SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Tampa Bay Lightning

Let's talk unloading Tyler Johnson after the season

Apr. 1, 2021 at 10:11 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
I think it's apparent at this point he's not going to make moving him out cheap on us. Seattle probably see's a lot of pieces they'd like that we cannot all protect (Joseph, Colton, Barre-Boulet, Foote), so, they're going to be able to probably come away with quite the haul off us.

I've soured a bit on pursuing Seattle to take McDonagh. These past few games he was gone it was clear we were not quite the same team.

So, assuming we have to get Johnson out of town to his only suitor in Seattle, and we're not considering retaining significant money or a buyout over 6 years, what valuable pieces are we willing to move?

Do we offer up young players/prospects like Colton, BB, Joseph, or Alnefelt to preserve our 1st round pick. Or would giving up the 1st, 3rd, and maybe more of a project prospect with upside like Jack Thompson be a better route?
Apr. 1, 2021 at 10:42 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
To give some context to this, I saw on The Athletic the rumoured rate to buy an extra expansion protection for any team trading for a player with term or RFA at the deadline is around 2-3 quality assets. So, that in addition to having to get them to take Johnson is going to probably be a sizeable sum.
Apr. 1, 2021 at 11:58 p.m.
I want Gourde back
I'd do a 1st and ABB, but that's just me. If ABB has more value than them I like Joseph, Colton, and definitely Foote more than him. If that's not enough I say screw it and throw the 3rd also
Apr. 1, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
I want Gourde back
I've also seen some Hawks fans interested in something like Johnson & 1st for Janmark. We'd probably have to add, but i'd be willing to do that this week. We could add Morand and 2 7th or something
Apr. 2, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: imawesome
I'd do a 1st and ABB, but that's just me. If ABB has more value than them I like Joseph, Colton, and definitely Foote more than him. If that's not enough I say screw it and throw the 3rd also

With the emergence of Colton I agree with this. ABB and Colton kinda fill the same spot over the next couple seasons. Gotta keep Foote, he's progressing really well.

I'm also not convinced it's Johnson to Seattle anymore. I can see him going to a different team and Mac being the guy for Seattle.
Apr. 2, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
Quoting: imawesome

It'll be interesting to see what it costs. Garrison cost us a 2nd (45th OA), 4th, and Gusev (scoring at >1ppg in the KHL) to get Vegas to take him. He only had 1 year and Johnson will have 3 left. Hoping for the best, but Johnson isn't doing us many favors.
Apr. 2, 2021 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: CoopsTroops
It'll be interesting to see what it costs. Garrison cost us a 2nd (45th OA), 4th, and Gusev (scoring at >1ppg in the KHL) to get Vegas to take him. He only had 1 year and Johnson will have 3 left. Hoping for the best, but Johnson isn't doing us many favors.

Garrison was an absolute cap dump tho. Johnson has a little more value. They'll get 200 games out of him.
Apr. 2, 2021 at 6:07 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
Quoting: Rangsey
Garrison was an absolute cap dump tho. Johnson has a little more value. They'll get 200 games out of him.

Sure, but he hasn't bucked his downward trajectory this season. I still think he's a good 3C, but we are going to have zero leverage in an expansion considerations trade negotiations.
Apr. 2, 2021 at 6:46 p.m.
Quoting: CoopsTroops
Sure, but he hasn't bucked his downward trajectory this season. I still think he's a good 3C, but we are going to have zero leverage in an expansion considerations trade negotiations.

Agreed.
Apr. 2, 2021 at 10:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Trouble with Johnson is his 5m X 2 years contract starting next season. If Seattle doesn't think he worth the his contract, they probably don't want him at any cost. They are trying to do as well as possible now, and don't want to carry dead cap (if that is what Johnson is)
Forget about McDonagh moving....his contract is too long.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll