SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(NJD/NYI) - Palmieri, Zajac for Greer, Jobst, 2021 1st, 2022 conditional 4th

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 7, 2021 at 9:43 p.m.
What in tarnation
Thought Palmieri would go for 2nd+3rd, like Zucc and Nyquist did. They added Zajac to the pile and made those picks are one first, which makes sense to me.

Imo it's a win-win for both teams. Maybe Islanders win here a bit, but they compensate that for the Greene overpayment of last year.
Brian2016 liked this.
Apr. 7, 2021 at 9:46 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Clearly you can’t read because I actually never said “points don’t matter”.

My final sentence on my larger comment with actual details said

Maybe the choice word of usually was wrong, but otherwise I stand by the statement of first glance stats aren’t always right.

Also, their technically is a award for those who tried the hardest. The Masterson award or the Messier award could both conceivably fit that, as well as the Jim Gregory award. And the Jack Adams; as these are all awards where winning the cup or other awards don’t really factor in.

Simply saying a point total for a player can often be misleading or not tell the whole story. Very reminiscent of “Don’t judge a book by its cover”. Which pretty much saying “he has more points therefore he’s better”, can be very wrong a lot of the time depending on who the conversation is about. Leading back to my other comment of “Perron having more points means he better than Hedman”; which is obviously a false statement.

I’m done replying as this could just go on and on, I hope you have a good one!

I'm not the one who made the comment "best player available". Go back and read the post.
Apr. 7, 2021 at 10:11 p.m.
You owe us picks
I think the inclusion of Zajac and the fact they retained drove the price up to a first. Personally, I wanted Foligno but I definitely won't complain about Palmeiro, the inclusion of Zajac baffles me though we didn't really need a 5th center. I know injuries happen, but it really wasn't a priority. A depth defenseman in my opinion would have made more sense.
Apr. 7, 2021 at 10:26 p.m.
Fair deal for both sides.

NYI got a lot out of their 1st and sends a message to their players that they are going for it.

NJ gets a 1st round pick for 2 guys they had to move anyways.
Apr. 7, 2021 at 11:07 p.m.
PULL A TAMPA IGNORE
Quoting: VijayPatel11
Man if that's all we had to give up I would have loved to do this trade for the Panthers... too bad i guess! Good job LL

He has said many times he didn't want to leave NY metro area. He grew up on long island
capfriendlyaccount liked this.
Apr. 7, 2021 at 11:45 p.m.
sensonfire
I'm seeing a lot of instant knee-jerk reactions that scream "LOU FLEECED THE DEVILS".

On the face of it, this looks like a clear win for the Islanders but something is giving me pause.

It's that 1st round pick. There's no lottery protection on it.

Does anybody remember the JG Pageau trade?

Lou got his prized player for more than a 1st round pick at the deadline last year but then things took a turn for the worst.

The Isles went on a 7 game losing streak and it only stopped because the NHL shut everything down due to the pandemic.

The Isles started to tank right after acquiring Pageau last year.

If history repeats itself with the latest additions of Lou's "prized" players and the Isles start tanking very soon like last year, that 1st round pick could skyrocket in value.

For that reason, I'm going to hold off on voting until we know where that 1st round pick ends up.

I abstain.

Like if you did too grin
Apr. 8, 2021 at 12:07 a.m.
Zajac has been exceptional in recent games. Almost like he was auditioning for a trade to the Isles. And besides, he won't even need to move. He's a 50 minute drive from Nassau Colosseum w/ normal traffic.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 12:10 a.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Thought Palmieri would go for 2nd+3rd, like Zucc and Nyquist did. They added Zajac to the pile and made those picks are one first, which makes sense to me.

Imo it's a win-win for both teams. Maybe Islanders win here a bit, but they compensate that for the Greene overpayment of last year.

I think the price for Palms was a little soft b/c of the buyer's market. I'd rather have him over Zucc and Gus for the Isles system. Last season, he'd have been about as expensive as Blake Coleman, especially if the Devils ate some of his cap hit.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 12:24 a.m.
GoJetsGo
Interesting to see some of the rumors from last year about what was offered at that deadline. Here's one that claims Heinen and a 1st was offered from the Bruins: https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/02/rumor-bruins-offer-for-kyle-palmieri.html
Also this one explaining Fitzgerald's thought process at last years deadline: https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/2020/02/25/nj-devils-why-they-didnt-trade-kyle-palmieri-nhl-trade-deadline/4858851002/
In hindsight it obviously would have been smart to do this, but I get that in the moment it's really hard to move such a huge core piece and if they didn't get the offer they wanted then it makes sense they didn't. Although I think most people would have correctly predicted that the Devils would not be a great team this year and would likely be forced to move him anyways, which is what happened.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 3:15 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
yep Isles are all in

if this does not get them past r2 I have a feeling someone's getting fired.

Lou fired coaches basically after every disappointing season back in the late 90's early 2000's with the Devils. If he fires Trotz he's insane, even if they get knocked out early. But, right now I'd consider them the team to beat in the East, as well.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 3:28 a.m.
Quoting: Dzinger18
We were all waiting for this. Sucks he didn't get traded to my Canes although the Isles need him more. Islanders definitely win this trade and its not even close. They get Palmieri AND Zajac both with 50% for a first, a 4th, a decent AHLer, and a potential bottom 6 forward. Don't know why the devils did this because the 1st is gonna be late anyways.

Personally, I think the Devils should've just extended both guys. Even rebuilding teams need veteran leadership. Maybe Zajac re-signs this summer (doubtful), but Palms is almost certainly gone for good.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 3:33 a.m.
As an Isles fan, I’m happy with this. But if we don’t win the Cup THIS YEAR, NJD wins this trade. Rentals are extremely risky, and honestly, I still don’t see this team as the frontrunner. I think this trade combined with their recent wins over the Caps make them the team to beat in their division, but after that, not sure this team beats Tampa or the West’s champ

But for now, I’ll call this a fair trade. Other than Boston, I don’t see who doesn’t what they want from this. Very much a win-win trade.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 4:11 a.m.
Banned
NYI basically got Zajac for free, which tells you how bad the market is for forwards.
I don't really think NYI won this trade. Mainly due to injury they are having to play catch up with rentals. That's not how you win trades.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 6:04 a.m.
aeroastro.MN
Quoting: Devil1122
Devils lost the trade but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Im happy all the Palmieri trades are over

How do you think Sharangovich and Kuokkanen would play without their C? Are they ready to take the step further in their game?
Apr. 8, 2021 at 6:18 a.m.
Phenchod
Quoting: yikes
Zajac, Isles legend.

U
Apr. 8, 2021 at 7:33 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
NYI gets the best forward available for a 1st round pick and also picks up a bottom 6 center in the process. Good deal for both sides

The Islanders got the what now?

Screenshot_20210408-0731132.pngScreenshot_20210408-0732252.png
Apr. 8, 2021 at 7:48 a.m.
Lou knows what he is getting This looks like a buyers market. Sent two AHLers back and one is a UFA. Remember everybody knows Lou needs players now with his captain out. I was surprised Buffalo couldn't get at least a 2nd and 4th from Montreal. Bergavain spent a lot of money this year and had 2 2nd round picks and 9 picks in the middle 3 rounds. Was interest in Staal that low??
Apr. 8, 2021 at 7:55 a.m.
Quoting: awsomemathews
Lou knows what he is getting This looks like a buyers market. Sent two AHLers back and one is a UFA. Remember everybody knows Lou needs players now with his captain out. I was surprised Buffalo couldn't get at least a 2nd and 4th from Montreal. Bergavain spent a lot of money this year and had 2 2nd round picks and 9 picks in the middle 3 rounds. Was interest in Staal that low??

Staal was slightly less than ok while in Buffalo, but it looked like he didn't want to be there right from the start.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:14 a.m.
Who looks good in Buffalo? Staal can fill in the middle and help the PP. Toronto was trading a second pick for a depth centremen every year until old Spezza got there.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:38 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Kingcong3930
The Islanders got the what now?

Screenshot_20210408-0731132.pngScreenshot_20210408-0732252.png

Guess it pays off to be playing with Eichel and Reinhart eh?
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:59 a.m.
Points literally mean nothing.

awesome face
Apr. 8, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15

Very classy.

applaud
Apr. 8, 2021 at 9:10 a.m.
Yes, best UFA forward available.

Nah not really
Apr. 8, 2021 at 9:17 a.m.
Buljujarvi
Quoting: Random2152
In a major buyers market NJ still got a 1st. Didn't look like anyone else was offering that, so good for them.

The best part of this trade though is Zajac's inclusion.
I genuinely believe that Lou's memory started going around 2012 and the only players he can remember are the devils from that year. He keeps trying to trade for them. I just find it funny

Henrique to NYI? 👀
Apr. 8, 2021 at 9:22 a.m.
Not yet trannycided
Even with the market conditions, I still think NJD could've gotten more. Still, the trade benefits both teams.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit