SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Detroit Red Wings

Steve Yzerman

Apr. 12, 2021 at 9:25 p.m.
HeLlO
Do you think Steve Yzerman can get the Red Wings to the level that he got Tampa to?
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 10:09 a.m.
Yes.

However, he could make all of the best decisions in the world for the team and at the end of the day it comes down to luck in some cases.
For example draft lottery luck can be the difference between getting a guy like McDavid at 1 overall vs a guy like Eichel at 2 overall.
Eichel is a superstar but I'd rather have McDavid 10 times out of 10.
Speaking of Eichel and luck, injuries are another thing out of Yzerman's control.
I'm glad the Red Wings got Lucas Raymond last draft but he had a bad injury this year as well. Hopefully a one and done thing for his career.

If you're strictly talking about what IS in Y's control I think he's done a great job so far.
Almost every single trade he's made it seems like the general consensus between fans and "experts" is that Detroit won the trade.
Signing guys like Namestikov & Ryan for short, fair deals on a rebuilding team that they know won't win a lot is smart.
Taking guys like Staal with a good draft pick also a smart move.
I like the Mantha Vrana trade.
He was probably trying to get as many draft picks for guys at the TDL but some teams didn't bite.
It didn't help that the biggest trade bait Bernier got hurt right before the TDL.

To have a chance at a cup I think what the Red Wings need is at least 1 elite superstar player. Examples: Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid, Kucherov, Rask, Vasilevskiy
I know it's easier said than done but that's what Stanley Cup winners have. Along with an elite goalie or a goalie that gets hot in the playoffs.
Maybe Raymond or the Wing's next draft pick will be that elite superstar. Or hopefully a goalie Detroit has in the pipeline turns out to be amazing.
I think Vrana, Larkin and some other guys are very very good just not on the level of players I mentioned above.
Seider is looking like he has the potential to be one of the best Defenseman in the league so there's that.

Lastly, for a serious cup run or just to get better I think they need to get a new head coach.

Only time will tell but yes I think he can do it, it just might take a long while.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 25, 2021 at 1:30 a.m.
Quoting: Octopus_Guy
Yes.

However, he could make all of the best decisions in the world for the team and at the end of the day it comes down to luck in some cases.
For example draft lottery luck can be the difference between getting a guy like McDavid at 1 overall vs a guy like Eichel at 2 overall.
Eichel is a superstar but I'd rather have McDavid 10 times out of 10.
Speaking of Eichel and luck, injuries are another thing out of Yzerman's control.
I'm glad the Red Wings got Lucas Raymond last draft but he had a bad injury this year as well. Hopefully a one and done thing for his career.

If you're strictly talking about what IS in Y's control I think he's done a great job so far.
Almost every single trade he's made it seems like the general consensus between fans and "experts" is that Detroit won the trade.
Signing guys like Namestikov & Ryan for short, fair deals on a rebuilding team that they know won't win a lot is smart.
Taking guys like Staal with a good draft pick also a smart move.
I like the Mantha Vrana trade.
He was probably trying to get as many draft picks for guys at the TDL but some teams didn't bite.
It didn't help that the biggest trade bait Bernier got hurt right before the TDL.

To have a chance at a cup I think what the Red Wings need is at least 1 elite superstar player. Examples: Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid, Kucherov, Rask, Vasilevskiy
I know it's easier said than done but that's what Stanley Cup winners have. Along with an elite goalie or a goalie that gets hot in the playoffs.
Maybe Raymond or the Wing's next draft pick will be that elite superstar. Or hopefully a goalie Detroit has in the pipeline turns out to be amazing.
I think Vrana, Larkin and some other guys are very very good just not on the level of players I mentioned above.
Seider is looking like he has the potential to be one of the best Defenseman in the league so there's that.

Lastly, for a serious cup run or just to get better I think they need to get a new head coach.

Only time will tell but yes I think he can do it, it just might take a long while.

I agree is going to take a while. Especially since the Wing's are currently playing themselves out of a top 10 pick. They can't catch a break when it comes to the draft lottery. Like any lottery it's all luck and nothing more but Detroit has moved back in every draft lottery they have been a part of.
Octopus_Guy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll