Created by: KANYE_IS_KING
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 18, 2021
Published: Mar. 18, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
TOR
  1. Ekholm, Mattias
  2. Granlund, Mikael ($1,875,000 retained)
NSH
  1. Dermott, Travis
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
  3. Liljegren, Timothy
  4. 2021 1st round pick (TOR)
  5. 2022 2nd round pick (TOR)
  6. 2023 2nd round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,397,283$0$0$102,717
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 18, 2021 at 3:51 p.m.
sensonfire
For Ekholm, Nashville will want something like what the Kings got for Muzzin.

For Granlund, Nashville will want something like what the Rangers got for Zuccarello or what the Red Wings got for Nyquist.

There's your answer smile
justaBoss liked this.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 3:56 p.m.
The 1 True GM
Not too far off IMO... Amirov over Liljigren though. If Nashville is going through a rebuild theyll be looking for prospects thatll be ready in a couple years not now.
KANYE_IS_KING liked this.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 3:59 p.m.
What in tarnation
Value is there, but the pieces offered here are simply something NSH don't really need.

You can get Ekholm for Liljegren+Hirvonen+1st

You can get Granlund for two 2nds.

NSH have virtually no use for Kerfoot or Dermott.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 3:59 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Edited Mar. 18, 2021 at 4:07 p.m.
Very far off - see first response above
Mar. 18, 2021 at 4:01 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Quoting: justaBoss
Value is there, but the pieces offered here are simply something NSH don't really need.

You can get Ekholm for Liljegren+Hirvonen+1st

You can get Granlund for two 2nds.

NSH have virtually no use for Kerfoot or Dermott.

Overvalue is there.

Has does nashville have no use for Dermott?

B. Harpur has played 10 games for them this season.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 4:05 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
If you’ve ever played Chel, you know you’re only allowed 5 assets per side of the trade.

Therefore I call this invalid.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 4:07 p.m.
sensonfire
Looking at this trade more closely and using my previous comment as a guide, this is a home run for David Poile and the Nashville Predators.

Toronto is getting absolutely fleeced here smile
Saskleaf and Barilko14 liked this.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 4:21 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
@Trevorchef 's suggestion of Robertson and Sandin and Toronto's 2021 first in exchange for Granlund with retention and Ekholm seems fair -- Nashville gets the two guys that would replace Granlund and Ekholm in the normal course of events if they were in the Nashville system already, plus a first.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 4:45 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Barilko14
Overvalue is there.

Has does nashville have no use for Dermott?

B. Harpur has played 10 games for them this season.

Only because of injuries.

If they move Ekholm, they're on a retool. No need for NHL ready assets then, but futures. Dermott's turning 25 at the end of the year, I don't see him developing that much anymore.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 4:49 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Quoting: OldNYIfan
@Trevorchef 's suggestion of Robertson and Sandin and Toronto's 2021 first in exchange for Granlund with retention and Ekholm seems fair -- Nashville gets the two guys that would replace Granlund and Ekholm in the normal course of events if they were in the Nashville system already, plus a first.

He said that about Forsberg and Ekholm, that's not on the table for Granlund.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 4:55 p.m.
He said that about Forsberg and Ekholm, that's not on the table for Granlund.

I said that it would get them listening. Nothing more.

An opening offer like that would get most teams attention.

I seriously doubt that would be the end of the deal though. Those are two premier players with term left. Anything short of that.... I'm sure Nashville could do better elsewhere.

If the plan in Nashville is a rebuild.... Robertson, Sandin and a 1st is a great start. I don't think rebuilding is their plan though.

Replacing guys like Ekholm and Forsberg isn't as easy as it sounds. Especially with term left on their deals.

It would take a massive injection of blue chip prospects and picks for them to part with both of those guys IMO.

Sandin + Robertson + 1st round pick is the start of such a massive injection. Not the end result.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 4:55 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Only because of injuries.

If they move Ekholm, they're on a retool. No need for NHL ready assets then, but futures. Dermott's turning 25 at the end of the year, I don't see him developing that much anymore.

After Josi (if they moved Ekholm) they barely have NHL LD. Dermott turned 24 3 months ago. If his game grows or not, retool or not, he'd still be able to contribute to the Preds for several years.

He'd step onto their 2nd pair right now (injuries or not), and if they find someone to play ahead of him, he's a solid 3rd pair guy for them.

You probably have a point about Kerfoot, but to dismiss Nashville from having any interest in Dermott is ridiculous.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Quoting: Trevorchef
I said that it would get them listening. Nothing more.

An opening offer like that would get most teams attention.

I seriously doubt that would be the end of the deal though. Those are two premier players with term left. Anything short of that.... I'm sure Nashville could do better elsewhere.

If the plan in Nashville is a rebuild.... Robertson, Sandin and a 1st is a great start. I don't think rebuilding is their plan though.

Replacing guys like Ekholm and Forsberg isn't as easy as it sounds. Especially with term left on their deals.

It would take a massive injection of blue chip prospects and picks for them to part with both of those guys IMO.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned with the cost for Forsberg, I highly doubt Nashville is moving him, and even if Toronto somehow got him, it would lead to major roster changes next year, so just don't see it.

I really don't see Sandin and Robertson on the table this trade deadline, not with the Leafs lack of capspace today and going forward.
Trevorchef liked this.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 5:06 p.m.
Yeah, I'm not too concerned with the cost for Forsberg, I highly doubt Nashville is moving him, and even if Toronto somehow got him, it would lead to major roster changes next year, so just don't see it.

I really don't see Sandin and Robertson on the table this trade deadline, not with the Leafs lack of capspace today and going forward.

Nor do I brother.

The kid was throwing darts at a board that he really doesn't completely understand. I was responding accordingly.

Expect the follow up post shortly..... "How about now.... Does this work?"
Barilko14 liked this.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 5:29 p.m.
What in tarnation
After Josi (if they moved Ekholm) they barely have NHL LD. Dermott turned 24 3 months ago. If his game grows or not, retool or not, he'd still be able to contribute to the Preds for several years.

He'd step onto their 2nd pair right now (injuries or not), and if they find someone to play ahead of him, he's a solid 3rd pair guy for them.

You probably have a point about Kerfoot, but to dismiss Nashville from having any interest in Dermott is ridiculous.

No, not really. If we were to add all D names there, they'd sort out as

Josi-Fabbro
Farrance-Ellis
Borowiecki-Liljegren

They already have the prospect to replace Ekholm with. Farrance's numbers in NCAA rival those of Makar's during his last year there.

Dermott MIGHT be useful for them as a Borowiecki replacement, but honestly he's not the kinda guy Preds would be after.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 5:40 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
No, not really. If we were to add all D names there, they'd sort out as

Josi-Fabbro
Farrance-Ellis
Borowiecki-Liljegren

They already have the prospect to replace Ekholm with. Farrance's numbers in NCAA rival those of Makar's during his last year there.

Dermott MIGHT be useful for them as a Borowiecki replacement, but honestly he's not the kinda guy Preds would be after.

Yes, because as we all know numbers/play in the NCAA directly translates to instant success in the NHL.

Best to have zero competition for Farrance and bank on him being capable for top 4 minutes (always a wise strategy with rookie defenders).

I stand corrected!!
Mar. 18, 2021 at 5:42 p.m.
What in tarnation
Yes, because as we all know numbers/play in the NCAA directly translates to instant success in the NHL.

Best to have zero competition for Farrance and bank on him being capable for top 4 minutes (always a wise strategy with rookie defenders).

I stand corrected!!

Let's just say his background is looking very promising. But naturally there's competition, for instance players like Benning, Carrier, Harpur and Davies were left out of the lineup.

Nothing's guaranteed, naturally, but there's very much competition in NSH defense. It's not a bad D after all. I don't think Dermott adds anything in theory to the roster what they don't already have.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 5:53 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Let's just say his background is looking very promising. But naturally there's competition, for instance players like Benning, Carrier, Harpur and Davies were left out of the lineup.

Nothing's guaranteed, naturally, but there's very much competition in NSH defense. It's not a bad D after all. I don't think Dermott adds anything in theory to the roster what they don't already have.

There's plenty of competition, it's an NHL team, it's just not good NHL competition, The fact Dermott is better than all of those players, and a few that you've listed in the top 6 is what he'd be able to add.

If Nashville's defensive depth was half decent they wouldn't be a horrible team today. They're the 6th worst team in ga/g. That's not all on goaltending.

Farrance certainly has an upside, but to have him and Borowiecki as the only options for 2LD to start next season, is a pretty risky way to start the year.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 5:59 p.m.
What in tarnation
There's plenty of competition, it's an NHL team, it's just not good NHL competition, The fact Dermott is better than all of those players, and a few that you've listed in the top 6 is what he'd be able to add.

If Nashville's defensive depth was half decent they wouldn't be a horrible team today. They're the 6th worst team in ga/g. That's not all on goaltending.

Farrance certainly has an upside, but to have him and Borowiecki as the only options for 2LD to start next season, is a pretty risky way to start the year.

Mostly due to injuries. All of Josi, Ellis and Ekholm have missed games this year.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 7:56 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Mostly due to injuries. All of Josi, Ellis and Ekholm have missed games this year.

Yeah, and the replacements are barely NHLers, hence why the team looks terrible.

Also, every team gets injuries, Leafs went weeks without Rielly and Muzzin (at the same time) last year. Dermott was able to fill the void.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 8:01 p.m.
What in tarnation
Yeah, and the replacements are barely NHLers, hence why the team looks terrible.

Also, every team gets injuries, Leafs went weeks without Rielly and Muzzin (at the same time) last year. Dermott was able to fill the void.

Seldom do I see a team lose all their top D-men.

And with all due respect for Rielly and Muzzin, Josi won the Norris and Ellis was a contender. Their impact for Preds is higher than Rielly's and Muzzin's are for the Leafs - atlhough if I recall correctly, losing Muzzin last year was the main reason CBJ dropped them so early.

But I digress. I've already said that Dermott might be useful for them, but not exactly the guy I'd be after. The biggest reason why Ekholm is rumored to be on the move is the ExD, and taking Dermott means he's the most likely guy heading to Seattle.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 8:13 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Seldom do I see a team lose all their top D-men.

And with all due respect for Rielly and Muzzin, Josi won the Norris and Ellis was a contender. Their impact for Preds is higher than Rielly's and Muzzin's are for the Leafs - atlhough if I recall correctly, losing Muzzin last year was the main reason CBJ dropped them so early.

But I digress. I've already said that Dermott might be useful for them, but not exactly the guy I'd be after. The biggest reason why Ekholm is rumored to be on the move is the ExD, and taking Dermott means he's the most likely guy heading to Seattle.

It's not like I'm proposing that Dermott is the centrepiece to the deal. Ekholm is certainly selected by Seattle. Dermott would all depend on what other dmen are available (he wouldn't be a lock).

With Rielly and Muzzin gone last year the Leafs defence was Dermott-Holl, Marincin-Barrie, Sandin-Ceci/Liljegren (Ceci got hurt as well). So despite Josi being better than Rielly, it could be argued that Leafs pair was just as vital to the teams success. All in all, that Dcore was able to split games with Tampa late in the year to keep, and play .500 hockey for 2+ weeks which kept the Leafs ahead of Florida with Dermott and Holl playing 25 min per night (before COVID shut everything down).

If the Leafs went after Ekholm, I'm pretty confident dermott would be in the deal (he's not a 7th dman) and really don't think him being in there would make it a deal breaker.

Dermott, Amirov, 1st for Ekholm (hurts to give up Amirvov) would be a pretty competitive offer, and I doubt what he gets traded for knocks that out of the water.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 8:22 p.m.
What in tarnation
It's not like I'm proposing that Dermott is the centrepiece to the deal. Ekholm is certainly selected by Seattle. Dermott would all depend on what other dmen are available (he wouldn't be a lock).

With Rielly and Muzzin gone last year the Leafs defence was Dermott-Holl, Marincin-Barrie, Sandin-Ceci/Liljegren (Ceci got hurt as well). So despite Josi being better than Rielly, it could be argued that Leafs pair was just as vital to the teams success. All in all, that Dcore was able to split games with Tampa late in the year to keep, and play .500 hockey for 2+ weeks which kept the Leafs ahead of Florida with Dermott and Holl playing 25 min per night (before COVID shut everything down).

If the Leafs went after Ekholm, I'm pretty confident dermott would be in the deal (he's not a 7th dman) and really don't think him being in there would make it a deal breaker.

Dermott, Amirov, 1st for Ekholm (hurts to give up Amirvov) would be a pretty competitive offer, and I doubt what he gets traded for knocks that out of the water.

Honestly Amirov+Dermott+1st for Ekholm is more than fair. I'd still question the need for Preds, but the value is more or less lopsided in Preds favor.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 8:35 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Honestly Amirov+Dermott+1st for Ekholm is more than fair. I'd still question the need for Preds, but the value is more or less lopsided in Preds favor.

Agreed, the problem is the drop-off from Amirov to lets say Hirvonen, is probably too big. And there definitely will be a bidding war for Ekholm.
justaBoss liked this.
Mar. 18, 2021 at 8:37 p.m.
What in tarnation
Agreed, the problem is the drop-off from Amirov to lets say Hirvonen, is probably too big. And there definitely will be a bidding war for Ekholm.

Hirvonen as a piece is probably more interesting than Amirov in terms of position since Preds center depth is atrocious.

You could replace Amirov with Hirvonen and Abruzzese for instance.
Barilko14 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll