Forums/Armchair-GM

Wild and Coyote Fans How Does This Feel

Created by: OldNYIfan
Team: 2021-22 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 17, 2021
Published: Apr. 17, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Spitballing some ideas for trading Matt Dumba so that Minnesota can go 7-3-1 for Seattle. Trade made prior to the expansion draft so that Minnesota can protect Foligno, Greenway and Schmaltz in addition to the two NMCs and Eriksson Ek and Fiala. Qualifying exposures: Hartman, Rask and Sturm, Soucy, and one of the goaltenders. Exempt: Allison, Boldy, Kaprizov and Rossi.

Arizona has a protection slot open for a defenseman, but it's highly questionable whether they'd be willing to part with Schmaltz. But the two extra draft picks may persuade them if Dvorak and Hayton are deemed future top-2 centers.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,500,000
2$4,500,000
3$2,850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,750,000
2$2,750,000
3$2,250,000
Trades
ARI
  1. Dumba, Matt
  2. 2021 1st round pick (MIN)
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (MIN)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$67,180,834$0$882,500$14,319,166
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
UFA - 5
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$5,850,000$5,850,000
RW, C
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167
C
RFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,650,000$3,650,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 17, 2021 at 2:47 p.m.
Me
That's way too much for Nick Schmaltz
Apr. 17, 2021 at 2:59 p.m.
Banned
What a horrible proposal. My gosh probably trolling

Nick doesn't get dumba

Both proposals are the most unrealistic proposal ever on here

Know what you are talking about. Nick doesn't get dumba

Nick & 2nd don't get dumba much less to think wikd add 1st round pick, top prospect matt boldy, Dumba is the worst trolling on here

@mod needs to delete this

Get real @OldNYIFan
Apr. 17, 2021 at 3:28 p.m.
I'd be fine with a 1 for 1 but if Arizona wants anything more I'd pass personally. I like Schmaltz but ultimately he's a 2C on a contender and this is a high price to pay for a 2C in my opinion.

In general, I agree with you, Arizona is a great trading partner for Dumba.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 3:31 p.m.
I mean, Dumba isn’t worth Schmaltz so this has to be close? MIN has 2 1st round picks so they’re willing to use them, they’re just lotto tickets anyways.
TanSor and OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 3:35 p.m.
Dumba+2nd/3rd I could see from MN, not a 1st though. It would probably take something like your proposal to get AZ to trade Schmaltz.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 3:37 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: wabit
Dumba+2nd/3rd I could see from MN, not a 1st though. It would probably take something like your proposal to get AZ to trade Schmaltz.

Schmaltz isn't a c. Christian d is better c than him

Sean Monahan is better than him
Apr. 17, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
Quoting: TanSor
I'd be fine with a 1 for 1 but if Arizona wants anything more I'd pass personally. I like Schmaltz but ultimately he's a 2C on a contender and this is a high price to pay for a 2C in my opinion.

I don’t mind Schmaltz on the face of it but I think people get a bit dazzled by his speed that is probably best utilized on the wing. Couple that with the fact that we actually extend our salary commitment on him and I really need more convincing.

I’d probably do Hayton and a 1st from ARI, but that’s probably a non starter since their farm system is so bad they need the pick and I don’t know any other assets they’d be willing to part with.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 3:51 p.m.
Quoting: ModanoisCool
Schmaltz isn't a c. Christian d is better c than him

Sean Monahan is better than him

I'd rather have Dvorak, but I don't see anyway to pry him out of AZ.

Remember this is MN, where if you're a wing you play center and if you're a center you play wing; so he'd fit right in. sarcasm
OldNYIfan and Lightman13 liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 4:13 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Thanks as usual for the usual rational input. My thinking here is that:

(1) like the dog chasing the cat, the dog would LIKE to catch the cat but the feline NEEDS to get away. Similarly, Minnesota has the twin incentives of needing to improve at the center position and (arguably) needing to move Dumba in order to guarantee retaining Greenway, who looks to me like he is having the long-hoped-for breakout year, and one of Foligno or Hartman, while Arizona would have to be persuaded to part with their current #1 center.

(2) Arizona moves into the Central Division with Minnesota next season, so an intra-division trade is always difficult. Once again, because Minnesota benefits more from having a player who solidifies their center position for FIVE more years whereas Arizona benefits from filling one of their three holes at RD and empty protection slot (i.e., lesser benefits), I think that the Wild ought to pay the premium. Now you can quite sensibly argue that I should include the Columbus second even without Boldy, but I think that Dumba and the first is what would be required as a framework for a trade with the Coyotes.

(3) Schmaltz has 86 points in 131 games with Arizona (almost 0.66 ppg), and 27 points this year. I think that with Kaprizov and Fiala as his wingmen, he'd do better. In contrast, your four centers have 20 (Eriksson Ek), 16 (Rask) and 14 points (Bonino), while Johansson has 11 points in 24 games, which works out to 21 points over the 3/4 of the season we've played so far. So aside from the purported difference in value between centers and defensemen, Schmaltz is better than what you've got now and, again, is signed for five more years, whereas MoJo and Bonino expire this year and Rask the year after. As Rossi and Khusnutdinov develop, he can still be a useful center right through his entire contract. So I don't think that this exchange is that far off the mark.

If Guerin is able to persuade Armstrong to do Dumba for Schmaltz straight up, I think that would be a huge win for Minnesota. But you know that I'm rooting for you.
TanSor liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 4:17 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: wabit

Yeah, I was torn between what I thought was theoretical value (your deal) and what I think Arizona would take (my deal, maybe with something more coming back to the Wild). Thanks as usual for your typically thoughtful reaction.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 5:35 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Sorry @OldNYIfan I can't get behind this. I dislike Schmaltz as a player, to streaky for me, so I absolutely hate this trade. If I do take my bias out of the equation as much as I can I still don't like it I think you have the Wild way over paying. I'll agree with @TanSor it's probably better as a one for one but I think I would rather Wild just lose Dumba in expansion and keep the Cap space, but that's probably because I dislike Schmaltz that much.
Lightman13, OldNYIfan, KINGS67 and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 5:39 p.m.
Patient gm
I think that’s horrible value for schmaltz. I’d do dumba and a 4th for schmaltz but definitely no firsts or boldy. He’s not that great a c all in all. Your value wild for for someone far better.
OldNYIfan and KINGS67 liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 5:40 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: OutCold13
Sorry OldNYIfan I can't get behind this. I dislike Schmaltz as a player, to streaky for me, so I absolutely hate this trade. If I do take my bias out of the equation as much as I can I still don't like it I think you have the Wild way over paying. I'll agree with TanSor it's probably better as a one for one but I think I would rather Wild just lose Dumba in expansion and keep the Cap space, but that's probably because I dislike Schmaltz that much.

Thanks for the input. You know how much value I place on it.
OutCold13 and TanSor liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 5:43 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: OutCold13
Sorry OldNYIfan I can't get behind this. I dislike Schmaltz as a player, to streaky for me, so I absolutely hate this trade. If I do take my bias out of the equation as much as I can I still don't like it I think you have the Wild way over paying. I'll agree with TanSor it's probably better as a one for one but I think I would rather Wild just lose Dumba in expansion and keep the Cap space, but that's probably because I dislike Schmaltz that much.

Quoting: Lightman13
I think that’s horrible value for schmaltz. I’d do dumba and a 4th for schmaltz but definitely no firsts or boldy. He’s not that great a c all in all. Your value wild for for someone far better.

I can't argue with you guys, but I do think that you're overlooking the value of that 5-year contract term a little bit. Think about how Schmaltz would fill out the centerline while Eriksson Ek and Rossi develop.

I think @wabit's idea of Dumba and a second is the best value. Letting Dumba walk for free strikes me as really bad asset management.
OutCold13 and KINGS67 liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 6:08 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I can't argue with you guys, but I do think that you're overlooking the value of that 5-year contract term a little bit. Think about how Schmaltz would fill out the centerline while Eriksson Ek and Rossi develop.

I think wabit's idea of Dumba and a second is the best value. Letting Dumba walk for free strikes me as really bad asset management.

I went back and read some of your logic on the trade and I guess I understand it more now. So I can now agree with @wabit s valuation. I still don't like Schmaltz.
As far as Eks development I think he is blossoming but everytime he gets going Evason messes with his line. Ek and Kaprizov play different games but they work together. I like Foligno and I like where Greenway is going with his game but neither is a scorer and so he once again turns Ek into a checking center. Sorry I'm frustrated by it and I could rant for a number of pages.
I've also come to terms with the fact that Wild will not be getting full value for Dumba if and when they do trade him. I wonder if he won't go the Brian Burke route where he will just lose the player rather than lose the trade. Burke believes that if you allow teams to find leverage in trades and use it to win trades with you, that they will never meet your asking price in future trades, so he would rather lose the assets for nothing before giving other GMs a win.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 6:09 p.m.
In Zito We Trust
Quoting: ModanoisCool
What a horrible proposal. My gosh probably trolling

Nick doesn't get dumba

Both proposals are the most unrealistic proposal ever on here

Know what you are talking about. Nick doesn't get dumba

Nick & 2nd don't get dumba much less to think wikd add 1st round pick, top prospect matt boldy, Dumba is the worst trolling on here

mod needs to delete this

Get real OldNYIFan

it's a silly proposal on a silly website
why are you so mad
zreich4 liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 6:21 p.m.
I think it’s quite the overpay on Schmaltz. I do see how it benefits MIN more than Arizona so there is that. But Schmaltz and Dumba 1 for 1 was discussed in the Athletics “Who says no” article for the Wild and it was a clear no from both executives they asked.

How ever I wouldn’t mind doing it 1 for 1. He’s a right handed center and the Wild could use both of those things. Adding the 4th wouldn’t bother me much either. But anything more than that I would hate the trade.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 6:45 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: zreich4
I think it’s quite the overpay on Schmaltz. I do see how it benefits MIN more than Arizona so there is that. But Schmaltz and Dumba 1 for 1 was discussed in the Athletics “Who says no” article for the Wild and it was a clear no from both executives they asked.

How ever I wouldn’t mind doing it 1 for 1. He’s a right handed center and the Wild could use both of those things. Adding the 4th wouldn’t bother me much either. But anything more than that I would hate the trade.

Thanks for the input. You'll note that I borrowed your idea for a Philly trade in my contemporaneous post but mistakenly accused you of being a Flyers fan in a comment. Hope that you weren't too offended.
zreich4 liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 7:21 p.m.
Patient gm
Quoting: VijayPatel11
it's a silly proposal on a silly website
why are you so mad

He always is and comments on every post that includes the wild. I think this is his 3rd or 4th account on capfriendly in the last year.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 8:40 p.m.
Thanks for the input. You'll note that I borrowed your idea for a Philly trade in my contemporaneous post but mistakenly accused you of being a Flyers fan in a comment. Hope that you weren't too offended.

Haha no it’s all good
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 11:48 a.m.
Thanks as usual for the usual rational input. My thinking here is that:

(1) like the dog chasing the cat, the dog would LIKE to catch the cat but the feline NEEDS to get away. Similarly, Minnesota has the twin incentives of needing to improve at the center position and (arguably) needing to move Dumba in order to guarantee retaining Greenway, who looks to me like he is having the long-hoped-for breakout year, and one of Foligno or Hartman, while Arizona would have to be persuaded to part with their current #1 center.

(2) Arizona moves into the Central Division with Minnesota next season, so an intra-division trade is always difficult. Once again, because Minnesota benefits more from having a player who solidifies their center position for FIVE more years whereas Arizona benefits from filling one of their three holes at RD and empty protection slot (i.e., lesser benefits), I think that the Wild ought to pay the premium. Now you can quite sensibly argue that I should include the Columbus second even without Boldy, but I think that Dumba and the first is what would be required as a framework for a trade with the Coyotes.

(3) Schmaltz has 86 points in 131 games with Arizona (almost 0.66 ppg), and 27 points this year. I think that with Kaprizov and Fiala as his wingmen, he'd do better. In contrast, your four centers have 20 (Eriksson Ek), 16 (Rask) and 14 points (Bonino), while Johansson has 11 points in 24 games, which works out to 21 points over the 3/4 of the season we've played so far. So aside from the purported difference in value between centers and defensemen, Schmaltz is better than what you've got now and, again, is signed for five more years, whereas MoJo and Bonino expire this year and Rask the year after. As Rossi and Khusnutdinov develop, he can still be a useful center right through his entire contract. So I don't think that this exchange is that far off the mark.

If Guerin is able to persuade Armstrong to do Dumba for Schmaltz straight up, I think that would be a huge win for Minnesota. But you know that I'm rooting for you.

I definitely agree with you, Schmaltz could be huge with Fiala and/or Kaprizov. He plays a fast game and I think he'd mesh very well with those two. As others have implied, Arizona doesn't really have a rush to move him, so we'd likely have to overpay to get him. It would sting but I'd rather just expose Dumba in expansion and if Seattle takes him, we free up a ton of cap; if they opt for one of our goalies, our incredible blue line is still in tact. I guess I'm looking at it this way: Dumba for $6M cap space to possibly sign or trade for a better C than Schmaltz or overpaying with Dumba, a 1st and a 3rd for Schmaltz.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 11:56 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I definitely agree with you, Schmaltz could be huge with Fiala and/or Kaprizov. He plays a fast game and I think he'd mesh very well with those two. As others have implied, Arizona doesn't really have a rush to move him, so we'd likely have to overpay to get him. It would sting but I'd rather just expose Dumba in expansion and if Seattle takes him, we free up a ton of cap; if they opt for one of our goalies, our incredible blue line is still in tact. I guess I'm looking at it this way: Dumba for $6M cap space to possibly sign or trade for a better C than Schmaltz or overpaying with Dumba, a 1st and a 3rd for Schmaltz.

Thanks for the analysis. I guess we come down to two diametrically opposed strategies: (1) expose Dumba to Seattle, or (2) trade Dumba to avoid losing him to Seattle. (I think that you and I agree that the third strategy -- 8 and 1 -- is now off the table due to the Foligno signing and Greenway's bloom.) I have no idea which is best for Minnesota and it will be fascinating to see which strategy Guerin adopts!
TanSor and Wildwinswhen liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 12:14 p.m.
Dumba for Schmaltz 1 x 1 isn't the value I'd hope for in a trade with AZ but if that's the best value BG could get so be it. MN would get a serviceable top 6 C while alleviating the expansion draft issues.

Thanks for the analysis. I guess we come down to two diametrically opposed strategies: (1) expose Dumba to Seattle, or (2) trade Dumba to avoid losing him to Seattle. (I think that you and I agree that the third strategy -- 8 and 1 -- is now off the table due to the Foligno signing and Greenway's bloom.) I have no idea which is best for Minnesota and it will be fascinating to see which strategy Guerin adopts!

Maybe I missed it but, what was the rational for the 8-1 being off the table? If there is no Dumba trade to be had I'd rather have Seattle take Greenway than Dumba. Both are playing well this year. The getting cap space relief for Dumba is only a 1 year fix as Greenway would need a new contract with, I assume, a big raise.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
I mean, Dumba isn’t worth Schmaltz so this has to be close? MIN has 2 1st round picks so they’re willing to use them, they’re just lotto tickets anyways.

GMBG has indicated that he wants to keep both first round picks.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 2:00 p.m.

I agree that 8-1 is off the table. I'd prefer to trade Dumba if possible even if the return isn't ideal. But I can't see GMBG adding picks to our side of that trade unless it's our 4th for their 5th or something like that.

That being said, I like Schmalz. I like Arizona as a trading partner. If there was a lower asking price for him, I'd be very interested. But I wouldn't give up a first, Rossi, or Boldy.
OldNYIfan and Lightman13 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll