SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Cole Caufield (3 Years / $1,308,333 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 28, 2021 at 1:51 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: aadoyle
Now lets see if hes the next Debrincat

gonna be interesting to watch as in general I like the tone Dubas and Bergevin are setting whereby it does not matter the size of the player its how well they perform

till it's playoff time and the other team decides to use his face to mop up the ice.

midget wingers have a strong correlation to fan bases crying their team needs more size.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 3:41 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Wqrrior
My fandom is irrelevant. As a fan of hockey as a whole, I just think Montreal fans and media have blown the Caufield situation out of proportion. Sure, he can dominate the college game, but how will it translate? How many past Hobey Baker winners have become just average third liners? I see Cole as more of a Mike Hoffman comparable (someone who can finish a play on the powerplay, but useless 5v5) than some of the other comparable I've seen. Coming from a fanbase that overhyped the crap out of Romanov too, I couldn't believe a word of what Habs media says.

Romanov's first North American season and I'd say he's done exactly what we thought he would do.

Weren't you the one who said that Lehtonen was going to quickly show that he was a 1st pairing defender? (You can look at that thread and see the Homer Laugh fans)

I also argued with Leaf fans about Robertson not going to the WJC because he was a "top 6 forward" right now.

I'm not sure how you can actually say Habs fans overvalue their prospects when every single Leafs player is a franchise potential player to them
Mar. 28, 2021 at 3:42 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: pharrow
till it's playoff time and the other team decides to use his face to mop up the ice.

midget wingers have a strong correlation to fan bases crying their team needs more size.

Good thing we have Anderson (and Romanov Lowkey) to **** them up when they try.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 6:23 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

And Edmundson/Chiarot/Perry
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 8:20 a.m.
As a Sens fan, I can't wait til he meets Brady Tkachuk
CEO and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 9:45 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Wow, the amount of hate for the habs is ridiculous here. Can fans not be excited for a prospect? No one was arguing about how good Zegras was when he signed. And yet when obvious steals like Caufield, Romanov, & Höglander are signed, people start whining about how bad they are, just because they dislike the team or have a problem with the media. If you don’t like the media, don’t listen to/read it then. Yeah, I’m not a fan of the Leafs, but you’d never see me saying that Nick Robertson is a bust when he’s clearly a steal.

No one here is saying exactly what he’s going to do in the NHL, just that they’re excited to see Caufield play.

And no, Nick Robertson does not suck, so can everyone please stop trying to stir the pot and create more argument.
Remus, A_Habs_fan, Blazingbat11 and 5 others liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 9:51 a.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
As a Sens fan, I can't wait til he meets Brady Tkachuk

Has Brady Tkachuk been beaten in a fight by Ben Chiarot yet?
Mar. 28, 2021 at 9:59 a.m.
25th coming up
It begins
CEO liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 10:20 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: aadoyle
Now lets see if hes the next Debrincat

gonna be interesting to watch as in general I like the tone Dubas and Bergevin are setting whereby it does not matter the size of the player its how well they perform

The Leafs vs. Habs rivalry is going to be fun time over the next few years. (Well at least for neutral observers)
Mar. 28, 2021 at 11:49 a.m.
The only man Gretzky fears...
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 12:38 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
There is so much hype being built up here I can just see the soul sucking capfriendly vampires ready to pounce tears of joy
They're licking their chops.

I'm pretty sure it's a fake mocking hype (outside of a few Montreal fans who hype the crap out of all their prospects).

He's definitely not a top-10 NHL prospect and I think most people know that.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 12:52 p.m.
Romanov's first North American season and I'd say he's done exactly what we thought he would do.

Weren't you the one who said that Lehtonen was going to quickly show that he was a 1st pairing defender? (You can look at that thread and see the Homer Laugh fans)

I also argued with Leaf fans about Robertson not going to the WJC because he was a "top 6 forward" right now.

I'm not sure how you can actually say Habs fans overvalue their prospects when every single Leafs player is a franchise potential player to them

I'm a canucks fan? Why are you so convinced I'm part of Leafs fandom? IMO, Habs fans overvalue their players even more than leafs fans, though.
Oley49 liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 12:54 p.m.
Banned

that isn't going to stop them.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 1:10 p.m.
Edited Mar. 28, 2021 at 11:01 p.m.

Yea man he's an absolute superstar just like you all said ...
The truth? He's a 5th/6th defensemen at the moment but I'm sure he'll improve.

Robertson is a point per game player in the AHL right now and he just turned 18 ...
The truth? That translates to about 50 points per 82 NHL games in the statistical models (of equivalent point totals between leagues).
Obviously the models aren't perfect ... but if he fell within his expected NHL point range than he's already producing like a top-6 forward.
However, there's no point in burning a year off his contract just to bench one of your 8 veteran wingers:

1. Nylander
2. Marner
3. Hyman
4. Mikheyev
5. Simmonds
6. Spezza
7. Thornton
8. Galchenyuk

That's just rude dawg.

Plus: Joey Anderson + Denis Malgin + Nick Petan want back in the NHL.
Plus: Jimmy Vesey + Travis Boyd were on the team until last week.
Wqrrior and Oley49 liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 2:47 p.m.
I voted no because the 1st year will be erased without any team value. Which makes this ELC only a 2 year contract.
Wqrrior liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 3:51 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Wow, the amount of hate for the habs is ridiculous here. Can fans not be excited for a prospect? No one was arguing about how good Zegras was when he signed. And yet when obvious steals like Caufield, Romanov, & Höglander are signed, people start whining about how bad they are, just because they dislike the team or have a problem with the media. If you don’t like the media, don’t listen to/read it then. Yeah, I’m not a fan of the Leafs, but you’d never see me saying that Nick Robertson is a bust when he’s clearly a steal.

No one here is saying exactly what he’s going to do in the NHL, just that they’re excited to see Caufield play.

And no, Nick Robertson does not suck, so can everyone please stop trying to stir the pot and create more argument.

Leafs fans are taking their shots back it appears.

I clearly have my stance on Caufield, but I am still neutral in regards to MTL / TOR. Both fandoms have acted similarly. Leafs fans have taken the verbal hit for acting a certain way, now I see them pushing back and now suddenly it's offensive.

In an ideal world, everyone would take a player for what they are, appreciate their skill, run with excitement. Unfortunately that's not what this website is, and it appears to be intense criticality towards every move. People trying to be analysts when they are far from it.

Still, if its fair game to talk about Robertson and his hype being out of proportion, why is it not fair game to call out the Caufield hype train? Every other player on here will be critiqued at one point in their careers, why is he the one exception?
Oley49 liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 4:22 p.m.
Western Champs
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
I voted no because the 1st year will be erased without any team value. Which makes this ELC only a 2 year contract.

NCAA players have an edge in negotiations
Mar. 28, 2021 at 4:45 p.m.
bergevin work start paying off in the AHL...lets see how far they go with caufield
Mar. 28, 2021 at 6:37 p.m.
Canes fan
The 3 people who said this wasn't a good signing must not follow hockey.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 10:25 p.m.
Voice of unreason
Same reason that Caufields already a bust according to 90% of Leaf fans on Twitter

Leafs fans are idiots... lol
And I'm a Leafs fan.

Caufield is obviously an awesome prospect.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 10:54 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: treemos27
Leafs fans are idiots... lol
And I'm a Leafs fan.

Caufield is obviously an awesome prospect.

You don't get brownie points for sucking up to Habs fans.

Seems like a lot of people can't handle banter.
Wqrrior liked this.
Mar. 28, 2021 at 11:47 p.m.
Quoting: Dzinger18
The 3 people who said this wasn't a good signing must not follow hockey.

I wasn't one of them, however I think from what I can tell from past signings, people say "bad signing" if it burns a year of ELC. They might be voting in regards to that?
Mar. 29, 2021 at 6:08 a.m.
Quoting: Wqrrior
I wasn't one of them, however I think from what I can tell from past signings, people say "bad signing" if it burns a year of ELC. They might be voting in regards to that?

Except burning a year of ELC could be good if he plays in the NHL this year or he gets a cheaper contract when this expires since he’ll have less NHL experience
Mar. 29, 2021 at 3:27 p.m.
J. Toller
To the 4 people who said no explain yourself while I question your existence
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 31, 2021 at 4:49 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15

Jealousy, my friend. Jealousy.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit