SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New York Islanders

ThIs Is OuR yEaR

Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:15 p.m.
2-3-2 vs Penguins
0-3-0 vs Caps
2-1-2 vs Flyers
5-0-0 vs Bruins

At the very best, this is a 2nd round exit.

No. No it is not our year. There is exactly one team in the playoff picture we have played that we have a positive point percentage against. I hate to say it, but we WERE boosted by playing two awful teams so many times in a row. Throwing away assets for a rental is the dumbest thing we can do right now. I don’t want to hear about how these games were all close or about deep stats. If you’re consistently losing to the teams you’re GOING to play in the playoffs, that’s a gigantic red flag.

Our prospects had great years. Keep giving them ice time. Let Leddy or Bailey go in the Expansion Draft, then use our picks this draft to get the best guys we can get. I could see us using some of our second rounders to trade up in the draft, or trading our 1st and 2nds for a roster player from a desperate to rebuild team.

But you’re delusional if you see this team winning the Cup. Even with Hall and/or Palmieri. Largely because other contenders will also add. I love my Isles and I think the promised land is in our future, but not this year.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:17 p.m.
Isles7
They're losing these games because of trotz.
pharrow liked this.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:20 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Isles777

he's a horrible coach. He always has been, he always will be.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:21 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: pharrow
he's a horrible coach. He always has been, he always will be.

there's a reason he's only made it past the 2nd rd 3x in his career. His loyalty to veteran grinders holds back his teams.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:23 p.m.
This is our year
Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:34 p.m.

I disagree with that. Not sure many coaches could get this much out of our roster. The sum of this team's parts are impressive, but this team has one or two impressive individuals (Barzal, Pulock, arguably the young guys, we'll see).

But whatever the cause, we should not be going for it this year. It's just dumb if we're going to be playing our future playoff opponents as poorly as we are. Not saying we should throw the season, but we should hold on to our picks, or at least trade them for new roster players who'll be around next year.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:37 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: Hawkisles
I disagree with that. Not sure many coaches could get this much out of our roster. The sum of this team's parts are impressive, but this team has one or two impressive individuals (Barzal, Pulock, arguably the young guys, we'll see).

But whatever the cause, we should not be going for it this year. It's just dumb if we're going to be playing our future playoff opponents as poorly as we are. Not saying we should throw the season, but we should hold on to our picks, or at least trade them for new roster players who'll be around next year.

That is a such a BS excuse. They actually have talented players, theyre just not household names. Trotz has cost the isles 5-6 games this season because he relies on guys like komarov and Johnston. If they would have dressed czarnik and bellows over those 2 plugs, they would have easily won tonight.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:38 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
GET PALMIERI
Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:39 p.m.
Isles7

Pelech has been a top 10 D in the league this season. Is trotz system that stifles offense the reason why pelech is one of the best offensive play drivers (among D) in the NHL?

Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:50 p.m.
That is a such a BS excuse. They actually have talented players, theyre just not household names. Trotz has cost the isles 5-6 games this season because he relies on guys like komarov and Johnston. If they would have dressed czarnik and bellows over those 2 plugs, they would have easily won tonight.

I'm not talking about talented players like Nelson, Lee, Beauvillier, Pageau, we have plenty of guys who are good at what they do. I'm talking about, as you say, household names. Cup winners have multiple elite players. Not guys having a good year like Pelech, guys who are almost always elite. Kane/Toews/Keith, Ovechkin/Backstrom/Carlson, Crosby/Malkin/Letang, Stamkos/Kucherov/Point/Hedman. The Isles have Barzal, and that's basically it. What I've seen this season convinces me that at least one, maybe all three, of Wahlstrom, Dobson and Sorokin will become that Elite core to surround Barzal. We'll get there, but 'til then, I don't want us to throw away high picks. You make big moves when you're already a frontrunners, and at this point, we're dark horses.

Though I do agree Trotz' roster choices are extremely questionable. Komarov needs to stay on Taxi Squad, he's just too slow and generates far too little offense. I kinda get why Bellows isn't playing a whole ton given expansion draft considerations, but Czarnik should still get the nod over Komarov anyways.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:51 p.m.
Quoting: Devil1122
GET PALMIERI

If Lou can get him to sign after the trade a la Pageau, sure, let's get Palmieri. I like his game, I think he'd fit and his age isn't a gigantic concern. Otherwise, I see it as pissing away picks. Our prospect system is shallow enough as is.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:55 p.m.
Isles7
I'm not talking about talented players like Nelson, Lee, Beauvillier, Pageau, we have plenty of guys who are good at what they do. I'm talking about, as you say, household names. Cup winners have multiple elite players. Not guys having a good year like Pelech, guys who are almost always elite. Kane/Toews/Keith, Ovechkin/Backstrom/Carlson, Crosby/Malkin/Letang, Stamkos/Kucherov/Point/Hedman. The Isles have Barzal, and that's basically it. What I've seen this season convinces me that at least one, maybe all three, of Wahlstrom, Dobson and Sorokin will become that Elite core to surround Barzal. We'll get there, but 'til then, I don't want us to throw away high picks. You make big moves when you're already a frontrunners, and at this point, we're dark horses.

Though I do agree Trotz' roster choices are extremely questionable. Komarov needs to stay on Taxi Squad, he's just too slow and generates far too little offense. I kinda get why Bellows isn't playing a whole ton given expansion draft considerations, but Czarnik should still get the nod over Komarov anyways.

household names doesn't mean they're elite. Theyre just household names. Pelech is not just having a good year, he is in the Norris conversation. The isles currently have 4 stars - pelech, Pulock, barzal, and varlamov. Pelech-pulock are the #1 D pair in the NHL - they lead all D pairs in almost every advanced metric.

If trotz didn't rely on komarov and johnston the isles would have another 6-8 pts in the standings , which would be a comfortable lead in 1st place.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:56 p.m.
Isles7
If Lou can get him to sign after the trade a la Pageau, sure, let's get Palmieri. I like his game, I think he'd fit and his age isn't a gigantic concern. Otherwise, I see it as pissing away picks. Our prospect system is shallow enough as is.

Palmieri is the next ladd. He is already on that same trajectory and he turns 31 soon. I wouldn't give him more than 3 mill for 2 years.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 11:31 p.m.
household names doesn't mean they're elite. Theyre just household names. Pelech is not just having a good year, he is in the Norris conversation. The isles currently have 4 stars - pelech, Pulock, barzal, and varlamov. Pelech-pulock are the #1 D pair in the NHL - they lead all D pairs in almost every advanced metric.

If trotz didn't rely on komarov and johnston the isles would have another 6-8 pts in the standings , which would be a comfortable lead in 1st place.

Honestly, even if you're right about Pulock/Pelech being elite (and this season, sure, they're playing out of their minds), it doesn't change what we know Trotz will do. If Trotz doesn't literally have 9 Top 6 players to skate, he'll put a Komarov or Clutterbuck type player in a high minutes situation. Which, yeah, that makes things difficult to go for it.

And as it pertains to the question of whether or not we should fork over high picks for a rental, how many times does a big trade actually yield a Cup? Usually it's a depth trade for a guy like Vermette. I really can't think of a team that traded for a guy of a profile like Hall's and went on to win the Cup. I usually just changes the locker room dynamic way too much.
Mar. 29, 2021 at 11:41 p.m.
Isles7
Honestly, even if you're right about Pulock/Pelech being elite (and this season, sure, they're playing out of their minds), it doesn't change what we know Trotz will do. If Trotz doesn't literally have 9 Top 6 players to skate, he'll put a Komarov or Clutterbuck type player in a high minutes situation. Which, yeah, that makes things difficult to go for it.

And as it pertains to the question of whether or not we should fork over high picks for a rental, how many times does a big trade actually yield a Cup? Usually it's a depth trade for a guy like Vermette. I really can't think of a team that traded for a guy of a profile like Hall's and went on to win the Cup. I usually just changes the locker room dynamic way too much.

well yeah trotz is a problem. I'm not in favor of trading a 1st for a rental, buy you have to add. A 2nd + bellows should be on the table. Obviously I don't want to move bellows but theyre not protecting him in the expansion draft so at least get something of value
Mar. 30, 2021 at 12:02 a.m.
well yeah trotz is a problem. I'm not in favor of trading a 1st for a rental, buy you have to add. A 2nd + bellows should be on the table. Obviously I don't want to move bellows but theyre not protecting him in the expansion draft so at least get something of value

If it's for a guy with some term like Forsberg or Rakell, I could live with losing a 1st rounder. Again, I think we're close, but not this year. So adding a guy who'll stay past this year could be good. But in general, I agree to keep our 1st.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 12:05 a.m.
Isles7
If it's for a guy with some term like Forsberg or Rakell, I could live with losing a 1st rounder. Again, I think we're close, but not this year. So adding a guy who'll stay past this year could be good. But in general, I agree to keep our 1st.

The isles need to add without giving up the 1st. Forsberg and rackell are overrated
Jun. 14, 2021 at 9:04 p.m.
It is actually unbelievable how close minded everyone on this site is, Everyone demands that teams win in a certain way, Trotz is an amazing coach by literally any measure. You guys are literally rejecting it because it hurts your worldviews.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 9:52 a.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Well this aged well
Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:58 p.m.
Quoting: Gmonwy
Well this aged well

Hey man, sometimes it’s fun to be wrong!
Jun. 26, 2021 at 4:05 p.m.
Daws is underrated
2-3-2 vs Penguins
0-3-0 vs Caps
2-1-2 vs Flyers
5-0-0 vs Bruins

At the very best, this is a 2nd round exit.

No. No it is not our year. There is exactly one team in the playoff picture we have played that we have a positive point percentage against. I hate to say it, but we WERE boosted by playing two awful teams so many times in a row. Throwing away assets for a rental is the dumbest thing we can do right now. I don’t want to hear about how these games were all close or about deep stats. If you’re consistently losing to the teams you’re GOING to play in the playoffs, that’s a gigantic red flag.

Our prospects had great years. Keep giving them ice time. Let Leddy or Bailey go in the Expansion Draft, then use our picks this draft to get the best guys we can get. I could see us using some of our second rounders to trade up in the draft, or trading our 1st and 2nds for a roster player from a desperate to rebuild team.

But you’re delusional if you see this team winning the Cup. Even with Hall and/or Palmieri. Largely because other contenders will also add. I love my Isles and I think the promised land is in our future, but not this year.

its nice to be wrong

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll