SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Vancouver Canucks signed Tanner Pearson (3 Years / $3,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 8, 2021 at 6:47 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
That fact this has a NTC just makes it terrible when you look at who really needs the NTC and money this coming offseason.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 6:51 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
LMAO

Jim Benning does it again hahahaha

Quoting: LindyRuffRider
Jim loves his mediocre middle 6 guys.

Quoting: CLR
Another bottom 6 player paid too much for VAN. Toffoli makes 4,25m$....

Quoting: Trickster
So which RFA is Vancouver losing cause this spells cap trouble .

Quoting: doogiski
God damnit Jim, stop overvaluing the intangibles in ageing forwards.

Quoting: Saskleaf
To play in Vancouver's bottom 6, the first digit of your cap hit must be 3.

Quoting: Emoon
Why? He'll be pushed down by Hoglander and Podkolzin, good chance he ends up as another poor bottom 6 contract.

Quoting: faulkmydzingel
At least it wasn't 6 Million

Quoting: AndrewLadd
Tyler Toffoli makes like 1 mil more lol

Quoting: TheNorthStar
You'd think Benning would learn after last offseason...

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I personally think it’s an okay deal Pearson is a good middle 6 player and it’s a good cap hit

Quoting: aadoyle
yep, now lets wait for the Petterson for Manson trade lul

Tanner Pearson ($3,250,000)

33 Games Played
06 Goals
05 Assists
11 Points
----------------
14 Goals / 82 Games
27 Points / 82 Games

Tyler Toffoli ($4,250,000)

33 Games Played
19 Goals
11 Assists
30 Points
----------------
47 Goals / 82 Games
75 Points / 82 Games
Trickster, Tarlam01, AndrewLadd and 7 others liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 6:53 p.m.
Juraj Slapshotsky
The legend says that Jim Benning is going to be a buyer this TDL
Apr. 8, 2021 at 6:58 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Wqrrior
People like to laugh at Benning before all else.

Lets counter some arguments:
- they kept pearson but not toffoli: yes. We have room next year. There was no room last year.

- now there's no cap for the big RFAs: benning has proven that he is very good at dealing with RFAs, assuming 7x3 for both players, there's still plenty of cap to work with. More if Loui is bought out and Beagle rides LTIR (his injury seems bad)

- pearson isn't worth this money in this market: Probably not, but how much of an overpay is it? A quarter million? He was a huge asset for the team last year and has taken a step back like everyone else. His impact on improving Horvat's game is alone worth it. This is a locker room guy to the same extent as Tanev or Markstrom.

tldr: this is a bit more money than I was wanting, but not to the level of laughing at. even if he plays the 3rd line, he's the first player we have had in that role that looks like a decent bottom sixer in some time. Good signing? Nah.... but it ain't a bad one either.

We're lauging at Bim because a better player with a similar contract that runs for less term just got traded as a cap dump TODAY.
Pearson isn't very good, this is a wild overpay on a team that cannot afford to have one
jpsnow13 and Trickster liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 7:02 p.m.
As a nucks fan, I am deeply disturbed by this signing.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 7:03 p.m.
GoJetsGo
Quoting: doogiski
9 of his 45pts were goals or assists on empty nets...

Even if you say he only had 36, that's still over 0.5 pts/game. 43 point pace... that's not bad for a middle six guy. And good for a 3rd liner, which is what he's getting paid like.
Tntpod liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 7:10 p.m.
GoJetsGo

- they kept pearson but not toffoli: yes. We have room next year. There was no room last year.

- now there's no cap for the big RFAs: benning has proven that he is very good at dealing with RFAs, assuming 7x3 for both players, there's still plenty of cap to work with. More if Loui is bought out and Beagle rides LTIR (his injury seems bad)

- pearson isn't worth this money in this market: Probably not, but how much of an overpay is it? A quarter million? He was a huge asset for the team last year and has taken a step back like everyone else. His impact on improving Horvat's game is alone worth it. This is a locker room guy to the same extent as Tanev or Markstrom.

tldr: this is a bit more money than I was wanting, but not to the level of laughing at. even if he plays the 3rd line, he's the first player we have had in that role that looks like a decent bottom sixer in some time. Good signing? Nah.... but it ain't a bad one either.

Yeah, and another thing: If you think the money is reasonable (I do), then it actually helps fend of Benning's biggest weakness: signing massive overpays on July 1st. The best way to prevent bad contracts is to sign good contracts, because it won't leave you the cap room for bad ones. The teams that are most succeptable to signing bad deals are the ones that have lots of room for it, because they usually feel the need to use their space to improve the team. If they are a bad team, this can result in overpaying to attract players. By bringing back Pearson they lock in a solid deal.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 7:17 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Vancouver should do what Chicago does. Not this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 7:34 p.m.

Lets counter your counter arguments as well:

OG - Why keep Pearson but not Toffoli? (Correct).
YOU - We have room next year. There was no room last year (Wrong).
FACTS - They had room for Schmidt ($6,000,000) + Holtby ($4,300,000) + Virtanen ($2,600,000).

OG - Pearson isn't worth this money in this market (Correct).
YOU - Probably not (Good start ... should've stopped there).
FACTS - And he's especially not worth it for an extremely cap-crunched team with their 2 best players unsigned.

OG - Now there's no cap for the big RFAs (Correct).
YOU - Benning has proven that he is very good at dealing with RFAs (Wrong).
FACTS - Virtanen was just overpaid + Demko's cap-hit is 2-4 times larger than every comparable (and all had a higher career SV%).

$5,000,000 x 5 years (age 25) | after 60 NHL games | career 0.911 SV% | Thatcher Demko
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$1,300,000 x 1 years (age 25) | after 60 NHL games | career 0.911 SV% | Linus Ullmark
$1,500,000 x 3 years (age 24) | after 50 NHL games | career 0.924 SV% | Juuse Saros
$1,600,000 x 2 years (age 26) | after 40 NHL games | career 0.928 SV% | Jack Campbell
$2,400,000 x 2 years (age 24) | after 80 NHL games | career 0.913 SV% | Alex Georgiev
$2,800,000 x 3 years (age 24) | after 70 NHL games | career 0.916 SV% | Mac Blackwood

TLDR - Get wrecked by the facts son.
Saskleaf, Trickster and doogiski liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 7:54 p.m.
Quoting: capfriendlyaccount
Even if you say he only had 36, that's still over 0.5 pts/game. 43 point pace... that's not bad for a middle six guy. And good for a 3rd liner, which is what he's getting paid like.

So your argument is that his 2019-20 points/game pace makes this extension reasonable?

2019-20 Season = 0.52 points/game = 43 point pace

What if I told you that these seasons exist as well, and that Tanner Pearson played in them too?

2020-21 Season = 0.33 points/game = 27 point pace
2018-19 Season = 0.33 points/game = 27 point pace

Did I just blow your mind?
Trickster liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 7:54 p.m.
"I have learned nothing"

- Jim Benning
BCAPP liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:19 p.m.
GoJetsGo
Quoting: drewjenkins
So your argument is that his 2019-20 points/game pace makes this extension reasonable?

2019-20 Season = 0.52 points/game = 43 point pace

What if I told you that these seasons exist as well, and that Tanner Pearson played in them too?

2020-21 Season = 0.33 points/game = 27 point pace
2018-19 Season = 0.33 points/game = 27 point pace

Did I just blow your mind?

No. I knew he wasn't very good in 18-19, IIRC he started slow on a bad Kings team, and didn't really find his place in Pittsburgh. Doesn't change the fact that he's had a 0.56 pts/game pace in Vancouver, and he had a 0.5 pts/game pace in LA from 15-16 to 17-18. He also has 0.46 points/game for his career. I consider those two years to be the outliers, and not the rules.
Also, bolding every second sentence doesn't improve your argument just FYI smile
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:21 p.m.
No. I knew he wasn't very good in 18-19, IIRC he started slow on a bad Kings team, and didn't really find his place in Pittsburgh. Doesn't change the fact that he's had a 0.56 pts/game pace in Vancouver, and he had a 0.5 pts/game pace in LA from 15-16 to 17-18. He also has 0.46 points/game for his career. I consider those two years to be the outliers, and not the rules.
Also, bolding every second sentence doesn't improve your argument just FYI smile

So you're ignoring this years stats?

Got it.
BCAPP and Trickster liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:31 p.m.
Will he ever learn to stop prioritizing signing 3rd liners to 3 million dollar contracts?

Use them to fill out the team but stop signing so many
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:31 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins
Tanner Pearson ($3,250,000)

33 Games Played
06 Goals
05 Assists
11 Points
----------------
14 Goals / 82 Games
27 Points / 82 Games

Tyler Toffoli ($4,250,000)

33 Games Played
19 Goals
11 Assists
30 Points
----------------
47 Goals / 82 Games
75 Points / 82 Games

To be fair you should compare what they did before signing the contract
capfriendlyaccount liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:37 p.m.
Am I the only one who doesn't actually mind this? Dude had 45 points last year. Last year he had a career year, this year he's having a down year. I find it likely that next year will be somewhere in the middle, which would land him in the middle six range. 3.25 for a 3rd line player isn't too bad IMO.

On many teams it's fine.

The big problem is it represents Benning not learning his lesson. Stop signing 3rd liners (or in beagles case 4th liners) for moderate money as a priority. Sign your core and then flesh it out as needed.

The team doesn't really have the cap space to do it.
Trickster liked this.
Quoting: aadoyle
instead of trading this guy to salvage some picks than resigning him next offseason

NAH IM SIGNING THIS GUY NOW **** IT, DONT CARE WE AINT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS LUL

man Benning really is trying to become the worst GM next to Chirelli.

Well he can't trade him as hes on ir with the rest of the team
sensonfire
Pearson regressed from last year but his salary/cap hit barely regressed in this contract extension.

His contract extension has signing bonus money for the last year of it, which is likely the year he'll be at his worst as an aging hockey player.

There's an NTC in the first year of this contract extension that was negotiated and signed just days before the trade deadline, which is a bit funny to say the least.

Also, he's on IR and might have Covid.

Yeah, this is bad.

I voted no.

Like if you did too grin
Trickster liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:39 p.m.
I don't really think resigning Pearson blocks those guys at all. And luckily for them Sutter and Baertschi are expiring which will free up some room. Navigating the cap will be tight, but possible. If I were them I'd probably go with something like this: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2323767.

Who signed baertschi and Sutter? Whoever did that hopefully learned their lesson to stop signing third liners lime that..
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:40 p.m.
Seems about right. Not sure what ppl are complaining about? Whether Van should be resigning him or not based on where they are going is a different argument but the value of the deal itself is fair.

I don't think they should be resigning this guy personally but seeing as they did, at least it wasn't a bad contract. 3.25M for a career 40 point guy is decent. 1 bad season doesn't undue everything he did previously. For crying out loud, he'd be at his career average with just a couple more points this year....
Apr. 8, 2021 at 8:42 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Seems about right. Not sure what ppl are complaining about? Whether Van should be resigning him or not based on where they are going is a different argument but the value of the deal itself is fair.

I don't think they should be resigning this guy personally but seeing as they did, at least it wasn't a bad contract. 3.25M for a career 40 point guy is decent. 1 bad season doesn't undue everything he did previously. For crying out loud, he'd be at his career average with just a couple more points this year....

To me the problem is it's a sign of Benning not learning his lesson and containing to prioritize signing third liners to depth money early
Apr. 8, 2021 at 9:21 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
To me the problem is it's a sign of Benning not learning his lesson and containing to prioritize signing third liners to depth money early

Absolutely. I would have let him walk too but with that said comparing Pearson to Beagle and Roussell isn't fair. Both those guys were never worth their contracts. Pearson is. Frankly Ferland was worth his contract too but the injuries have just taken him out of it.

Roussel and Beagle are and always were 4th liners. Pearson is a legit 3rd liner who can move up the lineup and is worth his contract. I get the 3M+, 3rd line player thing but the problem was the other guys, not so much Pearson.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 9:30 p.m.
I make Articals.
Though this means we will keep Pearson, the Canucks now have a smaller chance of resigning other players in the off season like for example, Alex Edler.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 9:32 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Absolutely. I would have let him walk too but with that said comparing Pearson to Beagle and Roussell isn't fair. Both those guys were never worth their contracts. Pearson is. Frankly Ferland was worth his contract too but the injuries have just taken him out of it.

Roussel and Beagle are and always were 4th liners. Pearson is a legit 3rd liner who can move up the lineup and is worth his contract. I get the 3M+, 3rd line player thing but the problem was the other guys, not so much Pearson.

Eh Pearson has been bad 2 of the last 3 years.

Roussel was a step below Pearson at his best but he was a consistent 12-14 goal scorer which is a 3rs liner. I doubt I would have noticed the Roussel contract if he didn't also sign beagle.

But there was also baertschi.

It's not an awful contract in a vacuum but I just hate it as a representative of bennings moves

(I don't love signing the guy in the middle of a ****ty season when 2 of his last 3 seasons sucked)
F50marco liked this.
Apr. 8, 2021 at 9:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: BCAPP
Well he can't trade him as hes on ir with the rest of the team

he got hurt before the Covid blowout and is not on the list of players with the virus. He was expected to be back the week of the deadline but even then Benning wanted to keep him instead. Teams (especially Canadian ones) would have taken the chance as no 7 day quarantine and he was already away from the team before the covid explosion so less of a chance he had it.
BCAPP liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit