SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(PIT/LAK) - 2022 conditional 3rd round pick + 2023 conditional 4th round pick for Carter

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 12, 2021 at 9:39 a.m.
sensonfire
Edited Apr. 12, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.
So, here are the conditions on the picks:

The 2022 3rd round pick can upgrade to a 2nd round pick if the Penguins reach the 2020-21 Stanley Cup Final and Carter plays in at least 50% of the games.

2023 4th becomes 3rd if Carter plays in 50% of Pittsburgh's playoff games this year.

In other words, the absolute best case scenario the Kings get after paying half of Carter's salary to play for Pittsburgh thru the end of next season is ...

A 2nd and a 3rd.

Andrew Shaw went for basically that in June of 2019 and the Habs didn't retain any salary.

Shaw's cap hit is 3.9 million where as Carter's cap hit for Pittsburgh is 2.6 million.

Another decent comparable is the Carl Soderberg trade from around the same time as the Andrew Shaw trade, which the Coyotes won hands down.

Pittsburgh came out ahead here.

I voted for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 9:47 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: sensonfire
So, here are the conditions on the picks:

The 2022 3rd round pick can upgrade to a 2nd round pick if the Penguins reach the 2020-21 Stanley Cup Final and Carter plays in at least 50% of the games.

2023 4th becomes 3rd if Carter plays 50+ games after this season.

In other words, the absolute best case scenario the Kings get after paying half of Carter's salary to play for Pittsburgh thru the end of next season is ...

A 2nd and a 3rd.

Andrew Shaw went for basically that in June of 2019 and the Habs didn't retain any salary.

Shaw's cap hit is 3.9 million where as Carter's cap hit for Pittsburgh is 2.6 million.

Another decent comparable is the Carl Soderberg trade from around the same time as the Andrew Shaw trade, which the Coyotes won hands down.

Pittsburgh came out ahead here.

I voted for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

It's all good until you realize Carter isn't even an NHL player anymore. Look at his analytics. Absolutely terrible
Apr. 12, 2021 at 9:55 a.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
It's all good until you realize Carter isn't even an NHL player anymore. Look at his analytics. Absolutely terrible

He's an old man just like me, so let's cut him some slack here wink

Regardless, it's pretty obvious Burkie wanted Getzlaf from Anaheim but Getzlaf wouldn't waive his NMC.

So, he got Carter instead.

Carter's analytics from the regular season won't mean anything if he bounces back in the playoffs.

He's a stand up, character-guy, a seasoned playoff veteran, a good pro and he's not a pending UFA.

Pittsburgh did well here.
doublem24 liked this.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 4:49 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: aadoyle
Pittsburgh got the 3c they desperatly needed. Picture

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Mccann-Malkin-Kapenan
Zucker-Carter-Rodrigues
ZAR-Bleuger-Tanev

this team could honestly be a legit cup threat

Desperte? No way. Blueger is playing VERY WELL. Of course Carter help us giving Pens some depth score and experience, but have Blueger as our 3rd line Center was not even close to a problem. Anyway, I liked the trade.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
Desperte? No way. Blueger is playing VERY WELL. Of course Carter help us giving Pens some depth score and experience, but have Blueger as our 3rd line Center was not even close to a problem. Anyway, I liked the trade.

Carter rn is an upgrade over Bleuger at the 3c role. Pens needed a veteran 3c to carry that line and while Bleuger was playing nice he was not the solution especially when it meant that perfect 4th line would have needed to be seperate
Willian_Cardoso liked this.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 5:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mhockey91
Upgrade McCann? Clearly you haven’t watched any pens games this year

yep, while Carter will be an upgrade over McCann at 3c hes still not better. McCann honestly looks much better at wing and with this addition Pittsburgh now has 4 solid lines

The

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust line
McCann-Malkin-Kapenan line
Zucker-Carter-Rodrigues/Gaudreau/Zohan/whoever
ZAR-Bleuger-Tanev
Apr. 12, 2021 at 5:42 p.m.

LOL of course the biggest Penguins hater on this site says this
Apr. 12, 2021 at 5:43 p.m.
Carter's been terrible for the past few seasons, the fact LA got draft picks back for him is a massive win for them. Pittsburgh continues to trade picks for over the hill veterans. This takes the cake for the worst trade thus far in this trade deadline.

My god you’re bias... time to mute
Apr. 12, 2021 at 5:50 p.m.
WentWughes
My god you’re bias... time to mute

Why on earth would I hate the penguins? I'm from Cole Harbour and naturally cheer for them because of Crosby. Doesn't mean I have to like trades that are clearly terrible.

If you want to mute me, that's your choice, not like I'm going to miss out on anything inciteful.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 5:52 p.m.
Why on earth would I hate the penguins? I'm from Cole Harbour and naturally cheer for them because of Crosby. Doesn't mean I have to like trades that are clearly terrible.

If you want to mute me, that's your choice, not like I'm going to miss out on anything inciteful.

Clearly terrible? LMAO get lost. You’ve been chirping the pens for months on your other account before you got caught. Pens paid very little for Carter and got a good middle 6 guy who can still skate and be effective. On pace for nearly 20 goals and 40 points on a bad LA team with a 6% shooting percentage and terrible line mates. Couldn’t care less what you think
Apr. 12, 2021 at 5:54 p.m.
WentWughes
Edited Apr. 15, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.
Clearly terrible? LMAO get lost. You’ve been chirping the pens for months on your other account before you got caught. Pens paid very little for Carter and got a good middle 6 guy who can still skate and be effective. On pace for nearly 20 goals and 40 points on a bad LA team with a 6% shooting percentage and terrible line mates. Couldn’t care less what you think

Look at his analytics, that's all I'm saying. I'm hoping it works out and he rejuvenates his career. Just because I'm not a Homer fan that can't see a loss for a loss doesn't mean I hate the team. Get over yourself. It's a bad trade for Pittsburgh. Keep watching me say the truth or mute me. easy as that
Apr. 15, 2021 at 6:07 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
Carter rn is an upgrade over Bleuger at the 3c role. Pens needed a veteran 3c to carry that line and while Bleuger was playing nice he was not the solution especially when it meant that perfect 4th line would have needed to be seperate

That's exactly what I meant.
Apr. 29, 2021 at 10:18 p.m.
Look at his analytics, that's all I'm saying. I'm hoping it works out and he rejuvenates his career. Just because I'm not a Homer fan that can't see a loss for a loss doesn't mean I hate the team. Get over yourself. It's a bad trade for Pittsburgh. Keep watching me say the truth or mute me. easy as that

Since coming to Pittsburgh Carter has looked excellent... wanna take that back now lol? Meanwhile staal on the other hand... seriously can’t believe you said the Carter deal was the worst on deadline day lol
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 30, 2021 at 12:25 a.m.
WentWughes
Since coming to Pittsburgh Carter has looked excellent... wanna take that back now lol? Meanwhile staal on the other hand... seriously can’t believe you said the Carter deal was the worst on deadline day lol

Take what back? He was terrible analytically (so was Staal) and is playing on the 2nd line with McCann and Kapanen. There's nothing to take back.
Apr. 30, 2021 at 2:11 a.m.
I make Articals.
Pittsburgh got the 3c they desperatly needed. Picture

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Mccann-Malkin-Kapenan
Zucker-Carter-Rodrigues
ZAR-Bleuger-Tanev

this team could honestly be a legit cup threat

Knock on wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr. 30, 2021 at 10:26 a.m.
Take what back? He was terrible analytically (so was Staal) and is playing on the 2nd line with McCann and Kapanen. There's nothing to take back.

He’s playing on a second line with Zucker and McCann, and that line is dominating possession / scoring chances when they are on the ice. His analytics were not terrible on LA, (but they weren’t great either) and his most frequent line mates was like AA.

You called the Carter trade a “terrible trade” and “the worst of the deadline”. Meanwhile he’s fit like a glove on pit and has given us the opportunity to run a really strong 3rd line when healthy. Your take couldn’t have been more wrong.
Saskleaf and hockeyfanatic05 liked this.
Apr. 30, 2021 at 8:09 p.m.
WentWughes
He’s playing on a second line with Zucker and McCann, and that line is dominating possession / scoring chances when they are on the ice. His analytics were not terrible on LA, (but they weren’t great either) and his most frequent line mates was like AA.

You called the Carter trade a “terrible trade” and “the worst of the deadline”. Meanwhile he’s fit like a glove on pit and has given us the opportunity to run a really strong 3rd line when healthy. Your take couldn’t have been more wrong.

It was a terrible trade at the time. It's worked out in the early days thus far no doubt, but this wasn't a good deal.
Apr. 30, 2021 at 10:25 p.m.

It was a terrible trade at the time. It's worked out in the early days thus far no doubt, but this wasn't a good deal.

A terrible trade? He was on pace for nearly 40 points and 20 goals on a terrible kings trade, and pens only gave up a third for 50% retention. It was a great deal for pit. You were wrong, and you won’t own up to it. Even if Carter **didn’t** work out in pit, all we gave up was a 3rd round pick. That’s far from the “worst” trade at deadline lol. Even if he stunk (which he absolutely hasn’t), it’s still not that bad of a trade since the cost was so low
Saskleaf and hockeyfanatic05 liked this.
May 1, 2021 at 9:09 a.m.
WentWughes
A terrible trade? He was on pace for nearly 40 points and 20 goals on a terrible kings trade, and pens only gave up a third for 50% retention. It was a great deal for pit. You were wrong, and you won’t own up to it. Even if Carter **didn’t** work out in pit, all we gave up was a 3rd round pick. That’s far from the “worst” trade at deadline lol. Even if he stunk (which he absolutely hasn’t), it’s still not that bad of a trade since the cost was so low

He makes 5.3 Million in the dead cap Era and it's for another year. That's what made me say it was an awful trade.

Maybe I should wait more than 5 games to admit if I was wrong, no?
May 1, 2021 at 9:36 a.m.
He makes 5.3 Million in the dead cap Era and it's for another year. That's what made me say it was an awful trade.

Maybe I should wait more than 5 games to admit if I was wrong, no?

He was retained 50%, lowering the cap hit to 2.7 million ish. And if carter did in fact suck, it’s plausible that he may have retired, thus saving cap next season for pit. All in all, pens paid very little for Carter. It was a very low risk trade. You could’ve simply said “I don’t think Jeff Carter is that good of a player anymore.” And I wouldn’t have barked at you. But to say it was “the worst trade of the deadline”. When we acquired someone for a third round pick making 2.8 million with the possibility of retirement in the offseason is just wrong. You don’t have to love the trade, but it was a very low risk deal for pit since day one. Clearly it’s paying off now, but even if it wasn’t, it’s not like we paid a lot...
May 6, 2021 at 8:12 p.m.
Carter's been terrible for the past few seasons, the fact LA got draft picks back for him is a massive win for them. Pittsburgh continues to trade picks for over the hill veterans. This takes the cake for the worst trade thus far in this trade deadline.

A hat trick for Carter tonight… what a terrible trade though applaud
May 6, 2021 at 8:45 p.m.
WentWughes
A hat trick for Carter tonight… what a terrible trade though applaud

Dude I'm really living rent free in your head tears of joy

I'm glad it's actually paid off, I wasn't very welcoming to the trade (obviously), but he's fit in very well in Pittsburgh. Let's just hope he can do the same next year.
mhockey91, SevenLeg and Saskleaf liked this.
May 6, 2021 at 11:17 p.m.
Chiggy

Really?

4Rhj5sx.png

Looks pretty decent to me.
mhockey91 liked this.
May 6, 2021 at 11:18 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Chigurrhh
Really?

4Rhj5sx.png

Looks pretty decent to me.

For 5 Million in the dead cap era? That's not good.
May 6, 2021 at 11:19 p.m.
WentWughes
I just realized it's only 2.6 Million. It's really not that bad
Saskleaf, mhockey91 and Chigurrhh liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit