Forums/Armchair-GM

Blockbuster or Bust

Created by: Zubrowka
Team: 2021-22 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 13, 2021
Published: Apr. 13, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know everyone is targeting UFA Dougie Hamilton, but that doesn't seem realistic given how disappointing the Flyers have been this season. If they must acquire a #1D, or at least someone with that pedigree, attracting a UFA should prove a tall order. On the other hand, San Jose may make a lot of sense as a trade partner. Not long ago, Justin Braun was acquired for draft picks (2nd & 3rd), so there is at least a history of Wilson & Fletcher making deals. Could Erik Karlsson be dealt?

While there are both salary cap and injury concerns that come with making a move for EK, fortunately Chuck Fletcher has the prospects and picks to make it happen and Doug Wilson has shown an appetite for retaining salary in order to acquire picks as recently as the trade deadline. This is obviously a bigger step than short TDL retentions, however.

Sharks fans, bear in mind that while Ghost provides some like-for-like value now, Zamula is the key piece in the return as arguably the Flyers' top D prospect, while Willman looks ready for a depth forward role (17 points, +8 over 14 games in AHL Lehigh this season), and the picks of course provide additional future value.

Cap calculations: The Sharks immediately shave off $3.75M cap with the deal, factoring in both retention and Ghost's contract with 2 seasons remaining. After that, it's $8.25 cap freed up for San Jose, while EK will then be in his mid 30s on $8.25 AAV for Philly.

If you're cringing at the retention, I submit to you that $11.5 is untenable for anyone to pickup EK given the history of injuries and decline in production since his glory days with Ottawa. To move him at all, retention would be required by anyone trying to contend across the league.

If you're cringing from Philly's perspective at the cap hit for an injury-challenged D in his 30s, yes, this is a desperate move, but it's probably what we should expect from our front office at this point. Is it worth the risk? I think so, but let me hear your take.

At least this would be an interesting shakeup for both teams? Feedback welcome.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
2$1,250,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
6$4,166,667
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,000,000
1$4,000,000
Trades
PHI
    Seattle Expansion Draft
    ANA
    1. Voracek, Jakub
    2. 2021 3rd round pick (PHI)
    PHI
    1. Karlsson, Erik ($3,250,000 retained)
    SJS
    1. Gostisbehere, Shayne
    2. Willman, Max
    3. Zamula, Yegor
    4. 2021 1st round pick (PHI)
    5. 2021 2nd round pick (PHI)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$66,397,262$0$1,025,000$15,102,738

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $4,137,500$4,137,500
    RW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $4,333,333$4,333,333
    C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 5
    $3,571,429$3,571,429
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333
    C
    RFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,725,000$4,725,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $4,166,667$4,166,667
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    G
    RFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LD, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,550,000$2,550,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,075,000$1,075,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 2:39 p.m.
    Karlsson has not been the same since signing that deal in SJ now way should anyone acquire that deal. $8M+ at 30 for the next 6 years does not seem like a good long term move
    Zubrowka liked this.
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
    Roster Architect
    I love the bold idea and something that's clearly outside the box thinking!

But I think as is, San Jose won't have any interest in this deal. When's the last time someone retained for that long? Last time I can think of is the Kessel to Pittsburgh deal which was only 15% of his contract and $1.2M in real money. In a cash strapped and flat cap world, I can't see San Jose wanting to retain $3.25M per season and the returning package doesn't really help that. If they're looking for prospects, I'd think Cam York or Bobby Brink would have to start to be involved, and I think they'd want a young roster player as well. I'd say either Sanheim or Myers.. so for handedness and argument sake, I'd say a package likely starts with Brink and Myers. Sending Gostibehere helps with the cap, but I think Gostisbehere just needs a change of scenery and he'd do very well. Maybe you could entice San Jose with Nolan Patrick since Philadelphia has been shopping him hard instead of Brink. But already sending 2 roster players I wouldn't think a 3rd would be something Philly would want to do. I'd also argue that a 1st wouldn't be involved. Karlsson hasn't been his old MVP self and its a rough contract to take on, so I think most teams will steer clear of a 1st going the other way.

San Jose Sharks
    F - Bobby Brink
    D - Phillippe Myers
    D - Shayne Gostisbehere
    2021 4th round pick (PHI)
    2022 2nd round pick (PHI) - Conditional (becomes a 1st in 2022 if Karlsson wins the Norris trophy in 2021/2022 or Philadelphia wins the 2022 Stanley Cup)

Philadelphia Flyers
    D - Erik Karlsson (15% retained - $1.65M)
    F - Noah Gregor
    2022 5th round pick (BUF)

This would be something that might be closer for both teams to make IMO. I think Philadelphia would look for a depth forward at centre in the deal as well in case Frost doesn't pan out next season as a 3C so I added in Gregor for a fit.
    Zubrowka liked this.
    Apr. 13, 2021 at 2:59 p.m.
    Edited Apr. 13, 2021 at 3:18 p.m.
    Quoting: TrueCanuck
    I love the bold idea and something that's clearly outside the box thinking!

But I think as is, San Jose won't have any interest in this deal. When's the last time someone retained for that long? Last time I can think of is the Kessel to Pittsburgh deal which was only 15% of his contract and $1.2M in real money. In a cash strapped and flat cap world, I can't see San Jose wanting to retain $3.25M per season and the returning package doesn't really help that. If they're looking for prospects, I'd think Cam York or Bobby Brink would have to start to be involved, and I think they'd want a young roster player as well. I'd say either Sanheim or Myers.. so for handedness and argument sake, I'd say a package likely starts with Brink and Myers. Sending Gostibehere helps with the cap, but I think Gostisbehere just needs a change of scenery and he'd do very well. Maybe you could entice San Jose with Nolan Patrick since Philadelphia has been shopping him hard instead of Brink. But already sending 2 roster players I wouldn't think a 3rd would be something Philly would want to do. I'd also argue that a 1st wouldn't be involved. Karlsson hasn't been his old MVP self and its a rough contract to take on, so I think most teams will steer clear of a 1st going the other way...

Thanks for the thorough reply. Outside the box was exactly what I was going for. Just a fun thought experiment, trying to take account of what these GMs, and the pressures they are under, might make possible.

Regarding retention, I knew this would come up. One one hand, there simply is no comparable deal because no one has an $11.5 AAV but EK himself. You are right, Kessel was the appropriate length and 15% of the salary retained for 6 years is less than the 28.2% retained for 6 here. That said, those same Penguins have on their books retention for Nick Bjugstad at $2M AAV on just a $4.1M contract sold to Minnesota. That's 48.78% of the total. I could dig for hours and fail to find an exact match, but the point is there are transactions retaining greater percentages at shorter length. It is what it is, but I disagree that 28.6% is outside the realm of probability should EK be dealt.
    (Edit: Consider as well that there are buyouts that have been more severe, and teams still took that on. For example, the Devils have Cory Schneider's buyout at 2mil AAV for 4 seasons. The Kings have $4M AAV from Phaneuf this season before it drops to 1 and change. Also, I beg of you to look at the NY Rangers buyout situation cumulatively; it's a lot of salary and they got nothing for it, unlike a trade and retain scenario).

Regarding the consideration going the other way, I want to stress that it is an open discussion whether Zamula or York is the better prospect. York has some more name recognition b/c of draft status, but Zamula's production in juniors was frankly insane and he has looked the part in Lehigh (AHL) while being asked to focus on his defensive game. Brink is a good one to bring up; I think he could be bargained into the deal, but not at less retention. That doesn't add up. Selling Myers or Patrick doesn't make much sense either, as the Flyers are trying to win now/soon and these guys are in the NHL right now, albeit while struggling. Neither of them are high in stock price right now, so younger prospects performing well should look more attractive to San Jose than some arguable busts. All that said, I have no idea what the exact right consideration is; I'm just a guy taking a stab at a blockbuster move that could happen, around these core components anyway.

I agree Philly could add a 3C if Frost doesn't pan out, but I expect he gets the chance before they bring someone in to fill the role. Maybe mid-season or at the deadline you see a 3C move if there is a void there and the rest of the team is clicking. (Edit: There is also the option of moving Giroux back to center, and shifting Hayes down to 3C, which frankly I am adamant about doing).

Thanks again for your feedback.
    TrueCanuck liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll