SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Getting Mantha and Glendening

Created by: vmark
Published: Apr. 11, 2021 at 5:27 p.m.
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Season Days: 27/116 (23%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the Detroit Red WingsDetroit Red Wings

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Glendening, LukeDetroit Red WingsNHL-$418,965111---0000--
Mantha, AnthonyDetroit Red WingsNHL-$1,326,724111---0000--
Nielsen, FransDetroit Red WingsEmerg. Loan-$1,221,982111---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Zucker, JasonPittsburgh PenguinsNHL-$1,280,172111---0000--
Pettersson, MarcusPittsburgh PenguinsNHL-$936,894111---0000--
Blueger, TeddyPittsburgh PenguinsIR-$174,568011---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$7,745,1022244783915
Change$576,037-100000
Final$8,321,139 (↑)21 (↓)44783915000

Logo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsPittsburgh Penguins

Trade occurred while using LTIR
LTIR Relief: $9,500,000
LTIR Used Prior to Trade: $1,983,737
OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Zucker, JasonPittsburgh PenguinsNHL-$5,500,000111---0000--
Pettersson, MarcusPittsburgh PenguinsNHL-$4,025,175111---0000--
Blueger, TeddyPittsburgh PenguinsIR-$750,000011---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Glendening, LukeDetroit Red WingsNHL-$1,800,000111---0000--
Mantha, AnthonyDetroit Red WingsNHL-$5,700,000111---0000--
Nielsen, FransDetroit Red WingsEmerg. Loan-$5,250,000111---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$7,516,2632348702512
Change-$2,474,825100000
Final$5,041,438 (↓)24 (↑)48702512000
Apr. 11, 2021 at 5:46 p.m.
IG vincemark78
I meant to put Nielsen's salary at 50% retained, which would make the cap hits basically even. I'd imagine Zucker has Detroit on his NTC list, but if he waived it, I don't think this is too much to give up for Mantha, who is big and scores goals. With Zucker his place in the lineup is fluctuating; he hasn't looked bad by any means, but Mantha just brings more outright offense to the table.

For Detroit, they get Blueger for another cheap year, and this would be a great opportunity for him to play up in the lineup. Either way, he is a very solid younger Center. Pettersson and Zucker are actually good players, and with Zucker he is only signed for another two seasons, so they actually would save on the cap longer term.

Their blue line has nobody signed longer term, and while Pettersson is slightly over paid, he would have every opportunity to play into this deal, and it could become a bargain if he continues to develop. He's still only 24.

Either way, I feel like this deal helps both teams, especially the Pens in the short term. All Glendening does is win face offs; he is an ideal 4th line center for the Pens at the moment. Mantha is just a top 6 winger, hands down. He has size and a great shot. I feel like he would be a fixture in the top two lines for the entirety of his deal, maybe a legit Malkin career extender.

Nielsen doesn't add on the ice at this point in his career, but you can never have too much center depth. Including him makes the salaries work on the cap sheet, although he isn't owed much on the last years of this deal. His inclusion further allows Detroit to have cap flexibility, which they clearly want for their rebuild.

Do the Red Wings value Pettersson? Or would it have to be Marino for this deal to work? Either way, for Detroit, Blueger is a great piece for a rebuilding team that needs to establish some form of defensive identity. Zucker's career numbers are pretty good, and he is signed for less years than Mantha. My man's still got some wheels. For Detroit, would you rather have Mantha for 3 more seasons, or Pettersson and Blueger for the next 4, at least?

For a team with one of the worst blue lines in the league and pretty poor center depth it makes sense.
Tntpod liked this.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 6:08 p.m.
I can't see DET moving Mantha for a player like Zucker. There's no upside to Zucker, but Mantha stil has a high ceiling. I think he needs a change of scenery, but the ask is gonna be high. Pettersson would definitely be a good fit in DET. To make this deal work, I feel that PIT would have to add P.O. Joseph and a low end pick
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 6:17 p.m.
I make Articals.
Detroit wins by miles and miles and miles since Zucker is a good top 6 player, Blueger is doing pretty good this season compared to last season, Petterson is pretty good, and Nielsen and Glendening have contracts that are unmovable. The only bright spot moving for Detroit is Anthony Mantha, who by the way is struggling.

Im a Pens fan and no offense, but this hurts to look at nevertheless even hear someone talking about it
Apr. 11, 2021 at 6:31 p.m.
IG vincemark78
Quoting: Tntpod
Detroit wins by miles and miles and miles since Zucker is a good top 6 player, Blueger is doing pretty good this season compared to last season, Petterson is pretty good, and Nielsen and Glendening have contracts that are unmovable. The only bright spot moving for Detroit is Anthony Mantha, who by the way is struggling.

Im a Pens fan and no offense, but this hurts to look at nevertheless even hear someone talking about it

They need cap flexibility longer term and moving Pettersson accomplishes that. Zucker has looked good in flashes but has also looked lost on the Pens; some guys just don't fit here (Perron, Brassard, etc). That doesn't mean they're bad players. It also doesn't mean he can't turn it around here still, I just see Mantha as a better fit.

Mantha may be "struggling", but he's also only 26 (Zucker is 29) andthe Red Wings don't score goals... He IS 2nd on their team in points. He's also big with a great shot and at this point in his career, a legitimate top 6 winger. Maybe I'm overvaluing him. I just think he would be a great fit on the 2nd line. Malkin is a passer at heart and Mantha is a shooter. Zucker is good, but he isn't necessarily a shooter.

Sadly, you are grossly underestimating Glendening; he just wins faceoffs... Like he is one of the best faceoff guys in the league. Couple that with his work effort and how he's a UFA after the year, and you get a guy who would stabilize the 4th line immediately. I'm sure we could resign him too.

If Mantha sucked here so be it... but his ceiling IS quite high. Would be exciting to get him. Nielsen, like I said, doesn't really matter. But you can't have too much center depth, and maybe playing for a team with an actual shot at the Cup would spark a fire under his ass. You know, because he's been on a team with 0% chance for 5 plus years.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 6:37 p.m.
Sir
Quoting: vmark
They need cap flexibility longer term and moving Pettersson accomplishes that. Zucker has looked good in flashes but has also looked lost on the Pens; some guys just don't fit here (Perron, Brassard, etc). That doesn't mean they're bad players. It also doesn't mean he can't turn it around here still, I just see Mantha as a better fit.

Mantha may be "struggling", but he's also only 26 (Zucker is 29) andthe Red Wings don't score goals... He IS 2nd on their team in points. He's also big with a great shot and at this point in his career, a legitimate top 6 winger. Maybe I'm overvaluing him. I just think he would be a great fit on the 2nd line. Malkin is a passer at heart and Mantha is a shooter. Zucker is good, but he isn't necessarily a shooter.

Sadly, you are grossly underestimating Glendening; he just wins faceoffs... Like he is one of the best faceoff guys in the league. Couple that with his work effort and how he's a UFA after the year, and you get a guy who would stabilize the 4th line immediately. I'm sure we could resign him too.

If Mantha sucked here so be it... but his ceiling IS quite high. Would be exciting to get him. Nielsen, like I said, doesn't really matter. But you can't have too much center depth, and maybe playing for a team with an actual shot at the Cup would spark a fire under his ass. You know, because he's been on a team with 0% chance for 5 plus years.

Usually a good sign when fans of both teams think they are losing out - means the trade could be somewhat fair smile Mantha is by fair the best asset being moved in this trade, but to be honest I am torn on who wins or loses etc.
vmark and aedoran liked this.
Apr. 11, 2021 at 6:46 p.m.
IG vincemark78
Quoting: Hobo
Usually a good sign when fans of both teams think they are losing out - means the trade could be somewhat fair smile Mantha is by fair the best asset being moved in this trade, but to be honest I am torn on who wins or loses etc.

I feel like it would help both teams. Make it happen Hexy.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll