Biggest losers of the trade deadline

Who lost the trade deadline?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 12, 2021 at 7:53 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
Edited Apr. 12, 2021 at 10:40 p.m.
Biggest Losers

Capitals: Capitals got a 3rd for Siegenthaler who has barely played this year (dont know if he was injured most likely taxi squad) which seems like a steal. Maybe he gets something going in NJ. They also pick up Raffl who is pretty good with retention not a bad pickup. But the trade that absolutely tanks them is the Panik/Vrana/1st/2nd for Mantha. Mantha isnt a bad player by an stretch, in fact hes comparable to Vrana in terms of production but is more injury prone. But the cost of getting rid Panik was a first and a second? That is a steep steep price to pay.

Oilers: Edmonton is having a great year so youd think theyd splurge a little as a reward right? Well they got Kulikov for a conditional pick. Thats it. Holland is probably being conservative but kind of a lackluster deadline for them.

Hurricanes: Another disappointing deadline, instead this time they lost the only trade they made. Fluery had a good year last year and is still young and they trade for a pick and a 29 year old. Carolina is a young team with a lot of success so it makes a little sense to stand pat but you want to see them reward their young team.

Canucks: What is benning doing? He didnt do anything terribly awful like trading away a first for nothing but still a mismanagement of assets. Nucks lose underperforming 3C Gaudette for a bottom 6 forward.
Downgrade a 4th for 5th for some reason and get a 6th for Jordie Benn which is fine I guess.

Sabres: You knew this one was coming. First off let me just say Im very sorry Buffalo fans you guys have been through a lot of pain. The Sabres deadline started off decent getting a 3rd for Montour. Florida gets a replacement for Ekblad while BUF gets a decent pick. Probably could have gotten more but not horrible. Now to the other trade. Hall once had 93 points. Hall is a consistent 60 point player (at a minimum). Yes he was having an awful awful year but teams would bet that on his past history as a player and see that its not the norm. Teams will definitely pay the price to get him even if hes having a bad year. Alas Buffalo trades him the day before the deadline (Around midnight). How?? How can you not wait and call someones bluff to get more value out of hall? You get a late second and an inconsistent middle 6 winger for him? Truly awful asset management. I'd be livid if I was a sabres fan but Im sure all their feelings are used by being let down for the thousandth time by management. You will be good someday Buffalo I'm rooting for you.

DMs (dishonorable mentions):

Jets: You got Jordie benn. Cool. For a serious contender they didnt make a splash at all.
Wild: Your team is finally exciting with Kaprizov and you do *checks notes* absolutely nothing. Should have done something considering how well your team is playing.
Predators: You have Gudbranson and thats an automatic loss although you got him for nothing so its like you won but on the other hand its nothing.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 8:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Washington ... HUGE overpayment for Mantha.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 8:18 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Washington ... HUGE overpayment for Mantha.

Yes. But they have a better lineup than they had yesterday. Buffalo and Vancouver selling in a seller's market for peanuts far worse result.
rangersandislesfan, Saskleaf, capfriendlyaccount and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 8:45 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I’ll nominate Toronto. They gave up way too much for Foligno and gave up a 3rd for a couple meaningless games of Rittich.

Although they might be 2nd worst to the Capitals. Not sure why Edmonton is being mentioned here.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 8:50 p.m.
Jinx god
Sabres, Hall got the same return as Janmark...
Number 1 Kahun Fan
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I’ll nominate Toronto. They gave up way too much for Foligno and gave up a 3rd for a couple meaningless games of Rittich.

Although they might be 2nd worst to the Capitals. Not sure why Edmonton is being mentioned here.

I still think foligno can play and seems to be a playoff performer too. And Andersen just might be done considering injuries so might not just be a couple games for Rittich.
EDM is just there because they didnt do much to improve when they still have many flaws. Most of the “losers” are contending teams not doing anything or very little.

Not sure about that. Similar to the Goodrow and Coleman trades from last year. If it wins them a cup who cares. You can only judge the Leafs and the Caps after the playoffs if they don't win a cup with what they did.

Buffalo and Vancouver should've gotten much bigger returns for the pieces they moved in a year when teams were paying a premium for rentals and salary retention.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 8:53 p.m.
Actually. Boston. Now they've added Hall they're picking 1st overall. That 2nd rounder is now effectively a late 1st. :-P
Apr. 12, 2021 at 9:09 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Rangsey
Not sure about that. Similar to the Goodrow and Coleman trades from last year. If it wins them a cup who cares. You can only judge the Leafs and the Caps after the playoffs if they don't win a cup with what they did.

Buffalo and Vancouver should've gotten much bigger returns for the pieces they moved in a year when teams were paying a premium for rentals and salary retention.

Those were much more reasonable deals because both players had term on steals of deals and Tampa Bay had/has a ridiculously tight cap situation.

And I don’t know what you expected Vancouver and Buffalo. They got what they could in a buyer’s market, and it’s not their fault that teams weren’t stupid enough to overpay for their assets.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 9:31 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: CFMan
I still think foligno can play and seems to be a playoff performer too. And Andersen just might be done considering injuries so might not just be a couple games for Rittich.
EDM is just there because they didnt do much to improve when they still have many flaws. Most of the “losers” are contending teams not doing anything or very little.

Foligno is still a decent player, but he isn’t worth a 1st in a buyer’s market when you look at what Hall and Palmieri got in return. They paid the highest price for the 3rd best forward rental.

No matter what Rittich isn’t needed. The Leafs are a lock to make the playoffs and it’s extremely likely that they win the division, so it wouldn’t really matter if they lost a few points by playing Hutchinson. And Campbell is obviously able to play the playoff games if Andersen is out.

You can’t blame Edmonton. They don’t have any cap space and who do you think they should’ve gotten that ended up getting traded? Kulikov was a solid pick up, and neither of their other needs (2nd line LW, Right Shot 3C) were available on the market, other than Hall who they wouldn’t have been able to fit under the cap.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 9:56 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
Foligno is still a decent player, but he isn’t worth a 1st in a buyer’s market when you look at what Hall and Palmieri got in return. They paid the highest price for the 3rd best forward rental.

No matter what Rittich isn’t needed. The Leafs are a lock to make the playoffs and it’s extremely likely that they win the division, so it wouldn’t really matter if they lost a few points by playing Hutchinson. And Campbell is obviously able to play the playoff games if Andersen is out.

You can’t blame Edmonton. They don’t have any cap space and who do you think they should’ve gotten that ended up getting traded? Kulikov was a solid pick up, and neither of their other needs (2nd line LW, Right Shot 3C) were available on the market, other than Hall who they wouldn’t have been able to fit under the cap.

Sure, but they addressed the weaknesses they have went out and got the players. Foligno is just icing on the offense cake that TOR has. Andersen has carried most of the goaltending weight of TOR. Cambell has played 11 games itd be nice to have some more insurance when it comes to goal tending and rittich provides that. If Campbell falters Rittich is decent enough to carry his weight. Dont really want Hutchinson starting in the playoffs if freddy is injured and Cambell cant cut it.

Yes edmonton is cap strapped but theyre essentially the same top heavy team they were last year. Turris failed as 3C so maybe Zajac, soderberg, raffl, Bennett, carter, or glendenning. Never said kulikov was a bad pickup just that what they did was not enough to set them apart from their competition.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 10:45 p.m.
Go leafs go

Gave up too much? Yes. But this team is now extremely deep and has a strong chance of going far, Riitch is there so they are stuck starting Hutch (we all know how that went for Colorado) and he might be a long term guy, and Folingo is a guy who can really help this team in the playoffs. Plus they already have a good prospect pool, so it's not like they completly tore down their future or anything. If they win the cup those trades are more than worth it. Even if they don't it's likely they will resign at least one of those guys, and still be a contender next season. The real losers are Winnipeg and Edmonton, these 2 teams added only depth defenseman, while in addition to depth defense Toronto added depth in net and a top 9 forward. Toronto is now the heavy favourites to win the north. Would be shocked if they lose in round 1 or 2.
Apr. 13, 2021 at 12:05 a.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Sabres, Hall got the same return as Janmark...

Not GM Adam's fault. There's only one team willing to trade for Hall and one team he was willing to go to and that was Boston. Zero leverage there.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2021 at 6:31 a.m.
Washington, Sabres, Canucks are all good options imo
Apr. 13, 2021 at 10:31 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Sure, but they addressed the weaknesses they have went out and got the players. Foligno is just icing on the offense cake that TOR has. Andersen has carried most of the goaltending weight of TOR. Cambell has played 11 games itd be nice to have some more insurance when it comes to goal tending and rittich provides that. If Campbell falters Rittich is decent enough to carry his weight. Dont really want Hutchinson starting in the playoffs if freddy is injured and Cambell cant cut it.

Yes edmonton is cap strapped but theyre essentially the same top heavy team they were last year. Turris failed as 3C so maybe Zajac, soderberg, raffl, Bennett, carter, or glendenning. Never said kulikov was a bad pickup just that what they did was not enough to set them apart from their competition.

Quoting: Saskleaf
Gave up too much? Yes. But this team is now extremely deep and has a strong chance of going far, Riitch is there so they are stuck starting Hutch (we all know how that went for Colorado) and he might be a long term guy, and Folingo is a guy who can really help this team in the playoffs. Plus they already have a good prospect pool, so it's not like they completly tore down their future or anything. If they win the cup those trades are more than worth it. Even if they don't it's likely they will resign at least one of those guys, and still be a contender next season. The real losers are Winnipeg and Edmonton, these 2 teams added only depth defenseman, while in addition to depth defense Toronto added depth in net and a top 9 forward. Toronto is now the heavy favourites to win the north. Would be shocked if they lose in round 1 or 2.

The thing is if you have David Rittich starting in the playoffs, then you’ve already lost the series unless the team you’re facing has also lost their starting goalie.

And if the Leafs resign Foligno or Rittich, then they’re immediately making themselves worse because it means they won’t be able to resign one of Hyman or Andersen.

And sure, the Leafs would be justified in the trade if Foligno ends up being a valuable piece of a cup winning team, but the whole point of this thread is to judge trades now and project the likely outcome of these, and a Toronto Stanley Cup win is not likely whatsoever.

And Glendening isn’t any better than Turris. Carter would retire if traded to Edmonton, and the rest don’t fit the right shot C they wanted. Plus after last year, Holland isn’t going to make any rash decisions by trading away picks for players that don’t help.

And you can’t get upset at Winnipeg for overpaying for the single top 4 defenseman that was moved at the deadline. Plus, IMO Heinola could probably be just as good or better than Savard, and by not adding anyone big they aren’t blocking him.

tears of joy And I’ll definitely hold it against you that in the unpredictable NHL you’re so sure that Toronto will make it to the conference finals because they added an extra 3rd liner. You do know that they have Alex Galchenyuk on their 1st line, right? Get back to me in 2 months and we’ll see how that went.

I don’t understand how you can think this. The top 4 teams in the division are all good and very similar to each other. IMO anyone can beat anyone, and it would be unsurprising to see any of the teams in the conference finals.
Apr. 13, 2021 at 10:58 a.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
The thing is if you have David Rittich starting in the playoffs, then you’ve already lost the series unless the team you’re facing has also lost their starting goalie.

And if the Leafs resign Foligno or Rittich, then they’re immediately making themselves worse because it means they won’t be able to resign one of Hyman or Andersen.

And sure, the Leafs would be justified in the trade if Foligno ends up being a valuable piece of a cup winning team, but the whole point of this thread is to judge trades now and project the likely outcome of these, and a Toronto Stanley Cup win is not likely whatsoever.

And Glendening isn’t any better than Turris. Carter would retire if traded to Edmonton, and the rest don’t fit the right shot C they wanted. Plus after last year, Holland isn’t going to make any rash decisions by trading away picks for players that don’t help.

And you can’t get upset at Winnipeg for overpaying for the single top 4 defenseman that was moved at the deadline. Plus, IMO Heinola could probably be just as good or better than Savard, and by not adding anyone big they aren’t blocking him.

tears of joy And I’ll definitely hold it against you that in the unpredictable NHL you’re so sure that Toronto will make it to the conference finals because they added an extra 3rd liner. You do know that they have Alex Galchenyuk on their 1st line, right? Get back to me in 2 months and we’ll see how that went.

I don’t understand how you can think this. The top 4 teams in the division are all good and very similar to each other. IMO anyone can beat anyone, and it would be unsurprising to see any of the teams in the conference finals.

Jordie Benn a top 4 dman? You cant be serious lmaooo.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 13, 2021 at 11:01 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Jordie Benn a top 4 dman? You cant be serious lmaooo.

I meant to say not overpaying for a top 4 D man, lol. I was referring to Savard.
Apr. 13, 2021 at 11:46 a.m.
Go leafs go

Goalies are unpredictable. David Riitch has been Calgary's 1b for a while. Starting him in the playoffs is not an automatic loss by any means. And not resigning Andersen is not bad at all. Rather have Riitch because he'll likely be much cheaper as well. I think he'll be a long term guy.
Folingo, yes, they overpaid. And chances are he'll only be in Toronto for the rest of this year. But he's a guy who puts Toronto firmly at the top of the division. They are now the deepest team in the north, and I highly disagree each North team has an equal chance. Toronto easily has a better chance. That does not mean it isn't possible for another team to make the conference finals, but it's highly unlikely.
capfriendlyaccount liked this.
Apr. 13, 2021 at 2:16 p.m.
WentWughes
Maybe I'm extremely bias, but Leafs

Foligno for 1st + 4th + 4th

They paid more for a 3rd liner PWF than Hall. He's pretty much all but guaranteed to return to CBJ so it's a pure rental. I don't think this trade pushes them over the top over Tampa or Colorado or really any SC favorite. Maybe this trade helps them win a few series but is that really worth a 1st + 4th + 4th?

5th for Hutton

This isn't that big of a loss, but considering the market (Benn for 6th, Gustafsson for 7th, Merrill for 5th) they still overpaid)

Rittich for 3rd

First off, the Leafs don't need him, Campbell has been holding down the fort and Hutchinson is good enough to ride until the playoffs. If the Leafs don't win the division, it will have nothing to do with the goalies. 2nd, Rittich isn't even that good, he's been a 1B for most of his career and has never put up "good numbers" I wouldn't even call him a good backup. If the Leafs do resign him, they will likely overpay him what he is.

Barabanov for Suomela

This is pretty straight forward, a 4th line/13th forward for a career AHLer. Another small loss
Apr. 13, 2021 at 2:21 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Saskleaf
Goalies are unpredictable. David Riitch has been Calgary's 1b for a while. Starting him in the playoffs is not an automatic loss by any means. And not resigning Andersen is not bad at all. Rather have Riitch because he'll likely be much cheaper as well. I think he'll be a long term guy.
Folingo, yes, they overpaid. And chances are he'll only be in Toronto for the rest of this year. But he's a guy who puts Toronto firmly at the top of the division. They are now the deepest team in the north, and I highly disagree each North team has an equal chance. Toronto easily has a better chance. That does not mean it isn't possible for another team to make the conference finals, but it's highly unlikely.

I wouldn’t call them the deepest team in the North, but they are probably the best on paper. Anyways the playoffs should be very interesting in Canada. And as a habs fan, I wish the Leafs the worst of luck. Sticking Out Tongue
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 13, 2021 at 3:01 p.m.
Go leafs go
I wouldn’t call them the deepest team in the North, but they are probably the best on paper. Anyways the playoffs should be very interesting in Canada. And as a habs fan, I wish the Leafs the worst of luck. Sticking Out Tongue

They are the North's deepest team I would say, it's close. With the addition of Folingo they have so many options for their top 6, and they will now have a stacked 3rd line. I will give the habs and jets credit though (not Edmonton though lol) as they are also deep. The things is though, they have the best superstar talent expect for Edmonton, and they have garbage depth.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit