Initial Creation Date: Apr. 19, 2021
Published: Apr. 19, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
1st line: Primary offensive unit
2nd line: Matchup line that can play against anyone and drive play
3rd line: Secondary offensive unit
4th line: Primary defensive line.

Virtanen and Armia can switch spots depending on who has the hot hand or matching up against specific opponents or whatever.

Devils will have cap space and take a gritty bottom-6 player for a pick and a prospect.

Seattle takes Holtby in Expansion. There's nothing of note that they could take from us, so they use the opportunity to get a goalie where otherwise they'd get an AHLer.

Schwartz signs a one year deal to put up big numbers before signing a bigger deal. Same as what Hoffman just did. He get's an opportunity on the top line in Vancouver with prime minutes.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
1$1,150,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$7,250,000
3$6,750,000
2$975,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,750,000
3$2,500,000
1$4,000,000
1$1,500,000
2$1,750,000
2$1,650,000
Trades
VAN
    Seattle Expansion
    VAN
    1. 2022 5th round pick (CBJ)
    NJD
    1. Karlsson, Linus [Reserve List]
    2. Roussel, Antoine
    3. 2022 4th round pick (VAN)
    Recapture Fees
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$80,700,659$648,780$200,000$799,341

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 3
    $5,875,000$5,875,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,125,000$4,125,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 3
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $2,550,000$2,550,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,225,000$1,225,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    LD
    UFA - 6
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 5
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,950,000$5,950,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $975,000$975,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $825,000$825,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LD
    RFA
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 19, 2021 at 2:17 p.m.
    I like that you put some thought into your decisions and gave supporting reasoning but I find it interesting that you didn't make a single move to address the Canucks' greatest weakness on the blue line. Also, i don't think Shwartz and Hoffman are comparables, especially in their UFA positions. Hoffman is a controversial player off the ice but also on the ice as he is great at one thing, with that being scoring goals, but bad at everything else. So it's much riskier to sign a player like Hoffman than Schwartz. With that being said, I think priority Number 1 for the Canucks is to find a defence partner for Hughes.
    Wqrrior liked this.
    Apr. 19, 2021 at 2:35 p.m.
    Quoting: ErikJohannsen
    I like that you put some thought into your decisions and gave supporting reasoning but I find it interesting that you didn't make a single move to address the Canucks' greatest weakness on the blue line. Also, i don't think Shwartz and Hoffman are comparables, especially in their UFA positions. Hoffman is a controversial player off the ice but also on the ice as he is great at one thing, with that being scoring goals, but bad at everything else. So it's much riskier to sign a player like Hoffman than Schwartz. With that being said, I think priority Number 1 for the Canucks is to find a defence partner for Hughes.

Yup addressing the defense is the biggest need for this team right now. I don't think there are many great options to do so right now though. I focused on creating a deep and dangerous forward core while essentially bringing back the same defense. Next offseason there will be cap space to use and we can go after someone like Jones (who has WHL connections and might have played for Green) or Pulock. For this year I think the Canucks could do decently well with this upgraded forward core, and then next year really solidify the defense to become a true contender on paper.

I see what your saying about Schwartz. This is based on Schwartz not getting satisfying offers anywhere else and choosing to bet on himself. With Hoffman those offers didn't seem like they were there at all. Say Schwartz was getting offers similar to Toffoli's deal but he wanted over 5M or something like that. I don't know how likely that is but it would be a great fit for the Canucks. Other options for a potential one year deal would Palmieri, Granlund, Tatar or Stastny depending on how their contract negotiations go in FA.
    Apr. 19, 2021 at 2:50 p.m.
    Quoting: ErikJohannsen

I feel like that partner might come in as whoever we draft this year. I don't have any desire to splurge on either assets or FA $ this offseason on a defenseman. Its a weak defensive FA class (at least IMO on the right side), so I would sooner stick with Hamonic. There's room to grow on the defense core, and Edler continues to age, but the 2nd half of the year the defense core has looked pretty decent. I actually think our most pressing need is to actually HAVE a 3rd line. I would go so far as to say Vancouver has dressed the worst third line in the league all year. This is part of why I'm on board with Pearson's resign and his future role.
    I just don't see the centers being dispersed this way long term. Its a neat idea and might be used in the odd game here or there, but Miller isn't the 3C we urgently need. Its kinda like trying to repair a wall by shoving steel wool in it - great temporary fix, but not ideal long term.

My Offseason Priorities:
    - Obviously the 2 RFAs (I can get behind these values, Petey might cost a bit less than we expect after this year)
    - Buy out Loui.
    - Bring back Hamonic on the cheap.
    - Sign Podkolzin
    - Search high and low for a new 3C
    - if there is leftover money, I'm not opposed to giving Sutter a contract around what you gave him

Edit: In response to the OP's response:

- Gosh I'd love pulock. I think he's literally the best option for Quinn in the entire league -- also the only guy leaguewide I would straight up trade Brock for. But I highly doubt it ever happens. Honestly I only seeing someone like him coming into our system through the draft. There's some decent defenders in the top 10 this year. Hoping we get one.
    Apr. 19, 2021 at 3:13 p.m.
    Quoting: Wqrrior
    I feel like that partner might come in as whoever we draft this year. I don't have any desire to splurge on either assets or FA $ this offseason on a defenseman. Its a weak defensive FA class (at least IMO on the right side), so I would sooner stick with Hamonic. There's room to grow on the defense core, and Edler continues to age, but the 2nd half of the year the defense core has looked pretty decent. I actually think our most pressing need is to actually HAVE a 3rd line. I would go so far as to say Vancouver has dressed the worst third line in the league all year. This is part of why I'm on board with Pearson's resign and his future role.
    I just don't see the centers being dispersed this way long term. Its a neat idea and might be used in the odd game here or there, but Miller isn't the 3C we urgently need. Its kinda like trying to repair a wall by shoving steel wool in it - great temporary fix, but not ideal long term.

My Offseason Priorities:
    - Obviously the 2 RFAs (I can get behind these values, Petey might cost a bit less than we expect after this year)
    - Buy out Loui.
    - Bring back Hamonic on the cheap.
    - Sign Podkolzin
    - Search high and low for a new 3C
    - if there is leftover money, I'm not opposed to giving Sutter a contract around what you gave him

Edit: In response to the OP's response:

- Gosh I'd love pulock. I think he's literally the best option for Quinn in the entire league -- also the only guy leaguewide I would straight up trade Brock for. But I highly doubt it ever happens. Honestly I only seeing someone like him coming into our system through the draft. There's some decent defenders in the top 10 this year. Hoping we get one.

I agree with you on our 3rd line. A stronger 3rd line that wouldn't get caved in would make our team defense look a lot better without actually adding any new defensemen. I think running this proposed 3rd line would be a major upgrade and make a huge difference to our team.

I agree with your priority list but with some adjustments. I don't want to buy out anyone and leave dead cap in the future. I also think that there aren't many potential 3C candidates available now, especially with Lowry re-signing. He would have been my ideal addition for that spot probably. With Miller saying that he likes playing center, I don't think it would be the worst thing for a year.
    Wqrrior liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll