SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

I seriously hope we can make the playoffs

Mar. 30, 2021 at 8:15 a.m.
Love Freddy Andersen
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
There are times when I do wish they would hit a guy but I also think hitting is overrated. A lot of players hit people and just put themselves out of position. Also if you have the puck it's hard to hit people. That being said, Engvall and Mikheyev really need to hit guys and I would love to see Nylander just get mad and throw a hit. Just every once in a while to make guys think it could happen.

Would love for Nylander to throw around the body or do something physical. At times hes wayyyyy to soft
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 9:03 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: pharrow
another TOR fan wanting to trash EDM goaltending when TOR goaltending sucks just as bad if not worse.

No one is saying EDM isn't lead by their star players. You really miss the point here. They have another gear, a totally different level, and no you haven't really seen it yet. They are 24-25 years old now. They are hitting their peek years. You have not really seen them will games yet. Yes they are winning their team games, they are scoring points. Lots of players do that. But they are not willing them yet, which is something few players have ever been able to do. There is a difference between scoring points and winning games and willing them. It's a whole different level of determination, effort, and being that much better than everyone else on the ice. They can do that, the talent is there, it is their time and they know it. You can see it, they are on the cusp of figuring that out. That no one can stop them and they will just take it. No matter who else is on the ice. Every team in the league is looking at them and thinking, I don't want to be on the ice when they decide they are going to just take games over. Because it doesn't matter what your plan is, or who your players are. You're going to lose. That next level is there, it's in the tank. They are just waiting to use it.

This is utter nonsense. McDavid absolutely wills the team to wins. He picks them up and carries them to wins more than any other player in the league. I am a Leaf fan and I think Matthews is better than pretty much any non Leaf fan gives him credit for but it's clear McDavid is running away when the Hart. No one means as much to their team as McDavid does. Without him, they don't come close to making the playoffs. Draisaitl is really good but he still gets the majority of his points with McDavid on the ice. McDavid turns anyone into an offensive player. Beyond those two? They have nothing. Even look at a guy like Nurse who's having a really good season and isolate his numbers for when McDavid isn't on the ice and he's a below average defender, but a Norris candidate when he's on the ice with McDavid. Edmonton has the puck and gets almost all the chances when McDavid is on the ice and the rest of their team is negatives across the board. Their goaltending with Smith has been terrific but we all know how that's going to eventually end.

Another gear? This is McDavid's 24 year old season, statistical the best year a player has. This is his peak and he'll stay close to this for 4-5 years before he starts falling backwards slowly and then in his early 30's it'll be more pronounced. Like it is for pretty much every player in the game. Crosby isn't what he was when he was 24 but still a great player. This is just nonsense.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 9:09 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Leafs4ever
Would love for Nylander to throw around the body or do something physical. At times hes wayyyyy to soft

That's not it, he isn't soft. He goes to the front of the net and into the corners and fights for pucks. He doesn't block shots which he should start doing. And he never hits. I would love to see him throw a hit from time to time just because it would make defenceman think more. It doesn't have to be all the time like Hyman or Simmonds but just every once in a while, he has the ability to really line up a guy and I think with his speed of he every few games came flying in and leveled a defenceman, defenceman would have to think about that and it would result in them pausing for one more second and give him more time to steal the puck and create offence. Like give me 30 hits a season Willy. That's it.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 9:16 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
its just this guy, like we got a point that game with our 3rd goalie against 2 of the best wings in the NHL. Lets be real we should have won but the hockey gods gifted turris the tip of the century

like how is 1 loss in OT resulting in us missing the playoffs

heres a fun fact in 9 games against edmonton we are

6-1-2 (14/18 points and only 1 loss in regulation) yet this guys making it look as if we went 1-6-2

Also can we get some new refs pls as now they letting intent to injure plays go now

Yeah the reffing in the North has been ridiculously bad.

I’ve seen a lot of leafs fans making posts like these. I’m just glad I’m not apart of that community LOL.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 9:26 a.m.
torontos finest
Losing to the Oilers in OT my first thought isn't if they can't make the playoffs. It's if Campbell and Andersen will be 100%
Mar. 30, 2021 at 10:51 a.m.
Go leafs go
That's not it, he isn't soft. He goes to the front of the net and into the corners and fights for pucks. He doesn't block shots which he should start doing. And he never hits. I would love to see him throw a hit from time to time just because it would make defenceman think more. It doesn't have to be all the time like Hyman or Simmonds but just every once in a while, he has the ability to really line up a guy and I think with his speed of he every few games came flying in and leveled a defenceman, defenceman would have to think about that and it would result in them pausing for one more second and give him more time to steal the puck and create offence. Like give me 30 hits a season Willy. That's it.

Yes. He is soft. There's no way around it.
Or is that what you were saying? First you said "He isn't soft" and then go on to describe... how he is soft?
Leafs4ever liked this.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 11:31 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Saskleaf
Yes. He is soft. There's no way around it.
Or is that what you were saying? First you said "He isn't soft" and then go on to describe... how he is soft?

He just doesn't hit. That doesn't mean he's soft. Soft players don't go to the corners. They don't go to the front of the net. They don't score goals to tie games from their knees in the crease. All I am saying is, I think if he ran a guy from time to time it help his game. Doesn't have to be a lot just sometimes. Because he has the speed to get angles on guys.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 11:56 a.m.
Go leafs go
He just doesn't hit. That doesn't mean he's soft. Soft players don't go to the corners. They don't go to the front of the net. They don't score goals to tie games from their knees in the crease. All I am saying is, I think if he ran a guy from time to time it help his game. Doesn't have to be a lot just sometimes. Because he has the speed to get angles on guys.

He doesn't like to go into corners either, but I agree he isn't as soft as some make him out to be. He goes in front of the nets lots.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 1:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Saskleaf
He doesn't like to go into corners either, but I agree he isn't as soft as some make him out to be. He goes in front of the nets lots.

He does go into the corners and gets turnovers in the offensive zone more than almost everyone.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 2:04 p.m.
Banned
This is utter nonsense. McDavid absolutely wills the team to wins. He picks them up and carries them to wins more than any other player in the league. I am a Leaf fan and I think Matthews is better than pretty much any non Leaf fan gives him credit for but it's clear McDavid is running away when the Hart. No one means as much to their team as McDavid does. Without him, they don't come close to making the playoffs. Draisaitl is really good but he still gets the majority of his points with McDavid on the ice. McDavid turns anyone into an offensive player. Beyond those two? They have nothing. Even look at a guy like Nurse who's having a really good season and isolate his numbers for when McDavid isn't on the ice and he's a below average defender, but a Norris candidate when he's on the ice with McDavid. Edmonton has the puck and gets almost all the chances when McDavid is on the ice and the rest of their team is negatives across the board. Their goaltending with Smith has been terrific but we all know how that's going to eventually end.

Another gear? This is McDavid's 24 year old season, statistical the best year a player has. This is his peak and he'll stay close to this for 4-5 years before he starts falling backwards slowly and then in his early 30's it'll be more pronounced. Like it is for pretty much every player in the game. Crosby isn't what he was when he was 24 but still a great player. This is just nonsense.

ok first, forwards peek at 26-27 years old. There is more than enough statistical evidence that shows that. Defense men a little earlier.
Second again, willing games is not simply about points and winning games. You just don't get that. It's like saying Crosby put up points and won in 16-17. But he didn't will those games. But you look at 08-09 Malkin. He willed those games. The NHL hasn't seen someone will games since then either. When you realize that right now, McDavid has been stopped, frustrated etc.. then you realize he's winning games, he's scoring points, but he's not willing them. But when he does, you'll know, because no one will be able to stop him. It won't matter who else is on the ice. He'll be winning a cup.
He just isn't there yet. But it's coming. That level is in the tank. He will, will that team to a cup.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 4:54 p.m.
Banned
ok first, forwards peek at 26-27 years old. There is more than enough statistical evidence that shows that. Defense men a little earlier.
Second again, willing games is not simply about points and winning games. You just don't get that. It's like saying Crosby put up points and won in 16-17. But he didn't will those games. But you look at 08-09 Malkin. He willed those games. The NHL hasn't seen someone will games since then either. When you realize that right now, McDavid has been stopped, frustrated etc.. then you realize he's winning games, he's scoring points, but he's not willing them. But when he does, you'll know, because no one will be able to stop him. It won't matter who else is on the ice. He'll be winning a cup.
He just isn't there yet. But it's coming. That level is in the tank. He will, will that team to a cup.

McDavid has had a horrible team behind him and he makes them look like far more than they are. The Oilers suck but McDavid is the best player in the league. If he gets hurt they are done. No other team relies on one guy this much.

Also all of what you are saying is nonsense. It's widely accepted defenceman develop later, forwards sooner. Most players have their biggest season around 24 and continue on that level for several years before starting to show signs of decline in their late 20's or early 30's and as they age the decline can be rather unpredictable. Some guys maintain a good level longer while some players seem to just fall off a cliff. Neal is a good example of falling off a cliff. But then you have Marleau and Thornton who declined way slower. This is all easy to follow but just looking at players and their career stats. Of course you won't do so, you'll just say stuff that has no evidence to support it but will defend it and then insult others because it's how you feel important. Then when someone chirps you for how ridiculous it is, you'll brag about how strong you are. So what are you benching these days? 8000lbs?
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 9:00 p.m.
Banned
McDavid has had a horrible team behind him and he makes them look like far more than they are. The Oilers suck but McDavid is the best player in the league. If he gets hurt they are done. No other team relies on one guy this much.

Also all of what you are saying is nonsense. It's widely accepted defenceman develop later, forwards sooner. Most players have their biggest season around 24 and continue on that level for several years before starting to show signs of decline in their late 20's or early 30's and as they age the decline can be rather unpredictable. Some guys maintain a good level longer while some players seem to just fall off a cliff. Neal is a good example of falling off a cliff. But then you have Marleau and Thornton who declined way slower. This is all easy to follow but just looking at players and their career stats. Of course you won't do so, you'll just say stuff that has no evidence to support it but will defend it and then insult others because it's how you feel important. Then when someone chirps you for how ridiculous it is, you'll brag about how strong you are. So what are you benching these days? 8000lbs?

This is a widely assumed internet myth. But evolving wild did the stats on this.
Defensemen peek earlier and they decline slower.
Forwards peek later but decline a lot faster.
These are averages over thousands of players that bare this out.
I don't just say these things. I learned them. You on the other hand have some mythical belief off your own looking at player stats. I on the other hand looked at people who wrote the boring statistical analysis of players paper.
But you clearly can't read so there is no point in debating this with you.
But please come tell me how your "analysis" on when players peak is more substantive than EW. So we can all get a good laugh. Maybe try google and look things up for once.

No other team in the NBA relied more than teams did on Lebron too. That didn't mean Lebron could will games. **** how many years did he brick jump shots in the playoffs and lose games?
He could never hit that level. His whole career he's never been that level. Didn't mean he wasn't the best player, didn't mean he didn't score a bunch of points. But he is/was/never gonna be a MJ. Who willed games.
You just can't seem to wrap your head around the fact tat there is a difference between the two. It has nothing to do with points or teams relying on you. If lebron would have went down the team was done too. So what. We are talking apples to oranges here.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 9:02 p.m.
Banned
This is a widely assumed internet myth. But evolving wild did the stats on this.
Defensemen peek earlier and they decline slower.
Forwards peek later but decline a lot faster.
These are averages over thousands of players that bare this out.
I don't just say these things. I learned them. You on the other hand have some mythical belief off your own looking at player stats. I on the other hand looked at people who wrote the boring statistical analysis of players paper.
But you clearly can't read so there is no point in debating this with you.
But please come tell me how your "analysis" on when players peak is more substantive than EW. So we can all get a good laugh. Maybe try google and look things up for once.

No other team in the NBA relied more than teams did on Lebron too. That didn't mean Lebron could will games. **** how many years did he brick jump shots in the playoffs and lose games?
He could never hit that level. His whole career he's never been that level. Didn't mean he wasn't the best player, didn't mean he didn't score a bunch of points. But he is/was/never gonna be a MJ. Who willed games.
You just can't seem to wrap your head around the fact tat there is a difference between the two. It has nothing to do with points or teams relying on you. If lebron would have went down the team was done too. So what. We are talking apples to oranges here.

You are just ridiculous
Mar. 30, 2021 at 9:07 p.m.
Banned
You are just ridiculous

I come with, go google the evolving wild paper on it...you come with "you are just ridiculous"
I know.....expecting you to ...gasp...read!
Never ask the illiterate to do a learned man's job.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 9:53 p.m.
Banned
I come with, go google the evolving wild paper on it...you come with "you are just ridiculous"
I know.....expecting you to ...gasp...read!
Never ask the illiterate to do a learned man's job.

I have looked at tonnes of player and when they have their biggest impact as players. Forwards succeed faster and hit this prime around 24 and then defenceman about 25. Both start seeing a decline around 29 and it increases as they move into their 30's google any 30 players and you'll see this as pretty much bang on. There are outliers of course but very few defenceman have their best season before forwards do. It universally accepted that defenceman develop slower than forwards but they do decline quicker. This is all well known but of course your wild Google facts say something else.
Mar. 30, 2021 at 10:18 p.m.
Banned
I have looked at tonnes of player and when they have their biggest impact as players. Forwards succeed faster and hit this prime around 24 and then defenceman about 25. Both start seeing a decline around 29 and it increases as they move into their 30's google any 30 players and you'll see this as pretty much bang on. There are outliers of course but very few defenceman have their best season before forwards do. It universally accepted that defenceman develop slower than forwards but they do decline quicker. This is all well known but of course your wild Google facts say something else.

you can't read so you clearly can't do math.
You over here looking at some numbers without a clue what any of them mean, but go on.......
Mar. 31, 2021 at 1:20 a.m.
Banned
you can't read so you clearly can't do math.
You over here looking at some numbers without a clue what any of them mean, but go on.......

Lol it must be because I can't bench press as much as you tough guy.
Mar. 31, 2021 at 2:36 a.m.
Banned

Apr. 1, 2021 at 10:23 a.m.
Save Ukrane, end war

I once benched 200 pounds. Left my wallet on a park bench in the UK...
Apr. 1, 2021 at 12:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BigDaddyOvech
I once benched 200 pounds. Left my wallet on a park bench in the UK...

Nice, just for reference, that Pharrow guy once said I don't know what I am talking about because I can't bench press as much as he can. I found it to be the most hilarious meat head response I've ever come across on here so I keep bringing it up.
BigDaddyOvech liked this.
Apr. 1, 2021 at 6:06 p.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
Nice, just for reference, that Pharrow guy once said I don't know what I am talking about because I can't bench press as much as he can. I found it to be the most hilarious meat head response I've ever come across on here so I keep bringing it up.

That's actually hilarious. I bet your Dad could beat up his Dad, so you've got that going.
Apr. 1, 2021 at 6:09 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BigDaddyOvech
That's actually hilarious. I bet your Dad could beat up his Dad, so you've got that going.

Lol right?!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll