Forums/Armchair-GM

Cap Whoas

Created by: CalderMakar
Team: 2021-22 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 6, 2021
Published: Apr. 6, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Playing around with necessary contracts over the next offseason. To be plain, I think Sakic gets Landeskog and Makar to take good deals for the club and keep this contender going, and has Grubauer take a reasonable contract as well. (MacKinnon, Girard, Toews, Burakovsky, Jost, and Grubauer's last contract are all proof of my point). I put Compher in LTIR to show he got snagged by Seattle.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$8,500,000
3$1,250,000
1$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$6,000,000
4$6,000,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$82,398,963$1,741,463$3,975,000-$898,963

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 8
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C
UFA - 2
$908,333$908,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
C
RFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$8,500,000$8,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 6
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,166,667$3,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 6, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.
Hawks Fan
What would a trade for Graves to the Blackhawks look like? I assume you'll want prospect and/or picks to shed salary. Maybe Donskoi as another trade?
Apr. 6, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.
Lenny7
Landy could get 6-7 x $8 on the open market. If he takes 4 x $6, the NHLPA will not be happy campers.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
Landy could get 6-7 x $8 on the open market. If he takes 4 x $6, the NHLPA will not be happy campers.

I think it'll be closer to $7 x 6-7, but I agree.

@CalderMakar Have to imagine Graves is on his way out after this season. He's played great, but we can't be spending $9 million on our third pairing defense.
Lenny7 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
What would a trade for Graves to the Blackhawks look like?

Maybe a top six winger in his mid-20s. Oh wait...
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
Mayo Chicken
What would a trade for Graves to the Blackhawks look like? I assume you'll want prospect and/or picks to shed salary. Maybe Donskoi as another trade?

Yeah, Donskoi and Graves are the trade bait but then they're HEAVILY relying on youth to carry everything. That has been super effective so well, but that's also a scary thing to 100% invest in. The Avs also have to be careful of stripping the Eagles of talent completely, that won't go over well.

For Graves my guess is some higher end picks, I don't see anything on the roster the Avs would seriously want and that Chicago would be willing to part with and doesn't hurt the (partial? IDK) rebuild. But Graves is a solid guy to build a depleted defense with, and already has good history with Zads. Donskoi would go well too, but probably the same answer. Maybe package the both of them for Debrincat? Doesn't seem too likely.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:05 p.m.
Mayo Chicken

Yeah, but of any captain, Landy seems like the one to thumb his nose at the NHLPA for his squad. But you could split the difference and say $6x5 or $5.75x6. That's fine.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:06 p.m.
Remember they will lose a guy in expansion, very possibly one of Donskoi, Compher, Nichushkin, or Graves. That will open up a bit of cap space, and they should be able to fill that hole with a prospect (Kaut, Bowers, Newhook, Timmins) for under $1M
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:08 p.m.
Mayo Chicken
Quoting: Foppa21
I think it'll be closer to $7 x 6-7, but I agree.

CalderMakar Have to imagine Graves is on his way out after this season. He's played great, but we can't be spending $9 million on our third pairing defense.

Honestly you could swap him or Compher to Seattle and I don't care which. The other either stays around or gets traded for picks and prospect, or some need once this squad gets through a shakedown cruise. The issue I see is EJ's health and the big PK minutes Graves eats, including literally eating pucks. But they're doing better about making that a systems thing, so he's becoming less necessary specifically and able to be recreated in aggregate.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:11 p.m.
Mayo Chicken
Quoting: Mergus80
Remember they will lose a guy in expansion, very possibly one of Donskoi, Compher, Nichushkin, or Graves. That will open up a bit of cap space, and they should be able to fill that hole with a prospect (Kaut, Bowers, Newhook, Timmins) for under $1M

Yeah, I've already done that if you read the note and look at the Taxi Squad spot. I said the Avs protected Donskoi and Seattle took Compher, but kept Graves and Nuke. There's still a lot of roster moves and trades to be done with this, and I don't think this is out of the bounds of reason in the contract signing. Next year is a small retool but they're here to stay.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:11 p.m.
Quoting: CalderMakar
Honestly you could swap him or Compher to Seattle and I don't care which. The other either stays around or gets traded for picks and prospect, or some need once this squad gets through a shakedown cruise. The issue I see is EJ's health and the big PK minutes Graves eats, including literally eating pucks. But they're doing better about making that a systems thing, so he's becoming less necessary specifically and able to be recreated in aggregate.

Yep, though at this point, I bet it'll be Donskoi or Graves that Seattle selects, and Compher dealt for futures. I think all three will be cap casualties.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:12 p.m.
GoJetsGo
I bet most teams would love a guy like Graves. I would like him on the Jets, I bet the Rangers would be interested as well. He can be a good steady defenceman to pair with a more offensive minded guy on the right side (such as Trouba or Pionk).
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:14 p.m.
MK458
Makar is in the Norris conversation and you having him signing for less than Rantanen...
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:14 p.m.
Lenny7
Yeah, but of any captain, Landy seems like the one to thumb his nose at the NHLPA for his squad. But you could split the difference and say $6x5 or $5.75x6. That's fine.

I guess I'm just not sure why Colorado would do that to him? Loyalty goes both ways...Can you imagine being a star player on a team that just paid Rantanen big bucks, is likely going to pay Makar big bucks, and will see Nate get BIG bucks, but you turn around, as pretty much a PPG player over the past 3 years, and take way below market value? Ef that.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:15 p.m.
Mayo Chicken
Quoting: Foppa21
Yep, though at this point, I bet it'll be Donskoi or Graves that Seattle selects, and Compher dealt for futures. I think all three will be cap casualties.

I think Donskoi has played himself into a protected spot this year. He's just driving too much offense and is too defensively solid. He's 100% bought into the system and posted back to back career years during the pandemic. I don't see how you get rid of that dude for free to Seattle. You make him your 6/7th save and let the Kraken decide whether they want Compher or Graves. Donskoi already scored an overtime goal against you, do you want that again? I know I wouldn't. I've got in this list two of the three still on the roster, so I don't think all need to go.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:16 p.m.
Yeah, I've already done that if you read the note and look at the Taxi Squad spot. I said the Avs protected Donskoi and Seattle took Compher, but kept Graves and Nuke. There's still a lot of roster moves and trades to be done with this, and I don't think this is out of the bounds of reason in the contract signing. Next year is a small retool but they're here to stay.

Ah okay, missed that note in the description. I could be wrong, but it looks like Compher is still counting for 2.375 against the cap in your example.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:19 p.m.
Mayo Chicken
Quoting: capfriendlyaccount
I bet most teams would love a guy like Graves. I would like him on the Jets, I bet the Rangers would be interested as well. He can be a good steady defenceman to pair with a more offensive minded guy on the right side (such as Trouba or Pionk).

Yeah, honestly I hope Seattle takes Compher for everyone's account. I honestly think Compher needs a change of scenery to get to the next level, and I don't know if this type of team is best for his style. He can build from the ground up like the guys in Vegas did. The cap worries are much less in Seattle and they don't have to pay anything to get him. Plus, that allows the Avs to trade Graves to any number of teams that would like a nice stay at home defenseman and have some serious return available. Or maybe Graves can stay put and turn into EJ 2.0, who knows?
capfriendlyaccount liked this.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:21 p.m.
Mayo Chicken
I guess I'm just not sure why Colorado would do that to him? Loyalty goes both ways...Can you imagine being a star player on a team that just paid Rantanen big bucks, is likely going to pay Makar big bucks, and will see Nate get BIG bucks, but you turn around, as pretty much a PPG player over the past 3 years, and take way below market value? Ef that.

Because even Rantanen didn't get as much as others have, all told. MacKinnon is on a hugely cheap contract, continues to say he likes it, and promises to sign low next contract again. This specific group of dudes have bought into each other to try to put together a dynasty in the current cap climate, and if you're the GM that played both before and after the cap came into the league and that happened in your locker room, you sign guys to whatever you can get them to put pen to paper for. I can't imagine that the captain of the team isn't leading the charge in team-friendly deals, IMHO.
Lenny7 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:26 p.m.
Mayo Chicken
Quoting: mk458
Makar is in the Norris conversation and you having him signing for less than Rantanen...

Yeah, that's the biggest gap here honestly. But everything I read says Cale Makar is the most team-centered guy they've ever met. All about taking care of his guys, leading with character, being the example, thinking long-term despite his age. My argument for this team is that this is a group of players that have bought into themselves and each other. They would rather have their name engraved on the Stanley Cup once or more than have a couple few more million dollars at the end of a contract. That's how you build a solid locker room that gets points in 15 straight games, the coach isn't in there yelling at them. They police themselves, they're bought in from top to bottom. That's already showing in lesser contracts and I think it'll continue to do so in bigger ones.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:26 p.m.
retired
if you move compher to ltir it will make the cap space more accurate.

landy is at a ppg. no way he signs for $6m. i'd expect at least $7.5m

i'd trade graves too. he's expendable at this point
CalderMakar liked this.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:30 p.m.
Mayo Chicken
Quoting: DirtyDangle
if you move compher to ltir it will make the cap space more accurate.

landy is at a ppg. no way he signs for $6m. i'd expect at least $7.5m

i'd trade graves too. he's expendable at this point

Good call, got that fixed now, thanks.

Yeah, Graves is expendable depending on how the rest of the season goes for sure. Landy is all about how he feels about taking a team-friendly deal to keep the group together.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:33 p.m.
Lenny7
Because even Rantanen didn't get as much as others have, all told. MacKinnon is on a hugely cheap contract, continues to say he likes it, and promises to sign low next contract again. This specific group of dudes have bought into each other to try to put together a dynasty in the current cap climate, and if you're the GM that played both before and after the cap came into the league and that happened in your locker room, you sign guys to whatever you can get them to put pen to paper for. I can't imagine that the captain of the team isn't leading the charge in team-friendly deals, IMHO.

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree. That's like saying that every captain in the league will sign for less than market value. I don't disagree that Rantanen took a bit of a discount, but he also took less term than he could have got, so that he could sign another deal when he turns 28. Given that Landy is at that point now, there's no reason why he shouldn't get a reasonable long-term pay day, especailly given that this is likely the last chance he's got to get one.

Fun-ish fact: Joe Sakic's last contract paid him more than this offer.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 3:41 p.m.
Mayo Chicken
I see where you're coming from, but I disagree. That's like saying that every captain in the league will sign for less than market value. I don't disagree that Rantanen took a bit of a discount, but he also took less term than he could have got, so that he could sign another deal when he turns 28. Given that Landy is at that point now, there's no reason why he shouldn't get a reasonable long-term pay day, especailly given that this is likely the last chance he's got to get one.

Fun-ish fact: Joe Sakic's last contract paid him more than this offer.

I see where you're coming from, I just disagree. I'm not talking about all captains, I'm talking about this one. He'd go fight anyone in the league for his guys, and I don't think anyone would argue that. And while I do see your point about this contract vs Sakic's, it's two different players and two different eras. It used to be a player got paid for what he previously had done, so the older contracts were massive. That's kinda going away now. You're getting paid more for what you are right now. We can argue whether that's better for the players or not, but it is what it is. Second, as much as I love him, Landeskog will likely never make it to the HoF like Sakic was a first ballot no-brainer. They're two completely different players and comparing their contracts isn't super useful.

The other side is what I hope happens that we never find out about until later. I hope that whatever happens on the paper contract, there's a handshake agreement with Landy and Sakic that he never puts on another sweater in the NHL. They never trade him, once he can't get a big long contract they go full Thornton and resign him each year he feels he can keep playing, and he decides who his replacement is (likely Makar). I want him to retire an Av and hang that jersey.
Lenny7 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2021 at 4:09 p.m.
Imagine Landeskog signs anything starting with the #6 and Danault signs 5.5
What a world that would be.
Apr. 7, 2021 at 11:44 a.m.
Hawks Fan
Yeah, Donskoi and Graves are the trade bait but then they're HEAVILY relying on youth to carry everything. That has been super effective so well, but that's also a scary thing to 100% invest in. The Avs also have to be careful of stripping the Eagles of talent completely, that won't go over well.

For Graves my guess is some higher end picks, I don't see anything on the roster the Avs would seriously want and that Chicago would be willing to part with and doesn't hurt the (partial? IDK) rebuild. But Graves is a solid guy to build a depleted defense with, and already has good history with Zads. Donskoi would go well too, but probably the same answer. Maybe package the both of them for Debrincat? Doesn't seem too likely.

Well I think we both know Cat is essentially untouchable.
CalderMakar liked this.
Apr. 7, 2021 at 12:48 p.m.
John 3 16

If the 2nd is high, a 2nd. If it's late, more like a 2nd + 3rd.
CalderMakar liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll