Forums/Armchair-GM

Deans cheatsheet

Created by: OutCold13
Team: 2020-21 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 19, 2021
Published: Apr. 19, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Just my opinion on what Dean should be doing with the lines.

Line 1 brings it all they play defense they play physical and they have skill.
Line 2 is speed, it plays a extremely fast game, with lots of skill.
Line 3 is more of the same as line 1 but to a lesser degree.
Line 4 is a plodding moderately skilled line that will work hard.
The defensive pairs have been set like this for most of the year and if it's not broke don't fix it.
Talbot is the 1A goalie and Kahkonen is 1B both need playing time and likely Talbot should start the playoffs.
As far as the power play didn't want to tweak it much since has started to work other than taking Rask out of the lineup I pretty much left it.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$77,939,424$0$925,000$3,560,576

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,100,000$4,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 3
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, C
UFA - 1
C
UFA - 1
LD/RD
UFA - 1
C
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 19, 2021 at 9:54 a.m.
I think you’re unintentionally messing with the 2 best lines we’ve had all year for the sole purpose of getting Rask out of the lineup. I don’t think anything is wrong with your line 1 but I don’t think it’s going to put up as numbers as big as the current Zucc/KK line. Line 3 completely removes the dominant possession line with JEE/Greener/Foligno by putting Zuccarello there, he’s not a checker. The other thing is Sturm is a checking line guy, but I think he has 3C potential. He’s not an offense generator and having a fast line is probably more important for a checking line. Hartman can skate with those guys, has enough of a creation mindset and plays the two way role the Fiala line needs.

And now my hot take. Rask isn’t great, but he’s not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He has better offensive creation instincts than most others on the team, even if he thinks the game the way he skates it. Those instincts coupled with KK ability actually make him usable in a top 6 role on this team.

I also love that your lineup works, even if it’s not the best in my eyes. It speaks to the depth we have and the luxury of being able to “play Rask out.” Which I think will happen next year.
LeafsFanZay liked this.
Apr. 19, 2021 at 10:20 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: jnowariak
I think you’re unintentionally messing with the 2 best lines we’ve had all year for the sole purpose of getting Rask out of the lineup. I don’t think anything is wrong with your line 1 but I don’t think it’s going to put up as numbers as big as the current Zucc/KK line. Line 3 completely removes the dominant possession line with JEE/Greener/Foligno by putting Zuccarello there, he’s not a checker. The other thing is Sturm is a checking line guy, but I think he has 3C potential. He’s not an offense generator and having a fast line is probably more important for a checking line. Hartman can skate with those guys, has enough of a creation mindset and plays the two way role the Fiala line needs.

And now my hot take. Rask isn’t great, but he’s not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He has better offensive creation instincts than most others on the team, even if he thinks the game the way he skates it. Those instincts coupled with KK ability actually make him usable in a top 6 role on this team.

I also love that your lineup works, even if it’s not the best in my eyes. It speaks to the depth we have and the luxury of being able to “play Rask out.” Which I think will happen next year.

Line one is a line Dean went to early in the year and both Kaprizov and Ek took off not to mention Greenway was his most engaged self during that time. Then Dean did some tinkering and the lettuce line was great but has since gone stagnant mostly because it's always looking to make the extra pass.
Rask has been ok this year but he has been guilty of far too many turnovers for what his production warrants.
Sturm is a bottom 6 guy but so are the majority of the Wild centers. Hartman to me seems like the ideal 3C right now brings some offense and lots of grit. Zuccarello isn't a checking line guy but since Dean doesn't line match a ton Wild don't necessarily need a defacto checking line. I think these lines work best for most teams Wild play. I should say in the case of when the Wild play Colorado I think dean needs to adjust. Line match Foligno/Ek/Greenway vs the Mackinnon line and then put the lettuce line back together line 3 in that case would probably be mojo/Hartman/Fiala and the 4th line back to Parise/Sturm/Bonino.
jnowariak liked this.
Apr. 19, 2021 at 10:41 a.m.
Quoting: OutCold13
Line one is a line Dean went to early in the year and both Kaprizov and Ek took off not to mention Greenway was his most engaged self during that time. Then Dean did some tinkering and the lettuce line was great but has since gone stagnant mostly because it's always looking to make the extra pass.
Rask has been ok this year but he has been guilty of far too many turnovers for what his production warrants.
Sturm is a bottom 6 guy but so are the majority of the Wild centers. Hartman to me seems like the ideal 3C right now brings some offense and lots of grit. Zuccarello isn't a checking line guy but since Dean doesn't line match a ton Wild don't necessarily need a defacto checking line. I think these lines work best for most teams Wild play. I should say in the case of when the Wild play Colorado I think dean needs to adjust. Line match Foligno/Ek/Greenway vs the Mackinnon line and then put the lettuce line back together line 3 in that case would probably be mojo/Hartman/Fiala and the 4th line back to Parise/Sturm/Bonino.

I’m in the same boat that KK lifts JEE and Greener. He also lifts Zucc, so we’re damned if we do, damned if we don’t. I’m also in total agreement with you about Hartman, he’s got good 3C vibes but I think he’s a stealth pick to play wing opposite Fiala once we get a more offensive C given his defensive inclinations.

Anyway, didn’t mean to hate on your idea so much as discuss the lineup. I def come across the wrong way sometimes.
OutCold13 liked this.
Apr. 19, 2021 at 11:07 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
I’m in the same boat that KK lifts JEE and Greener. He also lifts Zucc, so we’re damned if we do, damned if we don’t. I’m also in total agreement with you about Hartman, he’s got good 3C vibes but I think he’s a stealth pick to play wing opposite Fiala once we get a more offensive C given his defensive inclinations.

Anyway, didn’t mean to hate on your idea so much as discuss the lineup. I def come across the wrong way sometimes.

I didn't take it as hate. So if I came off as defensive then I'm sorry. I just post crap like this for the value of discussion. Sometimes it's just a good idea to talk to people and see what their take is on it.
Also I agree Kaprizov is the spark plug for Zuccarello and I wouldn't mind if Greenway went to the 3rd line in this scenario and the top line would be Zuccarello/EK/Kaprizov just to see how it worked. That 3rd line would be a pretty good checking line in that case.
jnowariak liked this.
Apr. 19, 2021 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: OutCold13
I didn't take it as hate. So if I came off as defensive then I'm sorry. I just post crap like this for the value of discussion. Sometimes it's just a good idea to talk to people and see what their take is on it.
Also I agree Kaprizov is the spark plug for Zuccarello and I wouldn't mind if Greenway went to the 3rd line in this scenario and the top line would be Zuccarello/EK/Kaprizov just to see how it worked. That 3rd line would be a pretty good checking line in that case.

Cool, glad we’re on the same page there.

I’m on of those guys that think JEE is a 3C. Would he score more with KK and Zucc? Yes, but that due to KK and Zucc rather than JEE. I think you maximize his value by exploiting his possession abilities to shut down the other team. I also don’t see Greenway as a driver one way or the other, so putting those two on a line with KK just feels like rewarding them with counting stats that they didn’t drive rather than maximizing value for the team.

Go over to natural stat trick and take a look at their line tool in regards to Greenway and you’ll see where I’m coming from.
OutCold13 liked this.
Apr. 19, 2021 at 11:56 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
Cool, glad we’re on the same page there.

I’m on of those guys that think JEE is a 3C. Would he score more with KK and Zucc? Yes, but that due to KK and Zucc rather than JEE. I think you maximize his value by exploiting his possession abilities to shut down the other team. I also don’t see Greenway as a driver one way or the other, so putting those two on a line with KK just feels like rewarding them with counting stats that they didn’t drive rather than maximizing value for the team.

Go over to natural stat trick and take a look at their line tool in regards to Greenway and you’ll see where I’m coming from.

I'll check that out. I also don't see Greenway as a play driver I kind of look at him as a anchor attached to Ek. I do like pumping up Greenways value up so that either Wild can trade him or Kraken take him, cause they just aren't taking Rask.
Ek drives play, he doesn't score goal scorer's goals but he goes to where he needs to be to score. I see him as a 2C on a good team. I would like to see him become more of a playmaker and playing with more talented wingers would afford him the opportunity to see if those are skills he can develop. At some point Wild just have to let Ek loose and see if he can do more.
jnowariak liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll