Forums/NHL Trades

(BUF/MTL) - Staal for 2021 3rd and 5th RD picks

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 26, 2021 at 9:52 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Brian2016
Danault and Drouin are each on pace for 5G in an 82 game season. They might put up 2nd line assists, but those goal totals aren't even suitable for Buffalo's 2nd line.

Neither are goal scorers. Are you seriously arguing that Danault and Drouin are 3rd liners? Drouin is tied in 33rd in the NHL in assists (tied in 21st among forwards) and Danault is a Selke candidate 2-way centre.

If you’re only evaluating players by goals scored, then Nicklas Hjalmarsson must be one of the worst players in NHL history.
Mar. 26, 2021 at 10:04 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Montreal fleeced the Sabres.

Yeah I don't know about that ....
Brian2016 liked this.
Mar. 26, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Danault is a Selke candidate 2-way centre.

Yeah I don't know about that ....
Brian2016 liked this.
Mar. 26, 2021 at 10:25 p.m.
Quoting: Capitalfail67
i lol when people are referring to him as "depth" or 4th line center. he had 47 points last year in 66 games and the year before that he had 52 in 81. to be clear last year he would have been tied for 2nd in points on the Habs... its weird people think his play in Buffalo completely diminishes his value. Staal right now is good enough to be a 2-3c on most NHL team...great add for the Habs. no brainer for that price

Spoken like someone who hasn't watched him play the last 2 years.
Brian2016 liked this.
Mar. 26, 2021 at 10:28 p.m.
Montreal fleeced the Sabres, but i guess they took the best offer since he wasn't coming back but real winner is Eric Staal for getting out of the H*llhole that,s Buffalo

Fleeced? He's a 36 year old center with 3 goals. He's incredibly slow at this stage of his career, and should only be playing a limited amount of minutes. What did you expect him to get lmao? A mid 3rd round pick / 5th is very fair value.
Brian2016 and CLR liked this.
Mar. 26, 2021 at 10:57 p.m.
Banned
he got a 5th more than I thought he'd get if anyone wanted him at all.
He's old and slow. I don't really think he'll fit what MTL wants to do but that's their mess to figure out
Mar. 26, 2021 at 11:14 p.m.
fair trade
buffalo needs to just add as many picks as they can
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 27, 2021 at 12:31 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Neither are goal scorers. Are you seriously arguing that Danault and Drouin are 3rd liners? Drouin is tied in 33rd in the NHL in assists (tied in 21st among forwards) and Danault is a Selke candidate 2-way centre.

If you’re only evaluating players by goals scored, then Nicklas Hjalmarsson must be one of the worst players in NHL history.

Drouin doesn't score goals b/c he can't score goals. You're acting like it's a choice. He's got 2G this season b/c when he shoots the puck it never goes in haha. The same can be said for Danault, who also has 2G but at least he's good defensively. Armia's numbers speak for themselves. He's bottom six on 90% of the teams in the NHL.
Mar. 27, 2021 at 8:12 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Brian2016
Drouin doesn't score goals b/c he can't score goals. You're acting like it's a choice. He's got 2G this season b/c when he shoots the puck it never goes in haha. The same can be said for Danault, who also has 2G but at least he's good defensively. Armia's numbers speak for themselves. He's bottom six on 90% of the teams in the NHL.

Have you read anything I wrote? I’m not arguing that they’re good because they will score goals, I’m arguing they’re good because they do other things than score goals. And of course Armia’s a 3rd line forward. But I’d say the guy on pace for 49 goals on the other wing balances it out.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 27, 2021 at 11:43 a.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: LindyRuffRider
Spoken like someone who hasn't watched him play the last 2 years.

lol yeah you're right Staal sucks.... clearly just a terrible player. what was i thinking. He was a 50 point (or 50 point pace) player before this year BUT i clearly havent watched him play so i assume hes one of a f ew NHL players that suck but can score 50 points on an average at best Wild team. Cant believe i thought he was good oh man how embarrassing
Tarlam01 liked this.
Mar. 27, 2021 at 8:05 p.m.
lol yeah you're right Staal sucks.... clearly just a terrible player. what was i thinking. He was a 50 point (or 50 point pace) player before this year BUT i clearly havent watched him play so i assume hes one of a f ew NHL players that suck but can score 50 points on an average at best Wild team. Cant believe i thought he was good oh man how embarrassing

Yea not even close to what I said. He's extremely slowed down. Ask any Wild fan or Sabres fan. You're looking at his hockeydb page and that's it. Points are by large a product of usage & PP time. Staal at this stage of his career, is a 4C on a playoff team. Putting him at 2C is a complete recipe for disaster. Try watching him play.
Mar. 27, 2021 at 8:11 p.m.
Yea not even close to what I said. He's extremely slowed down. Ask any Wild fan or Sabres fan. You're looking at his hockeydb page and that's it. Points are by large a product of usage & PP time. Staal at this stage of his career, is a 4C on a playoff team. Putting him at 2C is a complete recipe for disaster. Try watching him play.

Who said Staal was going to be 2c in Montreal, he’ll be a 3rd/4th line for us albeit a good one
Mar. 27, 2021 at 9:40 p.m.
Caps fan idk why

Staal
47 points in 66game. 14 were on the power play that’s roughly 30%.

Mcdavid
97 points in 64 games 43 were on the power play that’s roughly 44%

Mcdavid must suck also...he relies 14% more on power play for his points.

Again Staal is maybe slowing down but he’s still a solid player.... 😊. Looking at him as “spare parts” would be a mistake
Mar. 27, 2021 at 9:40 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Who said Staal was going to be 2c in Montreal, he’ll be a 3rd/4th line for us albeit a good one

I said “ Staal right now is good enough to be a 2-3c on most NHL team” he disagreed. I’m more or less basing his stats off last year and the year prior.
Mar. 27, 2021 at 10:53 p.m.

The guy I literally replied to. He said he's good enough to be a 2C on most NHL teams.
Mar. 27, 2021 at 11:09 p.m.
Staal
47 points in 66game. 14 were on the power play that’s roughly 30%.

Mcdavid
97 points in 64 games 43 were on the power play that’s roughly 44%

Mcdavid must suck also...he relies 14% more on power play for his points.

Again Staal is maybe slowing down but he’s still a solid player.... 😊. Looking at him as “spare parts” would be a mistake

Dude what? Wtf does McDavid have to do with anything i said lmao? I said points are by large a product of usage and PP time. That's not even arguable. That's why using them to say a player is good because he had 50 points on a bad team is so silly. Put any player in the top 6 and give them PP time and they can put up 40-50 points in a season. Sabres have done it numerous times with guys like Okposo, Ennis, Moulson, Hodgson etc.. That's why Skinner had a massive drop in points when he was given a bottom 6 role / no PP, despite playing decently well.

Staal's last two years in Minnesota weren't good. Ask any Wild fan that. He was declining fast. His optimal role is a bottom 6 C now. He'll do decent in that role for MTL, but he's no where close to a 2C guy anymore. You have to look at more than points to evaluate players.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 3:43 a.m.
WentWughes
The guy I literally replied to. He said he's good enough to be a 2C on most NHL teams.

He was a 2C when he was on Minnesota. Who knows what he is now.
Capitalfail67 liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 6:51 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
He was a 2C when he was on Minnesota. Who knows what he is now.

I said he is good enough to be a 2-3c on most NHL teams.... just correcting what he said
Mar. 28, 2021 at 6:56 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Dude what? Wtf does McDavid have to do with anything i said lmao? I said points are by large a product of usage and PP time. That's not even arguable. That's why using them to say a player is good because he had 50 points on a bad team is so silly. Put any player in the top 6 and give them PP time and they can put up 40-50 points in a season. Sabres have done it numerous times with guys like Okposo, Ennis, Moulson, Hodgson etc.. That's why Skinner had a massive drop in points when he was given a bottom 6 role / no PP, despite playing decently well.

Staal's last two years in Minnesota weren't good. Ask any Wild fan that. He was declining fast. His optimal role is a bottom 6 C now. He'll do decent in that role for MTL, but he's no where close to a 2C guy anymore. You have to look at more than points to evaluate players.

I mean you said his point total was so high bc of “usage” and “power play”... tbh I don’t feel like arguing this. It’s idiotic to say a 50 point player isn’t good lol. Put a player in the top 6 and he’ll score 50 w pp time? Lol solid I’ll just toss Hathaway w Ovechkin and remove Oshie from the power play and he should be able to score 50! Right? Dumb AF lol
Mar. 28, 2021 at 8:56 p.m.
I mean you said his point total was so high bc of “usage” and “power play”... tbh I don’t feel like arguing this. It’s idiotic to say a 50 point player isn’t good lol. Put a player in the top 6 and he’ll score 50 w pp time? Lol solid I’ll just toss Hathaway w Ovechkin and remove Oshie from the power play and he should be able to score 50! Right? Dumb AF lol

His point total wasn't high? He had 50 points on a bad team? That's high to you?

Like do you think Ristolainen is the greatest defenceman of all time because he puts up 40+ points in a season?

" Put a player in the top 6 and he’ll score 50 w pp time? Lol solid I’ll just toss Hathaway w Ovechkin and remove Oshie from the power play and he should be able to score 50! Right?

Yes that is pretty obvious. You could put any dude playing on Ovi's line and on the PP with him and they'd rack up points. Doesn't mean they're good though. Sheary had 53 pts in 61 games when they did the same thing with Crosby lmao.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 2:46 a.m.
Caps fan idk why
His point total wasn't high? He had 50 points on a bad team? That's high to you?

Like do you think Ristolainen is the greatest defenceman of all time because he puts up 40+ points in a season?

" Put a player in the top 6 and he’ll score 50 w pp time? Lol solid I’ll just toss Hathaway w Ovechkin and remove Oshie from the power play and he should be able to score 50! Right?

Yes that is pretty obvious. You could put any dude playing on Ovi's line and on the PP with him and they'd rack up points. Doesn't mean they're good though. Sheary had 53 pts in 61 games when they did the same thing with Crosby lmao.

Who on the wild is Crosby caliber? Lmfao dumb AF. 50 points is pretty solid. Kapanen got the 15oa and a solid prospect and he never scored 50! Points playing w Mathews and Tavares. Lol leafs should have gave him more PP time. Oh didn’t realize we are going by career years. Staal had 100 points ... not surprised you made another stupid comment....You are really good at it. I also lmfao that you think Hathaway would be able to keep up with Ovi to score...

Staal 2016-2020
65 point
76point
52points
47points (66games)

Lmfao you compared him to Sheary and Risto having one good year. “PoInTs DoNt MaTtEr” last year Larkin had 53 points on the wings. He must suck also. So does Mantha. Hab only Tatar had more than Staal last year they all suck also... I can keep going but you get the point
Mar. 30, 2021 at 2:09 a.m.
Who on the wild is Crosby caliber? Lmfao dumb AF. 50 points is pretty solid. Kapanen got the 15oa and a solid prospect and he never scored 50! Points playing w Mathews and Tavares. Lol leafs should have gave him more PP time. Oh didn’t realize we are going by career years. Staal had 100 points ... not surprised you made another stupid comment....You are really good at it. I also lmfao that you think Hathaway would be able to keep up with Ovi to score...

Staal 2016-2020
65 point
76point
52points
47points (66games)

Lmfao you compared him to Sheary and Risto having one good year. “PoInTs DoNt MaTtEr” last year Larkin had 53 points on the wings. He must suck also. So does Mantha. Hab only Tatar had more than Staal last year they all suck also... I can keep going but you get the point

Dude your reading comprehension is horrible. It was to show that points don't mean much when evaluating a player. Like jesus it's not that hard to understand. Staal has been on a stark decline the last 2 years. Anyone with a brain can see that. Just because he had 52 points in 80 games and 47 points in 66 games doesn't tell me much.

And he had 100 points 15 years ago lmao. We're talking about 36 year old Staal not 21 year old Staal lmao.

> Lmfao you compared him to Sheary and Risto having one good year. “PoInTs DoNt MaTtEr” last year Larkin had 53 points on the wings. He must suck also. So does Mantha. Hab only Tatar had more than Staal last year they all suck also... I can keep going but you get the point

Good thing we can look at their underlying numbers too, which is my whole point dummy. There's so much more than points to evaluating a player. It's not, "LoOk StAaL GoT 50 PoInT mE tHiNk He 2C".
Mar. 30, 2021 at 11:03 a.m.
Caps fan idk why
Dude your reading comprehension is horrible. It was to show that points don't mean much when evaluating a player. Like jesus it's not that hard to understand. Staal has been on a stark decline the last 2 years. Anyone with a brain can see that. Just because he had 52 points in 80 games and 47 points in 66 games doesn't tell me much.

And he had 100 points 15 years ago lmao. We're talking about 36 year old Staal not 21 year old Staal lmao.

> Lmfao you compared him to Sheary and Risto having one good year. “PoInTs DoNt MaTtEr” last year Larkin had 53 points on the wings. He must suck also. So does Mantha. Hab only Tatar had more than Staal last year they all suck also... I can keep going but you get the point

Good thing we can look at their underlying numbers too, which is my whole point dummy. There's so much more than points to evaluating a player. It's not, "LoOk StAaL GoT 50 PoInT mE tHiNk He 2C".

i said hes a 2 OR 3 c on most NHL teams.... you keep focusing on the 2c which is only half of what i actually said.

"Dude your reading comprehension is horrible. It was to show that points don't mean much when evaluating a player. Like jesus it's not that hard to understand. Staal has been on a stark decline the last 2 years. Anyone with a brain can see that. Just because he had 52 points in 80 games and 47 points in 66 games doesn't tell me much."

buddy name ONE name ONE!!! 3c that had 47 points last year? Points dont mean much? so a guy that scores 120 points and a g uy that scores 40 points are on equal playing grounds since points dont matter....? lmfao there are other factors but my main point is that 47 points is great for bottom 6 players and even solid for most 2c in the NHL. stop being stupid its not that hard to understand the value in points lol

"Me No LiKe PoInTs... Me tHiNk ShEaRy w CrOsBy Is ThE sAmE aS sTaAl On ThE wIlD" underlying numbers are important but points are just as important.. not rocket science
Saskleaf and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Mar. 31, 2021 at 6:56 a.m.
i said hes a 2 OR 3 c on most NHL teams.... you keep focusing on the 2c which is only half of what i actually said.

"Dude your reading comprehension is horrible. It was to show that points don't mean much when evaluating a player. Like jesus it's not that hard to understand. Staal has been on a stark decline the last 2 years. Anyone with a brain can see that. Just because he had 52 points in 80 games and 47 points in 66 games doesn't tell me much."

buddy name ONE name ONE!!! 3c that had 47 points last year? Points dont mean much? so a guy that scores 120 points and a g uy that scores 40 points are on equal playing grounds since points dont matter....? lmfao there are other factors but my main point is that 47 points is great for bottom 6 players and even solid for most 2c in the NHL. stop being stupid its not that hard to understand the value in points lol

"Me No LiKe PoInTs... Me tHiNk ShEaRy w CrOsBy Is ThE sAmE aS sTaAl On ThE wIlD" underlying numbers are important but points are just as important.. not rocket science

> i said hes a 2 OR 3 c on most NHL teams.... you keep focusing on the 2c which is only half of what i actually said.

You said 2C...and you are completely wrong. You could've said 3C/4C but you didn't.

> buddy name ONE name ONE!!! 3c that had 47 points last year? Points dont mean much? so a guy that scores 120 points and a g uy that scores 40 points are on equal playing grounds since points dont matter....? lmfao there are other factors but my main point is that 47 points is great for bottom 6 players and even solid for most 2c in the NHL. stop being stupid its not that hard to understand the value in points lol

Staal was playing on the 1st PP, the 1st line, and playing 17 minutes a game. What 3C is getting that kind of usage? What a horrible counter lmao. Didn't really think about that one did ya?

> so a guy that scores 120 points and a g uy that scores 40 points are on equal playing grounds since points dont matter

Amazing how you got "a guy that scores 120 points and a g uy that scores 40 points are on equal playing grounds" out of me saying points don't mean much when evaluating a player. Your whole argument is how many points Staal has and that's it. You literally ignore everything else. Now all you do is straw man because your argument is garbage and so is your hockey IQ.

> 47 points is great for bottom 6 players

Backpedaling hard. I literally called him a bottom 6 guy and you got triggered. Now you're calling him one LMAO.

> "Me No LiKe PoInTs... Me tHiNk ShEaRy w CrOsBy Is ThE sAmE aS sTaAl On ThE wIlD" underlying numbers are important but points are just as important.. not rocket science

No points aren't as important. Look up empty calorie points. Just because you're getting "points" doesn't mean you're doing much to help your team. You can be piling up meaningless secondary assists while being a complete negative to your team. Try using your brain for once.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit