unforseen moves

Created by: Wqrrior
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 10, 2021
Published: Apr. 10, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
TOR
  1. Janmark, Mattias ($1,125,000 retained)
CHI
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Bernier, Jonathan ($1,500,000 retained)
DET
  1. Anderson, Joey
  2. 2021 4th round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$77,812,241$0$0$3,687,759
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
-$562,500-$562,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 10, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.
exo2769
These are (2) very under-rated moves for TOR to make IMO. Both good moves for them.
Apr. 10, 2021 at 2:45 p.m.
Roster Architect
Leafs aren't really interested in a goalie, have no reason to be. Janmark is a 4th liner on the Leafs and there's not really a point in moving a pick for a 4th line winger. They're more looking for a guy that can slide up and down the top 9 wing spots. These deals don't move the needle for them. They're more of the type of deals just to make deals. With Dubas gaining cap space from the Nash move, it kinda shows that something bigger might be happening.
Apr. 10, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: TrueCanuck
Leafs aren't really interested in a goalie, have no reason to be. Janmark is a 4th liner on the Leafs and there's not really a point in moving a pick for a 4th line winger. They're more looking for a guy that can slide up and down the top 9 wing spots. These deals don't move the needle for them. They're more of the type of deals just to make deals. With Dubas gaining cap space from the Nash move, it kinda shows that something bigger might be happening.

Heres the issue, we have no idea when Freds coming back (it could be next week or the day before the playoffs), on top of that Campbell is playing through an injury, if he goes down were doomed. Bernier adds insurance as we all saw what happened to Colorado when both the starter and the backup went down
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 10, 2021 at 2:47 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
If Janmark only goes for a third I think it’ll be to a team that can do that third this year.
Apr. 10, 2021 at 2:56 p.m.
Pop Pop
Bernier as insurance isn't a bad idea especially with Andersons uncertainty. Janmarks a good add. One of those Swiss army knife players who can do a bit of everything.
Apr. 10, 2021 at 2:59 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: aadoyle
Heres the issue, we have no idea when Freds coming back (it could be next week or the day before the playoffs), on top of that Campbell is playing through an injury, if he goes down were doomed. Bernier adds insurance as we all saw what happened to Colorado when both the starter and the backup went down

Leafs have already said they expect Andersen back before playoffs. All they're doing right now is maneuvering around the cap to gain as much cap space as they can for the deadline while Andersen gets ready. Worst case, they keep Andersen out until game 1 of the playoffs and activate him then. Campbell's past injury doesn't appear to be lingering or affecting his play at all, while there's always a risk in a reoccurrence, it doesn't seem Toronto is overly concerned with it. At that point you're just wasting cap space on a third string goalie when it isn't needed and taking away from what they're looking for. Any team that loses their top 2 goalies would be in trouble, but Hutchinson has shown this year that at least within the division he can still provide competent goaltending. If one of the guys gets hurt early in the playoffs, Toronto is comfortable going to Hutchinson while the other guys get ready because the entire team has improved their defensively play. It's been reported by multiple insiders, namely Elliotte Friedman, that Toronto isn't even looking at a goalie on the market. So I don't see them wasting cap space on Bernier.

I feel like Alex Iafallo is the perfect option for them now. What it will cost, who knows. But he's a winger that is very good defensively and can provide some offence while offering the "Hyman type" of play. I think Toronto making the move of Nash and Andersen to LTIR was a move to get Iafallo and not necessarily needing LA or a third team to retain as much. Now they have the space to get him which would costs lower assets. I wouldn't be shocked to see him as the next guy they get
Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
Edited Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:23 p.m.
I'm fine with both acquisitions but the Leafs should keep Joey Anderson.

- He is only 22 years old
- He scored at an 18 goal pace last year
- He plays a similar style to Zach Hyman
- He has a solid contract ($750,000 x 3 years)

If he becomes a solid 3rd liner it will save Toronto $2,000,000 in cap-space.
Wqrrior and TrueCanuck liked this.
Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Leafs have already said they expect Andersen back before playoffs. All they're doing right now is maneuvering around the cap to gain as much cap space as they can for the deadline while Andersen gets ready. Worst case, they keep Andersen out until game 1 of the playoffs and activate him then. Campbell's past injury doesn't appear to be lingering or affecting his play at all, while there's always a risk in a reoccurrence, it doesn't seem Toronto is overly concerned with it. At that point you're just wasting cap space on a third string goalie when it isn't needed and taking away from what they're looking for. Any team that loses their top 2 goalies would be in trouble, but Hutchinson has shown this year that at least within the division he can still provide competent goaltending. If one of the guys gets hurt early in the playoffs, Toronto is comfortable going to Hutchinson while the other guys get ready because the entire team has improved their defensively play. It's been reported by multiple insiders, namely Elliotte Friedman, that Toronto isn't even looking at a goalie on the market. So I don't see them wasting cap space on Bernier.

I feel like Alex Iafallo is the perfect option for them now. What it will cost, who knows. But he's a winger that is very good defensively and can provide some offence while offering the "Hyman type" of play. I think Toronto making the move of Nash and Andersen to LTIR was a move to get Iafallo and not necessarily needing LA or a third team to retain as much. Now they have the space to get him which would costs lower assets. I wouldn't be shocked to see him as the next guy they get

but what if Campbell goes down tonight u want hutch to play the rest of the season, we have no idea when Freddie is coming back. Yes they did say he would return but there is (no timeline). They placed him on LTIR and with Campbells injury woes and Hutch only having 2 games left before hes waiver exempt have a feeling Dubas will bring in a goalie
Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:01 p.m.

Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:02 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: Wqrrior

I'll trust Elliotte Friedman over any other insider any day.
Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:07 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: aadoyle
but what if Campbell goes down tonight u want hutch to play the rest of the season

This is bad logic. What if Vasilevskiy went down? What if Jake Allen went down? What If Hellebuyck went down? ... 2 injuries to goalies changes everything. But teams don't go out operating thinking about 2 injuries at the same position. Of course if any team loses their starting goalie and backup goalie they have to look at options. But that's not the situation. Leafs management know exactly what's going on with Andersen. They know when he'll be ready. I'm sure if Campbell went down to injury, Andersen would be activated from the IR on Monday when he's eligible. But spending that much cap space on a third string goalie just isn't worth it. The only guy Toronto should even consider would be Driedger from Florida. Otherwise it makes no sense.
Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:22 p.m.
For the most part I don't want to trade for a goalie.

If we have to though and you can get a competent guy retained for next year like this I don't hate it.

Bernier is about 5/6 on my hope for next year

1/2 is Ullmark/Driedger
3/4 are Raanta/Rittich
5/6 are Reimer/Bernier
Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:25 p.m.

One thing I'll say. Dubas lies and lies a lot. It's probably a good thing for a gm to do, to not show his hand.

I kind of hate trading for a goalie when we have a good tandem, but the flipside is this is a contender and our starter is injured, and our solid back up has been looking in pain as he skates to the bench and being given days off (ie something is lingering)

I kind of feel it's too big a gamble on this year that otherwise the stars have aligned for the leafs to not get insurance.

I'm quite torn
Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:25 p.m.
I'll trust Elliotte Friedman over any other insider any day.

Sure, yeah - I do as well.

I'm not saying it WILL happen, I'm just saying that this is why I made this thread.
Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:36 p.m.
Bernier will cost more, at least a 3rd, maybe a 2nd if someone decides they really want him
Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:39 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: BCAPP
One thing I'll say. Dubas lies and lies a lot. It's probably a good thing for a gm to do, to not show his hand.

I kind of hate trading for a goalie when we have a good tandem, but the flipside is this is a contender and our starter is injured, and our solid back up has been looking in pain as he skates to the bench and being given days off (ie something is lingering)

I kind of feel it's too big a gamble on this year that otherwise the stars have aligned for the leafs to not get insurance.

I'm quite torn

I just think the one thing he's talked about the most is an upgrade at forward and I don't see him using the cap space on another area when that's all he's talked about
Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:51 p.m.
I just think the one thing he's talked about the most is an upgrade at forward and I don't see him using the cap space on another area when that's all he's talked about

I'd agree with you but I saw an article addressing exactly this and looking at his history where he has a history to lead the media to watch his right hand while he's working with his left as it were.

Here's the article. The authour is a little rambly

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2021/4/5/22366679/we-know-what-kyle-dubas-has-said-about-the-trade-deadline-what-is-he-actually-doing-maple-leafs

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll