Team Canada Olympic Roster

Created by: sammy_daws1997
Team: 2020-21 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 5, 2021
Published: Apr. 5, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here is how I filled out the team.
Forwards - I start with Mcdavid, Crosby, Mackinnon and figure out how I want to use them. I think Crosby & Mac will play together due to the Nova Scotia connection so I then added Marchand in there as he also trains with them.

For Mcdavid I needed to find guys who can keep up with him and also a guy who can score off of his setups (ala. Draisaitl). Marner can keep up with him and Point can finish with the best of them.

The top two lines also each have two natural centremen who shoot opposite to eachother so faceoffs will always be in their favour.

I then looked at who will match up against the other teams top lines and took the 4 PK guys of Couturier, O'Reilly, Bergeron and Stone. All top faceoff guys other than Stone obviously, but also all lefties other than Bergeron so Bergy is an important piece here for the PK. I take Scheifele to balance out the shots L vs R. leaving only one spot left...

Stamkos is the guy I take, but this is the only spot thats really up for contention here. Alternatively Barzal could swap in for Point and Point plays down the lineup, but then we have a lot of speedy playmakers so I think its better to have a little of everything.

Huberdeau is the 13th but again, Barzal among others could also fit here.

On defense, I think it is a bit more cut and dry.
top 3 of Hamilton, Theodore, Pietrangelo is a lock

I then look again at defensive play and PK and Ekblad and Nurse are big guys who play tough defensive games while being good puck movers and skaters.

The last spot is mainly a 2nd Pairing PP spot, preferably a RHD. Makar is a popular choice here, but as a RHD he would have to displace one of Pietrangelo or Hamilton, which he just hasnt shown he can do yet. Ekblad plays the PK which Makar doesnt do so we look at Rielly as the final defensman.

The 7D spot also doesnt go to Makar as he may have to jump in to any role. A guy like Ryan Ellis is perfect for this role. Plays both PP and PK in Nashville and is good at both ends.

Goalie will be the controversy, but the consensus is that Price is out. Fleury looks elite still and has the experience to start, and then I went with Hart and Binnington to fight for the backup. Both have been rough this year but will likely have no issue on a team like this. An important factor in chosing a goalie is that they have to be able to go a while without being tested. Because of this I wont be surprised if Price makes this team as the backup..

Obviously people will disagree with this roster. The main one being Makar being left off, but I feel that my reasoning is sound, so feel free to comment why you disagree.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$999,999,999$147,117,166$0$82,500$852,882,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$6,750,000$6,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 6
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 3
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,333,333$4,333,333
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 7
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,200,000$5,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
$8,800,000$8,800,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$730,833$730,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RD
UFA - 5
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$5,900,000$5,900,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
UFA - 7
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$4,400,000$4,400,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 5, 2021 at 12:58 p.m.
Jinx god
Chabot would probably make the team
Steve_321 liked this.
Apr. 5, 2021 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69

better than Reilly for sure.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Apr. 5, 2021 at 1:19 p.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
This is a really good team. What about a first line of Stone, McDavid, Marner? I think Chabot makes it over Nurse.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Apr. 5, 2021 at 1:28 p.m.
I think Barzal would be a sneaky good add to McDavid's wing.

I also think only one of Bergeron + O'Reilly start.

Huberdeau seems like a lock to me to start, but we'll see. A Huberdeau - Scheifele - Stamkos line could be deadly.
Apr. 5, 2021 at 1:31 p.m.
Mackenzie Blackwood out here getting disrespected yet again. I’d be picking him over hart and binnington.

Also, Chabot definitely replaces Rielly. Huberdeau is a lock to make the starting lineup IMO. Bergeron won’t make the starting roster as couturier and o’reilly play the same role but are younger and can skate a lot better. Bergeron will be lost in the speed of the Olympic.
Apr. 5, 2021 at 1:34 p.m.
redw1n9s
Point at 4C and Barzal in there somewhere. Also Makar has to be in the top 6. Reilly gets way too much love.

Parayko too.

Theo - Piet
Nurse - Hamilton
Makar - Parayko
Apr. 5, 2021 at 1:35 p.m.
In Zito We Trust
Imagine not putting Huberdeau in the lineup
Apr. 5, 2021 at 5:06 p.m.
Quoting: villenash
I think Barzal would be a sneaky good add to McDavid's wing.

I also think only one of Bergeron + O'Reilly start.

Huberdeau seems like a lock to me to start, but we'll see. A Huberdeau - Scheifele - Stamkos line could be deadly.

The only reason I dont like Barzal on Mcdavids line is that it adds a lot of speedy passers to the same line. It would be fun to have a line of Barzal-Mcdavid-Mackinnon though and try to see the other team keep up!

As far as Huberdeau goes, I also think he is good enough to start. The issue is, who does he displace? He isnt going to play in place of Couturier/O'rielly/Bergeron/Stone as those guys are all key defensive guys. He clearly isnt better than Crosby/Mcdavid/Mackinnon and doesnt play C to take off side draws if needed like Scheifele and Stamkos. It comes down to Huberdeau over one of Marner, Point, or Marchand and I think both of them are much better than Huberdeau.

If you think only one of O'Rielly/Bergeron can start then who is the 4th PK guy? The issue with this is that if you cut Bergeron then you only have left handed centers and cutting O'rielly leaves off one of the best faceoff/ two-way guys in the league... Lets say we do cut Bergeron for Huberdeau, then who fills the PK spot? Probably Marchand which then gives you the same issue as above which is not enough faceoff guys...

despite my thoughts I could definately see one of Bergeron/Couturier/O'Rielly being cut for Huberdeau.
villenash liked this.
Apr. 5, 2021 at 5:12 p.m.
Quoting: VijayPatel11
Imagine not putting Huberdeau in the lineup

Who do you take out for him... I can see people saying Couturier or Bergeron, but those guys play a completely different style compared to Huberdeau so its not their spots he is competing for.

Realistically it is against Point/Marchand/Marner that he is competing against as I said in another comment.
Apr. 5, 2021 at 5:15 p.m.
Quoting: redw1n9s
Point at 4C and Barzal in there somewhere. Also Makar has to be in the top 6. Reilly gets way too much love.

Parayko too.

Theo - Piet
Nurse - Hamilton
Makar - Parayko

I agree that Makar is the one guy missing, but as I mentioned in the description, his style just doesn't fit. He is definitely competing with Reilly, but being a RHD vs Reilly being a LHD was the decision for me.

I do however disagree on Parayko. He has been very week this year without Pietrangelo to take all the heavy minutes and Ekblad showed this year why he was a 1OA pick. I take Ekblad over Parayko all day.
Apr. 5, 2021 at 5:18 p.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69

Over who? On the left side he isnt as tough or defensively responsible as Nurse and isnt as talented as Reilly or Theodore imo.
Maybe you could argue that he takes Reilly's spot but Rielly has consistently put up better numbers than Chabut and has a bit more experience as well.
Apr. 5, 2021 at 5:19 p.m.
Quoting: tsyls
Mackenzie Blackwood out here getting disrespected yet again. I’d be picking him over hart and binnington.

Also, Chabot definitely replaces Rielly. Huberdeau is a lock to make the starting lineup IMO. Bergeron won’t make the starting roster as couturier and o’reilly play the same role but are younger and can skate a lot better. Bergeron will be lost in the speed of the Olympic.

The only thing Bergeron has going for him is that he is a right hand shot, so he can take the faceoffs that Couturier and O'Rielly would be on their off side for on PK and in critical defensive spots.
tsyls liked this.
Apr. 5, 2021 at 5:23 p.m.
Quoting: sammy_daws1997
The only reason I dont like Barzal on Mcdavids line is that it adds a lot of speedy passers to the same line. It would be fun to have a line of Barzal-Mcdavid-Mackinnon though and try to see the other team keep up!

As far as Huberdeau goes, I also think he is good enough to start. The issue is, who does he displace? He isnt going to play in place of Couturier/O'rielly/Bergeron/Stone as those guys are all key defensive guys. He clearly isnt better than Crosby/Mcdavid/Mackinnon and doesnt play C to take off side draws if needed like Scheifele and Stamkos. It comes down to Huberdeau over one of Marner, Point, or Marchand and I think both of them are much better than Huberdeau.

If you think only one of O'Rielly/Bergeron can start then who is the 4th PK guy? The issue with this is that if you cut Bergeron then you only have left handed centers and cutting O'rielly leaves off one of the best faceoff/ two-way guys in the league... Lets say we do cut Bergeron for Huberdeau, then who fills the PK spot? Probably Marchand which then gives you the same issue as above which is not enough faceoff guys...

despite my thoughts I could definately see one of Bergeron/Couturier/O'Rielly being cut for Huberdeau.

Good points. Thanks for the thorough response!

As far as the PK, I think Marchand -- Couturier --- O'Reilly/Bergeron -- Stone -- Scheifele -- Huberdeau could cover that.
Apr. 5, 2021 at 5:26 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: sammy_daws1997
Over who? On the left side he isnt as tough or defensively responsible as Nurse and isnt as talented as Reilly or Theodore imo.
Maybe you could argue that he takes Reilly's spot but Rielly has consistently put up better numbers than Chabut and has a bit more experience as well.

Nurse isn’t good defensively what are you talking about, he would 100% take his spot. He’s more consistent defensively than all of them. Sure Rielly and Theo are better offensively but he’s better two ways, plus he can rack up a tone of minutes. Theo and Rielly are both on some of the best teams and Nurse gets carried by McDavid and Drai, while Chabot has who? Pretty much nobody.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll