Forums/Armchair-GM

What I hope for at the TDL

Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 9, 2021
Published: Apr. 9, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
TOR
  1. Laughton, Scott ($1,150,000 retained)
PHI
  1. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
  2. 2022 4th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
4th is conditional of moving to a 3rd if the Leafs make the cup final.
NJD
  1. 2021 5th round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$78,474,741$0$0$3,025,259
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 2
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 9, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
Looks pretty good. I would like to get a 3rd pair/depth RD instead of oleksiak but I don’t really see any available.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 12:09 p.m.
Dubas intern
Wow, I also want both of these players and I think it represents adequate value for both Oleksiak and Laughton, so good job in this. However I saw last night that it doesnt look like Oleksiak is going to be dealt so there goes that I guess, and I would replace him with either Dmitri Kulikov or Jon Merrill, both who would be much cheaper than Oleksiak (probably a mid round pick).
Apr. 9, 2021 at 12:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: CeciGOAT
Looks pretty good. I would like to get a 3rd pair/depth RD instead of oleksiak but I don’t really see any available.

Bogosian has been fine and if someone gets hurt Dermott can play the right side or Liljegren may get a chance.
CeciGOAT liked this.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 12:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ykammer
Wow, I also want both of these players and I think it represents adequate value for both Oleksiak and Laughton, so good job in this. However I saw last night that it doesnt look like Oleksiak is going to be dealt so there goes that I guess, and I would replace him with either Dmitri Kulikov or Jon Merrill, both who would be much cheaper than Oleksiak (probably a mid round pick).

Sure sounds good to me
Apr. 9, 2021 at 12:20 p.m.
take out the conditional 4th, make it a 3rd and that deal goes through today. But some sanity reigns!!!!

i think you pay a 2nd and a bit more for laughton and the 4th is for the retention, so a 2nd and 3rd sound good, but you know that from me already
Apr. 9, 2021 at 12:22 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
I think we could get a 3rd for Kulikov
Apr. 9, 2021 at 12:25 p.m.
Go leafs go
I'd be happy with this.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 12:28 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Hammerwise
take out the conditional 4th, make it a 3rd and that deal goes through today. But some sanity reigns!!!!

i think you pay a 2nd and a bit more for laughton and the 4th is for the retention, so a 2nd and 3rd sound good, but you know that from me already

Well if the Leafs are as good as I think the are, you will get your 3rd anyways.
Hammerwise and Britishbulldog liked this.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 12:29 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Devil1122
I think we could get a 3rd for Kulikov

Absolutely not. He's a 7th defenceman in buyer's market. You got a 1st and 2 nothing prospects and a conditional 4th for 2 way better players. Not a chance you'll get a 3rd for a guy who is hopefully in the press box for the whole playoffs.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 1:27 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Like the Flyers deal, thoughts on 3ish million per year extension to Laugton??

Dont feel we need a D man but you want insurance guy... sure but should cost less IMO.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 1:50 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Trickster
Like the Flyers deal, thoughts on 3ish million per year extension to Laugton??

Dont feel we need a D man but you want insurance guy... sure but should cost less IMO.

I think you don't do any contracts until after the expansion draft. 1st you extend Hyman if possible but I don't want to spend more than 4 for 4 on him. Then I would talk to Rielly about extending. Get those done then see what you have to work with. Maybe bring Bogosian back as a 6/7 defenceman to play behind Liljegren and let Sandin have the 3LD spot. Hopefully Seattle takes Kerfoot. Look at a guy like Ulmark on a 2 year deal to play with Campbell who you should also look at giving a 3 year 2.5 million dollar deal or there abouts.

After all that, if you can get Loughton done, give him a 2 year deal if he's interested.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 4:15 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
I think you don't do any contracts until after the expansion draft. 1st you extend Hyman if possible but I don't want to spend more than 4 for 4 on him. Then I would talk to Rielly about extending. Get those done then see what you have to work with. Maybe bring Bogosian back as a 6/7 defenceman to play behind Liljegren and let Sandin have the 3LD spot. Hopefully Seattle takes Kerfoot. Look at a guy like Ulmark on a 2 year deal to play with Campbell who you should also look at giving a 3 year 2.5 million dollar deal or there abouts.

After all that, if you can get Loughton done, give him a 2 year deal if he's interested.

I think we need Hyman under 4 million.
It will be hard, might have to go 6 years to make it happen.

Rielly, I either want him to walk OR trade him.
He is not a #1 D man, he should be having a career year playing next to Brodie but instead he is maybe average.

Do I have answer how to replace him? Nope.
But you cant say Rielly is #1 guy.

Go look at other teams #1 guys and see how they are producing Vs Rielly.
Hes not even defensive gem either, maybe average to slightly above average at best.

Bogosian has played well, well enough to earn a term deal and we need to have 2 of following 3 playing regularly for us next season :

Dermott Sandin, and Liljergen

Agree that Seattle is likely taking Kerfoot as they will have better D options from other teams.

I like going with Ullmark too.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Banned
I think we need Hyman under 4 million.
It will be hard, might have to go 6 years to make it happen.

Rielly, I either want him to walk OR trade him.
He is not a #1 D man, he should be having a career year playing next to Brodie but instead he is maybe average.

Do I have answer how to replace him? Nope.
But you cant say Rielly is #1 guy.

Go look at other teams #1 guys and see how they are producing Vs Rielly.
Hes not even defensive gem either, maybe average to slightly above average at best.

Bogosian has played well, well enough to earn a term deal and we need to have 2 of following 3 playing regularly for us next season :

Dermott Sandin, and Liljergen

Agree that Seattle is likely taking Kerfoot as they will have better D options from other teams.

I like going with Ullmark too.

I just can't respect anyone with such a wrong take on Rielly. He's doing great this year. He's a force and if you make a mistake he can make you pay. The one thing that is different for him now than when he had his huge season is the system. Under Babs it was a North South game. Rielly got the puck and they bombed it up ice for a rush chance and he piled up points. This season the team is far more a cycle team. Get the puck, keep it and wait for your optimal chance. Which is spreading out the offence a lot more. Rielly is still good defensively, he isn't Hedman but he's better than a guy like Nurse who is getting praise for playing half his minutes with McDavid or Draisaitl. Look at the article Yost did for TSN on Nurse. He's two different players in one. Terrific when McDavid is on the ice and well below average without him on the ice. Rielly has been good all year. He'll get burned evey once and a while but he burns guys way more often so I take it for what it is. He's absolutely a #1.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 8:00 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I just can't respect anyone with such a wrong take on Rielly. He's doing great this year. He's a force and if you make a mistake he can make you pay. The one thing that is different for him now than when he had his huge season is the system. Under Babs it was a North South game. Rielly got the puck and they bombed it up ice for a rush chance and he piled up points. This season the team is far more a cycle team. Get the puck, keep it and wait for your optimal chance. Which is spreading out the offence a lot more. Rielly is still good defensively, he isn't Hedman but he's better than a guy like Nurse who is getting praise for playing half his minutes with McDavid or Draisaitl. Look at the article Yost did for TSN on Nurse. He's two different players in one. Terrific when McDavid is on the ice and well below average without him on the ice. Rielly has been good all year. He'll get burned evey once and a while but he burns guys way more often so I take it for what it is. He's absolutely a #1.

I didnt name names you did.
But yes 10000% he is not Hedman.

And I would never want Nurse over Rielly.

But I can give you names of guys I would like over Rielly.

Hedman
McAvoy
Werenski
Giard
Makar
Chabot
Lindholm
Josi
Ellis
Morrissey
Ekblade
Jones
Carlson
Pietrangelo
Hughes
Dahlin
Klingberg
Heiskanen

Are these guys available? No
Are they or will they be better then Rielly? I think so.
Yes points are not everything but these guys are or will become elite enough to be considered #1 guys.

You talking about Leafs being better cycle team etc... while true the above guys would still make an impact enough to be #1. Yes points are not everything but Rielly is not defensive stalwart either. A #1 guy has to be elite.

How is Rielly elite?
Next issue is what does Rielly new dealc ook like?
He will likely get more than 5 million, what has he done to earn that?

Win a Norris? Nope.
Norris nominee? Nope.
Defensively elite? No sir.

Why is Rielly a #1 D man?
I would love to hear a factual reason here.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 9:02 p.m.
Banned
I didnt name names you did.
But yes 10000% he is not Hedman.

And I would never want Nurse over Rielly.

But I can give you names of guys I would like over Rielly.

Hedman
McAvoy
Werenski
Giard
Makar
Chabot
Lindholm
Josi
Ellis
Morrissey
Ekblade
Jones
Carlson
Pietrangelo
Hughes
Dahlin
Klingberg
Heiskanen

Are these guys available? No
Are they or will they be better then Rielly? I think so.
Yes points are not everything but these guys are or will become elite enough to be considered #1 guys.

You talking about Leafs being better cycle team etc... while true the above guys would still make an impact enough to be #1. Yes points are not everything but Rielly is not defensive stalwart either. A #1 guy has to be elite.

How is Rielly elite?
Next issue is what does Rielly new dealc ook like?
He will likely get more than 5 million, what has he done to earn that?

Win a Norris? Nope.
Norris nominee? Nope.
Defensively elite? No sir.

Why is Rielly a #1 D man?
I would love to hear a factual reason here.

Rielly is better than several of these guys.

I know you don't like Rielly and I think you look for reasons to reinforce this opinion. Like when McDavid and Nurse score in OT with Rielly defending on the 2 on 1, its Rielly's fault. He pinches and it goes the other way and the high forward doesn't do his job to back him and its Rielly's fault. He can be beaten on one on ones from time to time. But he's far better defensively than people give him credit for. He gets blamed for way too much mainly because people look for reasons to blame him.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 9:28 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Rielly is better than several of these guys.

I know you don't like Rielly and I think you look for reasons to reinforce this opinion. Like when McDavid and Nurse score in OT with Rielly defending on the 2 on 1, its Rielly's fault. He pinches and it goes the other way and the high forward doesn't do his job to back him and its Rielly's fault. He can be beaten on one on ones from time to time. But he's far better defensively than people give him credit for. He gets blamed for way too much mainly because people look for reasons to blame him.

Why do you keep bringing up Nurse and the Oilers?
Is Nurse the that list?

Nope, in fact I said I wouldnt want Nurse over Rielly.

Try answering the questions I asked.

And while you keep bringing up that Nurse plays with McDavid and Draisaitl,dont forget that Rielly gets to play with Matthews and Marner who are no slouches either.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 9:34 p.m.
Banned
Why do you keep bringing up Nurse and the Oilers?
Is Nurse the that list?

Nope, in fact I said I wouldnt want Nurse over Rielly.

Try answering the questions I asked.

And while you keep bringing up that Nurse plays with McDavid and Draisaitl,dont forget that Rielly gets to play with Matthews and Marner who are no slouches either.

Can you answer a quick question? How does that statement I make refer to Nurse at all beyond listing him as a member of a 2 on 1? Nurse is just a circumstantial part of the statement. The point is, you look for reason to blame Rielly for issues that are not his fault. Forget I even mentioned Nurse. The point was a 2 on 1 happens in OT and the opposition scores and its Rielly's fault. Rielly takes the puck up ice and creates a chance and the high forward doesn't cover and its Rielly's fault. Guys like you look for reason to justify your belief that Rielly sucks for some weird reason. He may not be the best defenceman but he's top 10 in the league. To deny that you just don't want to like him.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 9:37 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Can you answer a quick question? How does that statement I make refer to Nurse at all beyond listing him as a member of a 2 on 1? Nurse is just a circumstantial part of the statement. The point is, you look for reason to blame Rielly for issues that are not his fault. Forget I even mentioned Nurse. The point was a 2 on 1 happens in OT and the opposition scores and its Rielly's fault. Rielly takes the puck up ice and creates a chance and the high forward doesn't cover and its Rielly's fault. Guys like you look for reason to justify your belief that Rielly sucks for some weird reason. He may not be the best defenceman but he's top 10 in the league. To deny that you just don't want to like him.

So rather answering my questions you asked your own.
I'll answer when you answer mine.

I just want facts to why you think Rielly is a #1, so far you only given opinon
Apr. 9, 2021 at 10:14 p.m.
Banned
So rather answering my questions you asked your own.
I'll answer when you answer mine.

I just want facts to why you think Rielly is a #1, so far you only given opinon

Rielly is one of the best defenceman in the game at creating offensive chances. Top 5 without question. This year he's way better defensively than he was last year when he was injured for most of the year. He was dominant in the playoffs but it just didn't go our way. This is Gardiner all over again but just hands down worse. Gardiner wasn't bad but he made a couple of mistakes a game that cost him. I do wonder if Keefe's system would have be so good for him but who cares. In regards to Rielly, he does so many good things every game but guys like you will only point to one play (if it happens) as to why he's bad defensively. Often those reasons are not even his fault but he was near the play and didn't make a play. Like when a couple of games ago when we lost to Edmonton guys blamed Rielly for losing on a 2 on 1 with McDavid and Nurse. Could Rielly have made a play? Maybe but I'd bet on McDavid 9 out of 10 times, he's the best player in the world in that situation. That same guy complaining wouldn't have had a thing to say had Matthews and Marner scored on the 2 on 1 they had 5 seconds before hand that Rielly had a hand in creating. This is Rielly, if he makes a bad move 1 out of 10 times, that's all some will see. That one time.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll