What I would pay for Patrik Laine Take 2

Created by: sensonfire
Team: 2021-22 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 17, 2021
Published: Apr. 17, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is a follow up from my last post.

The difference is that Columbus gets Ottawa's 2021 1st while Ottawa gets Columbus' 2021 1st.

The trade can be done after the draft lottery, once we know where the picks end up.

Or it can be done be done before the draft or before Laine receives his qualifying offer.

Whatever Columbus prefers :D
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$7,500,000
8$8,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Hughes, Luke
3$925,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Laine, Patrik [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 1st round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Current odds as of the evening of April 17th:

6.5% that it is 1st overall.
6.8% that it is 2nd overall.
44.4% that it is 7th overall.
37.0% that it is 8th overall.
5.3% that it is 9th overall.
CBJ
  1. Brown, Logan [RFA Rights]
  2. Tierney, Chris ($1,750,000 retained)
  3. White, Colin
  4. 2021 1st round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
Current odds as of the evening of April 17th:

13.5% that it is 1st overall.
13.0% that it is 2nd overall.
29.0% that it is 3rd overall.
44.5% that it is 4th overall.

Guaranteed Top 5 Pick!!!

:D
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$81,500,000$54,910,083$0$4,932,500$26,589,917
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LW
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$7,500,000$7,500,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,600,000$3,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$749,250$749,250
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$747,500$747,500 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
C
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 7
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Hughes, Luke
$925,000$925,000
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 17, 2021 at 9:42 p.m.
KFTW
Not enough
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 9:43 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: csick
Not enough

How much more would you give Columbus?
Apr. 17, 2021 at 9:45 p.m.
gavinray
No way they accept a trade where it could be Laine + 1st for 4th + scrubs

If Clarke and Guenther were picked and it was just centermen and LDs I would trade the 4th overall probably directly
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 9:57 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: gavinray
No way they accept a trade where it could be Laine + 1st for 4th + scrubs

If Clarke and Guenther were picked and it was just centermen and LDs I would trade the 4th overall probably directly

I did say the trade could wait until after the draft lottery when we would know where the picks end up.

Obviously, if Columbus' pick won the lottery, the trade would be called off.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 10:08 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
I did say the trade could wait until after the draft lottery when we would know where the picks end up.

Obviously, if Columbus' pick won the lottery, the trade would be called off.

I don’t see OTT getting a pick back in this deal, probably switching White with Norris also.

Maybe
Laine + 2nd
For
Norris + Brown + Tierney + 1st
dopplsan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 10:26 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: NYR1983
I don’t see OTT getting a pick back in this deal, probably switching White with Norris also.

Maybe
Laine + 2nd
For

Ya, that's a no go from me :/

Until Laine shows signs of emerging from rock bottom, he ain't worth it frown
NYR1983 liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 10:28 p.m.
Au-revoir Dorion

Maybe
Laine + 2nd
For

the values probably right but i cant see them parting with norris and the 2021 1st, would leave our future options at C really thin
sensonfire and NYR1983 liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 10:28 p.m.
Au-revoir Dorion
id just draft guenther
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 10:32 p.m.
Nah.

Maybe
Laine + 2nd
For

The problem is Laine has otherwise shown himself to be a top-tier goal-scorer in this league. But if the central point is that “he’s not that good because he had one bad year with Torts,” people think they can run rough-shod and buy him for pennies on the dollar. Re-frame how this trade would have looked two months ago if it were being made with WPG.

Point being, yeah, CBJ ain’t gonna send a first back. Nor a second. And they’d likely even ask for more with all this.

This ain’t calling you out specifically. Just generally frustrating with what I’ve seen from a lot of ACGM - people want to pine on Laine and slot him on their top-line, yet think they can score him for cheap after one bad season under a coach they also concede has under/mis-utilized him.
Jacketsman61, sensonfire and Viqsi liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 10:42 p.m.
Quoting: dopplsan
The problem is Laine has otherwise shown himself to be a top-tier goal-scorer in this league. But if the central point is that “he’s not that good because he had one bad year with Torts,” people think they can run rough-shod and buy him for pennies on the dollar. Re-frame how this trade would have looked two months ago if it were being made with WPG.

Point being, yeah, CBJ ain’t gonna send a first back. Nor a second. And they’d likely even ask for more with all this.

This ain’t calling you out specifically. Just generally frustrating with what I’ve seen from a lot of ACGM - people want to pine on Laine and slot him on their top-line, yet think they can score him for cheap after one bad season under a coach they also concede has under/mis-utilized him.

Ya, I agree. Most people make trades that in their mind work if you compare players with dollar bills. I give you 4 $5 bills and you give me a $20 bill.. we both have the same value right?! But with players you need to consider that those “$20 bills” are far more valuable than the stack of $5’s.
sensonfire, Viqsi and dopplsan liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 10:52 p.m.
Melnyk_0ut

Maybe
Laine + 2nd
For

Norris alone is probably close to if not equally as valuable as Laine at this point. Not that Laine isn't valuable, but Norris is for real
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 11:02 p.m.
Quoting: Melnyk_0ut
Norris alone is probably close to if not equally as valuable as Laine at this point. Not that Laine isn't valuable, but Norris is for real

Norris is = to one of the best goal scorers in the league?! Laine on average has the longest goals among forwards who score goals. A kid that can score 40+ goals a season.. I guess Connor Brown is worth McKinnon now too
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 11:34 p.m.
Melnyk_0ut
Norris is = to one of the best goal scorers in the league?! Laine on average has the longest goals among forwards who score goals. A kid that can score 40+ goals a season.. I guess Connor Brown is worth McKinnon now too

Well if you're going to extremes like that, I would argue that Victor Hedman is better than Laine and he's not one of the best goal scorers in the league. They're completely different players. But now that you mention it, Josh Norris isn't too bad of a goal scorer himself. He has as many goals (and more points) than Laine this season as a rookie.

But that's not my point. Obviously Laine is the better goal scorer. My point is to put a bit of respect on Norris' name. He is already the first line centre of the Sens as a rookie and putting up respectable numbers. And it's not the numbers that is most impressive, he's going up against Matthews or Scheifele or McDavid, etc. every night and showing off how good of a 200 foot game he has (he's even 54% in draws). There is so much potential here which is why he is so valuable.

On Laine's side of the value, yes he's a gifted goal scorer which is hard to come by, but you can't ignore why he didn't work out in Winnipeg or Columbus. He doesn't offer a lot besides his offence which is why coaches don't trust him and he doesn't get big ice time. He's still extremely valuable, but you can't just ignore that. To throw someone with as much potential as Norris in along with a top 5 pick and 2 other assets for a guy who already hasn't worked out for the two teams he's been on... it's time to rethink that idea of yours.

The Sens got Norris, Tierney and the 3rd overall pick in the Karlsson trade. Just ask San Jose how that worked out for them.
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 17, 2021 at 11:56 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: dopplsan

What Jarmo needs to ask himself is who does he value more?

Laine or Torts?

If he hasn't figured it out by now, he shouldn't be GM of the jackets anymore.

If you bring both Laine and Torts back next season, it would look really odd.

I have a hunch that Jarmo has figured it out well in advance and has a good sense on what is in the best interests of the Jackets.

That means Torts probably gets replaced as head coach once the season is over while Laine gets a qualifying offer of 7.5 million.

If Torts can't get along with Laine after proving he can't get along with PLD, then maybe Torts is the problem in Columbus.

If Laine's goal scoring takes off next season when Torts is gone, it would all but confirm that suspicion.

In that case, I will be more inclined to make a fair trade for Laine as an ACGM on capfriendly than what is seen here.

In Jarmo we trust!
dopplsan liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 6:45 a.m.
Nah.
Quoting: sensonfire
What Jarmo needs to ask himself is who does he value more?

Laine or Torts?

If he hasn't figured it out by now, he shouldn't be GM of the jackets anymore.

If you bring both Laine and Torts back next season, it would look really odd.

I have a hunch that Jarmo has figured it out well in advance and has a good sense on what is in the best interests of the Jackets.

That means Torts probably gets replaced as head coach once the season is over while Laine gets a qualifying offer of 7.5 million.

If Torts can't get along with Laine after proving he can't get along with PLD, then maybe Torts is the problem in Columbus.

If Laine's goal scoring takes off next season when Torts is gone, it would all but confirm that suspicion.

In that case, I will be more inclined to make a fair trade for Laine as an ACGM on capfriendly than what is seen here.

In Jarmo we trust!

Agreed. The most likely outcome here is Torts’ contract isn’t renewed, and Laine signs a one-year deal.

Said it before - only way Laine is traded between now and next trade deadline is if somebody overpays along the line of what the would have gotten for PLD+.
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 8:19 a.m.
Well if you're going to extremes like that, I would argue that Victor Hedman is better than Laine and he's not one of the best goal scorers in the league. They're completely different players. But now that you mention it, Josh Norris isn't too bad of a goal scorer himself. He has as many goals (and more points) than Laine this season as a rookie.

But that's not my point. Obviously Laine is the better goal scorer. My point is to put a bit of respect on Norris' name. He is already the first line centre of the Sens as a rookie and putting up respectable numbers. And it's not the numbers that is most impressive, he's going up against Matthews or Scheifele or McDavid, etc. every night and showing off how good of a 200 foot game he has (he's even 54% in draws). There is so much potential here which is why he is so valuable.

On Laine's side of the value, yes he's a gifted goal scorer which is hard to come by, but you can't ignore why he didn't work out in Winnipeg or Columbus. He doesn't offer a lot besides his offence which is why coaches don't trust him and he doesn't get big ice time. He's still extremely valuable, but you can't just ignore that. To throw someone with as much potential as Norris in along with a top 5 pick and 2 other assets for a guy who already hasn't worked out for the two teams he's been on... it's time to rethink that idea of yours.

The Sens got Norris, Tierney and the 3rd overall pick in the Karlsson trade. Just ask San Jose how that worked out for them.

So it sounds like you believe that Norris is basically a 7M+ player and you should keep him and pay him instead. I don’t see many people agreeing with that
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 12:46 p.m.
Melnyk_0ut
So it sounds like you believe that Norris is basically a 7M+ player and you should keep him and pay him instead. I don’t see many people agreeing with that

Nope I didn't say that but it does sound like you believe a 21 year old top-6 centre carries no value just because he hasn't scored 40 goals yet. I don't see many people agreeing with that.
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 12:50 p.m.
Nope I didn't say that but it does sound like you believe a 21 year old top-6 centre carries no value just because he hasn't scored 40 goals yet. I don't see many people agreeing with that.

He has value goof... you’re gravely mistaken... I wouldn’t do the trade if I was a sens fan, but that is certainly the type of package to get Laine. This is comparable to Eichel, you have to overpay with a package of prospects who inevitably are worth more to get the best player in the deal. It’s really not rocket science. It’s the very reason I don’t want to acquire JE.. too costly. It’s also the reason you and other fans shouldn’t want to acquire Laine... too costly. I hope this is layman enough
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 1:14 p.m.
Melnyk_0ut
He has value goof... you’re gravely mistaken... I wouldn’t do the trade if I was a sens fan, but that is certainly the type of package to get Laine. This is comparable to Eichel, you have to overpay with a package of prospects who inevitably are worth more to get the best player in the deal. It’s really not rocket science. It’s the very reason I don’t want to acquire JE.. too costly. It’s also the reason you and other fans shouldn’t want to acquire Laine... too costly. I hope this is layman enough

I think you're exaggerating the price a little bit though. Leaving L.Brown and Chris Tierney out of it, you're adding Josh Norris AND a top 5 (likely top 2) pick in the draft for him. That's just banana lands. I don't know if you're underestimating the value of those things or overestimating that value of Laine but that just ain't it. There are a lot of star players who've been traded for a lot less than that
sensonfire liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 6:02 p.m.
I think you're exaggerating the price a little bit though. Leaving L.Brown and Chris Tierney out of it, you're adding Josh Norris AND a top 5 (likely top 2) pick in the draft for him. That's just banana lands. I don't know if you're underestimating the value of those things or overestimating that value of Laine but that just ain't it. There are a lot of star players who've been traded for a lot less than that

You’re free to have your own opinion, everyone has the right to be wrong.
sensonfire liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll