Forums/Armchair-GM

TMLTRADE

Created by: TooMalevolent
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 16, 2021
Published: Mar. 17, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Does any of this makes sense? Too little or too much for the trades?
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Amirov, Rodion
3$900,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Bertuzzi, Tyler ($1,750,000 retained)
DET
  1. Amirov, Rodion
  2. 2021 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Nash, Riley ($1,375,000 retained)
  2. Savard, David ($2,125,000 retained)
CBJ
  1. Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (TOR)
  4. 2022 3rd round pick (TOR)
  5. 2022 5th round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$77,962,241$0$0$3,537,759
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,375,000$1,375,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
-$1,062,500-$1,062,500
RD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500 ($0$0$0$0)
LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$821,667$821,667 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
RFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 17, 2021 at 4:13 a.m.
CbjSabresDucks
I'm sure TOR fans will shat on me for this but if I'm Detroit, bertuzzi starts with Sandin.
BStinson and TooMalevolent liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 4:39 a.m.
Switch Amirov for Sandin and I’d do it. Detroit already has some good young talent coming up soon Zadina, Raymond, and Berggren. What they need is a LD or C.
mikearky and TooMalevolent liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 6:15 a.m.
Quoting: BStinson
Switch Amirov for Sandin and I’d do it. Detroit already has some good young talent coming up soon Zadina, Raymond, and Berggren. What they need is a LD or C.

Leafs pass, it is reported that Sandin is the only untouchable when it comes to this deadline. They won't move him unless they resign Mo. But if they resign Mo then I find it less likely they move him as he is cheap. All in all our top prospect is not going to be dealt for a player who will likely end up on our third line, it would be for a legit top line forward.
Oodz and TooMalevolent liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 7:03 a.m.
arky
Bertuzzi is not being traded. I could see Mantha traded as he is an riddle. Not consistent and takes to many plays off.

Toronto says Sandin is off limits, well nobody is giving up a top 6 forward for the likes of Engvall or Dermott. The 1st round pick will be in the high 20's or even in the 30 or 31 range depending on the final rankings. The probelm the players the Leafs want to trade are not the kind of players rebuilding clubs want. Kerfoot, Engvall, Dermott just do not move the needle. To get quality you need to trade quality and that is the problem. Many times in this site Leaf fans say the top 6 and these players are off limits, well they happen to be the players rebuilding teams would ask for in trades. Nobody is gifting better player for scraps. This is not to bag on Leaf fan's , just a commentary of what it will.take to get the likes of Bertuzzi, Ekhlom and others.
Oodz and TooMalevolent liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 8:42 a.m.
Quoting: mikearky
Bertuzzi is not being traded. I could see Mantha traded as he is an riddle. Not consistent and takes to many plays off.

Toronto says Sandin is off limits, well nobody is giving up a top 6 forward for the likes of Engvall or Dermott. The 1st round pick will be in the high 20's or even in the 30 or 31 range depending on the final rankings. The probelm the players the Leafs want to trade are not the kind of players rebuilding clubs want. Kerfoot, Engvall, Dermott just do not move the needle. To get quality you need to trade quality and that is the problem. Many times in this site Leaf fans say the top 6 and these players are off limits, well they happen to be the players rebuilding teams would ask for in trades. Nobody is gifting better player for scraps. This is not to bag on Leaf fan's , just a commentary of what it will.take to get the likes of Bertuzzi, Ekhlom and others.

So what you are telling me is that teams don't view Robertson amirov liljegren and first round picks as valuable assets, to me that's a little ridiculous. Those are the prospects available along with the picks. Sometimes when a rebuilding team needs assets to rebuild they aren't in the strongest bargaining position. If you can't take the teams absolute best prospect you take the next best and if you don't have that mentality you will not be successful in building a team.
TooMalevolent liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 8:48 a.m.

I agree with your larger point and see what you are talking about. But this trade is a 1st round pick plus a player taken in the first round last year. My thinking on this trade was the Blake Coleman trade TB made last year. I would argue based on health and position and general skill, Coleman is the better player.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 9:50 a.m.
Quoting: Bdawwwgy1
I'm sure TOR fans will shat on me for this but if I'm Detroit, bertuzzi starts with Sandin.

Yeah I get liking one prospect over another. That would all depend on how the leafs value their prospects and how the team that is they are trading with values them.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 10:01 a.m.
arky
Quoting: TheOtherAuston
So what you are telling me is that teams don't view Robertson amirov liljegren and first round picks as valuable assets, to me that's a little ridiculous. Those are the prospects available along with the picks. Sometimes when a rebuilding team needs assets to rebuild they aren't in the strongest bargaining position. If you can't take the teams absolute best prospect you take the next best and if you don't have that mentality you will not be successful in building a team.

1st Wings have several prospects, what they need a is a LHD. They ha e several forwards in the pipeline, Raymond, Berrgren, Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, Soderbloom and defensemen like Sieder, Toumisto and to a lesser extent McIssacs.

Bertuzzi is still a RFA after this year and rebuilding teams rarely trade good young players for younger unknown players and picks. Bertuzzi is a very good player and part of the rebuild not an asset that is expendable. Generally, rebuilding teams trade older players with little term and maybe salary retention. Rebuilding teams trading young RFA players for younger players just make the rebuilding team a feeder team for other teams and prolongs the rebuild.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 10:35 a.m.
1st Wings have several prospects, what they need a is a LHD. They ha e several forwards in the pipeline, Raymond, Berrgren, Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, Soderbloom and defensemen like Sieder, Toumisto and to a lesser extent McIssacs.

Bertuzzi is still a RFA after this year and rebuilding teams rarely trade good young players for younger unknown players and picks. Bertuzzi is a very good player and part of the rebuild not an asset that is expendable. Generally, rebuilding teams trade older players with little term and maybe salary retention. Rebuilding teams trading young RFA players for younger players just make the rebuilding team a feeder team for other teams and prolongs the rebuild.

I'm not trying to be rude at all when I say this, but the wings have one of the lowest ranked prospect pools in the NHL, I think if you can improve it at any position you need too.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 10:36 a.m.
Leafs pass, it is reported that Sandin is the only untouchable when it comes to this deadline. They won't move him unless they resign Mo. But if they resign Mo then I find it less likely they move him as he is cheap. All in all our top prospect is not going to be dealt for a player who will likely end up on our third line, it would be for a legit top line forward.

That’s fine, I was merely stating moving Mo/Bert would be to address an area of weakness LD/C. If it doesn’t then it’s less motivation to pull the trigger. I’m not sure where you got third line unless it’s based on chemistry as he’d be your third best winger. The Athletic article about Dubas and the TDL said he would be open to trading a top prospect and he will explore every opportunity. I don’t see where Dubas specifically said Sandin is off limits.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 10:38 a.m.
I'm not trying to be rude at all when I say this, but the wings have one of the lowest ranked prospect pools in the NHL, I think if you can improve it at any position you need too.

According to whom? Every professional scouting service that publishes rankings has us in the top 5. Wheeler came out on a DRW podcast and even explain his. Please explain this speculation.
mikearky liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 10:40 a.m.
That’s fine, I was merely stating moving Mo/Bert would be to address an area of weakness LD/C. If it doesn’t then it’s less motivation to pull the trigger. I’m not sure where you got third line unless it’s based on chemistry as he’d be your third best winger. The Athletic article about Dubas and the TDL said he would be open to trading a top prospect and he will explore every opportunity. I don’t see where Dubas specifically said Sandin is off limits.

I was more hinting towards chemistry but Bertuzzi would likely be our 4th best winger behind Hyman. As for Sandin Dubas recent comments would lean towards Sandin being a part of the team come playoffs or next season.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 10:53 a.m.
According to whom? Every professional scouting service that publishes rankings has us in the top 5. Wheeler came out on a DRW podcast and even explain his. Please explain this speculation.

I think they have 3 maybe 4 top prospects the rest are pickums. I should have been slightly more clear, in correlation to the amount of picks they have had over the last 3 years (one of the highest in the NHL) they should have made out better on there picks turning into high quality assets, and I'm not saying the leafs are all that great right now either but the two teams are in completely different positions. For instance let's say the wings were in the leafs position in the standings the three prospects that would be available are seider veleno and wallinder, and as a wings fan you would likely say the first two aren't available because they have the highest upside for there respective positions and then you would try too pedal your B prospects. The leafs aren't even doing that. They are offering top quality guys in multiples... Not just one.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 10:54 a.m.
I was more hinting towards chemistry but Bertuzzi would likely be our 4th best winger behind Hyman. As for Sandin Dubas recent comments would lean towards Sandin being a part of the team come playoffs or next season.

TSN did report that leafs see Sandin as essentially untouchable. Meaning were they to trade him, I doubt it would be in a package for someone like Bertuzzi.
TheOtherAuston liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 11:14 a.m.

I can see an argument for Hyman but ultimately Bertuzzi has achieved more at a younger age and still has two seasons with higher production than Hyman while still being 4ish years younger.

I think they have 3 maybe 4 top prospects the rest are pickums. I should have been slightly more clear, in correlation to the amount of picks they have had over the last 3 years (one of the highest in the NHL) they should have made out better on there picks turning into high quality assets, and I'm not saying the leafs are all that great right now either but the two teams are in completely different positions. For instance let's say the wings were in the leafs position in the standings the three prospects that would be available are seider veleno and wallinder, and as a wings fan you would likely say the first two aren't available because they have the highest upside for there respective positions and then you would try too pedal your B prospects. The leafs aren't even doing that. They are offering top quality guys in multiples... Not just one.

So again, Detroit is a top 5 prospect pool now but according to you in the previous 3 drafts they sucked? That doesn’t even make sense nor judging prospects a year or two after their draft. Yzerman has only been here for 2 but I’ll just point out the three drafts. Zadina (top 6 winger with top line potential) graduated, Berggren (top 6 winger tearing up SHL), Veleno (mid 6 center prospect looking good on a terrible SHL team), McIsaac (LD defensive D thats had injury issues with possible second pairing potential), Seider (arguably the best defense prospect not in the NHL and setting SHL records), Tuomisto (NCAA defensemen with a ton of tools to love), Wallinder is similar to Tuomisto but SHL bound, Lucas Raymond (first line winger potential), and Neiderbach (mid six potential skilled center). That’s just looking at the past three years and couple rounds while having the worst lottery luck in that span and you’re looking at judging non-first rounders within a couple years of a draft especially defensemen, jeez that’s grasping at straws backpedaling. If my team wanted a proven NHL player and we were in a position to contend then yeah I’d give up futures to help my team win a cup...
mikearky liked this.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 11:15 a.m.

I think this is the best way to put it. Overall I think teams are always trying to find a better balance with prospects. For a team like the leafs, prospects should be on the table because their window to try to win is now. However, trade value is trade value. Just throwing first and all your young players only makes sense when it is worth it. For Detroit, I think the balance is finding out how good your current system is and your long-term outlook. I think Detroit has a good prospect system, but from my understanding it's not really in the top5. And this team seems like it really is far way from competing. I like Tyler Bertuzzi and Mantha, but these guys are older than one would think. Even if Detroit is ready to make the playoffs in 3 years or so in what looks like a tough division, these players might be 30 by then. How much are they helping? And the longer it takes for Detroit to get better, the lower their trade value gets. At a later point you are not getting a first round pick and a prospect recently taken in the mid first. I like Bertuzzi a ton, but he's not close to Mark Stone.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 12:42 p.m.
arky

What source are you referencing? Again most pundits have Wings in the top half of prospect rankings.

So you say, but pundits who do this for a living say different. You could be right, no offense I read several sources who say differently. Yes will.all the prospects pan out, of course not, we both know that, but to say most are pickers is opinion, based only on your definition. Yzerman proved , whether by luck or just good scouting, can draft well. If what you say is they should take more picks and propsects for proven players makes no sense. You defeat your own arguement. If the cupboard is bare then why give him more bullets just to waste them.

Again, I have stated on here many times, teams in a rebuild need to draw a line in the sand and start from there. If we trade Mantha, Bertuzzi and Hronek for futures and they pan out or look like they are planning out, teams in the next 4 to 5 years will say, you need to rebuild and take picks and younger prospects. It creates a cycle or never ending rebuild. Wings become a feeder system for other clubs. Not truly a NHL team.

Are the Wings down, yes no question. Have they hit rock bottom, I hope so, but I beleive so and now it is up to Yzerman to guide the team forward.

Will Bertuzzi or other young players like Mantha, Zadina, Hronek or Larkin be dealt, maybe but they are not being traded for younger players who have proved nothing for the same position. They will trade them to plug holes where we have lack or prospect talent.

Sandin probably is not getting traded, I understand, but the Wings will want what they want or they will pass. Some on this post make it like Wings have no choice, and that is just arrogance.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 1:09 p.m.
Edited Mar. 17, 2021 at 1:16 p.m.
What source are you referencing? Again most pundits have Wings in the top half of prospect rankings.

I think you make fair points and I understand the perspective. But similar to the reply, I have not really read that the Wings system is rated that high. Now obviously rankings are subjective- and publications/experts value certain players over others, some value depth and likelihood of playing over ceiling- but from what I have seen their system is not that strong based on where the team has been in recent years. It's why I fall on the original point that the organization should still be stockpiling assets and trading the mid age guys who's impact will be lower when they are ready to make the playoffs.

So you say, but pundits who do this for a living say different. You could be right, no offense I read several sources who say differently. Yes will.all the prospects pan out, of course not, we both know that, but to say most are pickers is opinion, based only on your definition. Yzerman proved , whether by luck or just good scouting, can draft well. If what you say is they should take more picks and propsects for proven players makes no sense. You defeat your own arguement. If the cupboard is bare then why give him more bullets just to waste them.

Again, I have stated on here many times, teams in a rebuild need to draw a line in the sand and start from there. If we trade Mantha, Bertuzzi and Hronek for futures and they pan out or look like they are planning out, teams in the next 4 to 5 years will say, you need to rebuild and take picks and younger prospects. It creates a cycle or never ending rebuild. Wings become a feeder system for other clubs. Not truly a NHL team.

Are the Wings down, yes no question. Have they hit rock bottom, I hope so, but I beleive so and now it is up to Yzerman to guide the team forward.

Will Bertuzzi or other young players like Mantha, Zadina, Hronek or Larkin be dealt, maybe but they are not being traded for younger players who have proved nothing for the same position. They will trade them to plug holes where we have lack or prospect talent.

Sandin probably is not getting traded, I understand, but the Wings will want what they want or they will pass. Some on this post make it like Wings have no choice, and that is just arrogance.

I think you make fair points and I understand your perspective. I just think that the team is clearly still in the rebuild and should be considering moving out mid-age guys for futures. I guess the disagreement is just over what those futures are. I think the leafs don't do a first and someone like Sandin because they think that is too much. Maybe the Wings don't do it because they think another prospect is not enough. I do think however the wings should be moving guys like Burtuzzi and Mantha because they still seem some time away and I don't know when this team will be able to compete. I also don't see the one stud guy, so I think having quantity of good young guys is critical. But if course one of the guys could develop into that. I know alot of people were wrong on Seider.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
I can see an argument for Hyman but ultimately Bertuzzi has achieved more at a younger age and still has two seasons with higher production than Hyman while still being 4ish years younger.

So again, Detroit is a top 5 prospect pool now but according to you in the previous 3 drafts they sucked? That doesn’t even make sense nor judging prospects a year or two after their draft. Yzerman has only been here for 2 but I’ll just point out the three drafts. Zadina (top 6 winger with top line potential) graduated, Berggren (top 6 winger tearing up SHL), Veleno (mid 6 center prospect looking good on a terrible SHL team), McIsaac (LD defensive D thats had injury issues with possible second pairing potential), Seider (arguably the best defense prospect not in the NHL and setting SHL records), Tuomisto (NCAA defensemen with a ton of tools to love), Wallinder is similar to Tuomisto but SHL bound, Lucas Raymond (first line winger potential), and Neiderbach (mid six potential skilled center). That’s just looking at the past three years and couple rounds while having the worst lottery luck in that span and you’re looking at judging non-first rounders within a couple years of a draft especially defensemen, jeez that’s grasping at straws backpedaling. If my team wanted a proven NHL player and we were in a position to contend then yeah I’d give up futures to help my team win a cup...

Ah Raymond I knew I was forgetting one, and prospects are players not in the NHL so zadina doesn't count here. As for the others Toronto has extremely similar picks doing the same thing. What I'm saying is the top pedigree picks that's it not the fringe top end talent. In relation to amount of picks they have had they aren't bringing as much out of those picks. And I'm not saying it's Yzerman I think he is a good gm for sure I think it was the two years before Yzerman that hurt their prospect pool. I guess it's a difference in opinion. Also Hyman is only two years older. I agree Bertuzzi has a bit more production but Hyman is the literal complete player that needs to be cloned for science.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 6:41 p.m.

I don't disagree with any of that. I think I'm being misunderstood. Of course Detroit has good prospects but I just don't think all of them are as good as some people think, I think the majority of yzermans picks have been pretty good picks im simply saying guys who might be 5+ years older than the majority of the players hitting the team now could be dealt for impact players or prospects of high quality too better fit the long term dynamic of the team. Of course you want to fill needs but it's extremely rare to see a team give up there absolute #1 prospect for a guy who will be on the 2nd or 3rd line. Those assets are reserved for idk let's say Florida was in the tank and barkov was on his last or second last year THATS the type of player you move your number 1 prospect and maybe number 2 prospect. Bertuzzi is a better kapanen so when everyone said we got way more than what he was worth than realistically that's a package that could get a Bertuzzi type and hallander was nowhere near top prospect.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 8:14 p.m.
Ah Raymond I knew I was forgetting one, and prospects are players not in the NHL so zadina doesn't count here. As for the others Toronto has extremely similar picks doing the same thing. What I'm saying is the top pedigree picks that's it not the fringe top end talent. In relation to amount of picks they have had they aren't bringing as much out of those picks. And I'm not saying it's Yzerman I think he is a good gm for sure I think it was the two years before Yzerman that hurt their prospect pool. I guess it's a difference in opinion. Also Hyman is only two years older. I agree Bertuzzi has a bit more production but Hyman is the literal complete player that needs to be cloned for science.

I said Zadina was graduated and you were the one that said the last three drafts so I just went through them. I’m not in love with the prior drafts from Holland & Wright especially 2017 and the others were mid to late round picks so not exactly working with blue chippers but they did snag young roster players outside the first (eg Bertuzzi, Hronek) that exceeded their draft slot and are young enough for Yzerman’s rebuild.

Hyman is a good two way player but the same is said about Bertuzzi. He’s gritty, tough in front of the net, clutch, and plays a complete two way game. Which is why I said it’s arguable between the two. If you want to clone anyone it should be Matthews.
Mar. 17, 2021 at 9:12 p.m.
I said Zadina was graduated and you were the one that said the last three drafts so I just went through them. I’m not in love with the prior drafts from Holland & Wright especially 2017 and the others were mid to late round picks so not exactly working with blue chippers but they did snag young roster players outside the first (eg Bertuzzi, Hronek) that exceeded their draft slot and are young enough for Yzerman’s rebuild.

Hyman is a good two way player but the same is said about Bertuzzi. He’s gritty, tough in front of the net, clutch, and plays a complete two way game. Which is why I said it’s arguable between the two. If you want to clone anyone it should be Matthews.

I never said I didn't like Bertuzzi I think he's a really good player but as for the cloning thing it was kinda just a little humor. Hyman is without a doubt Dubas best deal even though he was only agm at the time he was the one who pushed it to Lou, he's just excellent for the price and will still be excellent for his new price. I'm not afraid to say he will undoubtedly go down as the hardest working leaf of all time and probably a top ten favorite of all time if he resigns and retires here.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll