SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(MTL/DET) - Verbeek + 2021 5th round pick for Merrill

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:15 p.m.
While we win this trade, MB continues to not really solve the teams problem, hopefully Mete goes unclaimed
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
While we win this trade, MB continues to not really solve the teams problem, hopefully Mete goes unclaimed

Whatever team claims him has to keep him on their active squad, so he'll likely end up on waivers again
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
Jacob
plus/minus in a vacuum is kinda useless. However when you are the one defenseman with a positive plus/minus on one of the worst teams in the league, it can tell you a lot about the player. And the underlying numbers (for the most part) back this up. Good pick up. Should be an upgrade on kulak for their top 6.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:19 p.m.
Steve
Would have rather signed him to an extension rather than setting for a 5th...
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:30 p.m.
I wouldn't read to much into it. Take a look at Detroit's Assistant GM.
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:31 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Hoping Montreal does the same while we ship off Edmundson

What do you think it will cost to ship off Edmundson?

$3,500,000 x 4 years is a rough sell in todays market.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
Juraj Slapshotsky
An NHL caliber dman for a fringe AHLer? Lol. All day baby
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:43 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
This is very underwelming. I was hoping for Goligosky or Manson or Olesiak, not a guy we could pick off waivers.

And please leave me alone with your advanced stats crap.

in general i dont see how this moves the wire for the habs. Merill is okay but will he make the habs Dcore better maybe a tiny bit. Putting him with Pilon webber wont be an upgrade over Edmunson. With Romanov maybe but meh Romanov should be at this point be the guy carrying the load based on all the hype

Than u got Bergevin losing 2 young Dman for nothing than getting a UFA whose gone after this season

Goligosky would have easily been the smarter add especially when u consider hes been playing over 20mins a game in Arizona, being a +7 and having all the traits u want in a top pairing Dman

especially when u consider when Chariot comes back either Merill or Romanov get pushed out
jpsnow13 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:43 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins

especially when u consider his +/- and stats are being carried by a guy named Petry who often makes his partners look better. And its been proven as Edmunson-Weber has been a disaster of a pairing.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:39 p.m.
Canes fan
This is a very underrated trade. Merrill is better than most think. Good work by Bergevin!
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:41 p.m.
sensonfire
This is a tweet from two hours ago by the lead reporter of the Detroit Red Wings for the The Athletic.

First impression: that is one hell of a trade for Montreal. Merrill has been one of Detroit's best defensemen this season. He makes less than $1 million. He'll help the Canadiens in the playoffs. To get him for a fifth-rounder is a great bit of work by the Canadiens.

Montreal wins the trade.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:55 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: drewjenkins

Would be the player I entice Seattle to take. I'd give up a late 2nd (Tampa's) for Seattle to take him, but I don't see Bergevin wanting to trade him nor a team taking his contract for that little
drewjenkins liked this.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 3:56 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: aadoyle
in general i dont see how this moves the wire for the habs. Merill is okay but will he make the habs Dcore better maybe a tiny bit. Putting him with Pilon webber wont be an upgrade over Edmunson. With Romanov maybe but meh Romanov should be at this point be the guy carrying the load based on all the hype

Than u got Bergevin losing 2 young Dman for nothing than getting a UFA whose gone after this season

Goligosky would have easily been the smarter add especially when u consider hes been playing over 20mins a game in Arizona, being a +7 and having all the traits u want in a top pairing Dman

especially when u consider when Chariot comes back either Merill or Romanov get pushed out

Merrill is heads and shoulders better than Edmundson. Isn't ideal for a 1st pairing role, but he will be great on the 3rd pairing when Chiarot comes back
Apr. 11, 2021 at 4:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Merrill is heads and shoulders better than Edmundson. Isn't ideal for a 1st pairing role, but he will be great on the 3rd pairing when Chiarot comes back

oh i agree at this point anything is an upgrade over him for being with Weber at this point as Edmonson somehow succeeds with Petry but sucks with Weber. Merill will be interesting to see with the Habs but honestly if I was bergevin gologoski would have been better
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 4:06 p.m.
WentWughes
oh i agree at this point anything is an upgrade over him for being with Weber at this point as Edmonson somehow succeeds with Petry but sucks with Weber. Merill will be interesting to see with the Habs but honestly if I was bergevin gologoski would have been better

For his price and cap hit, this is the steal of the deadline so far. Look at what Tampa paid for Savard. We got a 2nd pairing defender for less than Detroit got for taking on 400k of cap
Joe_La_Garnotte liked this.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 4:09 p.m.
WentWughes

Even if we got Goligoski and Arizona retained 50%, we'd be taking on 2.7 the cap and I don't even know if he's better (haven't looked at his advanced stats)
Apr. 11, 2021 at 4:09 p.m.
Merrill has almost zero offensive upside, but he's rock solid in his own end. Exactly what MTL needed to solidify their back end.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 4:44 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Brian2016
Merrill has almost zero offensive upside, but he's rock solid in his own end. Exactly what MTL needed to solidify their back end.

We are getting 0 from both sides of the ice at this point. 1 or the other would be great
Apr. 11, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
So Bergevin gives up draft picks so he can spend $10,000,000 on these guys:

Edmondson
Chiarot
Merrill
Kulak

While throwing Mete + Juulsen away like garbage on waivers.

I guess Bergevin knows his aging core is in win now mode.

Kinda sad to be honest.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 5:03 p.m.
especially when u consider his +/- and stats are being carried by a guy named Petry who often makes his partners look better. And its been proven as Edmunson-Weber has been a disaster of a pairing.

Yeah ... Weber is far too old to be carrying a partner.

TBH I'm not even 100% sure he can walk on his own.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 5:06 p.m.
Would be the player I entice Seattle to take. I'd give up a late 2nd (Tampa's) for Seattle to take him, but I don't see Bergevin wanting to trade him nor a team taking his contract for that little

Seattle will need playable defensemen so they may do it for a 2nd.

A 2nd + 3rd would probably be enough get it done.

But it likely costs a 1st to trade him anywhere else.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 6:19 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: aedoran
I wouldn't read to much into it. Take a look at Detroit's Assistant GM.

I don’t think that’s the reason Verbeek was included here. Hayden just happens to be the worst player under contract with Montréal. (Other than maybe Khisamutdinov or Hillis, but they have potential, so they aren’t getting traded as contract dumps)
Apr. 11, 2021 at 9:43 p.m.
Evans truther
After all those signings and trades people still doubt Bergevin bargain bins players, y'all never learn.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 4:23 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I don’t think that’s the reason Verbeek was included here. Hayden just happens to be the worst player under contract with Montréal. (Other than maybe Khisamutdinov or Hillis, but they have potential, so they aren’t getting traded as contract dumps)

Ok but I think you are overlooking the obvious. First a 5th for Merrill was the asking price and Why bring a player back at all? It's certainly not to create cap space. You know Montreal's prospects better than I do so if you say he is the worst player under contract why would Yzerman want him? If you still don't think so look at the Wings last pick of the 2020 draft. Kienan Draper who is Kris Draper's son and Kris Draper is currently the Director of Amateur Scouting. Both Draper and Verbeek are former teammates of Yzerman and if you were to take a closer look you'd see this happens a lot more than you think but who pays much attention to late draft picks and depth trades.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 7:25 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: aedoran
Ok but I think you are overlooking the obvious. First a 5th for Merrill was the asking price and Why bring a player back at all? It's certainly not to create cap space. You know Montreal's prospects better than I do so if you say he is the worst player under contract why would Yzerman want him? If you still don't think so look at the Wings last pick of the 2020 draft. Kienan Draper who is Kris Draper's son and Kris Draper is currently the Director of Amateur Scouting. Both Draper and Verbeek are former teammates of Yzerman and if you were to take a closer look you'd see this happens a lot more than you think but who pays much attention to late draft picks and depth trades.

The reason Verbeek would be included is so that Montréal keeps more contract slots out of the 50 maximum they have so they are able to make more trades if need be. And Verbeek isn’t a prospect. He’s 23 and he was a healthy scratch for the first 19 games for Laval, and he only got in the lineup when the team had a rash of injuries at forward.

And the Red Wings could’ve asked for Verbeek specifically, but don’t expect him to become anything more than a 3rd liner in the AHL at best.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit