SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Tampa Bay Lightning

Syracuse Crunch Game 16 & Prospect Quick Update

Apr. 8, 2021 at 12:50 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
Edited Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:07 p.m.
Well, the last I did this I wrote an essay and the Crunch were sitting at 1-4-1 on the season. I will try to keep it short now and focus on select prospects because they are now at 9-6-1 after putting all of the pieces together. They won an OT game last night against Rochester (Buffalo Sabres) that required a come back effort after initially being down 0-2. It was a really good performance by the team since playing from behind has been their achilles heel all year long.

Since I posted my last update the WHL and QMJHL players have returned to their CHL teams now that their leagues have started up. The OHL players are the only ones still left, but their game counts have diminished in recent games. This includes Declan McDonnell and Cole Schwindt (FLA).

Last night's game started with these lines:
Boris Katchouk - Mitchell Stephens - Alex Barre-Boulet
Grigori Denisenko (FLA) - Otto Somppi - Serron Noel (FLA)
Gabe Fortier - Antoine Morand - Taylor Raddysh
Henry Bowbly (FLA) - Odeen Tufto - Jimmy Huntington

Devante Stephens - Luke Witkowski
Sean Day - Alex Green
Dmitry Semykin - Noah Juulsen (FLA)

Sam Montembeault

The lines under Groulx seem to be switched up quite a bit. My observation was Raddysh ended up playing with Katchouk and Stephens as the game went on and Barre-Boulet was matched up with Tufto in his AHL debut.

Select Prospects
Alex Barre-Boulet
Last 3 Games: 3GP 3G 0A +2
BB has been paired up with the new guys lately. The first two games here he was with Antoine Morand (acquired in Volkov trade) and just last night with Odeen Tufto. Regardless of sheparding the news guys, as it may seem, he's still found ways to get on the board and be a crucial part of Syracuse's offense. The main thing I want to beat home on BB is after watching him quite a bit this year his hockey IQ when he has the puck on his stick is off the charts. He always knows where to go with the puck and has a heck of a shot for when he chooses to use it. I hope we don't lose him due to any circumstance.

Alex Green
Last 3 Games: 3GP 1G 3A +1
Green has been protected most of the season, but due to injuries and players being called up to Tampa and Florida from the right side of the defense he has found himself as the #1 or #2 RHD depending on what position Witkowski wants to play any given game. Green has far exceeded my expectations. He's a steady defenseman, makes a solid breakout pass, skates well, and has stepped in to QB both power play units seamlessly when needed. I'm going to say he's on the NHL path at this point. Might only be as good as a third pairing guy, but he's going to make it IMO.

Ben Thomas
Last 3 Games: 0GP
I'll keep Thomas' short, but he has taken a clear step forward this year to be one of the best, if not the best, defenseman on the team. He's been rewarded with an NHL stint and I think he's shown he's depth we can rely on going forward.

Mitchell Stephens
Last 3 Games: 3GP 1G 4A 0
There's not much to say about Stephens. He's fully healthy and clearly a level above the AHLers he's playing against. He'll be back with Tampa soon.

Daniel Walcott
Last 3 Games: 1 GP 0G 0A +1
Walcott has been seemingly randomly called up to Lightning after our last game. He's recently been part of AHL line similar to the Gourde playoff line consisting of Walcott-Huntington-Witkowski. I think that line shuts down the AHL competition, but individually Walcott could probably make a difference on the 4th line in the NHL too. I'll let Witkowski and Cooper say the rest on Walcott.

Boris Katchouk
Last 3 Games: 3GP 2G 4A +2
Katchouk is good. He's always been the better defensive player compared to Raddysh and has now finally matched, if not exceeded, Raddysh's offensive production. Lightning depth of players who play the LW in the Bottom 6 might keep him out of the NHL full-time for another year after this, but he'll make it eventually. Katchouk currently leads the Crunch in scoring on the year.

Antoine Morand
Last 3 Games: 3GP 1G 0A 0
Our coveted trade piece we received in the Volkov trade. He scored the 1st goal of the game in his debut with Syracuse. He has a nice shot and has a set of wheels, but he's going to get lost in the lineup and doesn't look to have anything that's going to differentiate him from 12+ other forwards trying to make it to the NHL. I think he'll be good for Syracuse though.

Odeen Tufto
Last 3 Games: 1GP 0G 0A 0
In Tufto's AHL debut you could immediately see why the Lightning wanted him out of college. He's on the older side at 24 years old, but he's not going to need long to be up to speed. Hokey IQ probably close to BB's and the playmaking talent is as advertised. He set up Semykin on a cross-ice pass that went in for a goal but was waved off, and also had a nice zone entry that led to a little dump off to BB that easily could have gone in. Additionally, he did not look lost on the 2nd PP unit. He sees the ice very well and has a great pass to go with it. I know what I'm thinking on Tufto's potential, but I am going to wait for it to be confirmed so I don't make a fool of myself. Maybe next update smile

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll