Forums/Armchair-GM

2021-22 Blackhawks with Flower and Loui

Created by: polyidos
Team: 2021-22 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 15, 2021
Published: Apr. 15, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Blackhawks have some cap space next season and there are a few teams it makes sense for them to make trades with for some cap relief. Vegas can shed a big chunk by moving Fleury and will need a cheap back up in return. Vancouver needs to lose Loui to resign Pettersson and Hughes. Winnipeg needs to a defenseman and were reportedly one of the teams sniffing about Zadorov before taking Benn. I think Brett Connolly will be left unprotected for the expansion draft and will be more attractive than de Haan for a new franchise making a Vegas type new roster of reject veterans to try for the playoffs in their first season. Toronto needs a cheap back up goalie and might take a shot with Subban.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
3$925,000
1$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$2,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$925,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Fleury, Marc-André
  2. 2021 1st round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. Delia, Collin
  2. 2021 7th round pick (FLA)
CHI
  1. Eriksson, Loui
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Dickinson, Josh [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 7th round pick (CHI)
CHI
  1. 2021 1st round pick (WPG)
WPG
  1. Zadorov, Nikita [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
This would probably be a sign and trade at 2 or 3 years at $3.5 million a season.
CHI
    SEATTLE KRAKEN EXPANSION DRAFT SELECTION: I believe Connolly will be left unprotected in the expansion draft and Seattle will take him because he's signed for 2 seasons, will help them get to the salary cap floor, has Stanley Cup winner experience, and fits the mold of Vegas's "reject veterans" assembled for a playoff push model if Seattle wants to mimic them.
    CHI
    1. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$65,402,676$452,439$5,082,500$16,097,324

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
    $3,700,000$3,700,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $6,400,000$6,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    C, RW
    RFA - 1
    $2,625,000$2,625,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
    LW, C, RW
    RFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    RFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,538,462$5,538,462
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,850,000$3,850,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,550,000$4,550,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    RFA - 3
    $6,875,000$6,875,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 15, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
    Hop on the Slaftrain
    Fleury, after the season he's having, is not a 1st-round-pick caliber dump.
    Riley816 and ChiHawk liked this.
    Apr. 15, 2021 at 10:11 p.m.
    A first to lose fleury? He’s worth a first at this rate.

A first for zadorov? Zadorov is good but you will be lucky to get much more than a 2nd for him lol
    Apr. 15, 2021 at 10:22 p.m.
    Quoting: SevenLeg
    Fleury, after the season he's having, is not a 1st-round-pick caliber dump.

Yes, Fleury is having a great season. The issue the Golden Knights are going to have is the salary cap and a need for roster flexibility. They've been playing with a shortened roster for a lot of this season. They're not going to be able to do that in a full regular season with a Winter Olympics break for 2 weeks of hard played hockey smashed in the middle. They'll need roster flexibility next year with cheaper players and it'll come at a premium because the only significant contracts they have coming off the books are Alex Martinez at $4m and Tomas Nosek at $1.25m and they'll want to resign Martinez probably. Cody Glass probably takes one of the forward spots along with a couple other ELC forwards.
    ChiHawk liked this.
    Apr. 15, 2021 at 10:26 p.m.
    Quoting: arafay
    A first to lose fleury? He’s worth a first at this rate.

A first for zadorov? Zadorov is good but you will be lucky to get much more than a 2nd for him lol

See Fleury answer above. I think the Blackhawks were asking for a 1st round pick for Zadorov and didn't trade him because they didn't get it. Negotiations have started with Zadorov wanting $4m a season and he's not going to get that from the Hawks and they're not going to let him go to arbitration in case he gets awarded something at $4m or greater. Zadorov will be traded and I think they aim for a 1st or a 2nd and a prospect.
    Apr. 15, 2021 at 10:26 p.m.
    Hop on the Slaftrain
    Quoting: polyidos
    Yes, Fleury is having a great season. The issue the Golden Knights are going to have is the salary cap and a need for roster flexibility. They've been playing with a shortened roster for a lot of this season. They're not going to be able to do that in a full regular season with a Winter Olympics break for 2 weeks of hard played hockey smashed in the middle. They'll need roster flexibility next year with cheaper players and it'll come at a premium because the only significant contracts they have coming off the books are Alex Martinez at $4m and Tomas Nosek at $1.25m and they'll want to resign Martinez probably. Cody Glass probably takes one of the forward spots along with a couple other ELC forwards.

I 100% get your points, but all the players they could realistically trade for cap space have value, even if it could be decreased due to the cap situation. They could sell Fleury for less than what he's worth, but they still won't give up anything to get rid of him.
    polyidos, ChiHawk and arafay liked this.
    Apr. 15, 2021 at 10:33 p.m.
    The first 5 out of 5 'wow' ACGM I've seen in a while.

No chance Vegas trades a 1st with Fleury.
    No chance Van trades a 2nd and 3rd to dump Ericsson. Especially if the Beagle rumors are true.
    No team is trading a 1st for Zadorov.
    Seattle, imo, takes young players and stays as close to the expansion draft floor, ~49 mil, and fills the top with ufas. Borgstrom or Stillman would be the choice. Brett Connolly types will be there from every team.
    Take a chance and trading a 2nd rd pick are two different things. Toronto has Hutchinson and backup goalies will be plentiful.

Wow...
    arafay liked this.
    Apr. 15, 2021 at 10:35 p.m.
    Quoting: SevenLeg
    I 100% get your points, but all the players they could realistically trade for cap space have value, even if it could be decreased due to the cap situation. They could sell Fleury for less than what he's worth, but they still won't give up anything to get rid of him.

If an NHL GM isn't asking for a draft pick along with a salary cap move for a veteran like Fleury in his late 30s, even though he's been performing great (and realistically could fall off a cliff next year at 37), they're not doing their job right because GMs are going to be stuck against for a flat cap for at least 2-3 more seasons and it might be 4 or 5 years. GMs with cap space hold the leverage, not the other way around. I know this has been true to a degree before but the flat cap era is going to be much different and cap space will be golden, knight.
    Apr. 15, 2021 at 11:02 p.m.
    Quoting: Riley816

Seattle, imo, takes young players and stays as close to the expansion draft floor, ~49 mil, and fills the top with ufas. Borgstrom or Stillman would be the choice. Brett Connolly types will be there from every team.
    Take a chance and trading a 2nd rd pick are two different things. Toronto has Hutchinson and backup goalies will be plentiful.

I'm definitely shooting for the moon with the trade hopes. Subban is a former 1st round pick and decent back up option that'll land a quality pick or prospect. It might not be with Toronto and Fleury is a high hope that requires Subban be moved off the roster. Toronto's pick will likely be very late in the 2nd round so I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility for a low 2nd round/high 3rd round scenario.

In the expansion draft, I'm fairly confident the Hawks will protect Toews, Kane, DeBrincat, Strome, Hagel, Nylander, and Borgstrom at forward and Keith, Murphy, and Zadorov at defenseman. Borgstrom was the main piece of Connolly/Stillman trade for the Hawks so they're fine with losing one of the other 2. If the Hawks don't make any moves, Seattle will have a choice of Kampf, Carpenter, Gaudette at forward, de Haan or Stillman at defenseman, and Delia or Subban at goaltender. So, yes, Stillman could be the pick but I suspect otherwise. I think their roster will have more of a veteran look because Seattle is going to be expected to win in their first season and go to the playoffs like Vegas did or they're a failure.
    Apr. 16, 2021 at 5:51 a.m.
    Flower is still good why are they giving up a 1st to get rid of him?

Loui takes a 1st.

Thats a tough buy for a D.

Subban is not worth a 3rd. Especially for Toronto who doesn't need him.
    Apr. 16, 2021 at 12:05 p.m.
    Please win the cup
    3rd for Malcom Subban
    polyidos liked this.
    Apr. 16, 2021 at 6:06 p.m.
    Quoting: DJSums17
    Flower is still good why are they giving up a 1st to get rid of him?

Subban is not worth a 3rd. Especially for Toronto who doesn't need him.

Vegas has played games with 5 defensemen or 10 forwards for games this season because so they're so cap strapped. They've made it work, not great, for a shorterned season. As I said in an earlier reply, they need to dump salary to have a more flexible roster next season. They can't play a full NHL regular season that includes a 2 week break for the Winter Olympics where some of their players will play 2 hard weeks of hockey and expect to continue to win games. They're going to wear their players out. They wouldn't dump Fleury because they want to but because they're committed to Lehner long term and a cheap backup goalie for Lehner makes sense with the flat cap for the next 2-5 seasons. If I'm a GM, I'm not taking on Fleury's salary - even with him playing like he is - without Vegas giving me a 1st round pick too. That's going to be the new reality for a flat cap that could last 5 seasons (per Elliotte Friedman) - cap space is going to be traded with high draft picks and top prospects like never before. A good GM with cap space has all the leverage and should hold it like a kidnapper waiting for a ransom payment.

The Leafs have Campbell and Hutchinson signed for next season. If Hutchinson is such a good goalie, why isn't he their back up right now? They're going to roll all of next season with Campbell and Hutchinson?
    Apr. 16, 2021 at 6:07 p.m.
    Quoting: MapleLeafsfan2003
    3rd for Malcom Subban

If the Leafs do what they supposed to in the post season this year, their 2nd round pick will be near the end of the 2nd round and almost a 3rd round pick anyway. Plus, they don't have a 3rd round pick to trade for the next couple seasons.
    MapleLeafsfan2003 liked this.
    Apr. 16, 2021 at 7:15 p.m.
    Quoting: polyidos
    Vegas has played games with 5 defensemen or 10 forwards for games this season because so they're so cap strapped. They've made it work, not great, for a shorterned season. As I said in an earlier reply, they need to dump salary to have a more flexible roster next season. They can't play a full NHL regular season that includes a 2 week break for the Winter Olympics where some of their players will play 2 hard weeks of hockey and expect to continue to win games. They're going to wear their players out. They wouldn't dump Fleury because they want to but because they're committed to Lehner long term and a cheap backup goalie for Lehner makes sense with the flat cap for the next 2-5 seasons. If I'm a GM, I'm not taking on Fleury's salary - even with him playing like he is - without Vegas giving me a 1st round pick too. That's going to be the new reality for a flat cap that could last 5 seasons (per Elliotte Friedman) - cap space is going to be traded with high draft picks and top prospects like never before. A good GM with cap space has all the leverage and should hold it like a kidnapper waiting for a ransom payment.

The Leafs have Campbell and Hutchinson signed for next season. If Hutchinson is such a good goalie, why isn't he their back up right now? They're going to roll all of next season with Campbell and Hutchinson?

After this year Flower has 1 year left at 7 mill. It'd be cheaper to buy him out or with what more teams are doing is doing a 3 team trade to retain up to 75%. You wouldn't have to eat that much though. Doing a trade to say a team LIKE pens. Vegas eats 1 or 2 mill then a team like Buffalo eats another 1 or 2 mill. Flower is fine at 4-5 mill aav. No need to trade a 1st away to dump him.

Leafs have Campbell and Hutch signed but that's not the only goalies they have. They still have a good starter in Freddy that they can sign or Rittich that I'd rather have as Leafs back up. They don't need to pay a 2nd for an unproven goalie that's on his what 3rd or 4th team in a couple years. Plus Leafs already have 2 young goalies that are close in Woll and Scott. Plus they have VV.
    Jul. 27, 2021 at 8:50 p.m.
    The "Fleury traded to the Blackhawks" part I got right.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll