SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New York Rangers

How Confident are You in Giving Mika an Extension

Apr. 26, 2021 at 12:51 p.m.
Amid the constant bombardment of Eichel trade proposals, the Rangers currently sit here today with a 1C of their own.

With 194 Points in 188 games over the last 3 Seasons, Zibenejad is a bona-fide 1C. Part of the reason they really don't need to pull off an Eichel trade. Why give up assets for something you already have? Especially when you don't have enough money for both after 21-22.

However, Zibenejad will be 29 when he hits Free Agency. Part of the reason people are intrigued by Eichel, since he is predominantly younger.

Regardless of Eichel, how confident would you be in giving Zibenejad a hefty extension when the time comes?

Do you feel he will maintain the same scoring pace as he moves into his mid-30's? Do some of his past injury issues concern you? Do you think it's better to avoid resigning him at all and focus that Cap space towards something else?

Thoughts...
Apr. 26, 2021 at 12:55 p.m.
RussianRangers39
i think an 8.5-9 x 4-5 years may be good for him.
Lenny7 liked this.
Apr. 26, 2021 at 1:04 p.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: RussianRangers9
i think an 8.5-9 x 4-5 years may be good for him.

Agreed. Regardless of the end dollar amount, If I'm the Rags, higher AAV over a shorter term is what I'd be pushing. Don't get stuck in a Kreider-type position, where yes, he's a solid player, but at the same time the last 2-3 years of that contract are most likely going to hurt.
Masonh618 and RussianRangers9 liked this.
Apr. 26, 2021 at 1:04 p.m.
hes a fringe 1C if were realistic
May 5, 2021 at 11:52 a.m.
He's on the #1 line, the #1 power play, and the #1 penalty kill. How many players can you say do all three? I easily give him an 8 year contract and basically let him name his price. You can't lose him. 8milx8 years easy. Think what his point production could have been this year if he wasn't freezing cold for the first couple of months...

... I just hope he takes the money and enrolls in some face off courses. Hell, let him even pay for all the centers on the team! It's the only drawback in his game, though it's team-wide.

EDIT: He would be 36 at the end of the deal, but you also need to consider how many cap raises would take place over this time. I think it averages out.
Shakabakes liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 2:27 p.m.
Quoting: mvp13
He's on the #1 line, the #1 power play, and the #1 penalty kill. How many players can you say do all three? I easily give him an 8 year contract and basically let him name his price. You can't lose him. 8milx8 years easy. Think what his point production could have been this year if he wasn't freezing cold for the first couple of months...

... I just hope he takes the money and enrolls in some face off courses. Hell, let him even pay for all the centers on the team! It's the only drawback in his game, though it's team-wide.

EDIT: He would be 36 at the end of the deal, but you also need to consider how many cap raises would take place over this time. I think it averages out.

That's the major argument. Not worried about his play at the Front end of the deal. Worried about his play at the Back end.

Making sure he is still productive enough, while also making sure you can manipulate the Cap enough around him to keep most (not all) of these young players as they come off their ELC's.
Oct. 11, 2021 at 5:05 a.m.
i dunno
Quoting: habsfan00
hes a fringe 1C if were realistic

In 2019-20 he had 41 goals in 57 games, was only 7 goals behind Ovechkin despite playing 11 less games, and had the best goal pace in the entire league. Post March 17th of this season he lead the entire league in goals, with 21 goals in 29 games, and was 3rd in points behind McDavid and MacKinnon. Granted Matthews goal pace was a bit better since he played fewer games, but my point still stands. "Fringe 1C" is a ridiculous thing to say about a two way center who, when healthy, is a top 5 goal scorer in the NHL.
Oct. 11, 2021 at 1:31 p.m.
Quoting: tea
In 2019-20 he had 41 goals in 57 games, was only 7 goals behind Ovechkin despite playing 11 less games, and had the best goal pace in the entire league. Post March 17th of this season he lead the entire league in goals, with 21 goals in 29 games, and was 3rd in points behind McDavid and MacKinnon. Granted Matthews goal pace was a bit better since he played fewer games, but my point still stands. "Fringe 1C" is a ridiculous thing to say about a two way center who, when healthy, is a top 5 goal scorer in the NHL.

No he's absolutely a fringe 1C because he isn't that good
Oct. 11, 2021 at 1:48 p.m.
i dunno
No he's absolutely a fringe 1C because he isn't that good

can you explain why you don't think he's that good?
Oct. 12, 2021 at 3:09 a.m.
Quoting: tea
can you explain why you don't think he's that good?

Far too streaky
Oct. 12, 2021 at 4:24 a.m.
i dunno
Far too streaky

wdym tho, he hasn't.. he's just developed slowly and had issues with injuries, and post-covid effects. when he's healthy he's always a goal scoring machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2FfRjDJ6bY

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll