SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

BOLD BLOCKBUSTER - BUT GOOD FOR BOTH

Created by: Stuartcatso1
Published: Mar. 15, 2021 at 4:34 p.m.
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Season Days: 54/116 (47%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the Nashville PredatorsNashville Predators

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Ekholm, MattiasNashville PredatorsNHL-$1,745,689111---0000--
Forsberg, FilipNashville PredatorsNHL50%$1,396,552111---0000--
Granlund, MikaelNashville PredatorsNHL50%$872,845111---0000--
Saros, JuuseNashville PredatorsIR-$698,275011-------00
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Andersen, FrederikToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$2,327,586111-------00
Vesey, JimmyToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$418,965111---0000--
Engvall, PierreToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$581,896111---0000--
Kerfoot, AlexanderToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$1,629,310111---0000--
Robertson, NicholasWaivers ExemptToronto Maple LeafsTaxi Squad-$382,500011---0000--
Amirov, RodionWaivers ExemptToronto Maple LeafsMinor-$0011---0000--
2021 1st round pick (Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR)---100------
2022 1st round pick (Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$2,092,5732045663611
Change-$626,896122200
Final$1,465,677 (↓)21 (↑)47 (↑)68 (↑)5 (↑)611000

Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsToronto Maple Leafs

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Andersen, FrederikToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$2,327,586111-------00
Vesey, JimmyToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$418,965111---0000--
Engvall, PierreToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$581,896111---0000--
Kerfoot, AlexanderToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$1,629,310111---0000--
Robertson, NicholasWaivers ExemptToronto Maple LeafsTaxi Squad-$382,500011---0000--
Amirov, RodionWaivers ExemptToronto Maple LeafsMinor-$0011---0000--
2021 1st round pick (Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR)---100------
2022 1st round pick (Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Ekholm, MattiasNashville PredatorsNHL-$1,745,689111---0000--
Forsberg, FilipNashville PredatorsNHL50%$1,396,552111---0000--
Granlund, MikaelNashville PredatorsNHL50%$872,845111---0000--
Saros, JuuseNashville PredatorsIR-$698,275011-------00
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$29,2552146723511
Change$626,896-1-2-2-200
Final$656,151 (↑)20 (↓)44 (↓)70 (↓)1 (↓)511000
Mar. 15, 2021 at 5:37 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Keep Engvall and obviously wait until Saros is off IR (and also Campbell) but this is the right kind of overpay. Toronto fans will murder you for this but if there's ever a win now trade, this is it.
Tntpod and Columbus_super_fan liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 6:20 p.m.
Quoting: reelkena
Keep Engvall and obviously wait until Saros is off IR (and also Campbell) but this is the right kind of overpay. Toronto fans will murder you for this but if there's ever a win now trade, this is it.

As a Leaf fan, I don't think that's true (the murder part). I think this is a great trade for both teams, though I would tweak it a bit. Vesey / Kerfoot / Engvall are just cap fodder in this move. (Though I like what Kerfoot has brought to the table this year and think he'll be missed, and I've always liked Engvall's hustle in a Hyman-lite role). I'd rather keep Kerfoot than Engvall, but cap numbers would dictate he needs to go. Anyone wanting Freddy to stay hasn't seen him play other than in the highlights. He has given up way too many soft and untimely goals. I think Campbell and Saros could be a great 1A / 1B tandem, at a much better cap hit, and if you need to upgrade the spot, there will be lots of rentals available. Not a huge Granlund fan, but they need him to upgrade the 3 /4 hole. The over pay is definitely with the 2 firsts and Amirov / Robertson, but you gotta give to get. I honestly think they'd want a young D back instead of all forwards. If you can swap out Amirov or Robertson and put in a Liljgren / Dermott (won't give up Sandin), I'd be happier, but that might drop the value too low.

And if we could throw in JT, that would be a bonus.
reelkena liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 6:47 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Quoting: Dutchies
As a Leaf fan, I don't think that's true (the murder part). I think this is a great trade for both teams, though I would tweak it a bit. Vesey / Kerfoot / Engvall are just cap fodder in this move. (Though I like what Kerfoot has brought to the table this year and think he'll be missed, and I've always liked Engvall's hustle in a Hyman-lite role). I'd rather keep Kerfoot than Engvall, but cap numbers would dictate he needs to go. Anyone wanting Freddy to stay hasn't seen him play other than in the highlights. He has given up way too many soft and untimely goals. I think Campbell and Saros could be a great 1A / 1B tandem, at a much better cap hit, and if you need to upgrade the spot, there will be lots of rentals available. Not a huge Granlund fan, but they need him to upgrade the 3 /4 hole. The over pay is definitely with the 2 firsts and Amirov / Robertson, but you gotta give to get. I honestly think they'd want a young D back instead of all forwards. If you can swap out Amirov or Robertson and put in a Liljgren / Dermott (won't give up Sandin), I'd be happier, but that might drop the value too low.

Engvall can stay because he doesn't matter to the cap hit in this trade. He's a free body you might as well have.
Swapping Amirov for Liljegren seems fine to me, no way you're swapping out Robertson, Nsh would walk.
Campbell and Saros could be a "fine" tandem but lets not kid ourselves, there's no good answer in net here.
Having said that, everyones hate on Freddy is simply mathematically wrong. He's 17th out of 49 in goals saved above expected and 17th out of 49 in Sv% above expected. He's the mid pack of mid pack goalies. The scoring chances given up are just worse than other teams. That's not opinion, that's stats. I'm inclined to like a trade despite that for Freddy's sake and so the fans realize they're wrong and stop trying to kill Dubas for doing everything right since the contracts that were too big.

And JT wont waive his NMC under any circumstance.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 7:41 p.m.
Engvall can stay because he doesn't matter to the cap hit in this trade. He's a free body you might as well have.
Swapping Amirov for Liljegren seems fine to me, no way you're swapping out Robertson, Nsh would walk.
Campbell and Saros could be a "fine" tandem but lets not kid ourselves, there's no good answer in net here.
Having said that, everyones hate on Freddy is simply mathematically wrong. He's 17th out of 49 in goals saved above expected and 17th out of 49 in Sv% above expected. He's the mid pack of mid pack goalies. The scoring chances given up are just worse than other teams. That's not opinion, that's stats. I'm inclined to like a trade despite that for Freddy's sake and so the fans realize they're wrong and stop trying to kill Dubas for doing everything right since the contracts that were too big.

And JT wont waive his NMC under any circumstance.

I know JT isn't going anywhere.....he just needs to start playing a North South game again instead of trying to be Marner.
Nevre said Freddy was a bad goalie. I've seen the Leafs ruin so many promising careers (both with goalies and D-men.

I have issues with both Nylander and Tavares. but the difference is, I know what Nylander is an have come to accept it. He'll never dig a puck out of a corner or throw a check on a big guy. But I also know what Tavares is and should be, and he hasn't been that this year at all.

Agreed, Robertson is special and semi proven, and if I'm NSH he's the key piece. Never know what you're gonna get with a young Russian skill guy.

Freddy is a decent goalie, but they need a guy that looks like the Michelin Man......and that's with a much improved D this year
reelkena liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 7:45 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
I know JT isn't going anywhere.....he just needs to start playing a North South game again instead of trying to be Marner.
Nevre said Freddy was a bad goalie. I've seen the Leafs ruin so many promising careers (both with goalies and D-men.

I have issues with both Nylander and Tavares. but the difference is, I know what Nylander is an have come to accept it. He'll never dig a puck out of a corner or throw a check on a big guy. But I also know what Tavares is and should be, and he hasn't been that this year at all.

Agreed, Robertson is special and semi proven, and if I'm NSH he's the key piece. Never know what you're gonna get with a young Russian skill guy.

Freddy is a decent goalie, but they need a guy that looks like the Michelin Man......and that's with a much improved D this year

Agree with everything said there. But there's no michelin man available and fans need to realize that you're gonna win or lose with middling goaltending. can't fix everything.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 7:50 p.m.

Yeah but when they pull a Leafs in the playoffs again...they are screwing their future with nothing to show for it.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 7:59 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Quoting: Rhea
Yeah but when they pull a Leafs in the playoffs again...they are screwing their future with nothing to show for it.

If you always expect a "leafs in the playoffs" then what future is there? You just have to go for it and hope.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 8:33 p.m.
Agree with everything said there. But there's no michelin man available and fans need to realize that you're gonna win or lose with middling goaltending. can't fix everything.

You're totally right. There aren't many goalies that can steal you games consistently, and those that can aren't getting moved. And they also usually wind up with over inflated contracts. They don't need a Brodeur, they need a Grant Fuhr. Brodeur was an amazing goalie, but only faced 20 shots a game. The team in front of him was stellar....I still remember a playoff game where they held the Leafs to 7 total shots. Fuhr might have given up 4-5 a game, but when a 5-4 game was on the line, he was a brick wall keeping out the 5th. And that's how the Leaf's play.
reelkena liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 9:03 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
You're totally right. There aren't many goalies that can steal you games consistently, and those that can aren't getting moved. And they also usually wind up with over inflated contracts. They don't need a Brodeur, they need a Grant Fuhr. Brodeur was an amazing goalie, but only faced 20 shots a game. The team in front of him was stellar....I still remember a playoff game where they held the Leafs to 7 total shots. Fuhr might have given up 4-5 a game, but when a 5-4 game was on the line, he was a brick wall keeping out the 5th. And that's how the Leaf's play.

I don't know who you are or where you came from but you are my favorite new person.

PS I have always thought Brodeur was the most overrated player in NHL history for exactly that reason.

@Rhea There's two Leaf fans I like now.
Dutchies liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 9:31 p.m.
I don't know who you are or where you came from but you are my favorite new person.

PS I have always thought Brodeur was the most overrated player in NHL history for exactly that reason.

We're growing on you man. We're not all nuts either
reelkena liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 9:50 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Quoting: Rhea
We're growing on you man. We're not all nuts either

I mean, most of you still are. Lets not be exaggerating here. I'm a Canucks fan and I hate like 99% of Canuck fans. Some of them want to trade Bo and Boeser and rebuild. So don't think it's just you guys, but it is a lot of you guys.
Rhea liked this.
Mar. 16, 2021 at 12:56 a.m.
Stand Witness
No way either do this. But Toronto for sure does not do this.
Mar. 16, 2021 at 10:05 a.m.
Hutch For Vezina

why does everyone hate JT he hasnt been great this year but he is a great leader and is just having a hard time finding his purpose in his new spot with nylander.
Dutchies liked this.
Mar. 27, 2021 at 6:57 p.m.
Quoting: Ldog92
why does everyone hate JT he hasnt been great this year but he is a great leader and is just having a hard time finding his purpose in his new spot with nylander.

His problem is he's changed his game. He's a North / South, bull in a china shop type of player. He's playing too soft and trying to make Marner type drop passes in his own zone. He's missing easy passes and giving up on plays. He's a top tier player, but after his first year, he's been playing well below that. And playing with Nylander is a bad excuse. How many wingers did he make look like superstars on The Island?
Mar. 27, 2021 at 7:04 p.m.

#BLUSHING
#DONTTELLMYWIFE
reelkena liked this.
Mar. 27, 2021 at 8:37 p.m.
Sir
I am trying to make sense of this one and how it helps both teams? I mean I can see how it helps the leafs - but not sure how it helps the Preds.

Vessey was waived and no one picked him up - so he is a warm body
Andersen is a UFA at the end of the year so he wont like stay with the preds as they already have an aging goalie in Rinne
Engvail is a bottom 6 and I dare say a dime a dozen player

So this trade looks more like the Leafs getting Forsberg, Granlund, Saros and Eks of which Eks and Foresberg have a year left on their contracts so its not a rental play for Kerfoot and two 1st round picks (Robertson is doing ok for the Marlies in 10 games, but no one knows how this will translate yet to the NHL).

If this is the case, I would be happy for the Bruins to move Lauko, two 1sts and anyone of the 4 players that fall similarly to Kerfoot - Smith, Kase, Ritchie or Coyle (maybe do a 2nd pick instead of a 1st because the Bruins dont need Saros at all).

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll