Forums/Armchair-GM

Buffalos Future from Isles Fan Perspective

Created by: Apollo2195
Team: 2021-22 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 7, 2021
Published: Apr. 7, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Watching the last couple games with Ullmark back, no Eichel and a little bit of confidence of not losing every game for the rest of the season. I actually can see Buffalo trading Eichel and being Ok in a couple years and even having a better overall direction. This meaning you are no longer on Eichels watch and can rebuild at a proper more effective pace. Essentially it looks to me like Buffalo re-tools every year without ever having success instead of finishing the original rebuild.

Below is my idea of that Shanahan 5 year plan for Buffalo.

Year 1- Teardown (Trade Hall, Eichel, Montour and anything else not bolted down not named Dahlin, Olafsson or Reinhardt) Rustolainen will be the cockroach that won’t go away but you will look on fondly someday) also take on bad contract and hoard picks.

Year 2 - Play with those bad contracts and use their experiences to help the kids develop. Change culture, like Lou did for TML and NYI.

Year 3 - Contracts have ended now play the kids.

Year 4 - Probably experience 1st round heart break, but it’s better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

Year 5 - Go for it.

With that said I made a few moves I can see happing this deadline and the off-season and after looking at the roster I honestly think you’ll be OK and will be able to absolutely weaponize cap space while it’s the best time to in the history of the salary cap when there’s going to be no raise in the cap for several years. A lot of teams will be desperate with RFA’s coming up (ex. isles and Canucks) and Seattle looming.

After my moves I see a team that looks similar (but weaker version) of how Montreal looked like kotkaniemi’s and Suzuki’s first year. Talent on the Wings, young centers, good goaltending, mixed bag on D, and a ton of Cap and Draft Picks.

Georgiev will be an absolute upgrade on Hutton first off. Kakko is essentially an instant 2nd overall pick for Eichel along with the Actual picks.

Bellows has top 6 potential, hits, scores. Trotz just doesn’t like his defensive game.

Take beagle for picks because Vancouver is desperate and he will serve you well on the PK and bottom 6 as well as take important Faceoffs.

Overpay for Brassard because he is versatile. PK, PP, can play wing and center. Streaky goal scorer.

Overpay for Vatanen, why? Well you need another LD with experience and he is serviceable and is a UFA. Any other LHD you think will fit better works too.

Take on Andrew Ladd’s deal to help my Isles out (lol) for a 1st and Robin Salo. He’s one of the Isles top D-prospects and will probably make the NHL within 3 years and will help your defense out right when you guys will start being playoff contenders.

Sign Ullmark with every dollar you can because he’ll be another Lehner if you let him go.

You have even more cap to use to acquire and hoard even more picks for overpaid and underproducing players, I’d just not take anything with 3 or more years on it.

The overall idea of the new identity and direction of this team is a youthful top 6 and a gritty older responsible bottom 6 and in 2 years time, Ladd, Okposo, Beagle, Brassard, Vatanen all will be off the books. You will then have drafted several 1st-3rd rounders and will have enough cap space to go big game hunting for a Center and RHD. By then the Caps, Pens, Boston and (unfortunately my) Isles cores will all be aging all while Buffalo would be catching up to the other rebuilds, OTT, NJD, DET and then would probably see themselves as actual playoff contenders regularly. Add a few hits instead of misses on those 1st round draft picks and who knows where buffalo is in 5 years.

Good Luck Buffalo you are my second favorite NY team.

LGI
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
2$3,000,000
4$5,000,000
2$750,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,000,000
3$3,000,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Bellows, Kieffer [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (COL)
NYI
    Hall (TDL) 2021 50% Retained
    BUF
    1. Georgiev, Alexandar
    2. Kakko, Kaapo
    3. 2021 1st round pick (NYR)
    4. 2022 1st round pick (NYR)
    BUF
    1. Ladd, Andrew
    2. Salo, Robin
    3. 2021 1st round pick (NYI)
    NYI
    1. 2021 6th round pick (COL)
    BUF
    1. 2021 3rd round pick (WPG)
    WPG
      Montour (TDL) With Retention
      BUF
      1. Beagle, Jay
      2. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
      3. 2022 4th round pick (VAN)
      VAN
      1. 2021 5th round pick (MTL)
      Buyouts
      Buried
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the NYR
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the NYR
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$81,500,000$72,438,916$113,916$3,500,000$9,061,084

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
      $3,050,000$3,050,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      LW, C
      RFA - 3
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW
      UFA - 3
      $900,000$900,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the New York Rangers
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
      RW
      RFA - 1
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $9,000,000$9,000,000
      LW, RW
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      $2,200,000$2,200,000
      LW, C
      UFA - 2
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      C, LW
      UFA - 2
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 3
      $5,400,000$5,400,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      G
      UFA - 4
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      LD/RD
      UFA
      $3,875,000$3,875,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the New York Rangers
      $2,425,000$2,425,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $889,166$889,166
      LD/RD
      RFA - 1
      $900,000$900,000
      RD
      RFA - 3
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $2,250,000$2,250,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $800,000$800,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      RD
      UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Apr. 7, 2021 at 6:50 a.m.
      It's honestly just not necessary. You don't need to have a 5 year plan.
      The team as it is, is truly only missing depth and goaltending. This year the depth was a major factor losing eichel, cozens at times, ullmark, and McCabe, plus other major defenders for periods of time made it difficult added onto the fact that the previous coach was using a horrendous style of play.
      But using ullmarks numbers he is 8-5-3 if he were to play 64 games his numbers would be 32-20-12 which would give them roughly 76 points. You have a decent back up who can at least stay near .500 going 6-6-2 you get 90 points.
      That makes you a fringe playoff team In a normal year. That's without adding talent or using a proper system by a decent coach.
      The year before last year Hutton lost like 13-14 games in a row if he wins half we would been in the playoffs.
      The team needs minor tweaks but a big goalie upgrade. And the team will be fine.
      Radu47 liked this.
      Apr. 7, 2021 at 6:51 a.m.
      Vegan Commie Hipster
      Alter the course of the franchise because of a few games? That's oversimplifying but. You're also suggesting the franchise ultimately rebuilds...

For a decade

A literal decade 2013 2023

This may be your 2nd favourite NY team but the Sabres are the heart & soul of many Buffalonians (?) and that's honestly insulting to such passionate fans

I was lucky to witness that passion first hand in 2009

They already have the pieces that any team would want out of a rebuild they just have 15M$ committed to 5 total Skinnposo goals which is why they suck atm

All they need is to be free of that and build properly
      Shibbal18 liked this.
      Apr. 7, 2021 at 8:53 a.m.
      Quoting: Radu47
      Alter the course of the franchise because of a few games? That's oversimplifying but. You're also suggesting the franchise ultimately rebuilds...

For a decade

This may be your 2nd favourite NY team but the Sabres are the heart & soul of many Buffalonians (?) and that's honestly insulting to such passionate fans

They already have the pieces that any team would want out of a rebuild they just have 15M$ committed to 5 total Skinnposo goals which is why they suck atm

They don’t suck because of Okposo and Skinners bad contracts. They are bad because they signed Eakin for some reason and they didn’t find a reliable backup goalie. Having injuries to McCabe and Eichel didn’t help things either.
      Shibbal18 liked this.
      Apr. 7, 2021 at 8:58 a.m.
      Shibbal18
      Quoting: Sabres923
      They don’t suck because of Okposo and Skinners bad contracts. They are bad because they signed Eakin for some reason and they didn’t find a reliable backup goalie. Having injuries to McCabe and Eichel didn’t help things either.

On top of that Dahlin and Jokiharju have played much better with Kreuger gone
      Sabres923 liked this.
      Apr. 7, 2021 at 8:58 a.m.

Eakin’s 2.25M is holding them back? Skinner’s 9M and Okposo’s 6M must be the titanic then.

New FO, and owners is the best thing for this franchise.
      Apr. 7, 2021 at 9:05 a.m.
      Quoting: BStinson
      Eakin’s 2.25M is holding them back? Skinner’s 9M and Okposo’s 6M must be the titanic then.

Skinner is still a good player, Okposo is on a nice point streak 6 points in his last 7 games, 2-6-8 points. Cody Eakin is by far their worst player. Every shift his line seems to get trapped in the defensive zone due to his poor play.
      Apr. 7, 2021 at 9:15 a.m.
      Shibbal18
      Quoting: BStinson

They arent getting new owners and Pegula has done fine with the Bills. You can argue that Kim needs to stay out of the hockey operations but they are also wasting a ton of money on employees that no longer work for them, and players who didnt pan out, so you can see the concern
      Apr. 7, 2021 at 9:32 a.m.
      Skinner is still a good player, Okposo is on a nice point streak 6 points in his last 7 games, 2-6-8 points. Cody Eakin is by far their worst player. Every shift his line seems to get trapped in the defensive zone due to his poor play.

Skinner may still be an NHL player but at 9M you better be a star player as you’re earning in the top 25 or so (especially as a winger). It’s much easier to scratch Eakin and recover cap than Skinner.

Quoting: Shibbal18
      They arent getting new owners and Pegula has done fine with the Bills. You can argue that Kim needs to stay out of the hockey operations but they are also wasting a ton of money on employees that no longer work for them, and players who didnt pan out, so you can see the concern

He’s done okay with football doesn’t mean he will do okay with hockey. I’d also hope he’s done well with a franchise QB being cost controlled. The concern is ineffective GM hires, bring in a competent GM/FO and don’t pressure them to make unnecessary moves.
      Apr. 7, 2021 at 9:54 a.m.
      Apollo2195
      Quoting: Radu47

For a decade

First of all this is just a fun exercise with a team that will have the most blank cap space in the modern era when cap is one of the hardest things to come by, so their is no disrespect, we all love our hockey teams.

2nd being an Islander fan I would know what it means to lose a top line center that’s considered one of the best in the league. (Tavares)

When he was here we were constantly re-tooling and tire spinning just to make him happy. It was awful here, before 2016 against the panthers I literally wasn’t alive for their previous playoff win in 93’.

When we lost him I thought we were cooked. But “trading” our best player (tavares) for a new culture (Lou and Trotz) was the greatest thing that ever happened to the isles in my lifetime.

We were in a very similar situation to you guys and although Tavares (like Eichel) was a phenomenal player we were better off in a new direction where no one was treated special. (Barzal is reprimanded constantly and is learning every game from Trotz)

We picked up culture guys and took “bad” contracts like Martin, Filpula, Komarov, etc. and made the playoffs with it. A 5 year is one id see working for you is a cup run. You can turn around from the Eichel era the next year and make the playoffs the next year because hockey is weird and unpredictable.

Love from the Island

-Apollo
      sabrespain liked this.
      Apr. 7, 2021 at 1:13 p.m.
      Olofsson should not be considered untouchable. He's been very bad at 5v5 and the one thing he's good at which is the PP, he hasn't done anything for a while. It also doesn't make sense for Reinhart to stay if Jack goes, I don't think Reinhart will want to be part of a rebuilding team for a few more years.
      Apollo2195 liked this.
      Apr. 7, 2021 at 5:34 p.m.
      Apollo2195
      Quoting: sabrespain
      Olofsson should not be considered untouchable. He's been very bad at 5v5 and the one thing he's good at which is the PP, he hasn't done anything for a while. It also doesn't make sense for Reinhart to stay if Jack goes, I don't think Reinhart will want to be part of a rebuilding team for a few more years.

I see what you mean but as an isles fan we thought the same about Lee, Nelson, Bailey, and Eberle. I thought Lou was going to burn it down and one season later Eberle and Nelson took less money to stay. It’s funny how hockey works sometimes haha

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll