Forums/Armchair-GM

I want to see this top line

Created by: arafay
Team: 2020-21 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 18, 2021
Published: Apr. 18, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I feel like it’s essentially the only combo we haven’t seen and I want to see what they can do together. The Connor-schiefele-wheeler line is a proven commodity (even if it has been bad at 5 on 5 this year so I want to see what these two trios can do. Dubios and ehlers can drive play on the first and ensure the top line is going most nights and then Connor-stastny-wheeler can feast on second lines with Connor getting setup by wheeler and stastny being the heady and steady guy up the middle. I think that on paper and based on what we have seen so far, that these could be the winning combos going into the playoffs as they have a good combination of play driving (stastny and ehlers), scoring (Connor and scheifele), and big hard workers (wheeler and dubios). Just something I want to see.

As for the rest, pretty simple. The bottom 6 has been good and have been getting better all year, hopefully they can keep it up. Really impressed that harkins seemingly didn’t miss a beat coming back in. He’s been solid. Maurice probably takes him out though so I reflected that here. The rest is also pretty standard. Really wish chevy was able to get JoMo a partner this tdl. Either Wayne , the jets have been solid defensively over the past games or so.

While I think the pairings we went with against EDM last night are what we go with, I decided to give forbort a rest and I think Maurice will be doing the same. He looks tired and needs a break. I don’t blame him, he’s playing way out of his league with the matchups he and pionk have been getting. Give him a break over the next few days and have Stanley play in that spot. I also want to see what he can do there. For this move, I prefer to have heinola play but I understand that benn needs go get some games in since he is the 7th d and not heinola. Therefore, you could easily swap heinola for benn.

Finally, i think the jets should give stastny a break soon. Hes not showing that he’s tired but still, he’s getting up there in age and it would be good to have him well rested. I also want to see perfetti in a game of so. That’s probably a move for the last couple of games where dubios just moves down to c for a game with perfetti either on his wing or with scheifele. Because of that, I didn’t reflect that move here.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$79,393,691$0$425,000$2,106,309
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 6
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 8
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 1
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
RFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$741,667$741,667 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 18, 2021 at 2:12 p.m.
That would be a good top line to see. On the roster, I doubt PoMo runs both Heinola/Stanley in the same roster because he loves his veterans and his little and large pairings. Also the Jets would need to drop one of those two waivers exempt guys to the taxi squad to get down to 23.
arafay liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 3:24 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Don't mind the line shuffle idea, Stastny is more effective at center and Dubois is doing almost nothing so moving him anywhere in the lineup to get him going is well worth experimenting with imo.

I disagree with and don't get the desire from this poster and others to take Forbort out, yes his first step is slow but once he gets going he moves at a decent speed and he's been very solid for the most part, the Forbort/Pionk pair are the least of the Jets problems on the backend, the play of the four dmen who occupy the spots on the top and bottom D pairs(#2,3,44,64) are where the issues are. They've looked okay at times, some have had good games and some have had some really bad games, mostly though all four have had stretches of uneven play which is a major issue reason(though not the only reason) for this teams disorganized play at times, the systems run and D zone structure is horrendous, it could only work with the best D core in the league and even then I question if it would.

Disappointed in Chevy for not doing more at or before the deadline to strengthen the defense, Benn can probably help the 3rd pair though, hell try him on his offhand with Morrissey at this point, its worth a try anyway.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 6:09 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
That would be a good top line to see. On the roster, I doubt PoMo runs both Heinola/Stanley in the same roster because he loves his veterans and his little and large pairings. Also the Jets would need to drop one of those two waivers exempt guys to the taxi squad to get down to 23.

That’s not really a problem and the jets don’t need to keep a 23 man roster anymore. I’m pretty sure you can keep more past the tdl since there is no rosters limits anymore
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
Apr. 18, 2021 at 6:16 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Don't mind the line shuffle idea, Stastny is more effective at center and Dubois is doing almost nothing so moving him anywhere in the lineup to get him going is well worth experimenting with imo.

I disagree with and don't get the desire from this poster and others to take Forbort out, yes his first step is slow but once he gets going he moves at a decent speed and he's been very solid for the most part, the Forbort/Pionk pair are the least of the Jets problems on the backend, the play of the four dmen who occupy the spots on the top and bottom D pairs(#2,3,44,64) are where the issues are. They've looked okay at times, some have had good games and some have had some really bad games, mostly though all four have had stretches of uneven play which is a major issue reason(though not the only reason) for this teams disorganized play at times, the systems run and D zone structure is horrendous, it could only work with the best D core in the league and even then I question if it would.

Disappointed in Chevy for not doing more at or before the deadline to strengthen the defense, Benn can probably help the 3rd pair though, hell try him on his offhand with Morrissey at this point, its worth a try anyway.

Yes my point exactly. And though I don’t disagree with you on forbort I think he could benefit with some rest. I think everyone agrees that he’s lost a bit of a step over the season. He’s still very good, but the rest would be good for him. Just a game or so. Also let’s us see what Stanley can do in a top 4 role.

While I agree that the top pair has been wildly inconsistent, (mainly cause poolman has been inconsistent) I don’t think the same applies to the 64-2 duo. They have been consistently good and Stanley has been driving play. Last night was probably the first bad game we’ve seen from Stanley (and it wasn’t even that bad). I think that pair has been good. As for the d-some structure, I like what Maurice has done. He knows the defence is bad, but the jets have been playing a defence by committee style and it’s been working (generally) for over 2 weeks now. I think that while the d-core isn’t great on paper, Maurice’s structure has made it passable. For example, the jets did pretty well last night containing mcdavid. Other than the power plays (which we generally well done on the pk but there’s just the mcdavid and draisaitl factor) and that one brutal mistake by Connor (and the other ones of Connor and demelo being unable to clear the zone earlier), the jets played a very sound game defensively. I know it’s one game, but the jets did the same against the leafs and have been getting better each game. I know the defence is still bad, but I don’t think anyone is or shoudl bd calling for Maurice getting fired. He’s done wonderful. Hellebuyck hasn’t had to steal a game in like 2 weeks, that’s something.

I’m not making excuses for Chevy when I say this, but by the sounds of it, he tried really really hard too. Now we don’t know what happened, but either a deal fell through last minute or no teams got past asking for heinola and perfetti. Now I don’t know about you but I’m not moving either of those guys for Manson or even ekholm. That said, he sounded really mad, now we don’t know if that’s cause he knew this team was only a piece or two away from elite status and he was unable to deliver or he was mad at a certain team for pulling back a player at the last minute when a deal seemed done.
Apr. 19, 2021 at 9:00 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: arafay
Yes my point exactly. And though I don’t disagree with you on forbort I think he could benefit with some rest. I think everyone agrees that he’s lost a bit of a step over the season. He’s still very good, but the rest would be good for him. Just a game or so. Also let’s us see what Stanley can do in a top 4 role.

While I agree that the top pair has been wildly inconsistent, (mainly cause poolman has been inconsistent) I don’t think the same applies to the 64-2 duo. They have been consistently good and Stanley has been driving play. Last night was probably the first bad game we’ve seen from Stanley (and it wasn’t even that bad). I think that pair has been good. As for the d-some structure, I like what Maurice has done. He knows the defence is bad, but the jets have been playing a defence by committee style and it’s been working (generally) for over 2 weeks now. I think that while the d-core isn’t great on paper, Maurice’s structure has made it passable. For example, the jets did pretty well last night containing mcdavid. Other than the power plays (which we generally well done on the pk but there’s just the mcdavid and draisaitl factor) and that one brutal mistake by Connor (and the other ones of Connor and demelo being unable to clear the zone earlier), the jets played a very sound game defensively. I know it’s one game, but the jets did the same against the leafs and have been getting better each game. I know the defence is still bad, but I don’t think anyone is or shoudl bd calling for Maurice getting fired. He’s done wonderful. Hellebuyck hasn’t had to steal a game in like 2 weeks, that’s something.

I’m not making excuses for Chevy when I say this, but by the sounds of it, he tried really really hard too. Now we don’t know what happened, but either a deal fell through last minute or no teams got past asking for heinola and perfetti. Now I don’t know about you but I’m not moving either of those guys for Manson or even ekholm. That said, he sounded really mad, now we don’t know if that’s cause he knew this team was only a piece or two away from elite status and he was unable to deliver or he was mad at a certain team for pulling back a player at the last minute when a deal seemed done.

I'd like to see Stanley get a look in the top 4 but the guy who should come out is DeMelo!
I was saying it awhile ago, they should try Stanley on the top pair with Morrissey and see what happens, honestly couldn't be much worse then it is now.

If you can find it watch the Pulujarvi goal again against the Jets the other night, the D zone structure is a disaster and that goal is a clear example of it.

Idk, there's a story somewhere he was after Gavrikov and rumors are he was trying to get Manson, if there's truth to either I question wtf he was thinking, no doubt either one could help this weak D core but a LHD with term isn't at all what they need and wasting time/effort on a guy with a NMC who's played his entire career in California, has another year of term and just had a kid was really stupid imo and makes me question Chevy once again, time wasted on a guy you don't really need and another who's got trade protection was dumb!

He should've made the Savard trade, I'm usually against trading 1sts for rentals but this year would've been the year to make that trade.

I see a lot of comments like 'don't sell the future' or
'if you can't get a major difference maker dman then don't bother' or 'that guy isn't much better then what we got so why bother' and I really don't agree with that line of thinking when I look at the dmen that changed teams at or just before the trade deadline and the current state of the D.
Yes I agree don't sell the future like Heinola, Samberg, etc but a 1st round pick in this draft or mid to late round picks is in no way selling the future, the Jets are pretty set at most positions except RHD both presently and with prospects so trading a bit of draft capital for one or two dmen would've been worth it imo. As for the narrative of getting a "difference maker/#1 dman", well seriously what team is trading a dman like that?!! I'm not trying to be a D!c% but do some fans really think that we're going to acquire a dman like that cause I just don't see it happening, no one is trading that type of dman.
When it comes to the 'not much better' comments well I think if you can improve on any one of the guys you have for a reasonable price then you make that trade and almost every one of the dmen that got traded would of helped the Jets defense in some way.

Another thing is that this teams window to win is now so with the state of its defense and it unlikely that a #1 dman is being acquired it'll take some internal help and the acquisition of middle pair type dmen to solidify the backend, this TDL was as good a time as any to acquire a dman or two like that.

Oh well, guess we'll see how it goes next season with Ville and Samberg added to #4, 44 and 64, hopefully they're enough to push this D core from poor to at least average, really think an opportunity was missed by not doing more then just adding a #6/7 dman.
arafay liked this.
Apr. 19, 2021 at 11:37 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
I'd like to see Stanley get a look in the top 4 but the guy who should come out is DeMelo!
I was saying it awhile ago, they should try Stanley on the top pair with Morrissey and see what happens, honestly couldn't be much worse then it is now.

If you can find it watch the Pulujarvi goal again against the Jets the other night, the D zone structure is a disaster and that goal is a clear example of it.

Idk, there's a story somewhere he was after Gavrikov and rumors are he was trying to get Manson, if there's truth to either I question wtf he was thinking, no doubt either one could help this weak D core but a LHD with term isn't at all what they need and wasting time/effort on a guy with a NMC who's played his entire career in California, has another year of term and just had a kid was really stupid imo and makes me question Chevy once again, time wasted on a guy you don't really need and another who's got trade protection was dumb!

He should've made the Savard trade, I'm usually against trading 1sts for rentals but this year would've been the year to make that trade.

I see a lot of comments like 'don't sell the future' or
'if you can't get a major difference maker dman then don't bother' or 'that guy isn't much better then what we got so why bother' and I really don't agree with that line of thinking when I look at the dmen that changed teams at or just before the trade deadline and the current state of the D.
Yes I agree don't sell the future like Heinola, Samberg, etc but a 1st round pick in this draft or mid to late round picks is in no way selling the future, the Jets are pretty set at most positions except RHD both presently and with prospects so trading a bit of draft capital for one or two dmen would've been worth it imo. As for the narrative of getting a "difference maker/#1 dman", well seriously what team is trading a dman like that?!! I'm not trying to be a D!c% but do some fans really think that we're going to acquire a dman like that cause I just don't see it happening, no one is trading that type of dman.
When it comes to the 'not much better' comments well I think if you can improve on any one of the guys you have for a reasonable price then you make that trade and almost every one of the dmen that got traded would of helped the Jets defense in some way.

Another thing is that this teams window to win is now so with the state of its defense and it unlikely that a #1 dman is being acquired it'll take some internal help and the acquisition of middle pair type dmen to solidify the backend, this TDL was as good a time as any to acquire a dman or two like that.

Oh well, guess we'll see how it goes next season with Ville and Samberg added to #4, 44 and 64, hopefully they're enough to push this D core from poor to at least average, really think an opportunity was missed by not doing more then just adding a #6/7 dman.

I’d be hesitant to put Stanley in a top pairing role because he’s still only in his first season. Next year sure, but let him develop his confidence right now. I’m not much of a demelo fan either but poolman needs to come out before demelo. Demelo is at least solid in his own end.

I’ve watched the JP goal over and over and yes, there is some d-zone structure breakdowns here and there but the jets recover quite well imo. I mean, Connor and demelo both had chances to clear the puck but didn’t so there is that. And then that brutal play by Connor. Truth be told, that’s the reason the puck ended up in the back of the net. The rest wasn’t so bad that it would lead to a goal against. If you look closely ehlers tried to cover for Connor but he was too late. Just a brutal play from Connor tbh.

I understand gavrikov and I think it’s a good move. He would be the perfect partner for pionk (an upgrade over forbort who has been solid in his own right). As for Manson, as I said, I personally think it got past the point of asking him to waive and he did but the ducks changed something on the jets last minute. Someone changed something on the jets to piss chevy off, I just think it’s the ducks.

I completely agree, the jets should bd willing to move anyone not named heinola or perfetti and I think chevy was. When I said that maybe the price was too high, I mean maybe teams didn’t get past asking for them. They just didn’t want anything else which I highly doubt. I agree that the jets should be paying for any and all help, it’s their window right now. The savard trade should have been done by the jets but maybe chevy had something up his sleeve that fell through which is why he didn’t.

I think that next year, the jets should try to add a top 3 d-man with term. All the other pieces on this team should fill out in 1-2 years no problem. A number 3 would be ideal because it’s enough in terms of what we need but also the price won’t be sky high. I’m thinking a severson or if we can nab pulock somehow he’s perfect. He might also be getting to FA, you never know..

A big top 3 rd, I think chevy tried to make it happen but it didn’t work. Goes to show that the way chevy shops at the tdl is way to risky for a contending (or almost contending) team. I think he learnt his lesson
MisstheWhalers liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll