Forums/Armchair-GM

The Long Term Center Depth Reason to Not Trade for Eichel

Created by: Shakabakes
Team: 2020-21 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 16, 2021
Published: Apr. 16, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Eichel trades to the Rangers keep popping up on this site Left and Right. And I get it. He's an exceptional player. It's considered a Long Term position of need. And we root for a NYC team, so we feel we need to have every big name that is rumored about.

While an Eichel trade would look great for 21-22 (especially with Mika), how would things look after that Season?

1) Zibenejad is gone. Plain and simple. Can't pay top dollar for two 1C's. If Eichel is on board, Zibenejad is gone.

2) Strome would likely get moved in an Eichel trade to offset salary. Considering there is uncertainty as to whether the Rangers would resign him now, you'd be shutting the door on him returning completely.

So after 21-22, Zibenejad and Strome are no longer on the Roster. Eichel is your 1C. Chytil is (hopefully) your 2C. And at that point, you have traded away one of your 3 young wingers (Kakko, Kravtsov or Lafreniere) and a young D (probably Schneider).

After 1 exciting year, your basically back to square 1 with Center Depth. On top of the fact, that your assets have decreased.

In my opinion, even if Strome does walk after 21-22 (likely due to the Cap), I would turn to the Free Agent market.

They can either resign Zibenejad. Keep an eye on Barkov (Hell Yeah!!!), Hertl or maybe even Couturier.
Have Chytil behind them on the Depth Chart.

AND THEN...potentially use one of those trade chips for a younger 2C behind them (not as pricey). Increase your Overall depth at C, rather than emptying the cupboards for just 1 Season with two 1C's.

Eichel is tempting. But if the Rangers go after him, they'll have just 1 year of that Eichel-Zibenejad combo, before they are right back to having just 2 organizational Centers.

Stay the course for next year. Sign the Top Free Agent available. And then make a lesser trade to boost the C Depth behind them. Smarter move.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$76,578,966$0$11,212,500$4,921,034
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,425,000$2,425,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LD
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 3
$833,333$833,333
LD
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500
LD
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$4,800,000$4,800,000 ($3,725,000$4M$3,725,000$4M)
RD
UFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000 ($75,000$75K$75,000$75K)
LD
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 16, 2021 at 10:36 a.m.
I agree. I dont think it makes much sense for the Rangers to do this trade long term. Let the kids play.
Shakabakes and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 10:44 a.m.
Jaromir_Jagr_the_leg
Zib would likely cost 7-8.5 mil on next contract which they could fit. The issue is the year up when laf and Miller need new contracts and we’d have to move both kreids and troubs. Personally I think they should look into trading kreids this summer anyways. We’re gonna be paying too much for a 3lw bc we have too much depth ahead of him. Another idea is not trading strome and rather trading chytil in the deal. This not only provides better depth down the middle but also gives us two options. If Mika is too expensive we resign strome on a less dollar contract and have Barron play 2C but if we can get Mika too sign for around 7.5 then we should be good. But let’s assume we trade strome, kakko, gauthier, Georgiev, Robertson and a 1st and 2nd and get eichel and Thompson back. Lines would look like.

Lines hopefully without kreids
Panarin-eichel-kravtsov
Laf-Zib -Buch
Barron-chytil-Blackwell
(Whatever for 4th line)

The point is we Have a sick team then. The Tampa bay lighting have cap issue you can’t make every decision on cap they’ll be fine for this next year and the year after That likely but the challenge is the year after that.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 10:54 a.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
The Rangers are a team I've always been neutral on. I've never hated them, nor have I ever liked them. So as a completely neutral person on this, I 100% think the rangers should NOT go after Eichel. Build from within. Personally I don't think Eichel is as much as the hype. Talented? Yes. Franchise player? No.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 11:13 a.m.
Quoting: Nikolay_Zherdev
Zib would likely cost 7-8.5 mil on next contract which they could fit. The issue is the year up when laf and Miller need new contracts and we’d have to move both kreids and troubs. Personally I think they should look into trading kreids this summer anyways. We’re gonna be paying too much for a 3lw bc we have too much depth ahead of him. Another idea is not trading strome and rather trading chytil in the deal. This not only provides better depth down the middle but also gives us two options. If Mika is too expensive we resign strome on a less dollar contract and have Barron play 2C but if we can get Mika too sign for around 7.5 then we should be good. But let’s assume we trade strome, kakko, gauthier, Georgiev, Robertson and a 1st and 2nd and get eichel and Thompson back. Lines would look like.

Lines hopefully without kreids
Panarin-eichel-kravtsov
Laf-Zib -Buch
Barron-chytil-Blackwell
(Whatever for 4th line)

The point is we Have a sick team then. The Tampa bay lighting have cap issue you can’t make every decision on cap they’ll be fine for this next year and the year after That likely but the challenge is the year after that.

Strome would cost less than Zibenejad, but still wouldn't be cheap.

Rangers are stuck with Kreider and Trouba for next 3 Seasons until their Modified NTC's kick in.
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 11:16 a.m.
Quoting: faulkmydzingel
The Rangers are a team I've always been neutral on. I've never hated them, nor have I ever liked them. So as a completely neutral person on this, I 100% think the rangers should NOT go after Eichel. Build from within. Personally I don't think Eichel is as much as the hype. Talented? Yes. Franchise player? No.

Could not agree more, well said.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 11:20 a.m.
Jimbo1119
Lots to consider here:
1) How far apart are NYR from what they'd be willing to offer Zibs and what he will be asking? Same with Strome?
2) What pieces would be involved in an Eichel deal? This in itself predicated from BUFF generating a "bidding war"- particularly involving LA
And factors mudding the waters a bit more:
1) Eichel health
2) Zibs' health- given his concussion history and his next contract takes him well into his 30s
3) Chytl- still shows a ton of promise...but still hasn't shown he's ready to lock down 2C
4) The young guys (who might be part of an Eichel package)- most have shown so much promise that the thought of parting with any of Chytl, LaF, Kakko, or Krav is almost unthinkable. While Kakko not putting up #'s- the guy is a boards and backchecking beast...what a difference a year makes. And Krav- small sample size...but looks like bonafide top 6.
5) Strome- all the guy does is produce close to pt/game...and he's stopped the dumb penalties. Naysayers will point out that it's since he plays with Pan...but that's not really true...and even if it is- why break up that producing combo?

None of us have any of the info mentioned above- so all we can do is speculate....so I guess staying the course is the best route to take as the NYR org sorts through the answers to these questions.

In the meantime though, whichever way they go, NYR need to bolster C depth...between Z. Jones, Tarmo, Nils, Robertson, Rykov, Schneider, Hajek...wide range of prospects here- and a few more can be added- I would move 1 or a few of these guys to add a C prospect or two who projects as a minimum mid 6 C...which brings us back to what would be needed in an Eichel package! I'm sure JG will sort it out (yikes!!)
Shakabakes liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 11:26 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Imo, Rangers would be better cap-wise if they traded for Eichel.

Reasoning: Right now, Strome makes $4.5 mil. He would want a raise after next year and the Rangers don't want to give him a $2 mil raise.
After next years, Kaako's ELC is over. He would want a bridge deal of around $4 mil. Keyword: Bridge Deal
Georgiev is an expensive backup at $2.5

6 mil (Strome's raise)+ 4 (Kaako's bridge deal) + 2.5 (Georgiev) > 10 M (Eichel)

It helps them long term because Eichel>>>Strome and you are only paying Eichel $4 mil more. Also Kaako is on a bridge deal and he would want a big deal after his bridge deal.

Rangers lose depth by trading Kaako and Strome but get a #1 franchise center that is locked up. All of the pieces the Rangers are trading are replaceable.

Regardless of this trade, the Rangers are still screwed cap wise with the Kreider and Trouba contract. If they somehow manage to trade one of them (VERY UNLIKELY), they should pull the trigger on this trade.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: Devil1122
Imo, Rangers would be better cap-wise if they traded for Eichel.

Reasoning: Right now, Strome makes $4.5 mil. He would want a raise after next year and the Rangers don't want to give him a $2 mil raise.
After next years, Kaako's ELC is over. He would want a bridge deal of around $4 mil. Keyword: Bridge Deal
Georgiev is an expensive backup at $2.5

6 mil (Strome's raise)+ 4 (Kaako's bridge deal) + 2.5 (Georgiev) > 10 M (Eichel)

It helps them long term because Eichel>>>Strome and you are only paying Eichel $4 mil more. Also Kaako is on a bridge deal and he would want a big deal after his bridge deal.

Rangers lose depth by trading Kaako and Strome but get a #1 franchise center that is locked up. All of the pieces the Rangers are trading are replaceable.

Regardless of this trade, the Rangers are still screwed cap wise with the Kreider and Trouba contract. If they somehow manage to trade one of them (VERY UNLIKELY), they should pull the trigger on this trade.

But as stated, gaining Eichel also costs you Zibenejad, by default. Can't pay two 1C's past 21-22.

So acquiring Eichel essentially costs you two Centers (Strome and Zibenejad), Picks, possibly 2 Prospects (say Kakko and Schneider) and/or Georgiev.

Waiting for Barkov (the one guy I am really obsessed over as a possibility) just costs money. After which, in the event that pieces like Georgiev/Kakko/Schneider need to be moved, they are moved for pieces that compliment your new 1C, rather than just the 1C alone.

More bang for the buck.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 1:40 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Shakabakes
But as stated, gaining Eichel also costs you Zibenejad, by default. Can't pay two 1C's past 21-22.

So acquiring Eichel essentially costs you two Centers (Strome and Zibenejad), Picks, possibly 2 Prospects (say Kakko and Schneider) and/or Georgiev.

Waiting for Barkov (the one guy I am really obsessed over as a possibility) just costs money. After which, in the event that pieces like Georgiev/Kakko/Schneider need to be moved, they are moved for pieces that compliment your new 1C, rather than just the 1C alone.

More bang for the buck.

Getting Eichel does not mean Zib is gone. From my calculations, Kaako+Strome+Georgeiv=12.5

Eichel+Zib (with 2.75 raise) = 12.75

If the Rangers want Barkov, first he might not leave Florida. And if he does, then he's getting a huge pay. Im guessing 1-2 mil more than Eichel
Apr. 16, 2021 at 2:10 p.m.
Quoting: Devil1122
Getting Eichel does not mean Zib is gone. From my calculations, Kaako+Strome+Georgeiv=12.5

Eichel+Zib (with 2.75 raise) = 12.75

If the Rangers want Barkov, first he might not leave Florida. And if he does, then he's getting a huge pay. Im guessing 1-2 mil more than Eichel

You think the Rangers will give Zibanejad a Long Term extension after acquiring Eichel?

While numerous young players (many playing at a high level) are coming off their ELC'S?

With the large Contracts of Panarin (worth every penny), Buchnevich (possibly), Kreider and Trouba (both troublesome) still on the books?

I don't know about that. The key to icing a quality team against the Cap is to spread the wealth a bit. Not sure they would commit so much to one position.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 2:23 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Shakabakes
You think the Rangers will give Zibanejad a Long Term extension after acquiring Eichel?

While numerous young players (many playing at a high level) are coming off their ELC'S?

With the large Contracts of Panarin (worth every penny), Buchnevich (possibly), Kreider and Trouba (both troublesome) still on the books?

I don't know about that. The key to icing a quality team against the Cap is to spread the wealth a bit. Not sure they would commit so much to one position.

I think they will. If not, then the Eichel trade makes no sense for the Rangers. They would have a worse center core. If they trade for Eichel and the deal includes one of Chytil or Strome, they would extend Zib

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll