Forums/Armchair-GM

This team can be good theyve just been mismanaged

Created by: colazerrr
Team: 2021-22 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 20, 2021
Published: Apr. 21, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
-Colin Miller on LTIR as he is selected in expansion draft (didn't know how to show this)
-Reinhart signed for big $$$ as 2C (he deserves it, and it's easier to find wingers to play alongside him/Eichel as opposed to a 2C nowadays)
-Skinner returns to wing with Eichel in hopes of production like first year
-Dahlin signs long term
-KO starts year on IR, unless healthy from facial surgery. Frankly, he will be in Rochester until he can be bought out in 2022
-Eakin signing clearly a mistake (sorry GMKA), traded with a pick for cap relief
***Most importantly, Don Granato has interim tag removed and becomes the permanent HC***
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,100,000
1$925,000
8$7,250,000
3$2,750,000
3$1,500,000
7$8,650,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
4$4,400,000
1$750,000
Trades
BUF
  1. 2021 7th round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. Eakin, Cody
  2. 2021 6th round pick (COL)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$73,238,916$113,916$850,000$8,261,084

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$8,650,000$8,650,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,050,000$3,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,250,000$7,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
RFA - 3
$4,400,000$4,400,000
G
UFA - 4
$889,166$889,166
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$778,333$778,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
G
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 21, 2021 at 8:11 a.m.
Brace for the Storm
This d-core still isn't gonna cut it.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 8:16 a.m.
Still think you need a defensive 4 Line.

I would trade Risto for that winger to place in the top 6.

Use UFA to add a top RHD

Resign McCabe. have Bryson and Samuelsson battle for the last spot.
Shibbal18 liked this.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 8:18 a.m.
Shibbal18
Edited Apr. 21, 2021 at 8:32 a.m.
Reinhart is still not a good center, Cozens is though, Reinhart probably wont sign long term no matter what they offer, that 4th line will get eaten alive and will not produce like they are now.
Lenny7 liked this.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 8:19 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward

That d core is great
Apr. 21, 2021 at 8:45 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward

They've already made massive strides this year, so I'd like to see what an off-season and full year next year would do. You may end up being right, but I'm willing to see it out first. Not opposed to adding another D during the year/at deadline. I left cap room for that reason.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 8:48 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: RoyalBlueSabres
Still think you need a defensive 4 Line.

I would trade Risto for that winger to place in the top 6.

Use UFA to add a top RHD

Resign McCabe. have Bryson and Samuelsson battle for the last spot.

I could also see them have Samuelsson have another year in ROC and resign McCabe. I probably should have done that, and am not opposed to it. Ned to see how his recovery goes though. Tearing the Big 3 in your knee isn't always easy to come back from.

For Risto, with the way his contract is, I think he is of more value to keep. That being said, if we can snag a decent wing from a team who wants someone like Risto (looking at WPG here), I would not be opposed. Frankly, I like Gusev (think he just had an awful year this year) and I think he would do wonders on a line with Eichel.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 8:53 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: Shibbal18
Reinhart is still not a good center, Cozens is though, Reinhart probably wont sign long term no matter what they offer, that 4th line will get eaten alive and will not produce like they are now.

This is the first time in his career with BUF where he is getting an extended look at C. He was drafted as a C, it was his main position his entire youth, and then Buffalo decided to make him a winger only. He has proven that he can center a line and hold it down. BUF needs a 2C. Cozens will be ready, just not at this moment. Super talented, just don't want to rush him as 2C. 3C allows him to learn, develop, still log good playing time, and gives him time to put on muscle. Sam at 2C is a MUST for me, and I think he deserves it. The money is a fair price for him, so I think he takes it.

In terms of the 4th line, since Granato has taken over, they have been the most production filled line on this team. They have had time together in ROC, and it's showing at the NHL level. They will not only compete, but they will take advantage of other teams weaker 4th lines. And FWIW, any 4th line put together will be LOADS better than one with Eakin on it. End of discussion lol
Apr. 21, 2021 at 9:19 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: colazerrr
This is the first time in his career with BUF where he is getting an extended look at C. He was drafted as a C, it was his main position his entire youth, and then Buffalo decided to make him a winger only. He has proven that he can center a line and hold it down. BUF needs a 2C. Cozens will be ready, just not at this moment. Super talented, just don't want to rush him as 2C. 3C allows him to learn, develop, still log good playing time, and gives him time to put on muscle. Sam at 2C is a MUST for me, and I think he deserves it. The money is a fair price for him, so I think he takes it.

In terms of the 4th line, since Granato has taken over, they have been the most production filled line on this team. They have had time together in ROC, and it's showing at the NHL level. They will not only compete, but they will take advantage of other teams weaker 4th lines. And FWIW, any 4th line put together will be LOADS better than one with Eakin on it. End of discussion lol

Reinhart has a career 38% FO win rate and this year he's averaging 42%. He hasnt been a good center at all. Also putting top 6 forwards in the bottom 6 doesnt create more scoring lines, it cuts their minutes and thus negatively impacts their games. Not only are they going to cut their minutes in half, theyre going to not get as many offensive zone starts, they will disappear. They need a legit physical checking line, just like every other successful team in the league has built.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 9:22 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Going nowhere with 2nd line Zemgus.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 9:46 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Going nowhere with 2nd line Zemgus.

a 2nd line player that's defensively accountable as well as having offensive upside and can play both center and wing if need be cause of injuries? Yeah, you right, why would a team ever want that on the 2nd line...
Apr. 21, 2021 at 9:47 a.m.
I could also see them have Samuelsson have another year in ROC and resign McCabe. I probably should have done that, and am not opposed to it. Ned to see how his recovery goes though. Tearing the Big 3 in your knee isn't always easy to come back from.

For Risto, with the way his contract is, I think he is of more value to keep. That being said, if we can snag a decent wing from a team who wants someone like Risto (looking at WPG here), I would not be opposed. Frankly, I like Gusev (think he just had an awful year this year) and I think he would do wonders on a line with Eichel.

Yeah, I don't mind Gusev was really high on him before he went to NJD and just never got going there.
My worry with Gusev is that he turns into a middle 6 player and right now besides Eichel the whole team is mid 6 talent. Reinhart would be a top Line Wing but sounds like they are keeping him at center and he is definitely a 2c.

If skinner can round back into form I would say he is a top-line talent.

But Buf has Mitts, Cozens, Reinhart, Olofsson, Bjork, Ruotsalanien, Asplund, and Thompson to make the middle 2 lines. I do not know how they are going to do it, I don't really want to lose any of those guys but they need to upgrade somewhere. If it were me and they did not upgrade any body My forward lines would be

Skinner Eichel Cozens
Olofsson Reinhart Bjork
Ruostsalainen Mitts Thompson
Girgenson (Sign Defensive 4c) Asplund
Apr. 21, 2021 at 10:02 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Reinhart has a career 38% FO win rate and this year he's averaging 42%. He hasnt been a good center at all. Also putting top 6 forwards in the bottom 6 doesnt create more scoring lines, it cuts their minutes and thus negatively impacts their games. Not only are they going to cut their minutes in half, theyre going to not get as many offensive zone starts, they will disappear. They need a legit physical checking line, just like every other successful team in the league has built.

Both Eichel and Mcdavid started out in their careers at 40% off faceoff guys. Both now at almost 50%. I do believe faceoffs are something Reinhart can add to his game, it's never been absent, it just needs improvement. And in terms of Cozens and his development, I feel the need to be cautious. If you look at Buffalo over the last 10 years, we have proven time and time again that we sometimes rush young players into roster spots (whether small or large) and in large part it hasn't worked out. Grigorenko, Mittlestadt (until as of late), and even guys like Guhle and Fasching. Do I think Cozens is better than these players in therms of his development at this time vs theirs at their early careers? YES. Do I think Cozens needs time at ROC? NO. But do I want to make sure that Cozens isn't forced into a role that could be too big for him or ask too much of him. ABSOLUTELY. This next year at 3C is perfect for him in my mind.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 10:04 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
a 2nd line player that's defensively accountable as well as having offensive upside and can play both center and wing if need be cause of injuries? Yeah, you right, why would a team ever want that on the 2nd line...

Its a real stretch to call Girgensons a 2nd line player.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 10:10 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: RoyalBlueSabres
Yeah, I don't mind Gusev was really high on him before he went to NJD and just never got going there.
My worry with Gusev is that he turns into a middle 6 player and right now besides Eichel the whole team is mid 6 talent. Reinhart would be a top Line Wing but sounds like they are keeping him at center and he is definitely a 2c.

If skinner can round back into form I would say he is a top-line talent.

But Buf has Mitts, Cozens, Reinhart, Olofsson, Bjork, Ruotsalanien, Asplund, and Thompson to make the middle 2 lines. I do not know how they are going to do it, I don't really want to lose any of those guys but they need to upgrade somewhere. If it were me and they did not upgrade any body My forward lines would be

Skinner Eichel Cozens
Olofsson Reinhart Bjork
Ruostsalainen Mitts Thompson
Girgenson (Sign Defensive 4c) Asplund

The big issue I have with this is you don't draft Cozens to play wing. As much as I love him along side Eichel, the reason you take him at 8 is to eventually fill in the 2C hole. I love the idea of him playing with Eichel, but I need him to be playing a center role. If Eichel gets traded (like 2% chance IMO), Cozens ends up being your 1C. You start him at 3C for his first couple years (3 max if he doesn't regress), and then he takes over 2C. At that point, I think you can move Reinhart to wing. But I see no need to rush it. In terms of a 4C, i WOULD LOVE to see Matej Pekar take a jump and potentially fill that spot. Big body, loves to throw his body around, can be a penalty killer, and will throw down if need be. Just my opinion. I prefer looking internally as opposed to signing someone at this point. Our FA record has not been stellar as of late.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 10:16 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Its a real stretch to call Girgensons a 2nd line player.

Is he going to put in 25-30 goals and 70+ points? Probably a 0.1% chance. But when you have a player that is defensively sound, it allows everyone else to flourish. Girgensons on line 2 allows Olofsson to focus on being a pure offensive sniper. I'd love for him to turn into an excellent 2-way winger, but at this point, I need pucks in the back of the net. And Olofsson focusing on that benefits this team. So let Girgensons play his defensive, gritty play, cause turnovers, and be an overall annoyance to enemy teams.

FWIW I can see Girgensons (barring injury) having a stat line of something like 14-24-42 on the 2nd line. Is that amazing? No, not at all. But does he bring value to a 2nd line? I believe so.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 10:42 a.m.
ShtpstExtraordinaire

Imagine using faceoffs as a stat to determine if he's a good center
colazerrr liked this.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 11:15 a.m.
Jack fischer
really like the Samuelson-Borgen pairing. tough pairing to play against
colazerrr liked this.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 11:18 a.m.
Shibbal18
Both Eichel and Mcdavid started out in their careers at 40% off faceoff guys. Both now at almost 50%. I do believe faceoffs are something Reinhart can add to his game, it's never been absent, it just needs improvement. And in terms of Cozens and his development, I feel the need to be cautious. If you look at Buffalo over the last 10 years, we have proven time and time again that we sometimes rush young players into roster spots (whether small or large) and in large part it hasn't worked out. Grigorenko, Mittlestadt (until as of late), and even guys like Guhle and Fasching. Do I think Cozens is better than these players in therms of his development at this time vs theirs at their early careers? YES. Do I think Cozens needs time at ROC? NO. But do I want to make sure that Cozens isn't forced into a role that could be too big for him or ask too much of him. ABSOLUTELY. This next year at 3C is perfect for him in my mind.

Reinhart would need to improve his faceoffs over the offseason, in 4 months. Eichel and McDavid took years
Apr. 21, 2021 at 11:21 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: Facebookfighter
Imagine using faceoffs as a stat to determine if he's a good center

He isnt stellar in the defensive zone, he isnt great in coverage, so he cant play the center role there either, hes scoring at a rate lower than the last 2 seasons, theirs literally nothing net positive about his center game
Apr. 21, 2021 at 11:32 a.m.
ShtpstExtraordinaire
He isnt stellar in the defensive zone, he isnt great in coverage, so he cant play the center role there either, hes scoring at a rate lower than the last 2 seasons, theirs literally nothing net positive about his center game

He's their best defensive forward since Larsson left? He's been their best forward and is barely under his typical pace for scoring.
colazerrr liked this.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 11:38 a.m.
ShtpstExtraordinaire

Reinhart's a good enough two way player that you don't need Zegmus on his line. Now if you wanted to follow your train of thought, a guy like Asplund would fit a role alongside Jack and VO. Zegmus you want on your 4th line. IMO at least.

So:
Asplund-Jack-VO
Skinner-Reinhart- Gusev
Apr. 21, 2021 at 11:46 a.m.
Shibbal18
He's their best defensive forward since Larsson left? He's been their best forward and is barely under his typical pace for scoring.

Pretty low standard, whos his competition, Eakin? Hes the smartest kid on the short bus, doesnt make him an honors student
Apr. 21, 2021 at 12:29 p.m.
Sabres are elite
Poor contract decisions imo but absolutely we should be keeping Don Granato as Head Coach. He has been great and love his philosophy. The players are clearly enjoying playing under him and we are getting infinitely better results than we did with Ralph Kruger
colazerrr liked this.
Apr. 21, 2021 at 2:25 p.m.
The big issue I have with this is you don't draft Cozens to play wing. As much as I love him along side Eichel, the reason you take him at 8 is to eventually fill in the 2C hole. I love the idea of him playing with Eichel, but I need him to be playing a center role. If Eichel gets traded (like 2% chance IMO), Cozens ends up being your 1C. You start him at 3C for his first couple years (3 max if he doesn't regress), and then he takes over 2C. At that point, I think you can move Reinhart to wing. But I see no need to rush it. In terms of a 4C, i WOULD LOVE to see Matej Pekar take a jump and potentially fill that spot. Big body, loves to throw his body around, can be a penalty killer, and will throw down if need be. Just my opinion. I prefer looking internally as opposed to signing someone at this point. Our FA record has not been stellar as of late.

I hear you on that. To me it just sounds like they are keeping Reinhart at center so he is the de-facto 2C and I think Cozens gets more from playing top line minutes with Eichel than playing 3c. I think he has the ability to shift to C at any point in the season, so if they shift Reinhart back or Injuries he can slide back to C.
Only problem with pulling up Pekar IMO is that this team is incredibly young. I think besides Skinner everyone would be younger than 28 on the team. So finding a defensive 4C that can provide a bit of leadership wouldnt be the worst thing. Keep it low cap hit low term and its really low risk. If that person flops than have Pekar be your first call up.
colazerrr liked this.
Apr. 22, 2021 at 8:03 a.m.
TTV colazerrr
Reinhart's a good enough two way player that you don't need Zegmus on his line. Now if you wanted to follow your train of thought, a guy like Asplund would fit a role alongside Jack and VO. Zegmus you want on your 4th line. IMO at least.

So:
Asplund-Jack-VO
Skinner-Reinhart- Gusev

Yup, I could get on board with this

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll