$1,250,000$1,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
    Don't sign Simmonds, don't trade for Crouse, carry 20 skaters and keep kerfoot who is better than Staal at this point
    DraftCentralMP liked this.
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
    A team in a cap crunch shouldn't be paying over 1 mil for fourth liners
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 12:21 p.m.
    Roster Architect
    Don't hate this, though I don't really see Staal as an option for the team. Keefe has been saying pretty much since the day he took over that he wants a 3rd line as a shutdown line and Staal isn't really a fit for that. I think Riley Nash will impress enough to be brought back and centre the shutdown line, Keefe said he's liked him since he saw him in the bubble so I think he'll impress him now.

I do like the top 6 though! I think Robertson has been the answer all along and they're just waiting for him to be ready for more minutes. And Galch has look even better on the top line than he did with Tavares and Nylander so the fit is there.

I think Bogosian will play himself out of Toronto. He hasn't been great this season but he hasn't been bad. I just think he'll be looking for a bigger raise this off-season and won't be able to fit in Toronto, although I think they highly consider bringing him back.

A lot of this obviously depends on the expansion draft and Kerfoot being taken for salary relief. I assume you protected the 8-1 option? Which would leave Kerfoot and Dermott available. I think Seattle wold take Kerfoot too, but if I'm Dubas then I'm throwing something at Ron Francis to make sure he takes Kerfoot so I knew I had the money to re-sign Hyman and not have to worry about leaving him exposed as a pending UFA.

Goaltending is a big question mark to me here. I'm not a big believer in Rittich and I don't think he deserves his same salary after a poor last 2 seasons. Campbell seems too injury prone to be ready for a starter's role so I'd bring in someone that could handle a bigger load if needed. What would your thoughts be on bringing Andersen back on a cheap 1 year deal to prove it again? I think as rough of a year as its been for him it may work out well for Toronto because now they can bring him back cheaper, and see who's really better between him and Campbell.

I actually just posted something pretty similar to what you have here with a lot of the things from my comment here. Check it out if you wanna see more of a visual of what I was thinking:

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/440574?post_id=2266659
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 12:24 p.m.
    I do like the Crouse deal.
    Saskleaf liked this.
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 12:43 p.m.
    Go leafs go
    Quoting: BCAPP
    Don't sign Simmonds, don't trade for Crouse, carry 20 skaters and keep kerfoot who is better than Staal at this point

A team in a cap crunch shouldn't be paying over 1 mil for fourth liners

Kerfoot is likely Seattle bound (provided the leafs protect Holl and go 4-4)
    So, to replace his depth scoring, you need more options. Based on the deadline, the leafs have no problem is paying 4th liners over 1 mil now, and there's no reason they should. And the leafs have realized grit is essentual to success as a team. Simmonds and Crouse provide that. I don't deny Kerfoot is better than Staal. But Staal is cheaper. Also it doesn't have to be Staal, it can be another veteran guy for a similar price, for example, Nash or Goodrow (I think he's a centre...).
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 12:53 p.m.
    Go leafs go
    Quoting: TrueCanuck
    Don't hate this, though I don't really see Staal as an option for the team. Keefe has been saying pretty much since the day he took over that he wants a 3rd line as a shutdown line and Staal isn't really a fit for that. I think Riley Nash will impress enough to be brought back and centre the shutdown line, Keefe said he's liked him since he saw him in the bubble so I think he'll impress him now.

I do like the top 6 though! I think Robertson has been the answer all along and they're just waiting for him to be ready for more minutes. And Galch has look even better on the top line than he did with Tavares and Nylander so the fit is there.

I think Bogosian will play himself out of Toronto. He hasn't been great this season but he hasn't been bad. I just think he'll be looking for a bigger raise this off-season and won't be able to fit in Toronto, although I think they highly consider bringing him back.

A lot of this obviously depends on the expansion draft and Kerfoot being taken for salary relief. I assume you protected the 8-1 option? Which would leave Kerfoot and Dermott available. I think Seattle wold take Kerfoot too, but if I'm Dubas then I'm throwing something at Ron Francis to make sure he takes Kerfoot so I knew I had the money to re-sign Hyman and not have to worry about leaving him exposed as a pending UFA.

Goaltending is a big question mark to me here. I'm not a big believer in Rittich and I don't think he deserves his same salary after a poor last 2 seasons. Campbell seems too injury prone to be ready for a starter's role so I'd bring in someone that could handle a bigger load if needed. What would your thoughts be on bringing Andersen back on a cheap 1 year deal to prove it again? I think as rough of a year as its been for him it may work out well for Toronto because now they can bring him back cheaper, and see who's really better between him and Campbell.

I actually just posted something pretty similar to what you have here with a lot of the things from my comment here. Check it out if you wanna see more of a visual of what I was thinking:

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/440574?post_id=2266659

Thanks!

Staal doesn't have be the guy they sign, Nash is perfectly fine as well.

Bosogian might leave. I think the leafs defense will have Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl (or if he is lost to Seattle, his replacement), and one of Dermott, Hutton or Bososian kept (and also Sandin and Liljgren). If the leafs would rather keep Dermott, then that is also fine.

As for Kerfoot and the Kraken, I don't see a point in doing anything there. If I'm Francis I take Kerfoot, because 1-2c options are limited (Kerfoot is ideally a 3c, but if Seattle has him as a 2c, they aren't doing too bad). If they want to take Dermott, let them. He's a 3rd pairing defenseman and at this point I don't think he'll be anything more with the team. If they want to take Hyman, which I doubt they will, then sending them a late pick may be smart, but Hyman could come right back to Toronto, he has been clear he wants to stay, even if it's for a little less money.

I'd be fine to have Andersen back for a cheap one year deal if it's less than he currently earns. Personally I'm confident in a Campbell Riitch tandem though. They both have shown if the workload is right they can be a starter/tandem goalie. If one is bad, the other can be the starter.
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 2:47 p.m.
    Quoting: Saskleaf
    Kerfoot is likely Seattle bound (provided the leafs protect Holl and go 4-4)
    So, to replace his depth scoring, you need more options. Based on the deadline, the leafs have no problem is paying 4th liners over 1 mil now, and there's no reason they should. And the leafs have realized grit is essentual to success as a team. Simmonds and Crouse provide that. I don't deny Kerfoot is better than Staal. But Staal is cheaper. Also it doesn't have to be Staal, it can be another veteran guy for a similar price, for example, Nash or Goodrow (I think he's a centre...).

The problem is having a tough or gritty fourth line doesn't make your team tough or gritty. If you want the team grittier you need it throughout the line up
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 2:48 p.m.
    Also I'm in agreement above re Bogosian.

Bogosian has now had a good cup run and if he continues on his pace a good year playing regular minutes.

I think he tries to get something in the 2-2.75 mil range with some term.

Say a 3 year 7 mil dollar contract in a team that wants some toughness. We just don't have the cap room to offer it
    Saskleaf liked this.
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
    Go leafs go
    The problem is having a tough or gritty fourth line doesn't make your team tough or gritty. If you want the team grittier you need it throughout the line up

Fair, but a gritty 4th line is better than a non gritty 4th line, which is almost useless.
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 3:47 p.m.
    Quoting: Saskleaf
    Fair, but a gritty 4th line is better than a non gritty 4th line, which is almost useless.

I think if Dubas/Keefe make a checking third line than our fourth line will be sheltered scoring.
    Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll