Additional Details:
Hall extends at $6.5M/5y
BUF
  1. Broberg, Philip
  2. Neal, James
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
  4. 2022 3rd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
EDM 2022 3rd Round Pick upgrades to the EDM 2022 1st if Edmonton reaches the Stanley Cup Finals in either 2021 or 2022
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$74,860,699$341,534$730,000$6,639,301

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Gusev, Nikita
$1,500,000$1,500,000
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 6
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$0$0
LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 5
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 4
$975,000$975,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$3,125,000$3,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 3
$915,000$915,000
C
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$1,650,000$1,650,000 ($575,000$575K$575,000$575K)
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
RFA - 3
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 9, 2021 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
That Avalanche season whas anomalous; they already had a playoff-calibre team that year but ran into some incredibly poor luck and injury troubles. Look at some of the trades Sakic made from that roster to the one he has today. They were a good team that drafted well and won some very important trades.

Comparing them to the Sabres is intellectually dishonest and borderline ridiculous. The Sabres haven't been good in effectively a decade. They don't draft well at all. The haven't won a trade in recent memory.

Jokiharu for Nylander - Win
Your just negging right now, doesn’t make what I said untrue. And how did they have a playoff team before that unlucky year when they hadn’t qualified for the 2 years prior and had losing records both seasons? What happened was they had the right foundation, made smart decisions, and smart signings. Buffalo probably won’t do it, and they will probably be bad.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
I have. Johnson was overdrafted and isn't even a lock to sign with the Sabres once he's done in college. Sammuelsson is an NHL option absolutely, but is already lagging behind Broberg in terms of skillset and ceiling. Broberg matched Sammy's numbers in a substantially harder league, played more minutes, and has performed better than Mattias at every level.

And this is where you lost it. Johnson not a lock? Really? They are talking about possibly signing him yet this season. He’s had a great year and is the Sabres number 2 prospect behind Quinn and ahead of Peterka and Samuelson. You don’t know the Sabres prospects just because you read one article 2 years ago on them
Apr. 9, 2021 at 3:36 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Lsendel3
And this is where you lost it. Johnson not a lock? Really? They are talking about possibly signing him yet this season. He’s had a great year and is the Sabres number 2 prospect behind Quinn and ahead of Peterka and Samuelson. You don’t know the Sabres prospects just because you read one article 2 years ago on them

6th as per Wheeler in the 2021 prospect rankings. If you want I'll dig deeper, but you aren't even being honest about your own team.

Better than Cozens to start the year? Better than UPL? Get out of here.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 3:40 p.m.
6th as per Wheeler in the 2021 prospect rankings. If you want I'll dig deeper, but you aren't even being honest about your own team.

Better than Cozens to start the year? Better than UPL? Get out of here.

Don’t consider Cozens a prospect, and should have qualified it as skaters. Goalies, as you know, are such an unknown. UPL looks promising, but I have seen enough high drafted goalies not make it, and low drafted become HoFers that nothing would surprise me with goalies.

This doesn’t change the stance that even if Broberg would be better, and I’ll even concede he might/probably would, the far greater concern and has been for 5+ years has been the forward ranks
Apr. 9, 2021 at 3:45 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Don’t consider Cozens a prospect, and should have qualified it as skaters. Goalies, as you know, are such an unknown. UPL looks promising, but I have seen enough high drafted goalies not make it, and low drafted become HoFers that nothing would surprise me with goalies.

Cozen won't be a prospect by the start of next season no, but as a player with no NHL games played by the time this season started, he very much qualified as a prospect.

I never particularly understood why people are afraid to assess goaltenders, or at the very least, recognize that they are hockey players. I doubt every team has a goaltending prospect that deserves to be ranked in their top-10 lists, but names like Askarov, Knight, even UPL, have enough of a track record that their development can be modeled to an extent.

They're absolutely a product of the players in front of them, much more so than a skater, but he's still a prospect nonetheless.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 3:47 p.m.
Cozen won't be a prospect by the start of next season no, but as a player with no NHL games played by the time this season started, he very much qualified as a prospect.

I never particularly understood why people are afraid to assess goaltenders, or at the very least, recognize that they are hockey players. I doubt every team has a goaltending prospect that deserves to be ranked in their top-10 lists, but names like Askarov, Knight, even UPL, have enough of a track record that their development can be modeled to an extent.

They're absolutely a product of the players in front of them, much more so than a skater, but he's still a prospect nonetheless.

Fair enough, counting those two guys, yes would push Johnson down. See my edit to the box you just quoted. Possibly find some middle ground here?
Apr. 9, 2021 at 4:03 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Fair enough, counting those two guys, yes would push Johnson down. See my edit to the box you just quoted. Possibly find some middle ground here?

I personally would be fine with the organization allowing Savoie to shake loose in exchange for something long-term, but I know for an absolute fact that the vast majority of the Oilers fanbase is head-over-heels for the kid. Local boy, mid-round draft success, red-hot first year of college. I think his inclusion, along with Broberg's, probably eliminates any notion of a 2022 pick above a conditional third upgrading to a 2nd. If you wanted to substitute him for Broberg and make the 2022 pick guaranteed, I could be talked into it.

Hall (50% retained) for Neal, Savoie, 2022 1st, and 2023 mid/late pick might work if the prioritization is a forward as opposed to a defender.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 4:08 p.m.
I personally would be fine with the organization allowing Savoie to shake loose in exchange for something long-term, but I know for an absolute fact that the vast majority of the Oilers fanbase is head-over-heels for the kid. Local boy, mid-round draft success, red-hot first year of college. I think his inclusion, along with Broberg's, probably eliminates any notion of a 2022 pick above a conditional third upgrading to a 2nd. If you wanted to substitute him for Broberg and make the 2022 pick guaranteed, I could be talked into it.

Hall (50% retained) for Neal, Savoie, 2022 1st, and 2023 mid/late pick might work if the prioritization is a forward as opposed to a defender.

Haha I love the analysis, I wasn’t asking for a forward in particular, but yeah would need to look into it. I’m not up to date on so many Oiler’s guys, I do know Broberg though. I’ll take your word on it that he’s up there. I was more just speaking in terms of forward prioritization with the d prospect pool Buf has
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 4:53 p.m.
The right to Wright
It's becoming incredibly unlikely at this point, and more importantly, it's not going to happen fast enough to matter. Edmonton needs to win now period. It also needs to sustain that winning over the next 5 years. If it can do that, Draisaitl and McDavid have more than enough incentive to stay.

Broberg is not guaranteed be a top-2 defender within 5 years: he's getting either another year in Sweden or a year in the AHL, will likely see Jones-esque treatment and not be a regular in the lineup the year after, and might emerge as a top-4 option by the third or fourth year into this thought experiment. He can either stagnate in his development at this point or find that extra gear, but we're already at that ever-so crucial 5th year.

What gives Edmonton the best opportunity to win the cup now, next year, and the following three years after that? Do we hang onto a piece slated for the bottom end of our roster over this period, or do we make a move to acquire one of the genuine top talents in the league, shed nearly $6M in ineffective cap, and use the resulting $4M next year to upgrade in net and thus guarantee long-term success of this roster?

I like Broberg, and I very much want to see him succeed, but keeping him at all costs makes little sense from the business aspect of "this team exists to win Stanley Cups, not playoff berths". Edmonton has a vast majority of the pieces it needs now to sustain a decade-plus of winning: now's the time to capitalize on it. There is no clearer path to a semifinal appearance than now. The Leafs are great, but shaky, and are going into these playoffs with an indescribable amount of pressure.

Look at Crosby and Malkin they are still producin. We can esxpect Leon and Connor to stay at a high level this decade. We have many years left. Edmonton won't win the cup this season theres no reason to do so. Hall is also inconsistent and it is not worth the risk. We have Holloway coming up soon he could play with McDavid. It's all about the patience here. Broberg and Bouchard are the next generation of defensers for this team and now we just gotta do the developing right and then we can harvest the sweet fruits and go for it. Draisaitl and McDavid will love the idea of staying here with the team we will have with this patience in 3-4 years. Also I never said he is guarranteed to become a top 2 d in the upcoming 5 years but you never know. im betting my money on him atleast I don't want an overrated veteran.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 4:57 p.m.
The right to Wright

yeah it makes more sense. We could shoot ourselves in the foot trading away broberg for an aging veteran. he didn't go 8th overall for no reason. Savoie is an interesting player. He has imense talent and could become a great top 6 player but he doesn't always put in the work and can be frustrating to watch. And then all of a sudden he scores a goal. Broberg and bouchard shouldn't get traded. They are together with Yamamoto, Connor and Leon the untouchables. Holloway could be counted in there aswell.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 5:11 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Connor_McJesus_97
Look at Crosby and Malkin they are still producin. We can esxpect Leon and Connor to stay at a high level this decade. We have many years left. Edmonton won't win the cup this season theres no reason to do so. Hall is also inconsistent and it is not worth the risk. We have Holloway coming up soon he could play with McDavid. It's all about the patience here. Broberg and Bouchard are the next generation of defensers for this team and now we just gotta do the developing right and then we can harvest the sweet fruits and go for it. Draisaitl and McDavid will love the idea of staying here with the team we will have with this patience in 3-4 years. Also I never said he is guarranteed to become a top 2 d in the upcoming 5 years but you never know. im betting my money on him atleast I don't want an overrated veteran.

What guarantee is there that Edmonton doesn't win the Cup? The Leafs have shown they lack the lethal instinct to win a playoff series. The Capitals are old. The Avalanche's goaltending is held together by a thread. Tampa and Vegas aren't bulletproof. They've shown the capacity to lose games. I have no respect for such defeatist attitudes. Year over year we've seen teams get lucky or unlucky. Did we expect the 2006 Oilers to make it to the very last possible game of the season?

The point of this whole operation is to win the Stanley Cup. Year over year, the name of the game is to put yourself in the best position to win now. I've demonstrated that we can healthily assume that Broberg is not going to be a significant factor for this club over the next half decade. He's a luxury. If Edmonton wants to be in the best position possible and as soon as possible, Hall is very much a more significant impact over that time period than Broberg would be. Hall's a more lethal assist generator than McDavid. Nothing about this man is being overrated by the move I made here: disposing of Neal's dead money and locking down a top talent is the kind of move that a winning team should make.

I had a recent epiphany that there's an attitude, almost exclusively amongst Oilers fans, that having more than three top-six forwards is a bad thing. Think back over the past 20 years: how many of those rosters featured 4 top-six forwards? The only two I can name are the 2006 Cinderella Oilers (Hemsky, Horcoff, Smyth, Stoll) and the 2015-16 Oilers when McDavid first entered the league. Beyond those two instances, our high water mark has been a trio (Eberle, Hall, RNH in the Decade of Darkness; Hemsky, Horcoff, Smyth back in the day). I had to go back to the end of the glory days to the 1990-1992 Oilers to find rosters with more than 3 top-six forwards. There's been this cancer of an attitude that we must have grinders and "hard-working, workboots and lunchpail men" to win in this league when the opposite has remained true. Players that fit those categories should be complimentary, not mainstays.

Alternatively, why is keeping Broberg so important when Samorukov or a player from free agency can be added?

Hall isn't overrated and adding him to this roster isn't a bad thing. Your player assessment just isn't good, and neither is your idea of roster construction.
Apr. 9, 2021 at 5:15 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Connor_McJesus_97
yeah it makes more sense. We could shoot ourselves in the foot trading away broberg for an aging veteran. he didn't go 8th overall for no reason. Savoie is an interesting player. He has imense talent and could become a great top 6 player but he doesn't always put in the work and can be frustrating to watch. And then all of a sudden he scores a goal. Broberg and bouchard shouldn't get traded. They are together with Yamamoto, Connor and Leon the untouchables. Holloway could be counted in there aswell.

Broberg's development is actively stagnating before our eyes. He was ranked as a mid-round talent in that draft. Holland and his scouting team reached on him and passed up on elite forwards and a better defender (Soderstrom) in order to add to a position of strength. There's plenty of literature surrounding that day.

As far as the next decade is concerned, Edmonton only has four untouchables. Bouchard, Draisaitl, Nurse, and McDavid. Every other piece should be considered available to some extent. I love Yamamoto as much as the next guy, but there are easily a dozen names I'd willingly part with him for. I don't believe that means we need to go out and trade him today, but the fact remains he shouldn't be considered a lock.
Apr. 10, 2021 at 10:23 a.m.
The right to Wright
What guarantee is there that Edmonton doesn't win the Cup? The Leafs have shown they lack the lethal instinct to win a playoff series. The Capitals are old. The Avalanche's goaltending is held together by a thread. Tampa and Vegas aren't bulletproof. They've shown the capacity to lose games. I have no respect for such defeatist attitudes. Year over year we've seen teams get lucky or unlucky. Did we expect the 2006 Oilers to make it to the very last possible game of the season?

The point of this whole operation is to win the Stanley Cup. Year over year, the name of the game is to put yourself in the best position to win now. I've demonstrated that we can healthily assume that Broberg is not going to be a significant factor for this club over the next half decade. He's a luxury. If Edmonton wants to be in the best position possible and as soon as possible, Hall is very much a more significant impact over that time period than Broberg would be. Hall's a more lethal assist generator than McDavid. Nothing about this man is being overrated by the move I made here: disposing of Neal's dead money and locking down a top talent is the kind of move that a winning team should make.

I had a recent epiphany that there's an attitude, almost exclusively amongst Oilers fans, that having more than three top-six forwards is a bad thing. Think back over the past 20 years: how many of those rosters featured 4 top-six forwards? The only two I can name are the 2006 Cinderella Oilers (Hemsky, Horcoff, Smyth, Stoll) and the 2015-16 Oilers when McDavid first entered the league. Beyond those two instances, our high water mark has been a trio (Eberle, Hall, RNH in the Decade of Darkness; Hemsky, Horcoff, Smyth back in the day). I had to go back to the end of the glory days to the 1990-1992 Oilers to find rosters with more than 3 top-six forwards. There's been this cancer of an attitude that we must have grinders and "hard-working, workboots and lunchpail men" to win in this league when the opposite has remained true. Players that fit those categories should be complimentary, not mainstays.

Alternatively, why is keeping Broberg so important when Samorukov or a player from free agency can be added?

Hall isn't overrated and adding him to this roster isn't a bad thing. Your player assessment just isn't good, and neither is your idea of roster construction.

I don’t mind 3 good top 6 players. That is what this team needs. But Hall isn’t that player. Olofsson, Ehlers and Mantha are all better options. They are younger and better. I wan’t to be realistic here. I want to feel 100% confident when going for it. This team won’t win the cup. It is that easy. The depth scoring would have to out of nowhere become much, much better. I think it is not terrible. But it isn’t great either. I want to work with the young guns that we have. If Klefblom won’t be able to return Broberg could be the guy to come in and take hi place. And if we trade him I’d like it to be for a defender or a winger that we know that we can trust in.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll