SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Chicago Blackhawks signed Riley Stillman (3 Years / $1,350,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 26, 2021 at 1:11 p.m.
We are all equal
Quoting: MelonVK
This thread has taught me nothing but that people prefer proven and bad (Zadorov) over less proven and pretty alright (Stillman). One of them is breaking even on an NHL level, and one of them is getting caved in. Zadorov isn't getting better at this point, Stillman might still do that - and if he does, you have a great asset at a low cost. If he doesn't - you still have a good bottom pairing D for basically no cost. If he becomes worse - that's still better than Zadorov, cause he basically makes nothing towards the cap if buried.

Man, is it hard for people to properly think about these things. The upside is there, there is close to literally no downside, why would anyone disagree with this move?

Man, the guys hasn't even played a full season in the NHL. Doesn't deserve a long term contract. Needs to prove himself first. Two years from now more than likely your going to go ugh I wished we never signed him to this contract and how you talk about Zadorov *rightfully so*, you will be saying the same thing.
Trickster liked this.
Apr. 26, 2021 at 5:35 p.m.
idk how any one can say this isn't an overpay. Stillman has proved nothing and has very little NHL experience. He deserved a 1-2 year deal at 750k.

Has he looked okay in his VERY short stint so far in Chicago? Sure. Does that mean you pay him 2x what he's worth? Absolutely not.
weirfanno1 liked this.
Apr. 26, 2021 at 5:52 p.m.
GoJetsGo
Quoting: Jco5ta5
It’s amazing what reading The Athletic does for your passive hockey fan IQ. 😂

Facts man. Great journalism. And they're always giving out deals too.
Apr. 26, 2021 at 6:45 p.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: weirfanno1
Man, the guys hasn't even played a full season in the NHL. Doesn't deserve a long term contract. Needs to prove himself first. Two years from now more than likely your going to go ugh I wished we never signed him to this contract and how you talk about Zadorov *rightfully so*, you will be saying the same thing.

Why do you wish that? its at worst a dead cap hit of 275k, and best case you have a diamond on the rough. its a low risk gamble with a potential reward. Also, 46 games or whatever is still somewhat of a sample size to at least ballpark that he'll probably be alright.
Apr. 26, 2021 at 9:34 p.m.
exo2769
Why do you wish that? its at worst a dead cap hit of 275k, and best case you have a diamond on the rough. its a low risk gamble with a potential reward. Also, 46 games or whatever is still somewhat of a sample size to at least ballpark that he'll probably be alright.

I dont think that's the worst. The worst is he clogs up ice time and prevents other players from actually developing. And quite frankly...thats whats happening. He didn't EARN any NHL ice time. Stan traded for him...in which he played for both the Panthers and the Syracuse Crunch...and simply gave him an NHL spot that Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, and Kalynuk have been fighting for all season. THAT combined with the dead cap is the worst.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 3:42 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: exo2769
I dont think that's the worst. The worst is he clogs up ice time and prevents other players from actually developing. And quite frankly...thats whats happening. He didn't EARN any NHL ice time. Stan traded for him...in which he played for both the Panthers and the Syracuse Crunch...and simply gave him an NHL spot that Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, and Kalynuk have been fighting for all season. THAT combined with the dead cap is the worst.

But neither did Zadorov, so just knock him and let Stillman grab that spot? On top of that, for whatever period they've played, everyone on that list but Boqvist has some atrocious NHL numbers.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 7:25 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Apr. 27, 2021 at 8:01 a.m.
But neither did Zadorov, so just knock him and let Stillman grab that spot? On top of that, for whatever period they've played, everyone on that list but Boqvist has some atrocious NHL numbers.

You do like Z. We get it, but to say he never went through camp and never battled out there fighting with/for this team and his teammates? I'm hopeful we can both agree he's earned his stripes. Heck he was awarded the top pair minutes for over a month and a half.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 8:01 a.m.
Watches no games
You do like Z. We get it, but to say he never went through camp and never battled out there fighting with/fpr this teamand his teammates? I'm hopeful we can both agree he's earned his stripes. Heck he was awarded the top pair minutes for over a month and a half.

The problem with your reasoning is that I could be out there fighting and battling for and against my teammates. It doesn't really mean anything. We expect some results, otherwise whoever tries hardest deserves to make the team. Zadorov has terrible results, and has had that throughout his career. Would you rather win games or arbitrarily lose on the basis that someone went through camp more than someone else?
Apr. 27, 2021 at 8:15 a.m.
exo2769
The problem with your reasoning is that I could be out there fighting and battling for and against my teammates. It doesn't really mean anything. We expect some results, otherwise whoever tries hardest deserves to make the team. Zadorov has terrible results, and has had that throughout his career. Would you rather win games or arbitrarily lose on the basis that someone went through camp more than someone else?

1st things 1st. Stillman has been bad. Point Blank, goes puck chasing behind the net leaving his goalie out to dry. He needs to get stronger against forwards in his own crease. Get better positioning and move them out. I will admit, I do like his PK ability. Do you even know if Florida has the same defensive schemes? You know where he could learn those??? In Rockford, where DKing plays the same system as the Hawks. When you combine poor results (Stillman) with a guy that doesn't look like he knows the Hawks defensive schemes...then YES! I would absoluely prefer ot have one of Beaudin/Mitchell/Boqvist/Kalynuk over Stillman. He's quite literally taking a spots over Beaudin/Mitchell/Boqvist/Kalynuk. These 4 guys ALL deserves a spot more than he does. They've EARNED ice time and EARNED a chance to be an NHLer more than Stillman. So, he's 5th on the list.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 8:33 a.m.
Watches no games
1st things 1st. Stillman has been bad. Point Blank, goes puck chasing behind the net leaving his goalie out to dry. He needs to get stronger against forwards in his own crease. Get better positioning and move them out. I will admit, I do like his PK ability. Do you even know if Florida has the same defensive schemes? You know where he could learn those??? In Rockford, where DKing plays the same system as the Hawks. When you combine poor results (Stillman) with a guy that doesn't look like he knows the Hawks defensive schemes...then YES! I would absoluely prefer ot have one of Beaudin/Mitchell/Boqvist/Kalynuk over Stillman. He's quite literally taking a spots over Beaudin/Mitchell/Boqvist/Kalynuk. These 4 guys ALL deserves a spot more than he does. They've EARNED ice time and EARNED a chance to be an NHLer more than Stillman. So, he's 5th on the list.

See how you keep pushing the cart before the horse with this "earned" concept that you've entirely made up yourself. Everyone else on this list leaves their goalie out to try more often than Stillman.

I'm gonna do the same thing as you do: Chicago's opponents take fewer shots in Chicago with Stillman on the ice, especially in relation to how many shots they take themselves. That means he's *earning* his spot more than the other defensemen mentioned, as they get outshot more while on the ice. Except for Boqvist, who has some positive offensive impact. So really, it's Stillman and Boqvist that have *earned* their spots in the lineup, and everyone else has to play better if they want to *earn* their spot in the lineup.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 8:59 a.m.
exo2769
See how you keep pushing the cart before the horse with this "earned" concept that you've entirely made up yourself. Everyone else on this list leaves their goalie out to try more often than Stillman.

I'm gonna do the same thing as you do: Chicago's opponents take fewer shots in Chicago with Stillman on the ice, especially in relation to how many shots they take themselves. That means he's *earning* his spot more than the other defensemen mentioned, as they get outshot more while on the ice. Except for Boqvist, who has some positive offensive impact. So really, it's Stillman and Boqvist that have *earned* their spots in the lineup, and everyone else has to play better if they want to *earn* their spot in the lineup.

NO! Earned means you've earned the respect of your teammates. You've proven through hard work that you belong. Earned means you've been on the ice and picked up mistakes that others have made and generated trust. Earned is NOT...Show up on the 1st day of the job the boss hands you a promotion over other hard working employees. That's not earned. That's gifted and that goes against everything Stan's been promoting the entire year. AND Stillman hasn't been good.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:10 a.m.
Watches no games
NO! Earned means you've earned the respect of your teammates. You've proven through hard work that you belong. Earned means you've been on the ice and picked up mistakes that others have made and generated trust. Earned is NOT...Show up on the 1st day of the job the boss hands you a promotion over other hard working employees. That's not earned. That's gifted and that goes against everything Stan's been promoting the entire year. AND Stillman hasn't been good.

Zadorov is making multiple times his salary and is literally the "other guy making mistakes". He's getting special treatment cause he was a higher draft pick, and because he is a large human being.

Stillman, again, makes his team shoot more than his opponents when he is on the ice. This is the foundation of winning. Nobody else but Boqvist from the list you rattled off does that. Earned means you're playing at an acceptable level for the NHL. Stillman does that. Beaudin/Mitchell/Kalynuk are getting caved in. They have to play better to earn their spot. Same goes for Zadorov who you can use for limited defensive work, but nothing else as he's an absolute offensive void like the rest mentioned.

Regardless, only Murphy and DeHaan should be staples on the team. With Boqvist and Stillman filling the next two spots. After that, Carlsson has done a better job, and more importantly not proven himself to be outright bad, compared to the rest of them.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:19 a.m.
exo2769
Let's break this down

Zadorov is making multiple times his salary and is literally the "other guy making mistakes". He's getting special treatment cause he was a higher draft pick, and because he is a large human being.

Stillman, again, makes his team shoot more than his opponents when he is on the ice. This is the foundation of winning. Nobody else but Boqvist from the list you rattled off does that. Earned means you're playing at an acceptable level for the NHL. Stillman does that. Beaudin/Mitchell/Kalynuk are getting caved in. They have to play better to earn their spot. Same goes for Zadorov who you can use for limited defensive work, but nothing else as he's an absolute offensive void like the rest mentioned.

Regardless, only Murphy and DeHaan should be staples on the team. With Boqvist and Stillman filling the next two spots. After that, Carlsson has done a better job, and more importantly not proven himself to be outright bad, compared to the rest of them.

1.) As you pointed out. Everyone makes mistakes. I'd put Zadorov on the bottom pair and allow another prospect (not Stillman) ice time to develop while affording rookies some kind of protection. That's proper player development.

2.) Stillman has EXACTLY a 50.0% Corsi on the Hawks and a negative relative Corsi. So facts are facts...he has NOT (to date) made his team shoot more than his opponents in fact him being on the ice is worse off for the Hawks thus far. If Corsi is your go to...then this is just a fact.

3.) Carlsson was traded away for Stillman. I'm sure this is a simply slip up, no worries. I've done it before too.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
Drumman44
Quoting: Jco5ta5
Not sure why if you’re sending Saad to COL you didn’t try for Cole or Graves. Or try for Toews.

If Stan had managed to trade Saad for Toews 2 full days before the Islanders traded Toews to Colorado, he would be the emperor of time.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 12:24 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: DrumMan44
If Stan had managed to trade Saad for Toews 2 full days before the Islanders traded Toews to Colorado, he would be the emperor of time.

I know Toews was traded after. But he could’ve attempted to trade to NYI is what I meant.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 12:39 p.m.
Watches no games
Let's break this down

1.) As you pointed out. Everyone makes mistakes. I'd put Zadorov on the bottom pair and allow another prospect (not Stillman) ice time to develop while affording rookies some kind of protection. That's proper player development.

2.) Stillman has EXACTLY a 50.0% Corsi on the Hawks and a negative relative Corsi. So facts are facts...he has NOT (to date) made his team shoot more than his opponents in fact him being on the ice is worse off for the Hawks thus far. If Corsi is your go to...then this is just a fact.

3.) Carlsson was traded away for Stillman. I'm sure this is a simply slip up, no worries. I've done it before too.

Yeah I haven't really kept up that well with Chicago this season, but you're obviously right on Carlsson.

My annoyance here is that you've decided on your side of the argument beforehand. If corsi was in favor of Stillman I'm sure you'd discard it. Relative corsi is closer, but it still doesn't account for QoT and QoC.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 12:55 p.m.
exo2769
Yeah I haven't really kept up that well with Chicago this season, but you're obviously right on Carlsson.

My annoyance here is that you've decided on your side of the argument beforehand. If corsi was in favor of Stillman I'm sure you'd discard it. Relative corsi is closer, but it still doesn't account for QoT and QoC.

You are right. I made up my mind that he belongs in Rockford after the 1st game I saw him play. He wasn't that good. And thus yes, I did decided the other guys fighting for ice time...earning NHL ice time...deserved it more than he does. That doesn't mean I hate Stillman. Id love nothing more than for him to win the Norris...aka the Hawks are playing good defensively. I just haven't seen that he's earned another minute of NHL ice time until we know that he actually knows what he's doing. It's debatable.
MelonVK liked this.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 12:55 p.m.
torontos finest
idk who this is but based on the comments in here i think 1.35 mil isn't all that terrible, even over three years. worst case is you bury him and have like a 200k hit or something, best case is he outperforms his salary.
MelonVK liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit