Expansion

Created by: arafay
Team: 2021-22 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 16, 2021
Published: Apr. 16, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is my list

The IR is notable exposed and the taxi squad is prospects we likely see full time next year

I propose to Seattle demelo and a 1st for a 2nd and them to take someone other than appleton or berdin
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,000,000
8$6,250,000
2$800,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
12$81,500,000$66,754,646$145,122$0$14,745,354
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 5
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 7
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
UFA - 4
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$894,167$894,167 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
RFA - 3
$817,500$817,500 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, C
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 16, 2021 at 6:12 p.m.
So let me get this straight, you propose that the Jets move out of the 1st round plus give up Demelo and another player (lets call it Jansen Harkins) just to protect Mason Appleton?
Apr. 16, 2021 at 6:12 p.m.
Personally I'd happily let them take Berdin
Apr. 16, 2021 at 6:22 p.m.
What happened with DeMelo? I thought he was a pretty solid #3
Apr. 16, 2021 at 6:40 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy

He sucks and is overrated by fancy stats.
OlegP liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 6:52 p.m.
Quoting: Ducky10
So let me get this straight, you propose that the Jets move out of the 1st round plus give up Demelo and another player (lets call it Jansen Harkins) just to protect Mason Appleton?

And berdin. Also keep in mind the jets only move back like 10-20 spots in the draft while protecting a very good forward who has top 6 potential and is solid in his own end.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 6:53 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy

Solid number 4/5. He won’t be here long though imo with all the prospects coming up and the need for a big shutdown rd
Apr. 16, 2021 at 7:03 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Ask Wheeler to waive and leave Lowry exposed and tell Seattle to do there worst, I don’t understand stand timing on Lowry extension? I’m even a Lowry fan but, you try to slide him through expansion and give him the option of taking 20 million from somebody else.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 10:01 p.m.
Quoting: arafay
And berdin. Also keep in mind the jets only move back like 10-20 spots in the draft while protecting a very good forward who has top 6 potential and is solid in his own end.

I dont think this is very good asset management. Im not sure Appleton’s ceiling is much higher than he’s at right now. Let us not forget Jets missed out on Nick Suzuki trading down to protect enstrom from Vegas and Demelo is steady.
BruinsCharlies liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 11:04 p.m.

Sorry, Appleton is having a nice year and may be solid in his own end but he does not have top 6 potential.
Ducky10 liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 11:07 p.m.
I dont think this is very good asset management. Im not sure Appleton’s ceiling is much higher than he’s at right now. Let us not forget Jets missed out on Nick Suzuki trading down to protect enstrom from Vegas and Demelo is steady.

Let Seattle take who they take. Vegas feasted upon teams in their expansion draft dealings. Teams that forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
Ducky10 and Mr_Canoehead liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 11:09 p.m.
Quoting: BruinsCharlies
Sorry, Appleton is having a nice year and may be solid in his own end but he does not have top 6 potential.

You have clearly not seen him play enough.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 11:17 p.m.
You have clearly not seen him play enough.

I like Winnipeg and Appleton and I haven't seen him play as much as you have I'm sure but I'm sticking with him being a 3RW. Time will tell.
Ducky10 liked this.
Apr. 16, 2021 at 11:21 p.m.
I don't think you will be able to sign Stanley below his qualifying offer.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 1:44 a.m.
Quoting: BruinsCharlies
I like Winnipeg and Appleton and I haven't seen him play as much as you have I'm sure but I'm sticking with him being a 3RW. Time will tell.

I think he could be more. Either with the jets or elsewhere. He drives play, is a superb playmaker, and isn’t afraid to get into the dirty areas. I think it’s reasonable to see him as a 50-60 point winger at some point in his career. He has shown he’s capable of putting up pints in the AHL.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 1:47 a.m.

Keep in mind that without entstrom, there’s almost no way the jets make it the to WCF. He played a crucial role for the jets next to the unpredictable byfuglien. I mean, chiarot eventually took that role but he was very important for the jets for the majority of that season. Also, yes the jets missed on Suzuki but they instead picked up Vesalainen who was looking like a serious steal the year after. He didn’t exactly play his cards right so his development is taking time but I still expect him to become a top 6 winger someday.

I think that the trip to the WCF should be viewed as what the jets got from making that deal with Seattle. Not that they missed out on getting Suzuki. Also keep in mind that the jets essentially had to make a side deal with Vegas to stay off him or enstrom wouldn’t have waived his nmc. Imagine losing Myers to Vegas instead. That would have been brutal for the jets. Absolutely NO way the jets make it to the wcf without him
Apr. 17, 2021 at 9:14 p.m.
Keep in mind that without entstrom, there’s almost no way the jets make it the to WCF. He played a crucial role for the jets next to the unpredictable byfuglien. I mean, chiarot eventually took that role but he was very important for the jets for the majority of that season. Also, yes the jets missed on Suzuki but they instead picked up Vesalainen who was looking like a serious steal the year after. He didn’t exactly play his cards right so his development is taking time but I still expect him to become a top 6 winger someday.

I think that the trip to the WCF should be viewed as what the jets got from making that deal with Seattle. Not that they missed out on getting Suzuki. Also keep in mind that the jets essentially had to make a side deal with Vegas to stay off him or enstrom wouldn’t have waived his nmc. Imagine losing Myers to Vegas instead. That would have been brutal for the jets. Absolutely NO way the jets make it to the wcf without him

enstrom played 43 games the next season only 11 in the playoffs. i love me some Toby enstrom but... c’mon man. Losing Myers maybe they win the cup!! And Suzuki is slightly (I mean a lot) better than Vesalainen.
My point is that’s a lot of assets to give up to keep a 3RW. He’s a pretty nifty player yes, I like him a lot but I’d rather have demelo, harkins and the 1st Rd pick all day!
Apr. 17, 2021 at 10:52 p.m.
enstrom played 43 games the next season only 11 in the playoffs. i love me some Toby enstrom but... c’mon man. Losing Myers maybe they win the cup!! And Suzuki is slightly (I mean a lot) better than Vesalainen.
My point is that’s a lot of assets to give up to keep a 3RW. He’s a pretty nifty player yes, I like him a lot but I’d rather have demelo, harkins and the 1st Rd pick all day!

11 out of 17 games is a lot and he played very well, not to mention he played that entire series against Nashville.

Myers was a beast in those playoffs and is a major reason the jets went so deep. He and Stastny almost single handedly won the jets the game 7 in NSH. To say the jets might have even won’t the cup without him is ill informed.

I’m not saying Vesalainen is even close to Suzuki right now. I just think that had Vesalainen played his cards right in his development, the difference would not have been so large rn imo

Appleton is a big part of why Lowry is having a career year. He’s very important to the jets.it’s only dropping 20 spots.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 7:37 p.m.
Edited Apr. 18, 2021 at 9:58 p.m.
11 out of 17 games is a lot and he played very well, not to mention he played that entire series against Nashville.

Myers was a beast in those playoffs and is a major reason the jets went so deep. He and Stastny almost single handedly won the jets the game 7 in NSH. To say the jets might have even won’t the cup without him is ill informed.

I’m not saying Vesalainen is even close to Suzuki right now. I just think that had Vesalainen played his cards right in his development, the difference would not have been so large rn imo

Appleton is a big part of why Lowry is having a career year. He’s very important to the jets.it’s only dropping 20 spots.

Oh I watched it my friend! Live in fact! As I said, I love Toby enstrom. Myers was ok, let’s not get carried away. He played 3rd pair mostly. I also said I like Appleton a lot but to say he’s the reason Lowry is having success this year is not accurate. I could argue that a big factor in appletons success could be tied to his playing with Lowry!
20 spots is significant as would be losing a steady RHD which is a position the Jets are very shallow in plus another asset likely Jansen Harkins.
It’s simply too much to give up for him. I hope they keep him but...
Apr. 18, 2021 at 10:01 p.m.
Oh I watched it my friend! Live in fact! As I said, I love Toby enstrom. Myers was ok, let’s not get carried away. He played 3rd pair mostly. I also said I like Appleton a lot but to say he’s the reason Lowry is having success this year is not accurate. I could argue that a big factor in appletons success could be tied to his playing with Lowry!
It’s simply too much to give up for him. I hope they keep him but...

Yes, but you risk losing either one of them without that trade. The jets also didn’t trade completely out of the first. It’s 10 spots. Let’s calm down here. I think it was a good trade and it worked out for the jest. The likely good the jest make it to the WCF without either fo them isn’t high. The jets’ strength that year was defence, not depth at forward or elite goaltending like it is now (though hellebuyck was excellent). I’m not so sure they make it without either. It’s much harder at least and for that reason, it was a good move.

I’m not saying that Lowry isn’t good, sorry if that came across like that. All I’m saying is that Lowry has missed a power forward next to him since armia was moved. Without that player, Lowry isn’t nearly as productive. Appleton and no one else is that player for the jets. The jest biggest strength this year is depth, I’m not sure we talk about that depth nearly as much without Appleton.

It’s also to stay off berdin. Brossiot is as good as gone and berdin is our next best bet (even after looking in FA for the price). I just think all those factors considered, the first is worth moving in a not so deep draft
Ducky10 liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 10:50 p.m.
Yes, but you risk losing either one of them without that trade. The jets also didn’t trade completely out of the first. It’s 10 spots. Let’s calm down here. I think it was a good trade and it worked out for the jest. The likely good the jest make it to the WCF without either fo them isn’t high. The jets’ strength that year was defence, not depth at forward or elite goaltending like it is now (though hellebuyck was excellent). I’m not so sure they make it without either. It’s much harder at least and for that reason, it was a good move.

I’m not saying that Lowry isn’t good, sorry if that came across like that. All I’m saying is that Lowry has missed a power forward next to him since armia was moved. Without that player, Lowry isn’t nearly as productive. Appleton and no one else is that player for the jets. The jest biggest strength this year is depth, I’m not sure we talk about that depth nearly as much without Appleton.

It’s also to stay off berdin. Brossiot is as good as gone and berdin is our next best bet (even after looking in FA for the price). I just think all those factors considered, the first is worth moving in a not so deep draft

Oh man, love the passion! Appleton is NOT a power forward. I never said it wasn’t a good move, it absolutely seemed to be at the time! I’m saying in hind sight Nick Suzuki would look pretty good in Aviator blue!
It’s just to much to give up. Learn the lesson, They will lose a player, that’s the point. I’d rather lose one forward (you say yourself it’s the strength of the team) and keep the solid RHD in Demelo, whatever other asset you would lose (Harkins) and the higher pick. They are not taking Berdin. If it’s maybe a second and a deal that they take Harkins or Niku I’m ok with that but your proposal is a lot!
Apr. 19, 2021 at 1:23 a.m.
Oh man, love the passion! Appleton is NOT a power forward. I never said it wasn’t a good move, it absolutely seemed to be at the time! I’m saying in hind sight Nick Suzuki would look pretty good in Aviator blue!
It’s just to much to give up. Learn the lesson, They will lose a player, that’s the point. I’d rather lose one forward (you say yourself it’s the strength of the team) and keep the solid RHD in Demelo, whatever other asset you would lose (Harkins) and the higher pick. They are not taking Berdin. If it’s maybe a second and a deal that they take Harkins or Niku I’m ok with that but your proposal is a lot!

Appleton totally is a powerforward. He’s still developing but he’s a young powerforward, no doubt about that. He drives hard to the net, plays the body, plays hard along the boards, etc, which are all qualities of a powerforward.

I think the lesson the jets learnt (contrary to other teams) is that they should be making another move with Seattle to protect the guys they need to. Tbh, I’m not much of a demelo fan so I’m guilty there and I think that if the jets can move him and get a different guy in FA they should.

Keep in mind, the jets aren’t moving the first for nothing, which is why demelo is there. They are getting an early 2nd back in my proposal. I think that moving down 10 spots, losing demelo (who some people value way more than I do in closing jets management), and a guy who likely won’t be playing much anyway (niku of harkins) to protect you backup and your 3 rw is great.

As for berdin, why wouldn’t Seattle take him? He’s the perfect guy to market, he has starter upside, he’s nhl ready, he’s young. He could become their franchise goaltender (just potential, I personally think berdin will be a good 1B). If I’m Seattle and the jets leave Appleton, harkins, niku, Stanley/demelo, berdin exposed, my list goes appleton, berdin, Stanley/demelo and then on. berdin comes right after Appleton because I think Seattle probably thinks there’s a chance Appleton can be a top 6 guy. There aren’t a lot of options like berdin to choose around the nhl. He will be very attractive to Seattle if he isn’t at the top of the list already.
Apr. 19, 2021 at 7:07 a.m.
Edited Apr. 19, 2021 at 7:13 a.m.
For a Seattle side deal, I wonder if the Kraken would accept a 1st or 2nd round pick as payment for selecting Niku in the expansion draft. I can see the Jets going being ok with that, as the organization has moved on from Niku with prospects moving ahead of him on the depth chart. For the Kraken, picking Niku would have more value than being directed to pick either a pending UFA or a underperforming player with term.
arafay liked this.
Apr. 19, 2021 at 8:38 a.m.
Appleton totally is a powerforward. He’s still developing but he’s a young powerforward, no doubt about that. He drives hard to the net, plays the body, plays hard along the boards, etc, which are all qualities of a powerforward.

I think the lesson the jets learnt (contrary to other teams) is that they should be making another move with Seattle to protect the guys they need to. Tbh, I’m not much of a demelo fan so I’m guilty there and I think that if the jets can move him and get a different guy in FA they should.

Keep in mind, the jets aren’t moving the first for nothing, which is why demelo is there. They are getting an early 2nd back in my proposal. I think that moving down 10 spots, losing demelo (who some people value way more than I do in closing jets management), and a guy who likely won’t be playing much anyway (niku of harkins) to protect you backup and your 3 rw is great.

As for berdin, why wouldn’t Seattle take him? He’s the perfect guy to market, he has starter upside, he’s nhl ready, he’s young. He could become their franchise goaltender (just potential, I personally think berdin will be a good 1B). If I’m Seattle and the jets leave Appleton, harkins, niku, Stanley/demelo, berdin exposed, my list goes appleton, berdin, Stanley/demelo and then on. berdin comes right after Appleton because I think Seattle probably thinks there’s a chance Appleton can be a top 6 guy. There aren’t a lot of options like berdin to choose around the nhl. He will be very attractive to Seattle if he isn’t at the top of the list already.

My friend, I appreciate your opinions, we must agree to disagree. Imo Appleton is not a power forward, Adam Lowry is a power forward, PLD is a power forward, Ryan Reaves is a power forward... Jets are very thin on the right side of the blue line. It’s Pionk and Poolman. That’s it! The next guys up are Nogier and Niku! That’s scary. There aren’t even any decent prospects in the organization. It would be much easier to find a 3RW to replace Appleton than it would to replace Demelo who is tbh the Jets best defender.
There are plenty of better goaltending options for Seattle, Khudobin, Raanta, Subban to name a few. They could even sign Brossoit as a UFA.
It’s too much.
Apr. 19, 2021 at 3:34 p.m.
My friend, I appreciate your opinions, we must agree to disagree. Imo Appleton is not a power forward, Adam Lowry is a power forward, PLD is a power forward, Ryan Reaves is a power forward... Jets are very thin on the right side of the blue line. It’s Pionk and Poolman. That’s it! The next guys up are Nogier and Niku! That’s scary. There aren’t even any decent prospects in the organization. It would be much easier to find a 3RW to replace Appleton than it would to replace Demelo who is tbh the Jets best defender.
There are plenty of better goaltending options for Seattle, Khudobin, Raanta, Subban to name a few. They could even sign Brossoit as a UFA.
It’s too much.

For sure, agree to disagree, though I don’t think anyone will be arguing that appleton is a powerforward in 1-2 years.

As I said, I’d be looking for a replacement for demelo. I don’t necessarily like him and I think he’s a little overrated. He’s a good number 5, but that’s it. I’d be looking at bringing in oen of savard or Manson first. Then add another guy. Also keep in mind that forbort is likely staying.

How I see it:
Jomo-Manson/savard
Forbort-Pionk
Heinola-Stanley

As you said, you respect my opinion...and I respect yours. But if I’m in charge, Id do demelo, the 1st (let’s say 25th oa for the sake of argument) and say harkins for keeping Appleton and having a backup and an early 2nd (before 40oa)
Subban is not a better option and raanta and khudobin are both over 30 (Raanta is also a UFA I think).
MisstheWhalers liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll