SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Forum For News, Rumors, Reactions and Fun Throughout the 2021 Season! (part 4)

Apr. 14, 2021 at 8:31 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: mondo
leafs were heating up and the refs decided to punish them with a powerplay

It's crazy that a team that's built around pure offense can't score on the powerplay
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 8:39 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
It's crazy that a team that's built around pure offense can't score on the powerplay

They need to stop being fancy, looking only for "Goals of The Week" candidates. They need to go old school; cycle back to the point, shoot for a tip/rebound.

The thing is, the leafs powerplay is comically easy to read. Rielly, to Marner on the near side, back to matthews back door.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 8:44 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
They need to stop being fancy, looking only for "Goals of The Week" candidates. They need to go old school; cycle back to the point, shoot for a tip/rebound.

The thing is, the leafs powerplay is comically easy to read. Rielly, to Marner on the near side, back to matthews back door.

Montreal's use to be the same with the puck going from the right to the left across the blue line right onto a Weber slapshot. Montreal's changed it so now it goes to perry's stick right in front of the net and he either crashes the net or makes a cross crease tap in and it seems to be quite effective.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 8:46 a.m.
Montreal's use to be the same with the puck going from the right to the left across the blue line right onto a Weber slapshot. Montreal's changed it so now it goes to perry's stick right in front of the net and he either crashes the net or makes a cross crease tap in and it seems to be quite effective.

Exactly. We have one play on our man advantage. thats it. one play. Try to do something different, quick passes, someone below the goal line, someone in front of the net, a player on either side and the dman at the point. Just shake it up, get something new and fresh in there.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 10:24 a.m.
Exactly. We have one play on our man advantage. thats it. one play. Try to do something different, quick passes, someone below the goal line, someone in front of the net, a player on either side and the dman at the point. Just shake it up, get something new and fresh in there.

Unpopular opinion, but if the Leafs want their main play on the PP to be the cross ice pass to Matthews, Nylander should be taking Marner's spot.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 10:24 a.m.
WentWughes

Not sure who Toronto's PP coach is, but Montreals didn't change until Burrows was brought up from Laval. Maybe Toronto should look into bringing in a new PP coach
Apr. 14, 2021 at 10:26 a.m.
Not sure who Toronto's PP coach is, but Montreals didn't change until Burrows was brought up from Laval. Maybe Toronto should look into bringing in a new PP coach

Manny Malhotra is our PP coach. He was phenomenal at the beginning of the season
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 10:27 a.m.

It's Malhotra. It's tough to say they should fire him because of how successful the PP was earlier in the season, but I was thinking the same thing last night. Even just for a shake up - start fresh, y'know? They just can't go into the playoffs with it struggling this much.
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 11:03 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
It's Malhotra. It's tough to say they should fire him because of how successful the PP was earlier in the season, but I was thinking the same thing last night. Even just for a shake up - start fresh, y'know? They just can't go into the playoffs with it struggling this much.

PP's aren't as effective in the playoffs aren't needed as much as usually the refs let things go more often. That being said, if you can't score with Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares, then you aren't the right coach for the job
Apr. 14, 2021 at 11:06 a.m.
PP's aren't as effective in the playoffs aren't needed as much as usually the refs let things go more often. That being said, if you can't score with Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares, then you aren't the right coach for the job

Exactly

It’s a combo of things IMO.
A) Teams have figured us out and the way we work
B) malhotra needs new ideas/plays
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 11:26 a.m.

I don't think that's really true. In the short span of a 4-7 game series, special teams can have a huge impact on the outcome. The median PP opportunities per game is also higher in the Playoffs than in the regular season in each of the last 5 years.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 11:42 a.m.
Go leafs go

It's a bit annoying, but meh, they are still winning so it's almost a good thing in some ways.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Saskleaf
It's a bit annoying, but meh, they are still winning so it's almost a good thing in some ways.

They've been losing as of late. 2 game losing streak isn't anything to overreact too, but they could easily see their division lead start to dwindle
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 12:37 p.m.
torontos finest
Exactly

It’s a combo of things IMO.
A) Teams have figured us out and the way we work
B) malhotra needs new ideas/plays

Too much passing and setting up.
Apr. 14, 2021 at 12:42 p.m.
I heff to be mad...
Rittich played great, unfortunately, no one else did
Apr. 14, 2021 at 11:58 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
The Sharks deciding not to rebuild was a detrimental decision, and continuing to not be actual sellers at the TDL was a bold decision because “tHe PlAyOFfs ArE iN OuR ReaCH”.

They’re going to regret all of it by the year end - if not already. Doomed team decided to doom their future.
Apr. 15, 2021 at 12:14 a.m.
Edited Apr. 15, 2021 at 12:20 a.m.
Quoting: yikes
The Sharks deciding not to rebuild was a detrimental decision, and continuing to not be actual sellers at the TDL was a bold decision because “tHe PlAyOFfs ArE iN OuR ReaCH”.

They’re going to regret all of it by the year end - if not already. Doomed team decided to doom their future.

Who would you have wanted them to sell at the deadline? I agree with the overall sentiment of your comment, but I just don't see what the game-changer could have been. Hertl would've been huge, but the preference seemed to be rentals, so the value in that move might not have been there.
Apr. 15, 2021 at 12:23 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Who would you have wanted them to sell at the deadline?

Personally if I was a valued member of the management I would have urged them to rebuild this past offseason/ begin.

(Either this past TDL or prior) I would firstly of sold Hertl. I believe he’d get a top prospect and a first and more. Let’s be modest and say he gets Boldy and a first; that’s very solid but I’d think he’d get more as I said.

Then trade Donato for some seconds or a second and a prospect.

Finally take a high offer for Labanc or keep him. And listen on Meier. Labancs trade would be a overpay otherwise I’d keep him (and overpay being anything like a first + a good prospect, or more). Meier I’d say a offer better than hertls/ a Hertl similar offer with roster play involved or a better quality prospect. These moves in this paragraph aren’t necessary but worth considering.

Then expose burns and Jones and see what happens otherwise start the rebuild based of those trades and focus on better picks and prospects.
Apr. 15, 2021 at 10:46 a.m.
Leafs sign amirov to a 3yr ELC
KakkoForMauriceRichardAward, LeafsFan4Ever34, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 15, 2021 at 3:43 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Dear Oilers, Leafs, Jets, and Senators, please beat Montreal as much as possible. We would like to make the playoffs and need your help. We will do as much as much as possible in the 4 out of 6 games we have against them.
Flames fans.
Apr. 15, 2021 at 4:52 p.m.
Quoting: Gmonwy
Dear Oilers, Leafs, Jets, and Senators, please beat Montreal as much as possible. We would like to make the playoffs and need your help. We will do as much as much as possible in the 4 out of 6 games we have against them.
Flames fans.

I always take pride in clobbering the habs grin
Apr. 15, 2021 at 6:26 p.m.
Go leafs go
Flames fans.

Nah, I really, really want to see a Toronto-Montreal matchup.
Apr. 15, 2021 at 6:59 p.m.
Flames fans.

With the way we’ve been playing I could see us be the 5 seed and MB gets fired
Apr. 15, 2021 at 7:31 p.m.
Why is no one talking about how great we are at 5v5???

We’ve scored all our goals recently with no help from the PP!
Saskleaf and LeafsFan4Ever34 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2021 at 7:40 p.m.
source.gif

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll