Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
$821,667$821,667 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 22, 2021 at 11:00 a.m.
Roster Architect
Personally, I'd really like to see Keefe run the blender. See how players react in different spots in case they need to be put in a spot for playoffs. Assuming everyone is in the lineup that you have (I know Foligno is eligible to play, just haven't seen anything confirmed that he's in) I'd like something like this:

Foligno - Matthews - Nylander
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Marner
Brooks - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

Rielly - Holl
Muzzin - Dermott
Sandin - Brodie

In the short time this second line was together, they looked incredible. I know splitting up Matthews and Marner isn't a popular decision but come playoffs if they can separate them for a bit and create more headaches for other teams I think it's worth it. & Galchenyuk has kinda tailed off since playing with Matthews and Marner, I think he looked better beside Tavares so put him back there. As for the defence, it's really mixing things up in case of injury. Sandin looked real good to me last game, and if Rielly goes down in playoffs then Sandin likely gets that role so I'd love to see what more offence he has to his game when he has Brodie to rely on for covering for him. Dermott can get some more minutes in the top 4 in case Brodie gets hurt in playoffs and they get a better look at what he is so they can decide if he's brought back next year or not.

Many Leafs fans are panicking with the team losing 5 straight, but they're playing well and they're looking at the playoff picture now more. It's time to start looking at "what ifs" and juggle the lines more
Oilers4Days and LeafsFanZay liked this.
Apr. 22, 2021 at 11:14 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: TrueCanuck
Personally, I'd really like to see Keefe run the blender. See how players react in different spots in case they need to be put in a spot for playoffs. Assuming everyone is in the lineup that you have (I know Foligno is eligible to play, just haven't seen anything confirmed that he's in) I'd like something like this:

Rielly - Holl
Muzzin - Dermott
Sandin - Brodie

In the short time this second line was together, they looked incredible. I know splitting up Matthews and Marner isn't a popular decision but come playoffs if they can separate them for a bit and create more headaches for other teams I think it's worth it. & Galchenyuk has kinda tailed off since playing with Matthews and Marner, I think he looked better beside Tavares so put him back there. As for the defence, it's really mixing things up in case of injury. Sandin looked real good to me last game, and if Rielly goes down in playoffs then Sandin likely gets that role so I'd love to see what more offence he has to his game when he has Brodie to rely on for covering for him. Dermott can get some more minutes in the top 4 in case Brodie gets hurt in playoffs and they get a better look at what he is so they can decide if he's brought back next year or not.

Many Leafs fans are panicking with the team losing 5 straight, but they're playing well and they're looking at the playoff picture now more. It's time to start looking at "what ifs" and juggle the lines more

While I agree there isn't really reason to panic yet, I will say this proposed idea is ridiculous with only 10 games left. We need to get things firing on all cylinders
Apr. 22, 2021 at 11:27 a.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
While I agree there isn't really reason to panic yet, I will say this proposed idea is ridiculous with only 10 games left. We need to get things firing on all cylinders

Well that's exactly what they're doing.. Keefe is mixing and matching the lines to see who has what and who he can rely on in playoffs. That's why the top 2 defence pairings were switched up. As for my proposed forward lines, they're not really THAT ridiculous. Keefe has rolled the Galchenyuk-Tavares-Marner line before and it looked good, and Matthew with Nylander has a history of working. Foligno is a guy that they got to play up and down the lineup, so he slides in there until Hyman is back. The 4th line remains the same and they've played together a lot this year because they're all slow. The only real big change is Brooks over Engvall on the 3rd line, and with the inconsistency of Engvall why not see if Brooks can handle a bigger role better?

The team has played well. Don't be alarmed by the results lately. They carry play more than they don't and they haven't been helped by their goaltending lately. Come playoff time they need to focus more on defence to protect their weakest area which right now is goaltending. So these new mixed lines do just that in case there's injures and then guys can have some familiarity with other guys instead of just throwing them to the wolves to find chemistry in playoffs when they need it the most. I'm not exactly sure how that is "ridiculous" but it seems to be exactly what Keefe and Dubas are doing right now. They don't care about a division win, and fans shouldn't either. It means nothing. Learn how to win in playoffs like this team should do and get the job done.
Apr. 22, 2021 at 11:36 a.m.

Rielly - Holl
Muzzin - Dermott
Sandin - Brodie

I would've liked to see more of that throughout the season. I've been saying for a while that I don't like how when things aren't going great during a game, Keefe basically pulls 3 names out of a hat to send out forward lines, I'd personally just flip Matthews and Tavares (Nylander/Marner like you have here is almost the same thing). We know both of those centers have had chemistry with both of those wingers, so just make the little change for a shake up.
TrueCanuck liked this.
Apr. 22, 2021 at 11:36 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Better now than later....
TrueCanuck liked this.
Apr. 22, 2021 at 11:37 a.m.
Banned
Well that's exactly what they're doing.. Keefe is mixing and matching the lines to see who has what and who he can rely on in playoffs. That's why the top 2 defence pairings were switched up. As for my proposed forward lines, they're not really THAT ridiculous. Keefe has rolled the Galchenyuk-Tavares-Marner line before and it looked good, and Matthew with Nylander has a history of working. Foligno is a guy that they got to play up and down the lineup, so he slides in there until Hyman is back. The 4th line remains the same and they've played together a lot this year because they're all slow. The only real big change is Brooks over Engvall on the 3rd line, and with the inconsistency of Engvall why not see if Brooks can handle a bigger role better?

The team has played well. Don't be alarmed by the results lately. They carry play more than they don't and they haven't been helped by their goaltending lately. Come playoff time they need to focus more on defence to protect their weakest area which right now is goaltending. So these new mixed lines do just that in case there's injures and then guys can have some familiarity with other guys instead of just throwing them to the wolves to find chemistry in playoffs when they need it the most. I'm not exactly sure how that is "ridiculous" but it seems to be exactly what Keefe and Dubas are doing right now. They don't care about a division win, and fans shouldn't either. It means nothing. Learn how to win in playoffs like this team should do and get the job done.

I just think right now we need to find the right mix. We know Marner and Matthews will be a duo as is JT and Nylander. Spezza, Thornton and Simmonds have looked great as the 4th line. So we need to figure out the 3rd line. Hyman, Kerfoot and Mikheyev could be good leaving Gally and Folgino on the top 2. Although I am starting to think Gally needs to be put further down. He has some good offensive instincts but he is very troublesome defensively. It's cost us on more than one occasion. As per usual the defence got blamed but the high forward was Gally on 3 or 4 recent goals and he blew his positioning.
Apr. 22, 2021 at 11:42 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: GenXHockey
Better now than later....

Gotta get is sorted now, and changing literally every line with 10 games left could result in growing pains and leave us scuffling to the finish line and potentially not finishing first. Tighten up, get it together and get back to what works.
Apr. 22, 2021 at 11:52 a.m.
Roster Architect
I just think right now we need to find the right mix. We know Marner and Matthews will be a duo as is JT and Nylander. Spezza, Thornton and Simmonds have looked great as the 4th line. So we need to figure out the 3rd line. Hyman, Kerfoot and Mikheyev could be good leaving Gally and Folgino on the top 2. Although I am starting to think Gally needs to be put further down. He has some good offensive instincts but he is very troublesome defensively. It's cost us on more than one occasion. As per usual the defence got blamed but the high forward was Gally on 3 or 4 recent goals and he blew his positioning.

Your first sentence is exactly right: they need to find the right mix. And why wait longer? At least with 10 games left it gives the guys time to get some chemistry together. Matthews and Nylander has worked well in the past, particularly when they both came into the league and the line of Hyman-Matthews-Nylander was really good at both ends of the rink. Tavares and Marner also worked during the same time, and both players had career seasons. I'm not denying that Marner and Matthews work well together. But when other teams are focusing on them in playoffs and shutting them down, you gotta find a way to get them going. So mix it up, get them going on other lines as well so it gives teams many different looks to be worried about. Galchenyuk looked incredible with Tavares and Marner but when he plays with Matthews and Marner he gets caught watching the puck too much. I think Tavares' leadership on the ice holds Galchenyuk more accountable and he's not as noticeably bad defensively. He's not the type of player to play a bottom 6 checking role and they didn't get an offensive option at the deadline, so he's their top 6 guy. Reunite him on what looked like his best line and get hime going again too so that again it gives other teams different things to be worried about. That second line could be the better version of the 3rd line that acts as a shutdown line. Babcock did it with Hyman-Tavares-Marner before and they shut down the Boston perfection line decently well. Sometimes the best defence is a good offence and if they have the puck most of the time in the offensive end like they did before, that's a damn good way to defend and not have to rely upon shaky goaltending.

Things aren't working the best right now: the powerplay is horrific. Goaltending has been atrocious. So switching it up sends the message that no one is safe and you need to perform to get role you want or you don't get it. And come playoff time, the only thing that matters is wins. Either get them or sit down and shut up. They're not getting them with the lines the way they are now. Something has to change.
Apr. 22, 2021 at 11:59 a.m.
Deleted
I'm really happy seeing more people include Brooks in the lineup. I've really liked his game since I saw him play in this years Blue vs White game. Him and Chartier were two guys I were taken aback by. Definitely one of the leafs best prospects that isn't necessarily talked about too often. Him and Niemela are very interesting
Apr. 22, 2021 at 12:04 p.m.
Banned
Your first sentence is exactly right: they need to find the right mix. And why wait longer? At least with 10 games left it gives the guys time to get some chemistry together. Matthews and Nylander has worked well in the past, particularly when they both came into the league and the line of Hyman-Matthews-Nylander was really good at both ends of the rink. Tavares and Marner also worked during the same time, and both players had career seasons. I'm not denying that Marner and Matthews work well together. But when other teams are focusing on them in playoffs and shutting them down, you gotta find a way to get them going. So mix it up, get them going on other lines as well so it gives teams many different looks to be worried about. Galchenyuk looked incredible with Tavares and Marner but when he plays with Matthews and Marner he gets caught watching the puck too much. I think Tavares' leadership on the ice holds Galchenyuk more accountable and he's not as noticeably bad defensively. He's not the type of player to play a bottom 6 checking role and they didn't get an offensive option at the deadline, so he's their top 6 guy. Reunite him on what looked like his best line and get hime going again too so that again it gives other teams different things to be worried about. That second line could be the better version of the 3rd line that acts as a shutdown line. Babcock did it with Hyman-Tavares-Marner before and they shut down the Boston perfection line decently well. Sometimes the best defence is a good offence and if they have the puck most of the time in the offensive end like they did before, that's a damn good way to defend and not have to rely upon shaky goaltending.

Things aren't working the best right now: the powerplay is horrific. Goaltending has been atrocious. So switching it up sends the message that no one is safe and you need to perform to get role you want or you don't get it. And come playoff time, the only thing that matters is wins. Either get them or sit down and shut up. They're not getting them with the lines the way they are now. Something has to change.

Putting the entire lineup in a blender with 10 games left isn't finding the right mix. As I mentioned we know Matthews and Marner are a duo as is JT and Nylander. The 4th line is largely set and we know what the d pairings should be. Let's figure out the 3rd line. That is the mix. Not blowing up the entire roster and seeing if 4 completely different lines will work.
Apr. 22, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
Roster Architect
Putting the entire lineup in a blender with 10 games left isn't finding the right mix. As I mentioned we know Matthews and Marner are a duo as is JT and Nylander. The 4th line is largely set and we know what the d pairings should be. Let's figure out the 3rd line. That is the mix. Not blowing up the entire roster and seeing if 4 completely different lines will work.

Exactly.. you know those guys work together. So if things don't work out for 10 games of the season, you can go back to those lines. The idea of "finding something that works" means mixing things up to try them. But again, the lines aren't THAT mixed up as they're lines that have been used before. You can't expect to fix something if you don't try something new.
Apr. 22, 2021 at 12:16 p.m.
Banned
Exactly.. you know those guys work together. So if things don't work out for 10 games of the season, you can go back to those lines. The idea of "finding something that works" means mixing things up to try them. But again, the lines aren't THAT mixed up as they're lines that have been used before. You can't expect to fix something if you don't try something new.

Continuity breads success and familiarity, giving literally everyone a new line right now could break their feel and confidence. Get everyone firing on all cylinders. Get Marner and Matthews really rolling, get JT and Willy flying. And figure out the 3rd line. Put the defence back to what has worked the whole season. Your idea has far more potential to have the team looking for answers instead of flying high with confidence.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll