revitalized himself this year with 29 points and looks like his old 1C, prime Backstrom self. On that wing, Tom Wilson was having a great season with 17 in 21 and is the best tough guy in the NHL. What any team would give to have Tom Wilson play for them. Jake Vrana is having another solid campaign on the 2nd line with 19 in 25. Great support player. TJ Oshie is having a phenomenal season with 18 in 25, plus his usual TJ Oshie antics. I love the way Oshie plays. He's a great player and a borderline star. Eller is having a good season and the rest of the bottom six is being effective, doing their job and allowing the team to win games. I really like this forward group. Lethal top 6 littered with stars, great supporting players and a bottom 6 that goes the job done. On D, John Carlson is still an elite offensive defensemen, and a bit of a defensive liability but he balances it with his point production. Justin Schultz is a good 2nd option who is more of a #3 than a #2 but it works. Past that, the d-core needs a lot of work. Since the beginning of this year I've said Dillon and Orlov can't be your #3 and #4. Same problem today. In the net, Samsonov-Vanecek has been a pleasantly surprising good duo. Vanecek has stolen the starters role and I'd like to see more from Samsonov but with Vanecek's play, does it matter? Samsonov is the long term guy but he'll be better and progress next year. For now, Vanecek can do the job. Overall they have a near flawless forward group but need Kuzy, defensive group that needs a #2 and a #4 and a solid tandem in net.

Updated standings predictions below

Such a toss up in the top 5, anything can happen. I just balanced who I think the best teams are, current head starts and easiest remains schedules
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
11$1$61,319,652$0$2,850,000-$61,319,651
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,333,333$4,333,333
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Islanders
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 13, 2021 at 9:38 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Nice job on this. Devils had a great start to the year but Covid killed their momentum and a lot of players started to play worse (Smith, Blackwood, Johnsson, etc).
TheFlamingC liked this.
Mar. 13, 2021 at 9:44 p.m.
Quoting: Devil1122
Nice job on this. Devils had a great start to the year but Covid killed their momentum and a lot of players started to play worse (Smith, Blackwood, Johnsson, etc).

Yeah I agree. Was super surprised to see how well they did to start the year.
Devil liked this.
Mar. 13, 2021 at 9:50 p.m.
Isles7
Did you really just say sorokin is a backup, not a long term solution lol
Mar. 13, 2021 at 9:51 p.m.
Quoting: Isles777
Did you really just say sorokin is a backup, not a long term solution lol

Yes, I think Sorokin is a product of his KHL team, rather than earning his hype
Mar. 13, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: TheFlamingC
Yes, I think Sorokin is a product of his KHL team, rather than earning his hype

I mean that’s your opinion, but he’ll be the isles #1 sooner than later. His anticipatory instincts are elite and is very technically sound. He’s been great so far.
Mar. 13, 2021 at 10:07 p.m.
Quoting: Isles777
I mean that’s your opinion, but he’ll be the isles #1 sooner than later. His anticipatory instincts are elite and is very technically sound. He’s been great so far.

Fair, it is my opinion. We’ll find out soon enough

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll