SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Forum For News, Rumors, Reactions and Fun Throughout the 2021 Season! (part 4)

May 7, 2021 at 12:56 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
You can't win the Lottery more than twice in a 5 year period. Not sure if there is any back-to-back rule.

But is it winning if you where already in that position? Or is winning moving up?
May 7, 2021 at 12:58 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
But is it winning if you where already in that position? Or is winning moving up?

I think it’s moving up. Like if Anaheim gets 2nd (if they clinch 2nd last) I don’t think they won the lottery. But if you go from 9 to top 3 I believe that’s considered winning.

So if SJS win this year and next, they would be disallowed form winning twice in 2023-25. Or if they win this year and in 2023 they would be allowed again once within that five year as this year doesn’t count.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 12:59 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
I think it’s moving up. Like if Anaheim gets 2nd (if they clinch 2nd last) I don’t think they won the lottery. But if you go from 9 to top 3 I believe that’s considered winning.

So we could technically get #1 #1 #1 if **** hit the fan lol
May 7, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.

Yeah. You're still part of the lottery. If you win, you win. That's my understanding at least.
yikes liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 1:01 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
NHL

How does the new lottery rules work? Say the Sabres retain 1st this year trade Eichel and Reinhart to end up with young players and finish last again for the next 2 years. Can we win 1st in 21, 22, and 23? If we are the worst team each year?

It depends whether you win the lottery or not. If 2 teams that are supposed to pick lower than 11th win the lottery, then they could get 1st overall without winning the lottery. But if the balls are picked and it comes out Buffalo, that would count against the 2 in 5 years limit even if they don’t move up per se.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Yeah. You're still part of the lottery. If you win, you win. That's my understanding at least.

However, lottery wins before 2022 don't count towards the twice in 5 years rule, so a team could theoretically pick 1st for the next 3 years.
yikes, BuFfaLOFaN, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
EklundCelebriniSmith
So we could technically get #1 #1 #1 if **** hit the fan lol

Yeah that sounds right. As Buffalo still has to “win first” as they still have to hit the ball. So next year if Buffalo picks firsthand they’re dead last, thatll be their first of 2 wins. But this year doesn’t count.
May 7, 2021 at 1:06 p.m.
Yeah that sounds right. As Buffalo still has to “win first” as they still have to hit the ball. So next year if Buffalo picks firsthand they’re dead last, thatll be their first of 2 wins. But this year doesn’t count.

So if the sabres trade Eichel, Reinhart and any other dude 24+ who could help us win and tank we could get Lambert or Wright and Bedard or Michkov
yikes liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 1:21 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited May 7, 2021 at 1:32 p.m.
So if the sabres trade Eichel, Reinhart and any other dude 24+ who could help us win and tank we could get Lambert or Wright and Bedard or Michkov

Yes, if I’m Buffalo tanking for 22 is essential if Eichel is moved. You can still hit first once more for whoever you want within the next 4 drafts. Wright Lambert is just a huge positive if you can trade Eichel for a premium return and then draft one of those. If rebuilding again during a rebuild LOL is buffalos route, that’s the best start. Anything less and they’re gonna fail....fail to rebuild during a rebuild which would just uhh be devastating lol.

Wright
Then a huge Eichel package:
First - good to decent
Premium prospect - PREMIUM like Brannstrom Stone trade
Valued player - (SJS example, Meier)
Prospect again - a guy like Logan brown or bellows maybe?
2nd
Whatever

Would be a good start
May 7, 2021 at 1:25 p.m.
Yes, if I’m Buffalo tanking for 22 is essential if Eichel is moved. You can still hit first once more for whoever you want within the next 4 drafts. Wright Lambert is just a huge positive if you can trade Eichel for a premium return and then draft one of those. If rebuilding again during a rebuild LOL is buffalos route, that’s the best start. Anything less and they’re gonna fail....fail to rebuild during a rebuild which would just uhh be devastating lol.

Wright
First
Premium prospect
Valued player
Prospect again
2nd
Whatever

Would be a good start

That's what I'm doing if I'm BUF. Scrap it start over, imo.
May 7, 2021 at 1:49 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Personally I see the draft rankings as such a crap shoot there’s gonna be a lot of unnecessary criticism in the future.

Safe Picks Inside the Top 10:
-Hughes (won’t be your top pair guy imo, but should be top 4)
-Beniers (safe 2C potential I’d say)
-Powers (better than Hughes imo but not by a mile)
These guys can outplay their “safe” potential but I’d say there’s not much more beneath the surfaces, you’ll get a good player but not a dynamite pick compared to others.

Risky Picks Inside the Top 10:
-Kent Johnson (super flashy but a boom or bust imo)
-Wallstedt (every goalie this early but Jesper is damn good)
-Clarke (boom or bust)
-Lysell (boom or bust)
These guys are either gonna be “okay”/ busts. But if they hit theyre gonna hit big. Lysell and Johnson have the flash to be dynamic top 6 elite players imo. Clarke can be your explosive puck mover twd/ OFD. Wallstedt I love; I think whoever gets him is getting a goalie that’s more valuable than Knight, or Hart (yes hart has nhl experience and kinda stumbled this year) but I think Wallstedt is the real deal for a starter.

Solid top 10 picks but not top 3:
-Guenther (top 6 scorer)
-Eklund (top 6 C)
-Lucius (flashy top 6 guy)
-Evindsson (DFD, shutdown guy)
Guenther, top 6 guy who could hit and be a steal. Eklund is a great top 6 option as well. Lucius I’ll say the same lol but I think he can hit as well. Evindsson will be like your prime Vlasic top 4 DFD but he could flounder and just be a bottom pair good DFD.

These 11 guys all should go in the top 10, but it’s so up in their air Guenther could go at 9 and be the best guy in the draft class. Or a guy like Sillinger who’s likely 11-19 could be. You could draft powers at 1 or 4, and Clarke could go top 3 or top 9. And Clarke and Evindsson will go after Powers and Hughes most likely but each could become better. Or you could see Beniers go as the highest C draft, but Johnson easily could put perform him.

Guenther is my #1 (in my expert opinion)
May 7, 2021 at 2:27 p.m.
WentWughes
Shane Wright was better but yea insane

Wright is also 18 months older. There's a huge difference there
May 7, 2021 at 2:27 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: LeafsFan4Ever34
McDavid is overrated

Oh yeah for sure
LeafsFan4Ever34 liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.

Wright
First - good to decent
Premium prospect - PREMIUM like Brannstrom Stone trade
Valued player - (SJS example, Meier)
Prospect again - a guy like Logan brown or bellows maybe?
2nd
Whatever

Would be a good start

Yea I mean it sucks how dilussianal people are with what Eichel is worth on this website, kinda annoying lol but yea if we tank we tank for 2022 and 2023 try to one of the big 4 prospects. IMO best prospects since McDavid-Eichel-Matthews-Laine.
That's what I'm doing if I'm BUF. Scrap it start over, imo.

Try and do a Colorado or Ottowa sort of thing.
May 7, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.

Was just thinking more about these new rules and a thought occured to me. Do you think the 'twice in 5 years' rule that will begin in 2022 applies unconditionally or only for a teams own pick? What I mean is if Buffalo (just for example) has already won 2 lotteries in a less than 5 year span, are they still eligible to win another via an acquired pick that wasn't protected? It would be an interesting circumstance and, imo, they should still be able to win in that scenario as they paid a price for that pick.

The new rules seem to state is as all-encompassing, but they don't really go into detail.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 3:46 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited May 7, 2021 at 3:56 p.m.
With the recent addition of Barabanov; Kane - Hertl - Barbanov have combined for 21 points (nine goals, 12 assists) over the last five games.

Barabanov has also missed out on atleast 2 assists due to the puck touching a opposing player during the sequence. But said 2 missed assists were quite literally only goals because of his play.

Barabanov likely has secured a decent contract for 1 year in 5 games for next year.
May 7, 2021 at 3:57 p.m.
With the recent addition of Barabanov; Kane - Hertl - Barbanov have combined for 21 points (nine goals, 12 assists) over the last five games.

Barabanov has also missed out on atleast 2 assists due to the puck touching a opposing player during the sequence.

Barabanov likely has secured a decent contract for 1 year in 5 games for next year.

Good for him. I was more excited by his signing than Lehtonen's and really thought he was flying under the radar. Was disappointed to see him go.
yikes, Saskleaf and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 3:59 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Good for him. I was more excited by his signing than Lehtonen's and really thought he was flying under the radar. Was disappointed to see him go.

Yeah, especially for being 26 and counting it’s good to see a older “rookie (not actual rookie due to age)” gain some footing in his career for the future. Going forward it’ll be interesting to see where he ends up.

Lehtonen was traded/ waived too correct? My gut says Detroit but I can’t recall.
May 7, 2021 at 4:03 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

Edmonton still has 4 games remaining 👀
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 4:08 p.m.
Yeah, especially for being 26 and counting it’s good to see a older “rookie (not actual rookie due to age)” gain some footing in his career for the future. Going forward it’ll be interesting to see where he ends up.

Lehtonen was traded/ waived too correct? My gut says Detroit but I can’t recall.

Columbus.
yikes and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 5:05 p.m.
torontos finest
Columbus.

Not a great destination. Anywhere else would've used him as a proper OFD.

Hope he gets another chance somewhere.
yikes and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 5:19 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
Not a great destination. Anywhere else would've used him as a proper OFD.

Hope he gets another chance somewhere.

I'm sure he can if he wants it. He was hyped as hell before getting signed and I'm sure there'll still be teams interested.
Saskleaf and yikes liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 7:32 p.m.
Ummmmm...... What the actual f*ck is that MacEwan suspension?
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 7:36 p.m.
Go leafs go
Ummmmm...... What the actual f*ck is that MacEwan suspension?

It blows my mind how Wilson gets a fine, and then they hand out 3 suspensions (Gost, Buch, and MacEwan)
May 7, 2021 at 7:40 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Saskleaf
It blows my mind how Wilson gets a fine, and then they hand out 3 suspensions (Gost, Buch, and MacEwan)

I know it's stupid that Wilson didn't get suspended, but maybe the whole NYR Fiasco woke up Parros. At least players are getting suspended now.
Saskleaf and A_Habs_fan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll