Forums/Armchair-GM

If I were KA

Created by: NYR1983
Team: 2021-22 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 24, 2021
Published: Mar. 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So basically fill the roster with contract dumps in exchange for picks which instantly rebuilds a team when you collect them in these quantities. I get that the Eichel trade is 4 superstars short for most on here but it’s actually realistic and what would benefit the rebuilding process more than “knowns” who are just average+. Then, like the stock market I buy low on guys who had high ceilings who just seem to have failed but maybe they haven’t been given the ‘right’ chance to shine and not just be given a handful of games on each line.

Everyone panics with picks because some just don’t work out. That’s just the deal with the draft but NYR had 8 picks in 4 years and they have worked out with the exception of Lias. Late picks?? Pasta was 25.... that being said BUF will have 3 lottery picks in a row that will likely hit and 5 in 22’ which is a deep draft. 2 years of free agency and 3 years of drafting and they will be a playoff team.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
3$1,500,000
3$3,000,000
3$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$4,500,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Bennett, Sam [RFA Rights]
  2. 2022 1st round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. Reinhart, Sam [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Could be done during 2021 season to give CGY that push to playoffs.
BUF
  1. Andersson, Lias [RFA Rights]
LAK
  1. 2023 7th round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Eriksson, Loui
  2. Myers, Tyler
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (VAN)
  4. 2022 1st round pick (VAN)
BUF
  1. Deangelo, Anthony
  2. 2021 1st round pick (NYR)
  3. 2022 1st round pick (NYR)
  4. 2022 2nd round pick (NYR)
  5. 2023 1st round pick (NYR)
  6. 2023 2nd round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
Yes, we all know, cancer....blah blah blah. This roster is meant to tank and to take chances on high ceiling guys. Also added 2 2nds because I can’t add 2024 1st so this is close to equivalent and can just represent the 1st
BUF
  1. Johnson, Tyler
  2. 2022 1st round pick (TBL)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the COL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$65,711,416$113,916$932,500$15,788,584
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,050,000$3,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
RW, LW
RFA - 4
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$889,166$889,166
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
UFA - 4
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
RFA - 3
Taxi Squad
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 24, 2021 at 11:20 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Bennett isn't worth his current contract let alone that one.
Mar. 24, 2021 at 11:21 p.m.
giphy.gif
wojme liked this.
Mar. 24, 2021 at 11:26 p.m.
You’ll get at least two top prospects+++. Whatever else is needed after that
Mar. 24, 2021 at 11:28 p.m.
Quoting: Gmonwy
Bennett isn't worth his current contract let alone that one.

I get the frustration with the players. I just think he needs a change and to be somewhere where he has the chance to crack 1PP. But hey, could just be one of those guys who never workout.. or could be Strome
Mar. 24, 2021 at 11:31 p.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: NYR1983
I get the frustration with the players. I just think he needs a change and to be somewhere where he has the chance to crack 1PP. But hey, could just be one of those guys who never workout.. or could be Strome

Bennett would be a throw in on a Reinhart deal to help with cap, that 1st alone isnt close to being in the ball park, youre missing a prospect at least and they'd have to be an A level prospect to make up the value gap. Not even going to bother with the Rangers deal, you already know its terrible
sabres89 liked this.
Mar. 24, 2021 at 11:41 p.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18
Bennett would be a throw in on a Reinhart deal to help with cap, that 1st alone isnt close to being in the ball park, youre missing a prospect at least and they'd have to be an A level prospect to make up the value gap. Not even going to bother with the Rangers deal, you already know its terrible

Wasn’t sure what the difference would be there for the CGY or what BUF would want so didn’t bother. But I do think he could be a Strome like player who just needs to land somewhere else to find his game. The Rangers trade is essentially chytil, Schneider, Lundkvist, Miller and ADA. Just need to wait the 4-5 years while developing them. While I get that fans want to see an immediate improvement and compete, it’s just not possible to compete with what they have. Better off being 32nd than 26th next season. But that’s my opinion and it’s easier to say when you aren’t a BUF fan.
Mar. 24, 2021 at 11:48 p.m.
Sabres fan
Taking on other teams’ useless cap dumps so you can ice a terrible team for a couple more years and collect high draft choices will also not work. Thanks to the new draft lottery rules taking effect in 2022, The Sabres cannot win the lottery (pick one or two) more than twice in a five year window. Sure we can have a bunch of top-five picks, but are you really prepared to go 15 or more seasons without playoffs? That’s a drought rivaling the Bills. The difference is the Sabres play five times as many games every year.
Shibbal18 liked this.
Mar. 24, 2021 at 11:55 p.m.
Quoting: Tjm220
Taking on other teams’ useless cap dumps so you can ice a terrible team for a couple more years and collect high draft choices will also not work. Thanks to the new draft lottery rules taking effect in 2022, The Sabres cannot win the lottery (pick one or two) more than twice in a five year window. Sure we can have a bunch of top-five picks, but are you really prepared to go 15 or more seasons without playoffs? That’s a drought rivaling the Bills. The difference is the Sabres play five times as many games every year.

So let’s say you win it 2/3 years and because of the rule you’re in 3rd. Now imagine drafting Hughes, Byfield, Stutzle, Chytil, Miller, Lundkvist, +++... all in a 3 year window. You’re seriously going to complain about 3 bad seasons??? Plus all the youth that is currently there and add 1-3 nice signing in Free agency. Put some these names to paper and tell me you don’t like the roster at the end of a 3 year rebuild, not 15.
Mar. 24, 2021 at 11:58 p.m.
Sabres fan
So let’s say you win it 2/3 years and because of the rule you’re in 3rd. Now imagine drafting Hughes, Byfield, Stutzle, Chytil, Miller, Lundkvist, +++... all in a 3 year window. You’re seriously going to complain about 3 bad seasons??? Plus all the youth that is currently there and add 1-3 nice signing in Free agency. Put some these names to paper and tell me you don’t like the roster at the end of a 3 year rebuild, not 15.

Even if you are right the Fanbase has already been dragged through the mud for a decade. If ownership tries to sell them on the idea of another three years of rebuilding I don’t think anybody buys tickets to watch this team play. The pennypinching Pegulas are not going to subscribe to that idea. They bought Taylor Hall to try and be competitive this year and it didn’t work at all. Quick and easy fixes may not work, but they have put themselves in such a bind that they cannot afford to wait any longer to be at least competitive and watchable.
Mar. 25, 2021 at 12:03 a.m.
Even if you are right the Fanbase has already been dragged through the mud for a decade. If ownership tries to sell them on the idea of another three years of rebuilding I don’t think anybody buys tickets to watch this team play. The pennypinching Pegulas are not going to subscribe to that idea. They bought Taylor Hall to try and be competitive this year and it didn’t work at all. Quick and easy fixes may not work, but they have put themselves in such a bind that they cannot afford to wait any longer to be at least competitive and watchable.

Well, they may sell less tickets but you’re not going anywhere. Think you become a rangers fan if this happens, nah, the fans base will be upset at first and will eventually get it and come around to it. The leafs went through their rebuild after sucking for so long and still raise ticket prices. People talk a big game but at the end they cave.
Mar. 25, 2021 at 12:06 a.m.
Roster Architect
Neil Smith was GM of the Islanders in 2006 and was fired less than 6 weeks into the job: that may be the quickest GM firing I can think of. But you saying "If I were Kevyn Adams" and then making these moves, you'd be fired quicker than Neil Smith was.
Mar. 25, 2021 at 12:10 a.m.
Quoting: Hockey_Nerd
Neil Smith was GM of the Islanders in 2006 and was fired less than 6 weeks into the job: that may be the quickest GM firing I can think of. But you saying "If I were Kevyn Adams" and then making these moves, you'd be fired quicker than Neil Smith was.

Maybe you can shed light on why you think that. Making outlandish statements is all well and good but how about adding some of that wisdom a hockey nerd should have.
Mar. 25, 2021 at 12:10 a.m.
Log off the internet
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d3/90/d9/d390d97cfce469e6c550858475374cdb.jpg
TrueCanuck liked this.
Mar. 25, 2021 at 12:11 a.m.
Sabres fan
Well, they may sell less tickets but you’re not going anywhere. Think you become a rangers fan if this happens, nah, the fans base will be upset at first and will eventually get it and come around to it. The leafs went through their rebuild after sucking for so long and still raise ticket prices. People talk a big game but at the end they cave.

Perhaps. But I have already started to notice the fan base of hard-core hockey fans is actually becoming apathetic. Some thing that Buffalo as a sports town does not do. It took 10 years of ridiculous, terrible management and hockey to happen, but it has. In Buffalo when the teams are good life is good. When they suck it bothers you for days when they lose, and it’s just not fun to watch at all. Buffalo is the number one hockey viewing market in the United States, at least in terms of TV ratings. We watch hockey all the time, and it doesn’t matter who’s playing. So for many Sabres fans to simply not tune in and watch this team continuously lose badly is really saying something. In other cities they love their teams too, but I don’t think it bothers them as much when their teams aren’t very good. I don’t know if they dwell on individual losses for a day or two, or half the week during football season. They just find something else to do. In Buffalo that was never really the case, but it seems to be now. Turning Buffalo’s hard-core fans into everybody else is the travesty that this management group should never have been capable of, and yet there it is.
Mar. 25, 2021 at 12:18 a.m.
Roster Architect
Maybe you can shed light on why you think that. Making outlandish statements is all well and good but how about adding some of that wisdom a hockey nerd should have.

Thought it was pretty obvious that these trades are horrible for Buffalo. Bennett could likely be had for a 2nd round pick at most or maybe a prospect that needs a change of scenery, and you think trading Reinhart is a good idea for that? Then you want LA to basically just give you a guy that they just traded a 2nd round pick for?
Then idk what you're doing in the Vancouver trade. Taking in 1 bad contract like Eriksson usually gets you something good like a 1st and a prospect, but you wanna take on multiple bad contracts and only get 2 picks in return? That's not how you take on cap properly. The Eichel trade to LA is just brutal. You sell your best player for a locker room cancer who's just gonna year down the fan base more, and for picks that are maybe 3-5 years away from maybe making an impact? That has a GM signing a death warrant immediately written all over it. & finally Tampa made it clear that they weren't paying that much to move Johnson last off-season, so why would they do it this year when there's a good chance he's taken by Seattle for free or less than that?

It's not about "wisdom a hockey nerd should have", it's about having some common sense to building a roster and selling it to a fan base that wants nothing to do with it right now. After moves like this you'd be lucky to have any fans show up, and eventually force the team to move right out of Buffalo. Comeon' now man.
Mar. 25, 2021 at 12:18 a.m.
Perhaps. But I have already started to notice the fan base of hard-core hockey fans is actually becoming apathetic. Some thing that Buffalo as a sports town does not do. It took 10 years of ridiculous, terrible management and hockey to happen, but it has. In Buffalo when the teams are good life is good. When they suck it bothers you for days when they lose, and it’s just not fun to watch at all. Buffalo is the number one hockey viewing market in the United States, at least in terms of TV ratings. We watch hockey all the time, and it doesn’t matter who’s playing. So for many Sabres fans to simply not tune in and watch this team continuously lose badly is really saying something. In other cities they love their teams too, but I don’t think it bothers them as much when their teams aren’t very good. I don’t know if they dwell on individual losses for a day or two, or half the week during football season. They just find something else to do. In Buffalo that was never really the case, but it seems to be now. Turning Buffalo’s hard-core fans into everybody else is the travesty that this management group should never have been capable of, and yet there it is.

I guess the thing is.. they added Hall and expected a non playoff team to dramatically change. They will do this again next year, the year after, and again. Not dramatic change will occur, the current assets loves value and poof goes the next 5 years with no hope. What I did, sure it’s disheartening to know how bad they will be, like DET bad, but in 3 years there will be light. In 6 there could be a cup. But no one sees that in their current state.
Mar. 25, 2021 at 12:23 a.m.
Thought it was pretty obvious that these trades are horrible for Buffalo. Bennett could likely be had for a 2nd round pick at most or maybe a prospect that needs a change of scenery, and you think trading Reinhart is a good idea for that? Then you want LA to basically just give you a guy that they just traded a 2nd round pick for?
Then idk what you're doing in the Vancouver trade. Taking in 1 bad contract like Eriksson usually gets you something good like a 1st and a prospect, but you wanna take on multiple bad contracts and only get 2 picks in return? That's not how you take on cap properly. The Eichel trade to LA is just brutal. You sell your best player for a locker room cancer who's just gonna year down the fan base more, and for picks that are maybe 3-5 years away from maybe making an impact? That has a GM signing a death warrant immediately written all over it. & finally Tampa made it clear that they weren't paying that much to move Johnson last off-season, so why would they do it this year when there's a good chance he's taken by Seattle for free or less than that?

It's not about "wisdom a hockey nerd should have", it's about having some common sense to building a roster and selling it to a fan base that wants nothing to do with it right now. After moves like this you'd be lucky to have any fans show up, and eventually force the team to move right out of Buffalo. Comeon' now man.

Before I continue reading all of this. You essentially state that I traded Reinhart for Bennett who is maybe worth a 2nd.. leaving out the 1st which should be 10-15OA in a deep draft conveniently. Ya, I get why you make outlandish comments like a troller on his fresh account. 👌🏼
Mar. 25, 2021 at 12:28 a.m.

So read the rest and it’s par for the course..

Louie doesn’t bring in what you’re saying, Staal was a 2nd at a higher price tag smh, common sense right??

Lias has been a bust, I put down a 7th for his rights. He isn’t even under contract. If you want to suggest a 5th then by all means add some intellectual input.

I don’t need to continue to tear your analysis apart anymore.
Mar. 25, 2021 at 8:43 a.m.
Roster Architect
Before I continue reading all of this. You essentially state that I traded Reinhart for Bennett who is maybe worth a 2nd.. leaving out the 1st which should be 10-15OA in a deep draft conveniently. Ya, I get why you make outlandish comments like a troller on his fresh account. 👌🏼

Wow, I guess I can't argue with stupid. But sure, believe your trades make sense when everyone else tell you they don't. 👌🏻😂
Mar. 25, 2021 at 9:06 a.m.
horrible eichel trade

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll