Forums/Armchair-GM

Eichel to Minnesota Boredom

Created by: God8069
Team: 2021-22 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 16, 2021
Published: Apr. 16, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Ion know, team would prolly not be great, feel like Savard would be a nice veteran defenseman to bring in, that can still play a nice defensive role. No clue if this price is close, especially with paying extra for someone to play in Buffalo but
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$7,500,000
3$3,000,000
2$1,000,000
3$3,000,000
5$7,000,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,500,000
4$4,500,000
1$2,500,000
2$5,000,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Boldy, Matthew
  2. O'Rourke, Ryan [Reserve List]
  3. Rossi, Marco
  4. 2022 1st round pick (MIN)
  5. 2023 1st round pick (MIN)
BUF
ANA
  1. Miller, Colin
Additional Details:
Seattle
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the COL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$76,013,916$113,916$1,450,000$5,486,084

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$894,167$894,167
C
RFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, C
RFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$3,050,000$3,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
UFA - 4
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$889,166$889,166
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
RFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 16, 2021 at 4:49 p.m.
Go leafs go
Maybe it's just me, but Eichel to Minnisota makes a lot of sense.
If Minny got a 1c like Eichel, since that's their biggest hole by far, they could be a serious cup contender long term.
EsoYeezus69 and God8069 liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 4:55 p.m.
I think many Sabres fans will be very disappointed in the return when (if) Eichel is finally traded.
RazWild liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 5:07 p.m.
God
Quoting: Saskleaf
If Minny got a 1c like Eichel, since that's their biggest hole by far, they could be a serious cup contender long term.

Kaprizov and Eichel together would be so sick, completely agree
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 5:10 p.m.
God
\
Quoting: EccE
I think many Sabres fans will be very disappointed in the return when (if) Eichel is finally traded.

Agreee, but think a deal like this is possible. Maybe a bit optimistic, but if an absolute ransom isn't offered this summer, they just won't trade him, this would mostly be a situation of Minnesota being deadset on aqcuiring Jack
Apr. 16, 2021 at 5:21 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf

Problem is, there are two reasons why this proposal gets shot down by Guerin.

1) Guerin has been quite vocal and stated that he isn't willing to give up futures or the farm just to make a trade. Even if that trade is for a 1C like Eichel, he isn't going to jeopardize the teams future for one player with a massive overpay. Eichel, specifically, isn't worth our top two prospects who're both top 50 prospects in the NHL no less.

It would have to be for one or the other, not both. Rossi or Boldy.

2) Even more importantly, a trade for Eichel by Minnesota standards cannot be just strictly for futures. There are major cap concerns that we simply cannot ignore when you trade for a $10M contract, and are already looking at a minimum of $15-18M needed for resigning Kaprizov, Fiala, and Eriksson-Ek to new contracts. Which doesn't even include Hartman who'll probably cost another $3M or so.

That's out of a grand total of roughly $23M in open cap space this upcoming offseason. And this is all before any prospective Eichel trade even materializes.

Cap needs to be going Buffalo's way, and this cannot, once again, strictly be just for futures as was proposed in this trade.
God8069 and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 5:25 p.m.
God
Quoting: RazWild

1) Guerin has been quite vocal and stated that he isn't willing to give up futures or the farm just to make a trade. Even if that trade is for a 1C like Eichel, he isn't going to jeopardize the teams future for one player with a massive overpay. Eichel, specifically, isn't worth our top two prospects who're both top 50 prospects in the NHL no less.

2) Even more importantly, a trade for Eichel by Minnesota standards cannot be just strictly for futures. There are major cap concerns that we simply cannot ignore when you trade for a $10M contract, and are already looking at a minimum of $15-18M needed for resigning Kaprizov, Fiala, and Eriksson-Ek to new contracts. Which doesn't even include Hartman who'll probably cost another $3M or so.

That's out of a grand total of roughly $23M in open cap space this upcoming offseason. And this is all before any prospective Eichel trade even materializes.

Cap needs to be going Buffalo's way, and this cannot, once again, strictly be just for futures as was proposed in this trade.

Cap is a definitie issue, that's why this is an armchair gm and not an actual deal lol, more of just a hypothetical of value transfering due to boredom
Apr. 16, 2021 at 5:50 p.m.
Quoting: God8069
Cap is a definitie issue, that's why this is an armchair gm and not an actual deal lol, more of just a hypothetical of value transfering due to boredom

Then this would be my counter offer.

Dumba
Rask
Boldy
Khovanov
2021 1st (PIT)
2022 2nd (MIN)

Dumba = 1st + $6M in cap
Rask = $4M for $10M total
Boldy = 1st
Khovanov & 2022 2nd = potential top six center/2nd round value + 2nd = 1st
2021 1st (PIT) = 1st

That's 4 "1st's" or rather 4 1st's in equivalent value.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 6:34 p.m.
Go leafs go

I see your point. I don't believe it's likely, but Minnesota should be should try it. Because no offense to Eriksson Ek, he's good middle 6 centre, but he's not top line and Rossi is unproven so far (he has the potential to be a decent 1c though). I agree that

Dumba
Rask
Boldy
Khovanov
2021 1st (PIT)
2022 2nd (MIN)

Dumba = 1st + $6M in cap
Boldy = 1st
2021 1st (PIT) = 1st

Dumba would likely be part of the deal due to cap. This isn't a bad offer, but I feel like it might be beat, but it's worth offering to Buffalo.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 7:29 p.m.
God

Dumba
Rask
Boldy
Khovanov
2021 1st (PIT)
2022 2nd (MIN)

Dumba = 1st + $6M in cap
Boldy = 1st
2021 1st (PIT) = 1st

Really think this gets outbid, can agree Dumba + Rask in the deal makes sense, but Boldy as a prospect I am a big fan of, but feel a team could outbid that easily as the main piece. Khoanov + a late second = a first? Idk about that, plus I feel like especially late firsts in this draft are not being valued the same by Buffalo, and the league due to the poor draft class and major uncertainty. If they were, then why wouldn't CBJ/NJ offer their 3 firsts and a prospect and just get Eichel?
-
Rossi
Rask
Dumba
2022 First
2023 FIrst
Fits requirement with cap + Boldy and O'Rourke > Rask + Dumba. This is a deal that I could even see being outbid still, depending on how it all falls in a bidding war. But personally if I was Minnesota, I would do this trade
Apr. 16, 2021 at 8:48 p.m.
Really think this gets outbid, can agree Dumba + Rask in the deal makes sense, but Boldy as a prospect I am a big fan of, but feel a team could outbid that easily as the main piece. Khoanov + a late second = a first? Idk about that, plus I feel like especially late firsts in this draft are not being valued the same by Buffalo, and the league due to the poor draft class and major uncertainty. If they were, then why wouldn't CBJ/NJ offer their 3 firsts and a prospect and just get Eichel?
-
Rossi
Rask
Dumba
2022 First
2023 FIrst
Fits requirement with cap + Boldy and O'Rourke > Rask + Dumba. This is a deal that I could even see being outbid still, depending on how it all falls in a bidding war. But personally if I was Minnesota, I would do this trade

Um, NOOOO.... I SAID THE 2ND WAS IN 2022 NOT 2021. 2020 was considered an extremely deep draft, but not the deepest in NHL history. Either 2003 or 2015 take those honors.

2022 is currently projected to be deeper then the 2003/2015 drafts and 2023 more or less on par with 2020 at a minimum.

A 2nd round pick in possibly the deepest draft in NHL history combined with a potential top six center DOES equal a 1st in my opinion. And the only team, that maybe outbid's that is maybe the Rangers, as I don't see LA getting into the Eichel fight. Same for New Jersey. CBJ don't have the resources or assets to get a deal done, except Laine, which defeats the purpose. I chose Khovanov simply because he's 2-3 years away, I could've switched it to Khusnutdinov who's ceiling is higher, but is 3-4 years away from the NHL by comparison, so I would think Khovanov fits their time-line better. Khusnutdinov is probably considered to have value at around a low 1st, so I would swap out the 2nd in 2022 for our 3rd rounder in 2022 instead.

I also just don't think Buffalo should or needs to get a top line potential center back for Eichel, just one with top six potential. In fact, it's better if they don't. Because the bottom line is they're heading for a rebuild if Eichel is moved and at which point I would be looking to get assets back to cover as many holes that I have as possible.

The trade I offered does that, with two prospects of positions of need vs one plus futures.

Don't forget that the Sabers are in position to draft one of Beniers or Johnson, both of whom are on the same level of talent as Rossi. More importantly, Buffalo is all but guaranteed to be in a position to draft one of Wright, Lambert, or Savoie in 2022 if they move Eichel. All of whom have floors of a Barkov.

So as I said, the only team that I think outbid's that is realistically the Rangers, and I don't see them coughing up more than what I offered either.

As for your counter offer, it's fair but I would insist that one of the 1st's be one of our 2021 1st's instead.

I personally wouldn't move Rossi, I would want to keep him for our needs at 2C. Sabers already have Cozens for that, will have Beniers or Johnson, and likely one of Wright/Lambert/Savoie as their future 1C, plus either Khovanov or Khusnutdinov as additional depth.

I would be looking for Boldy back as part of the trade, as the main centerpiece as you put it. Not Rossi.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 9:48 p.m.
God
Um, NOOOO.... I SAID THE 2ND WAS IN 2022 NOT 2021. 2020 was considered an extremely deep draft, but not the deepest in NHL history. Either 2003 or 2015 take those honors.

2022 is currently projected to be deeper then the 2003/2015 drafts and 2023 more or less on par with 2020 at a minimum.

A 2nd round pick in possibly the deepest draft in NHL history combined with a potential top six center DOES equal a 1st in my opinion. And the only team, that maybe outbid's that is maybe the Rangers, as I don't see LA getting into the Eichel fight. Same for New Jersey. CBJ don't have the resources or assets to get a deal done, except Laine, which defeats the purpose. I chose Khovanov simply because he's 2-3 years away, I could've switched it to Khusnutdinov who's ceiling is higher, but is 3-4 years away from the NHL by comparison, so I would think Khovanov fits their time-line better. Khusnutdinov is probably considered to have value at around a low 1st, so I would swap out the 2nd in 2022 for our 3rd rounder in 2022 instead.

I also just don't think Buffalo should or needs to get a top line potential center back for Eichel, just one with top six potential. In fact, it's better if they don't. Because the bottom line is they're heading for a rebuild if Eichel is moved and at which point I would be looking to get assets back to cover as many holes that I have as possible.

The trade I offered does that, with two prospects of positions of need vs one plus futures.

Don't forget that the Sabers are in position to draft one of Beniers or Johnson, both of whom are on the same level of talent as Rossi. More importantly, Buffalo is all but guaranteed to be in a position to draft one of Wright, Lambert, or Savoie in 2022 if they move Eichel. All of whom have floors of a Barkov.

So as I said, the only team that I think outbid's that is realistically the Rangers, and I don't see them coughing up more than what I offered either.

As for your counter offer, it's fair but I would insist that one of the 1st's be one of our 2021 1st's instead.

I personally wouldn't move Rossi, I would want to keep him for our needs at 2C. Sabers already have Cozens for that, will have Beniers or Johnson, and likely one of Wright/Lambert/Savoie as their future 1C, plus either Khovanov or Khusnutdinov as additional depth.

I would be looking for Boldy back as part of the trade, as the main centerpiece as you put it. Not Rossi.

All fair points, but the Rossi/Boldy part is confusing to me. For the Sabres in this trade they have to do go for best available, not need. I think it isn't much of a question that Rossi>Boldy, and especially if it's a choice, I think they'd be foolish to go Boldy. Rossi can be a 1C imo, been a big supporter of him for awhile, very sad Sabres drafted Quinn over him still. Really hope I eat my words on that statement
Apr. 16, 2021 at 11:52 p.m.
All fair points, but the Rossi/Boldy part is confusing to me. For the Sabres in this trade they have to do go for best available, not need. I think it isn't much of a question that Rossi>Boldy, and especially if it's a choice, I think they'd be foolish to go Boldy. Rossi can be a 1C imo, been a big supporter of him for awhile, very sad Sabres drafted Quinn over him still. Really hope I eat my words on that statement

Agreed, Rossi greater than Boldy. Of that, there is no dispute.

However, your not drafting the prospect, you're acquiring the prospect and heading into a rebuild where you need to start thinking strategically about how everything fits once your done. When you draft a player your looking at players who most typically won't be making an impact on the roster for at least 3-4 years. Unless you're drafting within the top ten, in which case players can jump in right away or be up to 2 years out. The margin of error and time necessary is therefore shorter.

But by acquiring a more developed prospect that's closer to the NHL, you need to start thinking about overall team fit too... the best way to put this is its kinda like trying to put a square peg in a round hole analogy. Boldy and Khovanov/Khusnutdinov provides more overall depth and deeper scoring and better overall fit than just Rossi does. You've filled more holes on the upcoming roster and players can play where they best fit and not be forced into playing a secondary position because of a overabundance at one position.

Both Rossi and Cozens are best suited to being a 2C behind a Franchise center on a true cup contending team. They are too good at the center position to reasonably play them on the wing or on a 3rd line.

Shayne Wright is considered to be the next Crosby or McDavid. Brad Lambert a Mackinnon type. Mathew Savoie is a player in the same vein as Matthews, Eichel or Barkov. They are all Franchise level centers who will out class Rossi or Cozens and force them into a 2nd line role. Rossi has top line potential, but is considered to be a low-end 1C, high-end 2C. He's on a similar level to Scheifele, Barzal, or Larkin. So he's not necessarily what you'd call a franchise center like one of those 3 that Buffalo has a chance on.... and this is where strategic fit has to start being considered.

Kent Johnson has playmaking skills on par with Rossi, but there's a good chunk of people who think He'll be a winger in the NHL. This is perfect. Draft him in this years upcoming draft, and one of Wright, Lambert, or Savoie in 2022 and your team is literally going to be a top-six monster with added scoring depth... which is another major issue that Buffalo has.

Boldy-Wright/Lambert/Savoie-Johnson
Olofsson-Cozens-Quinn
Skinner-Khovanov/Khusnutdinov-Reinhart
Asplund-Mittelstadt-Routsalainen

Obviously, things and players could change and there are bad contracts to consider. But the lines above iterate my point. Players and lines complement eachother, are well balanced, and the overall roster is deeper more skilled and should provide much better depth scoring.

You've filled two major holes who fit the roster better instead of just one player who may or may not wind up on the wing or push Cozens to the wing instead.

My point is that keeping Rossi is more beneficial for us for our own center depth and Buffalo taking Boldy and Khovanov/Khusnutdinov is the smarter option for Buffalo due to a sped up rebuild, requiring less holes to fill and increased depth in its offense.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll